Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

tagesschau posted:

Are you living in an alternate Canada where taxi drivers aren't being exploited by taxi companies? What actual criticism do you have that applies to Uber and not to the largest taxi company in your city?

Yes, like any other company taxi companies can be lovely to their employees but tech companies are a whole other level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What employees? The dispatchers?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
lovely to their "Independent contractors"

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

tagesschau posted:

Are you living in an alternate Canada where taxi drivers aren't being exploited by taxi companies? What actual criticism do you have that applies to Uber and not to the largest taxi company in your city?

Read the bloody article I posted and then maybe I'll waste my time having a discussion with you on this.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

THC posted:

Lol shut up tagesshau

Besides shitposting, is there a reason you're you just telling people who disagree with you to shut up without actually having any evidence to back up your position? Please actually read posts (HookShot's, if not mine) before spewing out ignorance like that.

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Read the bloody article I posted and then maybe I'll waste my time having a discussion with you on this.

I had already read it. About the only cogent argument in terms of day-to-day operations is that it's less efficient to maintain individual cars instead of large fleets, which I'll grant. All of the other operational problems it lists with Uber are problems with running a car service that predate Uber.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Could I just point out that there is a already a thread for slapfights about disruptive tech unicorns?

In topical content, a friend on Facebook posted about how the City of Vancouver is trying to renovict her and her family, because it turns out the basement suite they're in slightly exceeds the allowable FSR for the neighbourhood. The landlord apparently triggered this when trying to get a permit to do some other work on the house.

Lots of friends have been chiming in with useful advice, including someone who used to work in bylaw enforcement and who pointed out that they often screw up the calculation anyway.

The best, though, was a NIMBY "friend" who made a page-long post about how the City allowing her two-bedroom basement suite will lead to towers everywhere which will ruin character of the neighbourhood, and so her friend needs to be evicted for her own good.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I no longer speak to an ex friend who once told me that renters diminish the character and social cohesion of a neighbourhood. gently caress these people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Meanwhile in Idiot land

quote:

Mascot Towers 'moving in downward motion'

Sydney's Mascot Towers appears to be "moving in a downward motion", according to the building's co-ordinating engineer.

The 10-year-old building was evacuated on June 14 after engineers became concerned about continued cracking in the primary support structure and facade masonry.

Since then, residents of its 132 units have been forced to sleep elsewhere, with costs quickly adding up as authorities scramble to determine who is at fault.

Mascot Towers' coordinating engineer has now identified a new issue along the northern and eastern boundaries of the complex.

"It appears that the building is moving in a downward motion," an update sent to residents and owners on Monday night said.

The update didn't elaborate on "downward motion".

Two senior geotechnical engineers have been engaged and are visiting the site this week with help from Engineers Australia, the update said.

Internal monitoring has been expanded, while equipment to measure external movement has been set up on Church Avenue and Bourke Road.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has dodged questions over whether residents who fled Mascot Towers will eventually have to repay a loan from the government to fund emergency accommodation.

The state government on Sunday announced a multi-million dollar assistance package "until liability can be determined and these costs recovered".

The package offers one-off emergency loans to cover up to $400 per night for temporary accommodation, for a period of up to three months.

But it remains unclear what will happen if no one is found to be at fault or if insurance claims aren't paid out.

When asked to guarantee that residents themselves won't have to pay the money back, Ms Berejiklian said the government was "working through those issues".

"The engineers haven't yet finished their assessments," she said.

The money for the loans will come from the interest accumulated in the NSW Government's rental bonds fund.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/mascot-towers-moving-in-downward-motion

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

But I thought housing could only go up

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Booourns posted:

:discourse:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Isn't there a new and fuckoff tall skyscraper in San Fran doing the same, but because it's America they're just rolling with it until it collapses completely?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Booourns posted:

Everything is fine, until it isn't.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rime posted:

Isn't there a new and fuckoff tall skyscraper in San Fran doing the same, but because it's America they're just rolling with it until it collapses completely?

https://www.businessinsider.com/millennium-tower-san-francisco-tilting-sinking-timeline-2018-10

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This poo poo happens in Canada too, the only difference is it's never made public and the local media never talks about it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This poo poo happens in Canada too, the only difference is it's never made public and the local media never talks about it.

Pretty sure if a new building was abandoned by all the residents due to such poor build quality that it was literally sinking, we would be hearing about it.

Vancouver is hosed, but not that hosed (yet).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Vancouver is hosed, but not that hosed (yet).

I wonder how many will go when we get the earthquake?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

Richmond and Delta will just liquefact back into swamp.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

McGavin posted:

A large % is my guess, but that could still be hundreds of years away. Tough to account for!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

In more immediate schadenfreude,

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2357183/300-2528-e-broadway-vancouver-bc

quote:

Leaky condo, No financing available. Buyers must pay all cash. Building will either have a large special levy and will be rainscreened and remediated or sold to a developer.

And there's more:

https://weloveeastvan.com/2528-and-2468-e-broadway/

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/judge-orders-vancouver-strata-to-impose-16-million-levy-to-repair-leaky-condo-problems

Oh god, this poo poo goes way back...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ex-strata-member-gets-house-arrest-for-east-van-condo-fraud-1.2356106

Do never buy into a strata.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

I've rented in this building for the last couple of years. Half the complex has been covered by tarps for at least five years. A woodpecker burrowed into the suite two floors above me about a year ago and no one on the strata will answer my emails about it. I've heard rumors that the court-appointed manager and strata would rather teardown the whole thing instead of repair the building.

But I pay 1500 a month for a 2 bedroom close to a skytrain station.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mashed_penguin posted:

All of New West will slide in to the river

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

I've rented in this building for the last couple of years. Half the complex has been covered by tarps for at least five years. A woodpecker burrowed into the suite two floors above me about a year ago and no one on the strata will answer my emails about it. I've heard rumors that the court-appointed manager and strata would rather teardown the whole thing instead of repair the building.

But I pay 1500 a month for a 2 bedroom close to a skytrain station.

That's crazy. For a building that big I can only imagine the cost of rainscreening the whole thing properly.

Our building is about to be rainscreened and it's fairly small, 4 floors and 40 units, and the levy required was not insignificant.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

That's crazy. For a building that big I can only imagine the cost of rainscreening the whole thing properly.

Our building is about to be rainscreened and it's fairly small, 4 floors and 40 units, and the levy required was not insignificant.

quote:

Court heard that in March, 2008, following the dismissal of the petition, the strata approved a $10 million levy. Some repair work was done but the funds ran out in 2012 and a resolution for another levy to finish the work was defeated.

quote:

The judge determined that a special levy of more than $16.8 million was needed to do the repairs. She also appointed Tony Gioventu, the executive director of the Condominium Homeowners Association, as an administrator to ensure that the strata discharges its obligations.

I'm not gonna bother adjusting for inflation, but that sounds like about $30 million. According to one of those blog posts, the $16.8 mil is an average of $64,000 per unit, so I'd estimate a total cost of around $100K.

Per unit.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm not gonna bother adjusting for inflation, but that sounds like about $30 million. According to one of those blog posts, the $16.8 mil is an average of $64,000 per unit, so I'd estimate a total cost of around $100K.

Per unit.

Jesus. Do never own a condo, I guess.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Can't help but feel that with the frenzy to build as many condos as fast possible in Vancouver before the market collapses that a good chunk of buildings will have cut corners left right and centre.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Nobody, for example, wants to be in a house fire. But do you know where you especially don't want to be in a fire? 10 floors up in a building with lovely fire protections.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's gonna be mega loving hilarious when the people paying $800k for a poo poo box in the sky today are left holding the bag on repairs with the towers I've built these past three years.

I used to post pictures here, new builds are gonna be worse than the leaky condos. Way worse.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You know reading this thread sometimes makes me think all of the following:

1. All rentals are rip offs and the landlord will throw you onto the concrete outside at will
  2. Anything you can buy is an inflated price
  3. Regardless, it'll fall down around you
  4. You may think you're living here but you're already dead, and you've left behind no inheritance.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Meanwhile in Idiot land

"It appears that the building is moving in a downward motion,"
I wonder how many times this was reported and written off as "That dude must be SO high."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mashed_penguin posted:

The great thing about the plate that the Lower Mainland sits on is that it rides up until there is a big one then falls back down. Everything in Richmond may sink into the earth, but the real problem will be the -20 to -40 metre drop in the plate, and accompanying tsunami.

Living in Vancouver is basically a constant tension between the danger of being made homeless, worrying whether a building will fall on you, drowning at work unexpectedly or climate change making your apartment be 50c.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

ocrumsprug posted:

The great thing about the plate that the Lower Mainland sits on is that it rides up until there is a big one then falls back down. Everything in Richmond may sink into the earth, but the real problem will be the -20 to -40 metre drop in the plate, and accompanying tsunami.

Living in Vancouver is basically a constant tension between the danger of being made homeless, worrying whether a building will fall on you, drowning at work unexpectedly or climate change making your apartment be 50c.

How fast does a drop like that happen? Wouldn't that unconditionally level the area?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yes

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vehementi posted:

How fast does a drop like that happen? Wouldn't that unconditionally level the area?

I am not a geologist but assuming a magnitude 9 or 10 quake takes about 3-4 minutes, it will take about 3-4 minutes. I don’t think anything is actually built for a bad quake here so it probably will be a bad day all around.

Edit:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

I misremembered, ~2 metres down and 10-35 metres to the west. Which is still holy poo poo bad.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 27, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

To be clear we are talking about a tsunami upwards of 20 metres high. Which would put an entire 3 story building underwater

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
a Tsunami isn't really what the GVRD has to worry about in a huge earthquake scenario

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

ocrumsprug posted:

I am not a geologist but assuming a magnitude 9 or 10 quake takes about 3-4 minutes, it will take about 3-4 minutes. I don’t think anything is actually built for a bad quake here so it probably will be a bad day all around.

Edit:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

I misremembered, ~2 metres down and 10-35 metres to the west. Which is still holy poo poo bad.

Holy poo poo, the 3rd to last paragraph. A tax increase amounting to an extra $21.6 a year for million dollar homes was proposed to build a new school, outside of the tsunami inundation zone, for 1600 K-12 students. 62% of voters voted against it.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 27, 2019

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Per unit.

These charges are also relative to the size of your unit, it isn't a flat rate across all units. Bachelor suites would be paying in the lower 70's, with two and three bedrooms getting hit for an ungodly sum of 120k+

JawKnee posted:

a Tsunami isn't really what the GVRD has to worry about in a huge earthquake scenario

Yes. From google:

"Vancouver Island's largest historic earthquake (and Canada's largest historic onshore earthquake) was a magnitude 7.3 event that occurred at 10:13 a.m. on Sunday June 23, 1946.

This earthquake caused considerable damage on Vancouver Island (see photos), and was felt as far away as Portland Oregon, and Prince Rupert B.C. The earthquake knocked down 75% of the chimneys in the closest communities, Cumberland, Union Bay, and Courtenay and did considerable damage in Comox, Port Alberni, and Powell River (on the eastern side of Georgia Strait). A number of chimneys were shaken down in Victoria and people in Victoria and Vancouver were frightened - many running into the streets. Two deaths resulted from this earthquake, one due to drowning when a small boat capsized in an earthquake-generated wave, and the other from a heart attack in Seattle."

Earthquake ratings are exponential, so an 8 is going to be a lot loving bigger than this 7.3 let alone a 9 or shudder a 10. Regardless, even a quake that large from the approximate zone the big one will happen only resulted in mild shaking in Vancouver, but absolutely rocked the island.

It's pretty safe to assume the big one is going to bring some things down, and cause a TON of damage. I do not think however, that it is going to completely level the lower mainland. The island will more than likely be completely demolished.

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 27, 2019

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think that most of the destruction on Vancouver Island will once again be limited to brick buildings, chimneys, and all of Port Alberni.

Most of the buildings on Vancouver Island are wood frame, and are pretty difficult to knock down regardless of the size of the earthquake. The earthquake will still absolutely gently caress up everything inside the building, but the building itself will likely remain standing.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

I think that most of the destruction on Vancouver Island will once again be limited to brick buildings, chimneys, and all of Port Alberni.

Most of the buildings on Vancouver Island are wood frame, and are pretty difficult to knock down regardless of the size of the earthquake. The earthquake will still absolutely gently caress up everything inside the building, but the building itself will likely remain standing.

When my hometown got turbofucked by an earthquake in New Zealand a while back the buildings largely stayed up. The real damage was to all the underground utilities like power water and sewer which took a long long time to fix. Also even if buildings don't fall down it doesn't mean that they are safe to stay up. A huge part of the downtown core had to be demolished as it was much cheaper to rebuild new buildings than try and fix damaged ones.

That earthquake was "only" a 6.5 but because of its depth, epicenter location and the fact it was largely lateral shaking it did a huge amount of damage for comparatively little energy.

Christchurch was built largely on reclaimed marshland so its a pretty good case study for what would happen to the swampy parts of the lower mainland that have very similar geology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yes. From google:

"Vancouver Island's largest historic earthquake (and Canada's largest historic onshore earthquake) was a magnitude 7.3 event that occurred at 10:13 a.m. on Sunday June 23, 1946.

This earthquake caused considerable damage on Vancouver Island (see photos), and was felt as far away as Portland Oregon, and Prince Rupert B.C. The earthquake knocked down 75% of the chimneys in the closest communities, Cumberland, Union Bay, and Courtenay and did considerable damage in Comox, Port Alberni, and Powell River (on the eastern side of Georgia Strait). A number of chimneys were shaken down in Victoria and people in Victoria and Vancouver were frightened - many running into the streets. Two deaths resulted from this earthquake, one due to drowning when a small boat capsized in an earthquake-generated wave, and the other from a heart attack in Seattle."

Earthquake ratings are exponential, so an 8 is going to be a lot loving bigger than this 7.3 let alone a 9 or shudder a 10. Regardless, even a quake that large from the approximate zone the big one will happen only resulted in mild shaking in Vancouver, but absolutely rocked the island.

It's pretty safe to assume the big one is going to bring some things down, and cause a TON of damage. I do not think however, that it is going to completely level the lower mainland. The island will more than likely be completely demolished.

Except that he specifically posted that a tsunami isn't what Vancouver will have to worry about. Sure, a lot of poo poo will get levelled, but it would have to be insanely unlucky for a tsunami to go around the island, up the straight and head down the Fraser river.