Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
Every time I take VTA I regret it. I still ride it when I resign myself to inhaling the hot piss wind in an empty downtown San Jose, but it is a joke designed to "prove" to idiots that trains are a waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I like the fact that with something like BRT you can have a separate right of way, then at the end go off onto the surface roads in suburbia to get people close to their homes without them having to get off light rail and transfer to connector buses.

However that dedicated road surface is going to get bumpy just like any other road, whereas rails tend to have to be smoother. Also rails have larger radius turns than a bus can do. I think both of those things add up to a smoother, more comfortable ride on light rail - yes you still have to sit next to someone who is potentially smelly, but at least they're not being thrown into you every time you go over a bump or around a corner. Maybe that's why "buses are for poor people" - they are in fact not quite as nice? I don't feel like the difference is that significant though.

Buses wreak havoc on roadways because even though they weigh less then semis, that weight is sitting on 6 tires, not 18.

Ventura Blvd has parallel ridges formed in the asphalt by buses that are bad enough to take down a bicycle if you're not paying attention.

A decent subway system is a good investment.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Come to LA we're dropping fat stacks on transit

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's okay one of our unions also just rejected the latest labor offer yesterday as well by like a 90% margin (which they absolutely should have because the County was trying to screw them pretty badly) so all our operators might be going on strike as early as next week.

FWIW ignoring the Cato institute poo poo all the stuff in the report about how our board of directors is an under-qualified, disinterested collection of catfighting politicians more interested in jockeying for position and padding their resumes than actually doing their jobs is 100% true.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sydin posted:

our board of directors is an under-qualified, disinterested collection of catfighting politicians more interested in jockeying for position and padding their resumes than actually doing their jobs is 100% true.

You could accurately say that about 99% of all boards of directors that exist, to be fair

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Immigration sweeps postponed 2 weeks so officials totally blindsided by Trump just pulling this order out of his rear end a few days ago have time to actually plan them "Democrats and Republicans can get together and work out a solution to the Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border. If not, Deportations start!”

Meanwhile some police depts. in CA have publicly stated they won't help. Which is not the same thing as actively interfering, of course, but it's significant.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-trump-immigration-sweeps-police-explainer-california-20190622-story.html

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cops... g-

Nah can't even finish that one.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Come to LA we're dropping fat stacks on transit

Still waiting for trump to get out so the feds can make it rain with transit money for the olympics.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Aparently half a dozen ICE vans were parked outside a school. Thats some hosed up poo poo.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Aparently half a dozen ICE vans were parked outside a school. Thats some hosed up poo poo.
Thank you for your amazing reporting. You did a great job of answering the Five W's.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

who: ice vans
what: parking
when: the recent past
where: a school
why: to do some hosed up poo poo, presumably (unclear)

4/5 also the principal wants to see you at the office for some reason

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Did you take a poo poo on them

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...es-records-show

Well, Ricardo Lara is getting off to a great start
:murder:

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Is it terrible of me not wanting to live in this state anymore? Things just seem to keep getting worse

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ragedx posted:

Is it terrible of me not wanting to live in this state anymore? Things just seem to keep getting worse

i hear idaho is nice......

according to all the boomer conservatives i know cashing out their prop 13 house and either have or moving to idaho

in all serious though, america is getting worse and worse so if that's your criteria, your best bet is to move to NZ or something which is working on killing its lolbertarian policies. probably the only state that's been coming up on being less terrible is Colorado--which is predictably also undergoing housing prices that have doubled in like the last 5 years

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 10, 2019

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ragedx posted:

Where you gonna go to?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

in all serious though, america is getting worse and worse so if that's your criteria, your best bet is to move to NZ or something which is working on killing its lolbertarian policies. probably the only state that's been coming up on being less terrible is Colorado--which is predictably also undergoing housing prices that have doubled in like the last 5 years

And if you move to Colorado everyone will blame you personally for the housing price increases because you moved from California.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ragedx posted:

Which things bother you the most, and are there any groups in your areas working on them?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I love North california.

Prices for housing will come down in the next few years (NOT TALKING ABOUT SF please dont kill me)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I love North california.

Prices for housing will come down in the next few years (NOT TALKING ABOUT SF please dont kill me)

...?

....???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Market's getting a little soft, and there's some high-priced real estate in outlying areas that just refuses to move (because millenials and zoomers cannot afford boomer mcmansions in Bakersfield)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 10, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

fits my needs posted:

Where you gonna go to?

That's the real question, right? If California is getting worse, you're either a chud and should move to Idaho, or you're not looking at everywhere else that is getting even worse-r, faster.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

That's the real question, right? If California is getting worse, you're either a chud and should move to Idaho, or you're not looking at everywhere else that is getting even worse-r, faster.

Being a transplant really steels my resolve to hang on. Let some native-born Californian move away and see if the grass is greener, I know exactly what color it is.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Market's getting a little soft, and there's some high-priced real estate in outlying areas that just refuses to move (because millenials and zoomers cannot afford boomer mcmansions in Bakersfield)

That's not gonna bring down prices though, it'll just slow the rate that they grow. Wish I had that poster's confidence about housing prices coming down in the near term. As far as I can tell only a radical change in housing policy will make that happen.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

ragedx posted:

Yes. This is what Republicans say constantly on my Assembly rep's Facebook posts. Don't be like them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Housing prices on my block in concord, california have gone up 20% since last year, based on a recent sale five houses down and the asking price of the place next door, compared to sales last summer

There does seem to be more selling activity in my area, which implies a larger inventory, and that isn't suppressing prices but it might mean a house is for sale for two weeks instead of two days.

Always remember that housing prices are based on supply & demand, there's a huge pent-up demand for more affordable (lol, "more" affordable is relative) homes, and that demand doesn't just all vanish if e.g. a normal recession happens and unemployment goes up 2-4 percentage points. If prices soften, a bunch of people previously priced out of the market are suddenly priced in, and that acts to reduce the rate at which housing prices can fall. Moreover, rate increases have stalled, it seems unlikely we'll see any significant rise in borrowing costs, especially if we hit a recession, and low rates continue to stimulate buying.

Irrespective of my highly localized market, California is still a state with high levels of employment, high earners, and a growing population; meanwhile, few communities are adding enough housing to keep up with the projected demand based on projected growth. All of these factors conspire to say: yeah no, prices aren't going to plunge. At best, we might see a softening of prices if we hit a recession soon. There's not going to be another 2008 style mortgage crisis. The next big financial crisis is always different from the last. Make your plans for the future accordingly.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
The biggest problem I see with the state or at least in my opinion, is that its killing the "little guy" trying to make it. Business get screwed with a bunch of dumb pointless laws and taxes. It is becoming harder to live her with rising prices on most things.Then there is the things that are forced upon the kids in schools like sex ed to vaccines. I don't really care much about the last point but it would be nice if parents actually had a say in what happens to their children in a school environment and not just some state people. The real killer for me is the constant dumb rear end laws that keep passing that make no real sense. I love the state when it comes to weather and looks but good portion of people are just toxic and stupid. I lived in Texas for 2 years and that place seemed like a whole other world. The people there were so much nicer.

*edit* fixed some wording.

ragedx fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 10, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lol never mind get out

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The city where I live in NorCal had its population increase by 20% over the last year (100k to 120k), so there’s basically no hope left for me to find affordable real estate anymore. Housing pressure created by fire refugees is only going to get worse as huge blazes become more frequent and we continue building in the wildland-urban interface.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ragedx posted:

The biggest problem I see with the state or at least in my opinion, is that its killing the "little guy" trying to make it. Business get screwed with a bunch of dumb pointless laws and taxes. It is becoming harder to live her with rising prices on most things.Then there is the things that are forced upon the kids in schools like sex ed to vaccines. I don't really care much about the last point but it would be nice if parents actually had a say in what happens to their children in a school environment and not just some state people. The real killer for me is the constant dumb rear end laws that keep passing that make no real sense. I love the state when it comes to weather and looks but the people are just toxic and stupid. I lived in Texas for 2 years and that place seemed like a whole other world. The people there were so much nicer.

Is this a bit?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CPColin posted:

Lol never mind get out

:hmmyes:

I mean you've got a point that sometimes there are stupid laws and regulations, but 1) vaccines are cool and good 2) sex ed is cool and good and really, thinking that either of those are bad disqualifies you from our liberal hippy Commufornia (lol it's not) so :frogout: because we're mean Californians

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ragedx posted:

The biggest problem I see with the state or at least in my opinion, is that its killing the "little guy" trying to make it. Business get screwed with a bunch of dumb pointless laws and taxes. It is becoming harder to live her with rising prices on most things.Then there is the things that are forced upon the kids in schools like sex ed to vaccines. I don't really care much about the last point but it would be nice if parents actually had a say in what happens to their children in a school environment and not just some state people. The real killer for me is the constant dumb rear end laws that keep passing that make no real sense. I love the state when it comes to weather and looks but the people are just toxic and stupid. I lived in Texas for 2 years and that place seemed like a whole other world. The people there were so much nicer.

Might I suggest Pickens Country, Alabama?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ragedx posted:

The biggest problem I see with the state or at least in my opinion, is that its killing the "little guy" trying to make it.

Couldn't even make it a sentence before rolling out the most tired GOP talking point wrt California imaginable. 0/10 please see me after class.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ragedx posted:

The biggest problem I see with the state or at least in my opinion, is that its killing the "little guy" trying to make it. Business get screwed with a bunch of dumb pointless laws and taxes. It is becoming harder to live her with rising prices on most things.Then there is the things that are forced upon the kids in schools like sex ed to vaccines. I don't really care much about the last point but it would be nice if parents actually had a say in what happens to their children in a school environment and not just some state people. The real killer for me is the constant dumb rear end laws that keep passing that make no real sense. I love the state when it comes to weather and looks but good portion of people are just toxic and stupid. I lived in Texas for 2 years and that place seemed like a whole other world. The people there were so much nicer.

*edit* fixed some wording.

glad i asked

i agree that people act nicer in Texas. people on the coasts are all assholes, but east coasters think that's good, while west coasters think they aren't

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

It's cool and good to believe that there are so many dumbass, pointless laws being passed that he has to move away, but can't actually name any of the ones that are bothering him, let alone why they're bad. It's also really clever to call Californians stupid and toxic and also not believe in vaccines.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I just want a 2-3BR house within 45 min of my job to not cost more than it'd take for me to retire right now basically anywhere else on earth. :v:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Move back to Texas then

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I have lived in Texas most of my life. People here are mostly miserable cunts that hate everyone because they hate their own lives and need to reflect it outwards to deal with that. Californians are much nicer. Or at least they are in San Diego.

And that's why we're moving to Encinitas as soon as our pensions here have vested so we at least get back something, eventually, maybe.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Parents who want to withhold vaccines from their children should have their children taken away from them, gently caress that. And you absolutely can remove your kids from sex ed, though you shouldn't, sex ed is cool and good.

Good luck finding a single state without dumb/unnecessary laws and regulations anyway. I'll take CA's straw ban or whatever over Texas' legislative crusade against The Gays.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh nooo, the small business owner and CA's burdensome taxes and regulations, oooh nooo

https://www.guidantfinancial.com/2018-small-business-trends/2018-california-business-trends/

quote:

According to Guidant’s 2018 State of Small Business survey, launched in partnership with online credit marketplace LendingClub, California is the most popular state for small business ownership (home to 13 percent of all small businesses and 4 percent of aspiring entrepreneurs).
You might expect that this West Coast state (with two female senators) is ahead of the curve when it comes to women in business, and you’d be correct. Though only 30 percent of California respondents identified as female, the state’s representation of women-owned businesses is 15 percent higher than the national average. And there’s a good chance you’ll see this number continue to increase — a recent study focused on women in business found that everyday, 129 new women-owned businesses open in California, which puts them in the lead for all 50 states.
If you’re considering opening a business in California, it’s possible to get started for five figures. It’s true; even though the cost of living is significantly higher than most locations across the U.S., starting a business is relatively affordable. According to our survey, almost half of California business owners spent $50,000 or less to start or buy their business.
Forty-one percent of respondents in this segment reported their happiness as small business owners as a 10 out of 10. Some of this happiness is possibly due to the fact that business for Californians is good — well over half of respondents indicated their operation is currently profitable and 62 percent are actively looking to grow or expand.

ok but that's a biased source right? here's what the federal gubmint says
https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/advocacy/2018-Small-Business-Profiles-CA.pdf

quote:

California small businesses employed 7.0 million people, or 48.8% of the private workforce, in 2015.
Small businesses created 283,452 net jobs in 2015. Firms employing fewer than 20 employees experienced the largest gains, adding 174,952 net jobs. The smallest gains were in firms employing 100 to 499 employees, which added 53,170 net jobs.

OK but what about profits, where is the best place to start a small business?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/03/the-top-city-to-start-a-small-business-in-america.html

quote:

New York City overtook small-business city leader San Jose, California, the hub of Silicon Valley, last year. The California city has the No. 2 spot on the list. While technology companies are thriving in Silicon Valley, the high cost of doing business and the high cost of living is taking a bite out of profits for many small firms. High taxes and commercial rents are a significant drag on small-business owners there.

As a result, the average annual revenue for small businesses in New York City is $1,016,446 compared to $748,529 in San Jose, the Biz2Credit survey revealed.

Oh. I thought it was supposed to be Texas! :argh:

quote:

The Top 25 Cities for Small Business in 2018 ( 2017 ranking in parentheses)

New York City (No. 1)
San Jose, California (No. 4)
Miami-Fort Lauderdale (No. 2)
San Francisco (No. 8)
Los Angeles(No. 5)
Riverside-San Bernardino, California (No. 10)
Washington, D.C. (No. 16)
Austin, Texas (No. 3)
San Diego (No. 14)
Sacramento, California (No. 18)
Phoenix (No. 7)
Chicago (No. 19)
Dallas-Fort Worth (No. 13)
Seattle (No. 6)
Atlanta (No. 20)
Baltimore (No. 12)
Denver (No. 17)
Las Vegas (No. 23)
San Antonio (No. 21)
Detroit (No. 15)
Houston (No. 11)
Philadelphia (No. 24)
Portland, Oregon (No. 11)
Charlotte, North Carolina (No. 22)
Kansas City, Missouri

Oh OK, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and houston are at least on the list! But so are four California cities. All of which went up in rankings in 2018 compared to 2017; meanwhile, austin dropped in rankings, dallas was flat, houston fell, and san antonio went up 2 spots from 21st to 19th. Go san antonio!

Yyyeaah, I mean we do have high taxes and more regulation in California, and some business owners decide to leave because of it. But on the other hand, it sure seems like a shitload of small businesses are making a shitload of money here! It can't be that bad! But feel free to go back to texas, it seems to be fine there too (in the liberal blue cities, specifically, lol)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
It's definitely the vaccines and sex ed that are holding this state back.