Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Assassin in the Palace is a nightless Mafia variant.

quote:

There is one King, one Assassin, and the remainder of the players are Guards who are all told the identity of the King.

The Assassin has one kill that they can use at any time during the game, typically after being lynched. Their goal is to identify the King so that they can use this kill against him. If the Assassin successfully kills the King, then they win, otherwise the King and Guards win. The Assassin doesn't need to survive to win.

There's a problem with this game, though. In all situations, the best possible strategy is to communicate through nothing but votes until you get lucky and hit the Assassin. I've come up with a variant that should resolve this issue. Instead of Guards, there is one King, one Assassin, and the rest of the players are Nobles. Every Noble has another Noble that they are infatuated with, which they are told the identity of at the same time as the King. At the end of the game, a Noble only wins if both the King and the subject of their infatuation is still alive. They do not, themselves, still need to be alive.

Example:
A is King.
B is Assassin.
C, D, E, and F are all Nobles.

A wins if he survives to the end.
B wins if, when they make their kill, they target the king.
C only wins if both A and D are alive at the end.
D only wins if both A and E are alive at the end.
E only wins if both A and F are alive at the end.
F only wins if both A and C are alive at the end.

This should, hopefully, motivate all players to take a more active interest in who does or doesn't get voted out. If it doesn't, then, well, at least I tried. This will be a game for six players, to keep it small at first, starting with the generally-agreed-upon most balanced number for traditional AitP.

:siren: Don't sign up if you don't intend to be active, there's too few players for lurking to be even a little okay. :siren:

Players:
1. merk
2. Mr. Steak
3. kaschei
4. RF
5. SolusLunes
6. Toalpaz

Game will start Sunday, probably.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

This is a cool game that I would sign up for but I'm already in two mafia games and everdunes, but I hope this goes well!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will play if this starts on Sunday or later. If it starts before then, I shouldn't play!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

merk posted:

I will play if this starts on Sunday or later. If it starts before then, I shouldn't play!
Sure.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sounds super fun! very different from mafia so i do feel comfortable sining up while im alive in 2 games and have signed up for a 3rd..... :v: :v:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I will try to break this game (if I’m a noble) so kill me quick if I don’t

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm here about the rear end

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

sure since I'm dead in the other two mafia games I'll play

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We still need to scare up one more.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I, Toalpaz, shall do this game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hooray! Role PMs going out in a minute.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (6): kaschei, merk, Mr. Steak, Retro Futurist, SolusLunes, Toalpaz

With 6 alive, it's 4 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 23rd, 2019 at 8 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day, 20 hours.

Game begins now!

Short deadlines, it's a small game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Confirming that I hope nobody assassinates me, the king :chord:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

If we assume that nobles are somewhat truthful and the assassin will lie I think it would be pretty easy to break the game given we each know two people who aren't scum.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

never mind I read the rules, lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im definitely not sure how to play this strategically, but the vanilla rules sound like a sort of "indian chief" style game (if you've ever played that children's game) where the assassin is trying to see who all the votes are following

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i kinda feel like, if the "infatuations" in this variant are circular like in your example, then going by standard mafia practice when a player's win condition is void, as soon as a single noble dies, the rest of the nobles would be removed from the game haha

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway uhh ## vote solus

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I still think it will be easy to break the game.

For instance, "make a list of all other players but if you are a noble, put your infatuation after the name of the King"

There's a cycle of noble infatuation that should be leverageable. I think the tricky part is the King has to be able to act like a noble.

I certainly think it's possible to make codebreaking a lot of work for the assassin but my first thoughts are leaking information.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There definitely is at least one cycle, I was making notes using KA1234 for 1 infatuated with 2 infatuated with 3 infatuated with 4 infatuated with 1, King, Assassin

I thought the rules said there were no reciprocal infatuations before the game started so I was assuming 1>2>3>4>1. If reciprocal infatuations are allowed there may be 1>2>1 and 3>4>3.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the issue with just confirming every noble is that the assassin can kill after the lynch, so we have to lynch them without handing them the king

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how about this: take the # of letters in the king's name, cut it in half, then add 1. thats the player # i am infatuated with

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

That’s stupid

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
shrug

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

How about we not try to do things like use the name of the king to pass secret codes. I know I didn't say that, but it's against the spirit of the game.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PMush Perfect posted:

How about we not try to do things like use the name of the king to pass secret codes. I know I didn't say that, but it's against the spirit of the game.

im sorry pmuch...

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im still unsure how to "socially" play this game. like, without breaking it

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like, my thoughts are going to, like, "yeah so the player mentioned in the king's 5th post is my infatuation" or whatever

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

We’re literally trying to communicate secret info on a public channel

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

The moon is round.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

ciabatta is an Italian word for a lady's slipper

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello!!!!!!

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Steak posted:

anyway uhh ## vote solus

look buddy fuk u ##vote toalpaz

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm pretty sure the correct way to play this game is as follows: ##vote kaschei

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is an odd game because I don't care who you're infatuated with any more than the scum care who you are infatuated with. Doing this secret code stuff to try to tell the other town my noble will eventually give scum enough to figure out who is king.

The way to play the game is just to put someone up for lynch, make them claim, and then see if anyone has a counterclaim. If anyone has a better idea, I'm :allears:. However, I think this is it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
...and we also have to be sly when we finally have the scum up for lynch and he/she claims. For example, if scum say "I am infatuated with [king]," then someone has to act like they are counterclaiming "no, you aren't, I am" or something with a vote. All of the other town will know that this player must be scum immediately when the claim happens, but we can't give that away!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
To me, this is, unfortunately, just a game of probability with a little bit of subterfuge on each side. Am I thinking about this wrong?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

##vote merk

Delete this scums imo

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

merk posted:

This is an odd game because I don't care who you're infatuated with any more than the scum care who you are infatuated with. Doing this secret code stuff to try to tell the other town my noble will eventually give scum enough to figure out who is king.

The way to play the game is just to put someone up for lynch, make them claim, and then see if anyone has a counterclaim. If anyone has a better idea, I'm :allears:. However, I think this is it.

merk posted:

...and we also have to be sly when we finally have the scum up for lynch and he/she claims. For example, if scum say "I am infatuated with [king]," then someone has to act like they are counterclaiming "no, you aren't, I am" or something with a vote. All of the other town will know that this player must be scum immediately when the claim happens, but we can't give that away!

Hmm.

Yeah, I gotta say, the infatuation mechanics are... odd. I'd rather the game not have done a specific thing in the PMs and instead left it possibly ambiguous. Or if there was some sort of confirmation in the OP that there could be people who are targets of multiple infatuations, and people who are targets of none.

Either way let's ##vote merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

PMush Perfect posted:

Example:
A is King.
B is Assassin.
C, D, E, and F are all Nobles.

A wins if he survives to the end.
B wins if, when they make their kill, they target the king.
C only wins if both A and D are alive at the end.
D only wins if both A and E are alive at the end.
E only wins if both A and F are alive at the end.
F only wins if both A and C are alive at the end.

Is this not the setup?