Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Patrick Weigel has been called up to the Braves mlb roster twice this season, has spent a total of about two weeks on the roster and dressed and has been sent back down both times without making an appearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'd prefer the juices going directly into the rear end of my favorite athletes rather than the ball, thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Probably a bunch of people in straw boaters watching Ruth hit no. 61: "No! Nooooooo!"

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Aberrant league-wise offensive trends are stored in the balls.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Juiced ball rules. I can't wait for Gleyber to hit 2 more HRs tonight and Gary Thorne to lose his poo poo.

Remember when everyone condemned Barry Bonds for cheating to hit more hrs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Juiced players: bad
Juiced ball: good

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm extremely curious what this new ball is going to do to upcoming contract negotiations. i imagine we'll see some real holdouts.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

euphronius posted:

So, only John Kruk can be good?

Tom Gorman posted:

There are lots of sweet swings in the history of baseball. Some are awesome because they're weird, some are awesome because they're smooth and effortless.

I love Cal Ripken for how he constantly changed his batting stance. As for swings- it ain't necessarily pretty but Vlad Guerrero Sr. could hit just about anything within 6 inches of the plate.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'd prefer the juices going directly into the rear end of my favorite athletes rather than the ball, thanks.

...hot?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

i just learned that noted the hebrew hammer hank greenberg spent 47 months in the service, right in the middle of his career. he also puts religion first and rests on holidays

anyway hank greenberg was cool

Greenberg was great and this quote always makes me feel feelings.

"When I was playing, I used to resent being singled out as a Jewish ballplayer. I wanted to be known as a great ballplayer, period. I'm not sure why or when I changed, because I'm still not a particularly religious person. Lately, though, I find myself wanting to be remembered not only as a great ballplayer, but even more as a great Jewish ballplayer."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

euphronius posted:

That actually seems perfectly consistent to me? You're comparing an individual player doing something against the rules to boost their performance vs the league changing up the conditions to boost everyone's performances. By all means you can not like the league doing that but its not "cheating". Everyone's playing with the same balls so its not giving one player an edge over the other. And no rules are being broken.

Look, I was just making a joke about Gleyber Torres. The truth is I don't really care about whether the ball is juiced or not. I decided a long time ago that historical baseball numbers were a mess with "steroid eras" and "segregated eras" and amphetamines and raised and lowered mounds and shorter schedules and more road trips and breaking pitches and whatever. So like boosts in league wide numbers are just a thing to me that happens cyclicly in baseball. Five years from now the "juiced ball is ruining baseball" people will win out and they'll make a change and then we'll go through a new period that a bunch of people will declare the end of baseball and rinse and repeat.

But for the record I think Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame along with the rest of the "cheaters" because it was clearly spread around enough to be a "steroid era" and the Hall has let in a bunch of other cheaters. But he's also an rear end in a top hat so I'm not crying for him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There is all a juiced ball and high altitude in the Mexican League. Felix Pie is hitting .399/.483/.703 but don't worry, the best pitcher is james russell.

All this comes from a cbs sports article about how Chris Carter has become an unstoppable Dinger God and now i want to go to mexican league games and remember some guys.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bewbies posted:

i just learned that noted the hebrew hammer hank greenberg spent 47 months in the service, right in the middle of his career. he also puts religion first and rests on holidays

anyway hank greenberg was cool

Moe Berg seems like a more intriguing Jewish player who served in WW2, although he clearly wasn’t as good a player.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Popete posted:

PCL also got the juiced ball and home runs are way up this year as well.

EDIT: In 2018 the PCL hit a total of 2097 home runs. So far in ~120 (of 140) games there have been 2874 home runs hit in 2019, which is on pace for a ~48% increase in home runs. Juiced ball makes the steroid era look like a joke.

Im not saying it isn't a thing there too, just that the PCL has always been a crazy hitting environment and the ball would play even worse there because of it

zoux posted:

Yeah why's everyone so mad about more offense

Anyway, the PCL averaged just under one HR per game in 2018, this year it's 1.5. Slugging is up .060 over last year. Doubles are a lot closer, 1.82/per to 1.98/per in 2019. Total hits, 9.5 per game this year, 9.1 per game last.

It's juiced in a way that makes pitchers suck, which is not entertaining.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Someone should tell the Phillies that they can hit juiced balls too

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do league trends immediately impact WAR calculations?

Like, assume you have two players putting up identical numbers with identical fielding stats, one in 2019, and one in 1989. Is the 1989 guy's WAR going to be higher?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Didn't fangraphs or bbref recently go back and change dWAR for catchers based on some random stuff?

Also, it doesn't really make pitchers suck, and this is why HoF numbers should always be compared to the era they pitched in and not historical numbers.

Which is why Pedro is always #1 :D

I don't really care if the ball is juiced, I just wish the dumbfucks that run the league would admit it or just say something like "yes we tried some new stuff with the ball this season to see if it would improve offense for viewership purposes" or whatever their reasoning was. Instead of just being like "nah we have no idea what you are talking about and science is dumb."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

There is all a juiced ball and high altitude in the Mexican League. Felix Pie is hitting .399/.483/.703 but don't worry, the best pitcher is james russell.

All this comes from a cbs sports article about how Chris Carter has become an unstoppable Dinger God and now i want to go to mexican league games and remember some guys.

Chris Carter has 43 HR in 482 PA for Monclova. Dang. I don't even think Monclova is up on Altiplano.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually still of the mind that the ball is an accident of them just trying to make them cheaper, but they like the perks and don't wanna say "yeah, we were just being cheap but we got lucky!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Didn't fangraphs or bbref recently go back and change dWAR for catchers based on some random stuff?
Fangraphs started factoring in framing runs into catcher fWAR pretty heavily and it tanked the fWAR of poo poo framers.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fangraphs made big changes to their WAR function based on framing data a few months back, yeah.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

STAC Goat posted:

I'm actually still of the mind that the ball is an accident of them just trying to make them cheaper, but they like the perks and don't wanna say "yeah, we were just being cheap but we got lucky!"

This would actually be great. They just sourced some different kind of rubber because it was cheaper and all of a sudden every pitcher in the league has a 1.5+ HR9.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
With that windup I imagine Babe Ruth would struggle to hit a 100mph heater.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That astrophysicist said it's due to the ball being rounder and the seam height being lower. As the actual ball approaches the Platonic baseball, it's going to go further.

Also don't underestimate that more dudes are told to go out there and rip the gently caress out of the ball rather than choke up and get a crafty small ball single these days, that's got to contribute. Wasn't that why Urshela started going HAM

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Just move the fences back another 20' to compensate. :downs:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

That astrophysicist said it's due to the ball being rounder and the seam height being lower. As the actual ball approaches the Platonic baseball, it's going to go further.

Also don't underestimate that more dudes are told to go out there and rip the gently caress out of the ball rather than choke up and get a crafty small ball single these days, that's got to contribute. Wasn't that why Urshela started going HAM

Yeah, everything I've read/heard is that they hired someone new for the balls and the new people stitch the ball tighter which makes it more aerodynamic or something and the pitchers have a harder time gripping the seams.

But yeah, there's also clearly a change in batting philosophy that factors in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Dog posted:

Just move the fences back another 20' to compensate. :downs:

The Atlantic league was supposed to move the mound back 2' in the second half of the season but they decided to postpone that

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Zach Wheeler is currently the best player because he has a 4.20 ERA imo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Zach Wheeler is currently the best player because he has a 4.20 ERA imo

Still can't step to the GOAT

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mccarbr01.shtml

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
69 wins and a 4.20 ERA is just so god drat good every time I see it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

seiferguy posted:

With that windup I imagine Babe Ruth would struggle to hit a 100mph heater.

The average fastball in the 20s was probably in the mid-80s, but some guys could still bring the heat in the 90s. If Ruth could hit them (and he could) then he could figure out the harder stuff. He'd almost certainly have to change his bat and swing, though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

Chris Carter has 43 HR in 482 PA for Monclova. Dang. I don't even think Monclova is up on Altiplano.

According the the article i read, the ball they are using in LMB is not the standard juiced ball but another model intentionally juiced.

quote:

There is no mystery in Mexico surrounding the origins of the juiced ball. LMB's CEO Javier Salinas admitted in May the league sought more offense when it switched from a Rawlings ball to a Franklin model over the offseason. The league's wish may have been made on a monkey's paw: the ball's carry has exceeded expectations. One team employee said "it looks like it has a rocket on it."

Batters are having no trouble initiating liftoff. The league's home-run rate had increased season-to-season from 1.8 to 2.7 per game at the time of Salinas's comments. He vowed the ball would be tweaked, but otherwise seemed cheery about the offensive uptick. "I think it has also worked for us, we have asked the fan and he likes home runs," Salinas said, per a translation. "But we also have to protect the pitching and we are looking for a ball that does not fly so much.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/chris-carter-the-home-run-king-forgotten-by-mlb-is-threatening-mexicos-single-season-homer-record/

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Ozzie Smith’s career OPS was .666. Hail goddamn Satan.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Dang, someone should sign this Cesar Valdez guy, he's got the league figured out. 14-1 with a 2.42 ERA when only 3 other pitchers are below 4.00, and a 1.09 WHIP when only 4 other pitchers are below 1.30.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
E: nvm

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Hope in the near future someone quantifies just how much the Baltimore Orioles have skewed offensive numbers. Like park factors, except it's the Orioles.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

bewbies posted:

Do league trends immediately impact WAR calculations?

Like, assume you have two players putting up identical numbers with identical fielding stats, one in 2019, and one in 1989. Is the 1989 guy's WAR going to be higher?

Yeah everything is normalized to league average and park adjusted and all that stuff. Part of the whole idea is that a 4 WAR guy today and a 4 WAR guy from 1930 should both have contributed comparably to their team. Obviously this is not necessarily an exact science, since while offensive stats are well tracked defensive stats get sketchier the farther you go back.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien/status/1161441606169505796

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i'm extremely curious what this new ball is going to do to upcoming contract negotiations. i imagine we'll see some real holdouts.
Why would the ball make that big a difference for contracts overall?