Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
26 strikeouts, only one run that was a HR by the pitcher and still losing the game is the most Mets thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Twins getting owned at home by bad teams is really cool :waycool:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Joey Freshwater posted:

26 strikeouts, only one run that was a HR by the pitcher and still losing the game is the most Mets thing.

Yeah. Honestly, until Familia took the mound, I was positive they were going to win.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Intruder posted:

He's been giving up just, like, so many hits and then skating out of trouble somehow. Feels like a disaster waiting to happen which makes the games really tense to watch

His ERA is actually better than it was on the DBacks, but his whip and FIP have both gone way up and he's not getting strikeouts while walking way more batters

The walks I'll admit are a little concerning. But it's still only 4 starts. And he's not even been terrible, just not very good. I know that isn't inspiring, but pitching is weird sometimes. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find 4 game stretches just as bad from Verlander or Cole this year. I'm not saying he's been good so far, I'm merely saying y'all have been overreacting to an extreme.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

the Mets hate giving deGrom run support like you wouldn't believe

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I looked this up recently, and over the past four seasons deGrom has been in the bottom 5 for run support in the NL three of those four years. And this is not a stat that correlates year to year, the top and bottom are always different. Except for deGrom.

eta:
deGrom run support ranking among NL pitchers
2016: 2nd least (Teheran least)
2017: 35th least (actually had pretty good run support)
2018: 2nd least (Suarez least)
2019: 3rd least (behind Alcantara and Hendricks)

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 24, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Intruder posted:

The Astros got Jeff Bagwell for a middle reliever

Looks like they may have repeated the same thing with Fields/Yordan, but way too early to compare Yordan to Bagwell

Also, Robinson Diaz for Jose Bautista

Although even Torontos GM thought he was just a bench bat at the time

And Ryan Dempster for Kyle Hendricks, made funnier by the fact that it only happened because Dempster blocked a trade to Atlanta that would have seen Randall Delgado going the other way

The Indians have pulled off highway robbery twice that I can think of: the Bartolo Colon trade (Colon pitched well but ended up being a rental), and the trade that got them Kenny Lofton (Taubensee got decent, but not til' he left Houston)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mets have a rep for making terrible terrible trades, but they got real good value for RA Dickey (Thor and d'Arnaud) and Carlos Beltran (Zack Wheeler). And they got JD Davis for nothing this off-season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

The walks I'll admit are a little concerning. But it's still only 4 starts. And he's not even been terrible, just not very good. I know that isn't inspiring, but pitching is weird sometimes. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find 4 game stretches just as bad from Verlander or Cole this year. I'm not saying he's been good so far, I'm merely saying y'all have been overreacting to an extreme.

It also came after two lights out power pitching performances by JV and Cole so it looks worse than it is. Cole looked as good as I've ever seen him on Thursday, he was blowing dudes away with 99 mph high heat all night.

But the way people were talking about him I guess I was expecting more Maddux and less Moyer, but I'm not thinking rebuild just yet. Also this 500-game stretch after the road trip from hell has made us all salty

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 24, 2019

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Don't mind Albert, he's just casually going to pass Ty Cobb for total bases, Cal Ripken for hits and Willie Mays for extra base hits before the season's over.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Astros fans approaching Yankees fans level of dissonance regarding their ace pitchers performing slightly below HoF standards and needing to rebuild.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

An extra gently caress The Yankees for single handedly raising Ryu’s ERA to 2.00 last night :argh:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

An extra gently caress The Yankees for single handedly raising Ryu’s ERA to 2.00 last night :argh:

It's what happens when "elite" NL pitching has to face AL East teams*.

* offer not valid for MD residents

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
https://twitter.com/CC_Sabathia/status/1165277218991464449?s=20

I like this tweet very much. That's the bullpen coach Mike Harkey.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Joey Freshwater posted:

On one hand the Mets never give deGrom run support. On the other hand, the Mets just can't beat the Braves even if the Braves don't show up to the ballpark.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, Robinson Diaz for Jose Bautista

Although even Torontos GM thought he was just a bench bat at the time

And Ryan Dempster for Kyle Hendricks, made funnier by the fact that it only happened because Dempster blocked a trade to Atlanta that would have seen Randall Delgado going the other way

The Indians have pulled off highway robbery twice that I can think of: the Bartolo Colon trade (Colon pitched well but ended up being a rental), and the trade that got them Kenny Lofton (Taubensee got decent, but not til' he left Houston)

They also got Kluber for Ryan Ludwick

alpha_destroy posted:

It's one of those eyeball test things really. He constantly looks like he's getting really lucky. Giving up hard hit balls for outs and having tons of traffic on the bases without anyone scoring. The high FIP backs that up a bit

e: man, his LD%, hard hit ball%, hr/fb and IFFB% have all improved on the Astros, it's only the bb/9 and k/9 that have suffered

Seems really weird

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 24, 2019

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cervelli signed and added to the roster, Alex Jackson back to Gwinnett.

Hope he's right about still wanting to do this... :shrug:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This is an actual take posted by Yahoo sports

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it would be kind of cool to see Dodgers/Yankees play in throwback uniforms but its not really that big a deal. Didi painted all his stuff real cool and CC's got "Black Aces" cleats today. Its still cool even if the uniforms are kinda lame.

And Michael Kay went on a whole rant last night about how his favorite nickname is Gardner who picked "Gardner" so its always fun to laugh at the grumpy old men.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 24, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any Given Sunday rear end uniforms

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

beejay posted:

I assume you're posting about them calling Yankees-Dodgers an "iconic matchup"

because the unis are objectively terrible

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I read this the other day and can't stop noticing it now

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1164907181134757888

Jake Marisnick is the Astros' Wet Guy

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

beejay posted:

Won't MLB think of the BRANDS?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

I assume you're posting about them calling Yankees-Dodgers an "iconic matchup"

because the unis are objectively terrible

Regardless of how you feel about the unis, saying they're ruining the series is some real old man yells at cloud poo poo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Michael Kay just spent half an inning whining about it and now I'm officially over laughing at the old men and want them to shut the gently caress up.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah I don't like the uniforms that much but I don't think it ruins any games nor do I think Yankees-Dodgers is some pinnacle of the game. Also yeah lol at "meeting of legendary brands"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
gently caress both the Dodgers and the Yankees, so they should be forced to play in color rush unis for the rest of their days.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

beejay posted:

Yeah I don't like the uniforms that much but I don't think it ruins any games nor do I think Yankees-Dodgers is some pinnacle of the game. Also yeah lol at "meeting of legendary brands"

It's true that they're probably the two biggest deal franchises in the sport though, and they also both currently have the best record in their respective leagues so this series is a big deal

I guess you could argue Red Sox or Cubs over Dodgers, but ehhh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its also the whole Brooklyn Dodgers and 11 World Series matchups thing. Its a cool series with a lot of history and the current success.

But its not some holy event or anything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A NYY/LAD WS is an ad exec’s wet dream, so everyone should be actively rooting against it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I remember people thinking the Subway Series was going to be the hugest deal ever and it goes some of the lowest ratings in history so who knows

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I assume everyone outside of NY and LA would want this "World Series Preview" to end with two divisional round knockouts.

I'm not saying its some massive event. Its just a fun August weekend series.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Something I thought was cool in the video of Yadi after he predicted Dex's home run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiVu7K9nchw

If you look in his locker behind his right shoulder you can see that he has a bobblehead in it. It's the Yadi/Clemente double bobblehead from 5/10/2019. Yadi is really proud of winning the Clemente.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

beejay posted:

They aren't wrong. The jerseys are distressingly bad.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Cervelli signed and added to the roster, Alex Jackson back to Gwinnett.

Hope he's right about still wanting to do this... :shrug:

Going straight into the lineup tonight.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

beejay posted:

A) The Jerseys are good.

B) "Meeting of legendary brands" gently caress off and die.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
N: Yordan broke the scoreboard in BP
https://twitter.com/astros/status/1165377199702044672?s=20
V:
:yeshaha:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MMP has been getting hosed up this week, someone put a ball through the Crawford boxes sign on Tuesday and apparently Ohtani bombed one into the Torchy's behind center when the Angels took BP today.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

MMP has been getting hosed up this week, someone put a ball through the Crawford boxes sign on Tuesday

Hicks also missed smashing the WS pennant by like a foot the next night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Nooooooooooo this sucks

https://twitter.com/KO_Crowley/status/1165390187595067392