Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t hate the M’s because they have one of the best current uni color schemes in baseball.

Also Ichiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Tony Phillips posted:

Just the opposite from this M's fan. Dislike the A's/Angels/Rangers far more than the Astros. Probably just had longer to not like them or something. Or cause the Astros were garbage when they came over? I have no idea. Now Houston is a drat wrecking ball and have even repeatedly murdered Felix and I can't bring myself to care or actively root against them. I think it might be because of Altuve, who is still one of those rare players you just can't dislike even as he's killing you.

Side note apropos of nothing : I was listening to some podcast that briefly talked about Gooden in an episode the other day. I was 12 his rookie season and remember him being the biggest thing in baseball for a while. Getting a Gooden card in a pack of Topps was certainly the best thing possible at the time. I've always known he had an amazing start to his career but holy Hell - just go look at his stats for 84 and 85. My God. How did a 19-20 year old kid do that poo poo?

I'm sure it's because the Astros were a free win for the first several years

Kind of like the A's are low on my dislike meter because they're the one team in the division that has yet to really poo poo right down the Astros throats at any point

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t hate the M’s because they have one of the best current uni color schemes in baseball.

Also Ichiro.

Ichiro gets a pass from me as well, as does King Felix

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also Ichiro.

Strange reason but I will absolutely take it. The throwback uni colors are also sick.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Tony Phillips posted:

Side note apropos of nothing : I was listening to some podcast that briefly talked about Gooden in an episode the other day. I was 12 his rookie season and remember him being the biggest thing in baseball for a while. Getting a Gooden card in a pack of Topps was certainly the best thing possible at the time. I've always known he had an amazing start to his career but holy Hell - just go look at his stats for 84 and 85. My God. How did a 19-20 year old kid do that poo poo?

LOTS of cocaine.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

GoatSeeGuy posted:

LOTS of cocaine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

Jansen has turned into a pumpkin as well. 1/4 in his last four save opportunities.
my favorite part about this is all the Dodger fans screaming on twitter etc that the Dodgers can’t win with Jansen being lovely, as if the Astros and Red Sox closers didn’t both suffer exactly the same fate in 2017 & 2018 respectively.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BBR says 3/4 in his last 4 opps

He did however blow 3 out of 4 from August 9 through August 28

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose

bawfuls posted:

my favorite part about this is all the Dodger fans screaming on twitter etc that the Dodgers can’t win with Jansen being lovely, as if the Astros and Red Sox closers didn’t both suffer exactly the same fate in 2017 & 2018 respectively.

Also Dave is bad and should be fired despite getting the team to the world series twice. "But they didn't win!" They scream over and over even after you tell them that neither did 28 other teams and there isn't 29 new managers every year, but Twitter is a dumb hellscape that no one should ever use anyway.

I am looking forward to going to the game on Sunday though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

To be fair, Roberts mismanaged the bullpen so badly in game 2 in 2017 that it reverberated throughout the rest of the series

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose
Oh I'm not saying that he hasn't made some really dumb fuckups that are magnified by the fact that they're world series games but it's still been an impressive run and not a reason to roll the dice on a new manager.

I don't know maybe I'm too lenient but I'm just happy I get to watch my team play more than everyone elses minus whoever they're eventually going to lose to in the world series this year.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Exodor posted:

Really good article about Danny Duffy, anxiety and bullying in sports

https://twitter.com/SamMcDowell11/status/1175030595723943943?s=20

I'm trying to figure out which veterans on the 2010 Royals were involved. I guess I can understand the fear for their jobs - that team was truly awful.

Thanks, this was a good read.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

agreed

Intruder posted:

BBR says 3/4 in his last 4 opps

He did however blow 3 out of 4 from August 9 through August 28

He sucks rear end op

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

His stats aren't terrible. I don't want the Dodgers though so I can't say what his outings generally look like

3.81 ERA, 3.57 FIP, 1.068 WHIP, 11.4 K/9 (admittedly the second lowest of his career), 2.3 BB/9 which is also his career average

Seems solid enough to me?

e: whoops I don't WATCH the Dodgers

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 21, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The certainty with which everyone says the Dodgers will again lose the World Series this year makes me feel like they’ll gently caress up and lose before they get there instead. October baseball is a chaos engine and most years we don’t actually get the two best records in the WS.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

The certainty with which everyone says the Dodgers will again lose the World Series this year makes me feel like they’ll gently caress up and lose before they get there instead. October baseball is a chaos engine and most years we don’t actually get the two best records in the WS.

Which NL team has the pitching to hang with the Dodgers?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

His stats aren't terrible. I don't want the Dodgers though so I can't say what his outings generally look like

3.81 ERA, 3.57 FIP, 1.068 WHIP, 11.4 K/9 (admittedly the lowest of his career), 2.3 BB/9 which is also his career average

Seems solid enough to me?
Jansen’s issues are twofold:
1) His cutter is not quite as hard nor sharp as it was at his peak. This means he can’t just pump endless cutters in the zone and expect guys to miss forever despite knowing what’s coming. He has to mix in other pitches, which he’s doing now but still gets stubborn about sometimes.

2) His command is not as consistent as it once was. So when you combine this with reduced stuff, sometimes he hangs fat pitches and gets punished.

So he’s not cooked, but his margin for error is much slimmer now than it used to be. He’s basically as good as Baez or Joe Kelly now, and that’s still 3 good BP arms but fans want perfection in October.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Which NL team has the pitching to hang with the Dodgers?
In just this decade we’ve seen mediocre teams go the distance many times. Any NL postseason team could beat the Dodgers in a 5 or 7 game series. They’re certainly favored, but there’s a reason Fangraphs gives them a 36% chance to win the NLCS. It’s baseball and poo poo happens.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

In just this decade we’ve seen mediocre teams go the distance many times. Any NL postseason team could beat the Dodgers in a 5 or 7 game series. They’re certainly favored, but there’s a reason Fangraphs gives them a 36% chance to win the NLCS. It’s baseball and poo poo happens.

poo poo happens but man the Dodgers have far and away the best pitching in the NL it seems like and a lineup that matches up with anyone in the league

If I had to put my entire savings on the line for any single team to reach the WS, AL or NL, it would definitely be the Dodgers

(this post will be quoted ad nauseum when the Dodgers get swept by the Brewers)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 21, 2019

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Intruder posted:

poo poo happens but man the Dodgers have far and away the best pitching in the NL it seems like and a lineup that matches up with anyone in the league

I really hope the Nationals win in October for once and takes care of the Dodgers because if the Braves make it to the NLCS I'd really rather not put our hopes on beating the Dodgers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Squall posted:

I really hope the Nationals win in October for once and takes care of the Dodgers because if the Braves make it to the NLCS I'd really rather not put our hopes on beating the Dodgers.

....huh, I thought the Nats had fallen out of the playoff picture. Guess I was thinking of the Phillies

Ok the Nats can stack up pitching wise with the Dodgers

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Pussy Boss posted:

Kimbrel is 13/15 in save opps

Thats a bullshit stat. His ERA is 6 and his WHIP is 1.5 . Thats release the poo poo pitcher numbers if its some random reliever.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers pitching is very good but Ryu is not what he was the first half of the season, Rich Hill might be dead, Kersh has a real dinger problem, and the bullpen is a jumbled mess of guys who may or may not be good on any given day (ie most bullpens)

The offense has been a bit flat lately, JT is still nursing an injury, Bellinger has really fallen off in the second half, etc.

Don’t read this as cubsposting but I’m not taking it for granted that they’ll make it. That being said I’m not even planning to attend any NLDS games this year even tho my pop gets tickets at face value thru his season ticket share.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hm I wonder how Ryu has been lately, let's fire up BBR an- :stonk:

Wow, I had no idea

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah on June 22, Ryu’s ERA was 1.27

On August 11, it was 1.45, and he’d walked 17 in 142.2 IP.

His next 4 starts:
5.2IP 4ER
4.1IP 7ER
4.2IP 7ER
4.1IP 3ER
and 6 more walks

His last start finally broke the skid, he went 7 scoreless in NY, walking none and allowing 2 hits. So maybe he’s better now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Happ is getting a playoff start lol.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A bullpen of Jansen/Urias/Kelly/Maeda and whatever the hell else should be pretty good imo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:rip: cubs

man did they suck this year

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

(this post will be quoted ad nauseum when the Dodgers get swept by the Brewers)

I stick up for you and you jam this knife in my back

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

:rip: cubs

man did they suck this year

Watching a team that's supposed to be bad, be bad, is just whatever. You get used to it. 2015 was so hype because they weren't really supposed to be that much better than the 2014 squad and instead they thundered to 97 wins and an NLCS appearance out of nowhere. Watching a team that was supposed to be good, be bad is just loving depressing though. :smith:

Turns out the FO screaming "95 wins!" to anybody who asks why they were doing nothing while the Reds, Brewers, and Cardinals all made offseason upgrades was not a viable strategy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

I stick up for you and you jam this knife in my back

Um RD informed me the Cubs season was over

(and being essentially 3 games behind the Brewers with 8 games left would seem to support that)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Um RD informed me the Cubs season was over

(and being essentially 3 games behind the Brewers with 8 games left would seem to support that)

It's the part where the Brewers advance I hate bud :)

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Poque posted:

I'd rather the Brewers beat the Dodgers if such a series happens but I hope the Nationals win the Wild Card game.

Like, even without me praying that the Nats take out the Dodgers. I am apparently just not good at this "hating my division rivals" thing.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
PECOTA was right :tinfoil:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

What if it's a Brewers/Cards NLCS

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Bregor posted:

PECOTA was right :tinfoil:

Umm, excuse me

e: Just realized this was their 2018 pre-season predictions, why does Baseball Prospectus have those and not the 2019 ones? :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squall fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 21, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Idk if I can even really blame the front office they did do some stuff and you can't really blame them for banking on the guys who won it in 2016. It's just confusing, on paper this team should be really good but they are so incredibly streaky. They'll have a couple good series where they look dominate and then a week or two were they can hardly muster a couple runs per game.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Popete posted:

Idk if I can even really blame the front office they did do some stuff and you can't really blame them for banking on the guys who won it in 2016. It's just confusing, on paper this team should be really good but they are so incredibly streaky. They'll have a couple good series where they look dominate and then a week or two were they can hardly muster a couple runs per game.

It's kind of incredible that the Brewers are doing better considering the run differential differential, Pythagoras is rolling in his grave.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Triangles don't roll

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Popete posted:

At some point we should consider the idea that 2016 was kind of really lucky. That Cubs team had like 8 guys all produce career-best years or close to it at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I agree with bawfuls, it's looking more like 2016 was the anomaly, not 2018 or 2019.