Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Modern Warfare original, which everyone praised as subversive when the US villain bombed itself but it was also a game with an entire mission replicating word for word a real AC-130 attack but instead of mosques it’s Russian houses. Then I think in a later CoD (or maybe a Battlefield?) you’re actually bombing a stronghold outside a mosque and fail if you destroy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I played MW mp a few hours this morning and seems like a good one of those imo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sound
https://i.imgur.com/4brtmtj.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Modern Warfare sets you up to shoot a baby and punishes you if you actually do it and that's all I need to know about this thanks

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Can you noob tube the baby

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still don’t understand the no russian thing from MW2.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

quote:

If you shoot the mother, she dies, slumping to the floor as the baby screams. "What the gently caress are you doing?" one soldier says. "Sort yourself out or I will," Captain Price adds

Jesus loving christ

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I said come in! posted:

I still don’t understand the no russian thing from MW2.

It's just a kind of straightforward setup plot, I dunno what's not to get.

"The player controls Joseph Allen, an undercover CIA agent who participates in a mass shooting at a Moscow airport to gain the trust of a Russian terrorist group. The leader of the terrorists tells his co-conspirators, "Remember, no Russian", implying that speaking Russian would reveal their ethnic origins and through that affiliation to the Russian ultranationalists. At the end of the level, Vladimir kills Allen and reveals that he intended for Russian officials to find Allen's body and believe that the attack was instigated by the United States."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"That's that, you'd imagine. But if you keep shooting the baby, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has a special message for you, you absolute monster: "Are you serious?"

And then you're booted to the mission map screen, Infinity Ward's words of condemnation still ringing in your ears."

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

WaltherFeng posted:

Jesus loving christ

Oh the soldier says the first line.

I thought it said that the baby screams that at you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What if the baby had a gun.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
"1v1 me f****t", the baby screams at you, "lamer noob" it continues, then after the mission you notice several new messages full of slurs in your inbox

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I am leaving my job in academia to lead a youth advocacy program. This is good because I'll be much closer to home, giving me more time to play video games, but since I will now be spending all my time radicalizing teenagers, I'll have significantly less time to post about video games, which is bad!

hell yeah, that's awesome!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

What if the baby had a gun.

then this never would have happened

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am baffled and unsure what to do with the knowledge that people actually purchased the Fallout 1st pass. I really don't care at all about these people being harassed, but also no one is in the right here for playing for Fallout 76 in the first place.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I am baffled and unsure what to do with the knowledge that people actually purchased the Fallout 1st pass. I really don't care at all about these people being harassed, but also no one is in the right here for playing for Fallout 76 in the first place.

Technically it was a discount on currency, aka the whales favorite snack

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Aside from Yakuza, what are some good beat em's ups snd hack n' slash games for the PS4?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Aside from Yakuza, what are some good beat em's ups snd hack n' slash games for the PS4?

River city girls is decent

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So like in the event Overwatch 2 is real and it's a totally separate game, like boxed product sequel and all...

Do you think all the cosmetics people have payed for over the past three or so years through crates and stuff transfer over to the new title to use?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Do you think all the cosmetics people have payed for over the past three or so years through crates and stuff transfer over to the new title to use?

Absolutely not. You will get a dumb skin showing you had the first game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think that one vanillaware game is supposed to be good, when you can see what's happening on the screen

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So like in the event Overwatch 2 is real and it's a totally separate game, like boxed product sequel and all...

lmao are you serious

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Has a game ever done that

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
You'd have to put in every character from the first game for that to work, and the rumours suggested a smaller roster

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm thinking they will keep it because the rumor is overwatch 2 is just a bolted on coop mode and not actually a "2". Which would also be a good reason to work on the switch version now, so it can all just be integrated at launch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm thinking they will keep it because the rumor is overwatch 2 is just a bolted on coop mode and not actually a "2". Which would also be a good reason to work on the switch version now, so it can all just be integrated at launch.

Horde mode where you have to take on endless waves of protesters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We are the Fallout 99%

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Horde mode where you have to take on endless waves of protesters.

“It’s Shanghai noon...”

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mr E posted:

Absolutely not. You will get a dumb skin showing you had the first game.

Hope it's a cool dumb skin at least.

Edit:

Help Im Alive posted:

Has a game ever done that

Off the top of my head I want to say the Little Big Planet sequels, but with a big asterisk because I remember reading that there was a bunch of stuff that wouldn't transfer over to at least like LBP3 at launch and I thiiink eventually they fixed that problem with the game at least. And this included paid DLC costume parts from the first two games.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 27, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

from a few pages back while everyone was getting their taint reaped but as much as all his criticisms of outer worlds seemed valid i dunno how much i trust the opinion of someone flogging call of duty as a good replacement

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Empty" is also a criticism I hear of literally every open world game so I just assume anybody who says that about the maps just doesn't like the genre. Maybe unfair in this case, idk

Hard to brush off the other complaints but I'm still enjoying it. We'll see if I bounce off later

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steve Yun posted:

Can someone fill me in on what old COD stories were like in comparison

COD 1-3: Literally Saving Private Ryan

COD 4 Modern Warfare: Now its Black Hawk Down, but at the very end a nuke goes off so its also The Sum of All Fears

MW2+: Multiple Nukes! Russian Invasion! Red Dawn!

Then some stuff with Jon Snow in Space

Its been a weird progression.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

cheetah7071 posted:

"Empty" is also a criticism I hear of literally every open world game so I just assume anybody who says that about the maps just doesn't like the genre.

Yeah this has become a big "What do you want?" point, yes, sometimes maps can be too big, but having a nice big map that's mostly populated, with some open areas and wilderness and all that is also nice, just traveling around and getting up places and all that is a fun part of a chunk of the games people gripe about it in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Steve Yun posted:

How were the early Modern Warfares? Were they ra-ra as well

COD1-3 were like "soldiers are heroes" but at least kinda seemed somewhat like they respected war

MW1 was all "HO RAH DANGER CLOSE LETS GO SHOOTEMUP"

Even in MW1 there was a part that made me super uncomfortable where you're manning a turret gun and as you kill people the pilot is like "Good kills! Good kills! Nice. Light em up" and its just super creepy when the whole thing is rendered in an extremely realistic black & white grainy camera view

Oh and don't forget the "controversial" episode where you play a spy and you witness (and participate in) gunning down a whole airport of unarmed civilians because RUSSIANS BAD, TERRORISTS EVIL, NEVER FERGET :911:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Call of Duty also contributed to the downfall of competitive multiplayer games. Especially in the first person shooter space.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Outer Worlds is definitely mediocre and I'm strongly considering dropping it. It's a really shallow game and it's way under par for Obsidian. Dialogue choices are almost Fallout 4 bad, party members barely have any character and the game chastises you for trying to destroying the horrific capitalist slave state in a really mealy mouthed centrist way. It's more Bioshock Infinite than New Vegas in all respects.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 27, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Call of Duty also contributed to the downfall of competitive multiplayer games. Especially in the first person shooter space.

Absolutely. COD multiplayer pushes the "everybody takes turns winning" approach, just spawning you in randomly 5 ft away from someone ready to shoot you, and giving people killstreaks to obsess over instead of just good shooting.

COD ruined Halo. Although that's really more 343's fault for being so stupid as to use the Halo IP to make COD games instead of making Halo games.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
New Call of Duty recreating the Highway of Death except the russians did it is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
"Infinite Warfare is good!" I shout from the void of space while my suit runs out of oxygen