Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Played a demo for awhile on an older hdd and I thought that was alot of fun. With only the base game, any other builds that are good for mass murder with aoe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Soldier/Shaman or Arcanist/Shaman using Primal Strike. Become the God of Lightning.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If you've got the expansions, a vire's might build can blow through the roguelikes very quickly (steps of torment in less than 10 minutes, even if you're not extremely strong). I know people don't recommend this for new players, but you can clear roguelikes on ultimate quickly even without the vanquisher set or a good off-hand just because you can dash past everything and get to the boss ASAP. Steps of torment should be doable quickly even without a well-optimized spec, and that's probably the best farming spot in the main campaign. You need at least 30% overcapped cold resistance to handle Alkamos unless you really know what you're doing, but you can easily get that with a potion before the fight. The other dungeons, especially ancient grove, require a more solid build. But, I was able to farm all the roguelikes pretty efficiently and get the full vanquisher set with faction and randomly found gear, then took that character up to 75/76 in the shattered realm (with some random trash offhand, too).

I have a decent collection of Vire's Might gear now, so not a bad suggestion for a future build. In any case, my conjurer can still roll through Steps without trouble, but resists won't save me if from human error (read: drinking one too many beers on a lazy sunday).

I did discover that griminternals has a pre-set teleport to the entrances of all the roguelike dungeons, which is a nice timesaver.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm drafting up a Pets Guy Shaman/Necromancer who's gonna use physical to vitality conversion on his pets and Devouring Swarm for big resistance reduction and go from there. But...if my Raise Skeletons summons mages and archers, won't they deal elemental and piercing, and thus not get converted to vitality, and thus randomness in summoned skeletons will be a huge thorn in my side?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Any of you who use Grim Internals know if disabling the day/night cycle breaks any monster spawns? Do some only spawn at night/day?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Oldstench posted:

Any of you who use Grim Internals know if disabling the day/night cycle breaks any monster spawns? Do some only spawn at night/day?

Nope. It's 100% just Easy to See/Hard to See

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Decided to roll a pet damage mono necromancer for shits and giggles. Turns out pets can do a LOT of damage if you invest in them. Skeletons and blight fiends rip through everything and I can summon them faster than they die. On the other hand, I have the survivability of a fly, with my only real tools for surviving bosses being mark of torment and turtle shell. I think soul siphon will be useful with some investment, but without some proper reductions in casting speed, it's more likely to get me killed than help.

All things considered, I think I can finish the main campaign, but a lot of the extra challenge content is probably going to be a no-go. Shaman might be a better choice for a gimmick pet build, since it has more robust CC and lifestealing.

I love that this game lets me try stupid poo poo like this.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 23, 2019

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

I love that this game lets me try stupid poo poo like this.

This is what keep me coming back to the game time and time again. It's very easy to just mess around with build concepts.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Yeah, the main issue of pet builds is survivability. Boss AoE will just erase your whole pack from existence, and pulling aggro will get you killed really quick. Enemies like to aggro you for casting debuffs as much as direct damage too.

Crate could stand to take some cues from Blizzard wrt Pet AoE resistance and threat generation vs. your AoE debuffs (which is how pet builds should work, right?). As it is, you wind up relying on junk like disposable summons and Revenant to get anywhere in endgame, and it's just not as fun to me as being good at steering and supporting your permanent pets.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When's this getting on the switch drat it?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I just can't beat the final boss of the Ancient Grove. First phase is fine; second phase he just one shots me every time. Any advice?
Here's my current build (Veteran difficulty): https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2E4Bw3N

Grim Tools is doing something slightly wonky with my values but it's within 1%-2% of accurate.

e: I'm following this build guide.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 23, 2019

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's pretty similiar to my build. Looking up the ancient grove boss, it does a lot of piercing and chaos damage, neither of which you have very much of. You're far over the cap on some of your other resistances, so it should be possible to fix that with some swapping of augments and components.

Also consider maxing aspect of the guardian sooner rather than later. It gives 100% poison resist, which simplifies resistance gearing a ton.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
ArgleBargle uses Zantai's favorite gently caress You attack: the shotgun volcano. You have to stay on the move, but yeah he's mostly a resistance check. Those flame jets hurt a lot too.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

That's pretty similiar to my build. Looking up the ancient grove boss, it does a lot of piercing and chaos damage, neither of which you have very much of.

Hmm, I'm 37% and 25% over max on pierce and chaos respectively. Is my link busted? Is that seriously too little over max?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Level 74 conjurer? I see 66% and 68%. 63% and 23% with buffs turned off. Either we are looking at two different things or grimtools has issues :v:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Level 74 conjurer? I see 66% and 68%. 63% and 23% with buffs turned off. Either we are looking at two different things or grimtools has issues :v:

You on ultimate? I'm playing veteran.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oldstench posted:

You on ultimate? I'm playing veteran.

Ohh, yeah it's me looking on ultimate. :downs:

A little late now, but the only other suggestion I can give is that your build doesn't have a defensive devotion yet apart from wendigo and not a lot of sustain. I managed to take the boss around lvl 63 and there were some nasty damage spikes, but Giant's Blood, Wendigo Mark, plus a few points in wendigo totem and maxed sigil of consumption kept me upright long enough to pop health potions when needed.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
I'm trying a DPS Oathkeeper but I'm kind of lost. I know there's other sets that probably are better suited but I was mostly curious and my SO rolled a tank Oathkeeper so I figured, why not. I haven't played in a while and I'd forgotten how many stats and skills are all over the freaken place. I'm currently trying to do an Oathkeeper/Night Blade combo but the only build guide has like all points in Oathkeeper until level 30+. Granted my guy is rocking right now at level 30 with all points in Oathkeeper but I feel like I'm missing something. I even picked up some lower level gear for Night Blade and had to skip it for now since the bonus skills were useless.

I've invested some points in cunning and spirit (running out of mana and such) but most points are piled in physical. Most of my armor is high armor rating and physical. I have a blue hammer and chest from a Blood set. My current rings and neck are from level 10 since they also have physical and other simple stats like offensive and defensive which seem to mess well with oathkeeper. I haven't found a good replacement for those. Still I wish I had a better grasp on what the hell I'm doing. It's like I'm succeeding despite myself.

TL:DR If you were to try going Oathkeeper DPS, how would you roll and which stats would be important to look for in loot?

FYI: I'm one of those people who as a kid would refuse to color in a coloring book if I didn't know which crayon to use based on a reference picture. So yeah, I have a hard time improvising.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 2, 2019

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Off the top of my head — fire eye of reckoning shield breaker or paladin, physical eye of reckoning warlord or acid righteous fervor dervish. For the physical eye of reckoning build you need deep investment in cunning and to build hard into physical damage or you’ll just tickle enemies, because EoR is tons of multiple fast hits that all check against armor. Fire and acid damage don’t have that problem. But if you do it right, it’s supposed to be a strong beginner build. You can check on the official forum for guides for beginner guides.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

I'll check those out. Thank you! Acid Righteous Fervor Dervish sounds amazing just from the name.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

inkblottime posted:

I'm trying a DPS Oathkeeper

I'm running this build next. It looks like what you want: https://www.requnix.com/gaming/grim-dawn-builds/miss-meltycakes-dual-wield-melee-acid-poison-dervish

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, Diablo 4 looks to be using 3's skill system, back to Grim Dawn/waiting for Grim Dawn 2.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Mordja posted:

Welp, Diablo 4 looks to be using 3's skill system, back to Grim Dawn/waiting for Grim Dawn 2.

They've said there's skill trees in D4 so hopefully they've learned

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mordja posted:

There are "+1 to all skills" items, so at least at this stage in development, skills work rather differently than in D3. But I’d rather not give Blizzard money after they punished a Hong Konger for speaking out against the CCP.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
diablo 4 is just diablo but diablo was the good guy all along

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Oh my god yes. I am reading the gently caress out of this. Thank you kind sir!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Mash posted:

They've said there's skill trees in D4 so hopefully they've learned

The game's still a ways out but it currently looks like the same limited slot system as D3.

Rinkles posted:

But I’d rather not give Blizzard money after they punished a Hong Konger for speaking out against the CCP.
Surprised they didn't add Xi Jinping to Overwatch 2 tbh.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This looks super fun and I haven't made a DW character yet soooooooooooooo guess I'm crafting a bunch of hats to get the set

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Mordja posted:

The game's still a ways out but it currently looks like the same limited slot system as D3.

Surprised they didn't add Xi Jinping to Overwatch 2 tbh.

Apparently you level up skills as you play by finding skill books, and gear can also have +skills. The 'Talents' pane looks a lot more like the Diablo 2 skill trees, though it contains passive bonuses rather than actual skills.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

This looks super fun and I haven't made a DW character yet soooooooooooooo guess I'm crafting a bunch of hats to get the set

Granted, I have like 3-4 characters in the 20-30 range who managed to get a lot of loot and I play two player, but at level 30, one point in phase 1 of build guide Nightblade, and almost 1 point in all phase 2 Oathkeeper and two Omans, my acid dervish is melting things my straight Oathkeeper was having a hard time with. Awesome build.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 2, 2019

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-misadventure-165-bring-them-to-darkness/91528

So I guess we're fighting Sauron and looting the Nazgûl in the next roguelike dungeon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Any word on a possible 3rd expansion?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

chaosapiant posted:

Any word on a possible 3rd expansion?

Nothing that I know of since Forgotten Gods came out. Crate has said since Forgotten Gods was announced, though, that they probably won’t do another expansion. My understanding is that they’ve mostly shifted work over to the city builder game they’re releasing next, and continued support for Grim Dawn is more because they enjoy working on that game than because they think they can keep making money off it. This coming update is supposed to be really big, though, with 4 new normal dungeons and a new roguelike dungeon as well, then there will be several more updates after that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think there's also just too much tech debt with the GD engine so they're reaching the limits of what they can do with it. A potential (probable) sequel would be on some new/updated engine.

Didn't know they were making a city builder tho.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If they go back to ARPG's after their next game I really hope Crate can get the rights back for Titan's Quest 2 in a brand new engine. Grim Dawn was fun but it would be nice to go back to ancient Greece/Egypt/China again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
More likely is THQ Nordic funding its own TQ sequel, imo.

That said, I'd 100% prefer if Crate went back to the ancient mythological setting over more GD.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Agreed, I'm loving GD in spite of its setting but my dream is porting all its gameplay improvements back into Titan Quest's theme.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grim Dawn is kind of... full. Tons of stuff to do in a playthrough, although some new dungeons for the last act is a good touch. Expanding end game stuff like Shattered realms could be neat, but it will get stale eventually unless they keep remixing it like POE has.

Of course I thought Titan Quest had reached its zenith with ragnarok and go figure, there was space for another expansion.

Anyways, I've been following the conjurer build at the top of the OP and things have been going swimmingly, but a wildblood crusher just dropped early in Elite and I'm wondering if I should put some points into savagery and go melee. Only it's going to require a lot of re-gearing, as I've been neglecting OA, DA and Stun for a bit. Any suggestions on kit or other stats I should focus on for a savagery build? https://www.grimtools.com/calc/JVl67QxN

Do note that my talents are a bit funky since I was about to drop the pets and go all in on corrupted storm totem. Which means I have 16 spare points I can respec relatively painlessly.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 5, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If I pick up the latest expansion at the next sale do I have to go through the whole story again to get to the new areas like the first expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
You can get to the new expansion after beating the Warden.