Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/GrahamHall_/status/1200996774795730944?s=20

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Good morning from America where Alabama is a worse football team than Bo Nix / Gus Malzahn led Auburn.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I genuinely think the South Carolina los is bad, but how many top 25 teams did Clemson play? Top 15? Top 10?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

Are they really going to keep Golding as their DC???

Wasn’t the entire front seven injured for the back half of the year?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I genuinely think the South Carolina los is bad, but how many top 25 teams did Clemson play? Top 15? Top 10?

Clemson's best win is Georgia's fourth best.

(Also Clemson would kill UGA hth, but Clemson's schedule, through little fault of their own, is bad.)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KKKLIP ART posted:

Best win is probably A&M. To their credit they've blown everyone out aside from the UNC game which is what a great team should do with an iffy schedule. But also they've been ranked in the top 4 for basically the entire season so Dabo should really take a binkie and shut the gently caress up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tatsuta Age posted:

Good morning from America where Alabama is a worse football team than Bo Nix / Gus Malzahn led Auburn.

People give Bo Nix a ton of poo poo but the entire offence rested squarely on his shoulders most of the season with very little help, he set the freshman passing record for both the season and for an individual game.

He just needs to learn to activate ultra instinct at will, currently it only kicks in at times of extreme duress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Best win is probably A&M. To their credit they've blown everyone out aside from the UNC game which is what a great team should do with an iffy schedule. But also they've been ranked in the top 4 for basically the entire season so Dabo should really take a binkie and shut the gently caress up.

He should, but coaches feel obligated to come up with motivation and fake doubters when they’re too good to have real ones. Remember when Alabama used a Seattle Times article about how Washington could theoretically beat them as proof that the national media didn’t believe in Bama?

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

The Rose Bowl doesn't have to select the 2nd best Big Ten team by playoff rankings. They can use it, but they can really do anything they want. Wisconsin is going to the Rose Bowl.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

He should, but coaches feel obligated to come up with motivation and fake doubters when they’re too good to have real ones. Remember when Alabama used a Seattle Times article about how Washington could theoretically beat them as proof that the national media didn’t believe in Bama?

Say whatever you want to the team, just don't yell at a bunch of folks trying to do their jobs because of some poo poo you made up in your broken baby brain.

Yates posted:

The Rose Bowl doesn't have to select the 2nd best Big Ten team by playoff rankings. They can use it, but they can really do anything they want. Wisconsin is going to the Rose Bowl.

They can only deviate if the teams are really close in the rankinga which is probably not going to happen after Wisconsin gets smoked by 40 points again. And if they are clustered close I would imagine they'd probably want Minnesota for the sake of novelty

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 1, 2019

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Last night we all got to watch Nick Saban get hit with the realisation that the SEC wasn't going to rig that game for him because LSU and Georgia are the new hotness this season. You'd think he would have seen it coming, but no, instead we all get to witness the public meltdown as Bama got left out on their own without the benefit of every call ever.

I can't wait to see what sort of gong show is put on in the championship game to boost Georgia to winning and thus putting two SEC teams in the playoff.

Also Shaun Shivers trucking that Bama defender is already one of my favourite plays ever.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView posted:

I mean that’s my point. They are passing the eye test for whatever that’s worth and due to poll inertia they haven’t really budged so unless they get 75 hung on them they are in and the rest of it is just good ole boy fake juice. UGA absolutely didn’t do themselves any favors but we have better wins. And yes they would 100% blow us out so it’s more just feeling curious why Dabo wants to be a big baby about this when he has his golden ticket.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Shappa posted:

Last night we all got to watch Nick Saban get hit with the realisation that the SEC wasn't going to rig that game for him because LSU and Georgia are the new hotness this season. You'd think he would have seen it coming, but no, instead we all get to witness the public meltdown as Bama got left out on their own without the benefit of every call ever.

I can't wait to see what sort of gong show is put on in the championship game to boost Georgia to winning and thus putting two SEC teams in the playoff.

Also Shaun Shivers trucking that Bama defender is already one of my favourite plays ever.

same but the butt interception https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1200915154788962304

edit: and let's all watch the kick six again together because why not

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1200782669220646916

edit:

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 1, 2019

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Randaconda posted:

fire the entire athletic department at FSU

we've been terrible for going on 20 years, with one anomaly

or stop pretending we give a poo poo about football and lean into baseball, jesus

They did let Mike Martin retire gracefully and not fire him ten years ago.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Basking in the afterglow

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1201169298561077250?s=19

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Clemson really is a man among boys at the moment. Miami and Florida State are in disarray, and the likes of Virginia Tech and Louisville are never going to match what they're doing at Clemson.

At least in the 90s FSU had to play Florida.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Holy poo poo I’m dying.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I had a wedding to attend yesterday so I’m catching up on the Iron Bowl and you can’t tell me that Jordan Hare wasn’t built on an Indian burial ground.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I finally laughed at one of these.

I might be more giddy over Alabama losing than Wisconsin winning.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jonathan Martin is a terrible reporter but drat that's good

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Coco13 posted:

Since the 2000 season:

Michigan is 3-17 against Ohio State.
Penn State is 5-15 against Ohio State.
Purdue is 4-8 against Ohio State.

Purdue is Ohio State's true rival thank you for listening.

Wisconsin is 4-12*
Michigan State is 3-13
Iowa is 2-9

The Big Ten sucks

*13 soon enough

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
One of our two should count for at least like five

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Clemson really is a man among boys at the moment. Miami and Florida State are in disarray, and the likes of Virginia Tech and Louisville are never going to match what they're doing at Clemson.

At least in the 90s FSU had to play Florida.

I had to look up who Clemson was playing in the ACC Championship game.

If we imagine the ultimate Clemsoning that would be Virginia's biggest win since...1995 over #2 FSU?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

MourningView posted:

One of our two should count for at least like five

Same. OSU was #1 for one of our wins. We even rushed the drat field afterward!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I had to look up who Clemson was playing in the ACC Championship game.

If we imagine the ultimate Clemsoning that would be Virginia's biggest win since...1995 over #2 FSU?

UVA ranked wins since '95 FSU:

1996: #13 Texas, #6 North Carolina
1998: #25 Auburn, #20 Virginia Tech
1999: #17 BYU, #7 Georgia Tech
2001: #19 Clemson, #20 Georgia Tech
2002: #22 South Carolina, #22 NC State, #18 Maryland, #15 West Virginia
2005: #5 Florida State, #24 Georgia Tech
2007: #21 Wake Forest
2008: #18 North Carolina, #18 Georgia Tech
2010: #22 Miami
2011: #12 Georgia Tech, #23 Florida State
2014: #21 Louisville
2018: #16 Miami
2019: #24 Virginia Tech

So....yeah, easily. Best wins since that FSU upset are keeping Prime Mack Brown UNC out of a big bowl and beating Joe Hamilton, and both of those were a long long time ago.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

gently caress LSU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

The weekend of whiny assholes
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864893-dabo-swinney-says-cfp-committee-doesnt-want-clemson-in-2019-playoff

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1200810783237713927

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
following teams that win more than five games a year is actually an indicator of a lack of character

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dabo sucks so very very much

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Adun posted:

Wisconsin is 4-12*
Michigan State is 3-13
Iowa is 2-9

The Big Ten sucks

*13 soon enough

I'll have you know that in all the games you've referenced the Big 10 is .500 and no other conference has even a single win so there.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How far in advance are team's schedules set? If Clemson doesn't win the championship this year they won't have the same carryover good will next year if their schedule and conference are as weak as this year. Do they feel the need to schedule any stronger non conference opponents?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

following teams that win more than five games a year is actually an indicator of a lack of character

Can't grow if you don't face adversity!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zwabu posted:

How far in advance are team's schedules set? If Clemson doesn't win the championship this year they won't have the same carryover good will next year if their schedule and conference are as weak as this year. Do they feel the need to schedule any stronger non conference opponents?

non conference schedules are set up years in advance.

next year clemson has a blistering out of conference schedule consisting of akron, notre dame, south carolina, and the citadel.

and of course an early season notre dame game is just the team you schedule to get a quick win against a "top ten opponent"

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Zwabu posted:

How far in advance are team's schedules set?

For top end teams like Clemson, 15 to 20 years in advance.

But then, strength of schedule is irrelevant if you go undefeated.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Zwabu posted:

Pretty smooth sailing for Clemson OOC until 2024.

2013: Georgia
2014: @ Georgia
2015: nobody (* Notre Dame ACC game)
2016: @ Auburn
2017: Auburn
2018: @ Texas A&M
2019: Texas A&M

2020: nobody (* Notre Dame ACC game)
2021: nobody (* Notre Dame ACC game)
2022: nobody (* Notre Dame ACC game)
2023: nobody (* Notre Dame ACC game)
2024: Georgia
2025: LSU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

non conference schedules are set up years in advance.

next year clemson has a blistering out of conference schedule consisting of akron, notre dame, south carolina, and the citadel.

They can probably buy their way out of the Citadel if they wanted to badly enough, but they'd need a partner willing to do the same with their own cupcake.

Well maybe not for next year since it's probably too late, but schools do wiggle out of scheduled non-con games now and then.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

tactlessbastard posted:

Dabo sucks so very very much

True, but at the same time I get that politicking the committee is part of the job description at this point. Everybody wants that #1 slot, because they’re likely going to get a much easier draw than number 2 (this year more than most).

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

dirty shrimp money posted:

For top end teams like Clemson, 15 to 20 years in advance.

But then, strength of schedule is irrelevant if you go undefeated.

Interesting thought exercise though if there were 5 P5 undefeated conference champions this year who would get left out?

Undefeated LSU
Undefeated Ohio State
Undefeated Clemson
Undefeated Oklahoma
Undefeated Utah

Out of those Clemson would have by far the weakest schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Adun posted:

Interesting thought exercise though if there were 5 P5 undefeated conference champions this year who would get left out?

Undefeated LSU
Undefeated Ohio State
Undefeated Clemson
Undefeated Oklahoma
Undefeated Utah

Out of those Clemson would have by far the weakest schedule?

It would absolutely be Utah.