Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RIP Youtube Annotations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Airspace posted:

Nah, they did that before they added the Clans.

Five factions full of rich inbreds.

It took until Dark Age before anyone was inbred. You know, when they decided the franchise needed rape and incest to really break into a new level.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

PoptartsNinja posted:

RIP Youtube Annotations

some of us still remember....

I got some minis on ebay that were painted in Word of Lowtax colours and they are kicking rad

Horsebanger fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 13, 2019

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Defiance Industries posted:

It took until Dark Age before anyone was inbred. You know, when they decided the franchise needed rape and incest to really break into a new level.

Gotta get that game of thrones money.

edit: up to, like now that I think of it, ending a bunch of the book plotlines (and factions) with a "ha ha suckers real life doesn't work out like that"

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 13, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's how you know the times were dark.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clans are moron turds and it's a great theoretical society that started as somewhat well-meaning veterans and turned into hosed up weirdos

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The wrong brother lived.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Too bad the Clans were not ready for total unrestricted war against their civilians.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mulva posted:

The wrong brother lived.

And even before that, Aleksandr Kerensky inexplicably favored his idiot son who had a pathological hatred for all civilians rather than his thoughtful son who was a good listener.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
stupid babies need the most attention

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Hustlin Floh posted:

Clans are moron turds

It's true. They rolled up with way better tech and just get dunked on repeatedly by the rich failsons of the Inner Sphere.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh jesus christ.
Who greenlit that?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Interested in trying out BattleTech after playing a ton of the HBS strategy game and some MechWarrior 5. Is Alpha Strike the way to go? Should I try both of the freely-available quick-start rules? In case I go with Alpha Strike, by my reading of it it's mostly played as a minis game - how viable is it to convert to hexes? No minis at hand so I'd be using the cutouts provided in the pdf. Any easy-to-miss stuff to keep in mind?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Most of my ‘mechs have ended up with color schemes inspired by Mega Man X and I’m not even sorry about it.

I will say though that there’s a brief moment between basecoating and shading/highlighting where everything looks like lovely big blobs of day-glo colors where I think it looks super awful and I’m going to have to strip it and try again, but so far I’ve been happy with the results when I pushed through anyway.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Azran posted:

Interested in trying out BattleTech after playing a ton of the HBS strategy game and some MechWarrior 5. Is Alpha Strike the way to go? Should I try both of the freely-available quick-start rules? In case I go with Alpha Strike, by my reading of it it's mostly played as a minis game - how viable is it to convert to hexes? No minis at hand so I'd be using the cutouts provided in the pdf. Any easy-to-miss stuff to keep in mind?

Alpha Strike works fine on hexes, just cut every distance on the unit cards and rules by half. A mech that moves 8"j on terrain moves 4j on hexes. Ranges are 6"/24"/42" on terrain and 3/12/21 on hexes. That by itself is probably most of the conversion you'll need to do.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Diana Pryde :colbert:

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh jesus christ.
Who greenlit that?
WizKids, mostly. Danai Liao-Centrella and Alric Wolf are the big offenders DI is referencing, and even Alaric's questionable since Clan genetic manipulation is involved. Alaric should've just been a straight-up clone of Kathy Steiner the way Maeve Wolf was a clone of Jaime Wolf.

Danai is a Liao so I'm sure Loren Coleman was involved in that one.

Edit: Alaric was also the only Clanner ever to be held back in a Sibko (he graduated at 24 when Clanners test into the Warrior Caste at 20) and my favorite quote about him is:

quote:

Alaric was somewhat tormented by [Katherine Steiner's] constant meddling with his life
Even in the 31st century, helicopter DropShip parents are the worst.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 15, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alright, where's a big nasty lore wiki that I can read instead of working over the holidays? Clearly there's a lot of stupid crap in there but I've killed time in 40K lore wikis, I'm pretty inured.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sarna.net is the BT wiki, though some of the articles are very poorly written.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Far_Country

Start here.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Sarna.net is definitely the wiki to use. It's not quite as... overwrought as some of the 40K wikis, but it usually has most of what you could want.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think the Jihad and Dark Age lore as written by Catalyst is probably the best part of the setting :shobon:

I wish we’d get a Jihad game.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Mechassault :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I did a game yesterday where I fielded one company along with a friend who also fielded one, vs a third player who fielded two. We slapped three hex maps side by side and played a ridiculously big Alpha strike game in about four hours all told.

The hex conversion is super straight forward: 1 hex is two inches. Given that we could not only field lances, but whole companies, I’m wondering if I’ll ever go back to classic Battletech again.

e: a Centurion headshot my Awesome and dropped it straight off. My Flea continually harassed the back side of a Cyclops until it finally killed the drat thing (meaning my Flea killed an assault), effectively taking the cyclops out of the fight entirely. The cyclops never did decent damage because it was constantly turning backwards to try to get at my Flea. Alpha Strike is amazing.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 16, 2019

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That sounds really fun! I didn't know Alpha Strike had any kind of hit locations, or even any modeling of front/rear.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It doesn't have hit locations, but to-hit rolls of 12 do a through armor crit. A crit result of 12 is a dead mech, the narrative justification is really easy after that.

There is definitely a difference between front and rear though, both in terms of firing arcs and also in terms of taking damage.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

WizKids, mostly. Danai Liao-Centrella and Alric Wolf are the big offenders DI is referencing, and even Alaric's questionable since Clan genetic manipulation is involved.

Caleb Davion is the rapist in question. Between that and finding out her uncle was her dad. Danai was treated real badly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Right, I forgot about him. There's so much to keep track of with Caleb since he was designed to stop people whining about the Davions always being the good guys by personally checking off every possible villainous trope he could.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 16, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You're starting to sound like the folks on the official forums who said that Davions not having the most machines in... TRO: 3075, I think? was part of a conspiracy to get people to stop liking House Davion. Caleb was bad because they wanted Julian to be even more clean and pure and heroic by the comparison.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Nah, I think Caleb's fine. He's a paranoid schizophrenic sociopath, I just have difficulty remembering all of his crimes when Yori Kurita is so much more entertaining.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
gently caress yeah she is

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yori Kurita is a character they actively want to build around and so give direction to. Caleb is Rabban to Julian's Feyd, he exists just to make someone else look good by comparison and so never had any long-term plans made for him. That's the difference.

e: Yori being the "only" Kurita left definitely had me scratching my head, though. It's weird that there apparently aren't whole other branches of the Kurita family like there are Gallery Steiners and Furillo Steiners, Victoria Davions or Stewart Mariks and Tamarind Mariks.

e2: Whatever happened to the Rasalhague Kuritas? Did they all get torn apart by hordes of identical 6'3" blondes?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 16, 2019

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It really does feel like they took a chainsaw to most everything out of the 3050 era that was left after the Jihad.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
By the way, what is the most recent iteration of Battleforce? Or is it now called something else with Catalyst?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The most recent version is just called Battleforce. It's in Strategic Operations, although the errata for it is pretty significant. It's always been the red-headed stepchild to Alpha Strike, built off the same engine mostly but receiving updates at a far slower rate. SO is out of print though (except for PDF); the next printing of SO will have that pile of errata integrated, but I have no idea when that will be.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Xotl posted:

The most recent version is just called Battleforce. It's in Strategic Operations, although the errata for it is pretty significant. It's always been the red-headed stepchild to Alpha Strike, built off the same engine mostly but receiving updates at a far slower rate. SO is out of print though (except for PDF); the next printing of SO will have that pile of errata integrated, but I have no idea when that will be.

Thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Does MegaMek have any Battleforce mode, or is it pretty much just for that normal Classic Battletech experience?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mostly regular TT, but you can play space battles on it too

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Xotl posted:

Battleforce is more like the father of Alpha Strike that's been forgotten about in a retirement home,

SO even contains the rules for the prototype of Alpha Strike that was built off of Battleforce. I wonder if those rules will be cut from the reprint since they're now obsolete?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

BattleMaster posted:

SO even contains the rules for the prototype of Alpha Strike that was built off of Battleforce. I wonder if those rules will be cut from the reprint since they're now obsolete?

Yes, I requested that Quick-Strike be axed for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Minneapolis Battletech chat: Source Comics and Games does a Battletech night every second Thursday. So next one will be early January.