Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Nevsky good? Operational medieval sounds cool, flipping through the rulebook seems ok except for the dice combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StashAugustine posted:

Is Nevsky good? Operational medieval sounds cool, flipping through the rulebook seems ok except for the dice combat

I like it a lot, but i'm not sure how good it is- you probably gotta give people some time to actually play it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I've read through the rules and I'm anxious to play it. Dice combat will be fine for wargamers, but maybe turn off people coming from COIN. The CDG aspect is less random than I feared since (for the most part) it looks like you get to choose which cards you use from your entire deck.

There really is far less info about it online than I'd expect for a Volko game introducing a whole new system. I guess counterinsurgency is more exciting than logistics?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
hey all you ASL wanna-groggers, guess what just came in? get on my loving level cuz you just failed your morale checks

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*cackles wildly as his face slowly turns into the IIFT table*

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

AARP LARPer posted:

hey all you ASL wanna-groggers, guess what just came in? get on my loving level cuz you just failed your morale checks

Sorry I don't play children's games

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
That was rude of me--I guess I'm just jealous. I'm super excited about this game because it's part of my long-range strategy to grasp ASL by slowly ramping up the difficulty of the games I play.

My Plan:

D-Day Dice --> ASL

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just ask me to play against you at ASL (Don't ask COOL CORN he's bad)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Just ask me to play against you at ASL (Don't ask COOL CORN he's bad)

:(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

(I love you but I need more gaming partners)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

(I love you but I need more gaming partners)

REMATCH ME YOU COWARD

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

REMATCH ME YOU COWARD

We never even finished our first match! I still remember panzerfausting your M4 in the grain field!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

AARP LARPer posted:

That was rude of me--I guess I'm just jealous. I'm super excited about this game because it's part of my long-range strategy to grasp ASL by slowly ramping up the difficulty of the games I play.

My Plan:

D-Day Dice --> ASL

Amateurs play at tactics. Professionals do strategy. :smug:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DJ Dizzy posted:

Amateurs play at tactics. Professionals do strategy. :smug:

Logistics. Professionals do logistics.

https://www.planomolding.com/shop/storage/view-all-storage/medium-rack-organizer

:agesilaus:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Logistics are for scrubs who plan campaigns that take too long. :smug:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Logistics are for scrubs who plan campaigns that take too long. :smug:

- Adolf Hitler, June 1941

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gentlemen, there’s no fighting in the war games thread!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
If you have enough "logistics" then tactics and strategy don't matter - :ussr:

f/e:

blackmongoose posted:

- Adolf Hitler, June 1941

bravo

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Erghh posted:

If you have enough "logistics" then tactics and strategy don't matter - :ussr:

I've seen Enemy at the Gates, so im pretty much an expert on soviet "logistics"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
gently caress you guys, I just got into scale modeling for stupid reasons and now you're making ASL sound really attractive. Next thing I know I'll be researching some obscure historical detail that those morons behind game XYZ can't do right :rant:

Terminally Bored posted:

The last panel to the My Desires Are Unconventional meme
50 Shades of German Grey

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

DJ Dizzy posted:

I've seen Enemy at the Gates, so im pretty much an expert on soviet "logistics"

Cursed post

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Are there any accessible yet reasonably complex games centered on logistics and supply?

Like that part is more a part of gameplay than moving troops and shooting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Race to the Rhine? Although it’s almost a Euro. Otherwise Nevsky but I haven’t played it yet. Or just get Reluctant Enemies :v:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Smolensk and beyond the rhine are good. The rulebook is thick, but most of it is filled with examples and clearly explaining the rules. Best rulebooks I've read in years.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Isn't that OCS kinda inna nice convenient nutshell?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Race to the Rhine? Although it’s almost a Euro.

just traded this one away and KSed the new one, but I haven't heard of the others. thanks, both of you!

Chill la Chill posted:

Smolensk and beyond the rhine are good. The rulebook is thick, but most of it is filled with examples and clearly explaining the rules. Best rulebooks I've read in years.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol so apparently I'm drunk enough to not connect the names with the systems lol

merry xmas my fellow modifier counters!
may your hexes be pleasant and your victories epic one and all 😋

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Next War Supplement #2 from GMT showed up with all the new COIN stuff. Intial pass through it is that it seems reasonable for the system but a little on the thin side gameplay wise, maybe? Only one way to tell though.

Also Wings of the Motherland is apparently shipping today, like right now, so yay seasonal miracles.

We really need a :grognard: smilie around here.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish there was an upgrade kit for next war, because the changes seem significant enough to actually need an upgrade and its gonna be a pain in the rear end to get a 2e copy

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Phi230 posted:

I really wish there was an upgrade kit for next war, because the changes seem significant enough to actually need an upgrade and its gonna be a pain in the rear end to get a 2e copy

Huh, you're right there isn't an upgrade available. Kinda out of character for them since they offer it for everything else. Maybe it's niche enough that they're not bothering? System seems pretty popular though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GMT has a couple upcoming quasi-wargames about the interwar era, Versailles 1919 and The Weimar Republic. Anyone getting interested in these? Both have solo modes but I think I would only get one of them. I mean I shouldn't get either of them given my overloaded collection, but that's my cross to bear I guess.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 27, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I p500’d Versailles a long time ago. Which means it will never come out (looking at you, Mr President and The Russian Campaign). Sorry about that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm selling Next War Korea. $60 shipped, flexible on the price for that though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Next War Supplement 2 came in the mail and there's a Beluga Whale counter for Russia lmao

Also does anyone who follows MMP stuff know about their supposed release of A Magnificent Disaster? I wanted to get into that game series and it seemed perfect to wait for the AMD bundle but they announced it and there's been like no news since.

I also reserved a copy of 1985: Deadly Northern Lights. 1985 is probably one of my favorite wargames besides the Next War series and I'm super stoked its getting an expansion.

Also anybody have any news regarding Streets of Stalingrad 4? Last I heard it was cancelled, but revived as "War of The Rats"

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2019

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

AARP LARPer posted:

Mr President

Oh right, the game about normal politics in a normal country. In the design I saw, you don't even have a particular political affiliation, just generic congressional allies and adversaries. Looks dumb as hell, even if America wasn't broken.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Though on the other hand, it does share a name with this extremely good Steam game:

quote:

Mr.President! Can you take a bullet for the soon to be President of the United States of America?! You play as Dick “Rock-Hard” Johnson a bulletproof man, the best bodyguard money can buy. He is sworn to protect the most hated presidential candidate of all time Ronald Rump.

Liberal media has rigged the election and tarnished his glowing public image, now they are trying to end his life. You need to leap, flip, fling, roll, and many other verbs to get in between Rump and certain death. If Rump dies, Who is going to pay for your Netflix sub? How are you going to pay for your lifetime of student loans or over inflated medical bills? Where will you get the money for another dumb physics game? YOU BETTER SAVE THE MAN OR YOU DON'T GET THE MONEY! It is your American duty to protect, serve, and live by the mighty dollar, because money is the only true sign of someone’s worth.

Rock hard body destruction - Not only can you bounce bullets off of your body but you can destroy structures with just flinging yourself into them!

Over 50 Assassination Attempts! - You need to overcome 50 challenging assassination attempts from a unworldly threat.

Globe Trotting Adventure - Follow Rump during his presidential campaign and visit many different locations around the world.

Pro Rasslin Challenges - Can you drop an elbow or headbutt on the presidential candidate?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can’t wait for Mr President to be released, ie the first sign of the end times

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Just picked up Ketchup Mechanism from CSI and wanted dat free shipping (+10% off sale), so I now have my first Simonitch WW2 game on the way: Holland '44.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Reports coming in that both Deluxe ASL and Croix de Guerre are going to be available for Winter Offensive.

Get your preorders in before they go up in price if youre interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

I can’t wait for Mr President to be released, ie the first sign of the end times

Pretty sure the first two were the Cubs and Leicester winning championships. Mr President getting released is full on "sounding of Gjallarhorn" stuff.