Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

skate barefoot you coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

TheJetCityFix posted:

About wearing layers, I have a question for those that have played at the outdoor rink in Winthrop, WA......how cold is it? I usually wear base layer compression hockey stuff, so will that do? More? I don't really wanna wear thicker socks because it will really gently caress with my skating just like when I tried to wear thinner socks...

I just wear a long sleeve drifit shirt instead of short sleeve one. We play in the winthrop tourney the last weekend of January for the past few years.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Tank44 posted:

I just wear a long sleeve drifit shirt instead of short sleeve one. We play in the winthrop tourney the last weekend of January for the past few years.

Thats the one I'm playing in. I'm pretty stoked, I've always wanted to play outdoors.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It depends on the weather. I usually wear nothing beneath my gear for indoor and outdoor games. If it gets into the teens and twenties, I might throw in a long sleeve layer under my gear. Feet and ears get cold.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
After both being asked to sub in net then getting wrecked by xzzy’s team last night, I got asked by my opposing team tonight to sub for them.

At least tonight we won’t have our two worst skaters. The worst one was pretty mad when I healthy scratched him. But between capping the team at 13 skaters and him constantly abandoning post and never keeping his stick on the ice, I’m not concerned about it and he can be mad.

This isn’t one of those things where we’re not trying to help the guy. We tell him exactly where he needs to be positioned for things like breakouts and every time we say something he gets worse.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

YeehawMcKickass posted:

After both being asked to sub in net then getting wrecked by xzzy’s team last night, I got asked by my opposing team tonight to sub for them.

At least tonight we won’t have our two worst skaters. The worst one was pretty mad when I healthy scratched him. But between capping the team at 13 skaters and him constantly abandoning post and never keeping his stick on the ice, I’m not concerned about it and he can be mad.

This isn’t one of those things where we’re not trying to help the guy. We tell him exactly where he needs to be positioned for things like breakouts and every time we say something he gets worse.

Haha this is a thing?

Had our team's first playoff game last night and won 8-1 against a team we've generally had tight games with. Two of our players are way too good for this division but eh. I technically got the game winner by just throwing it at the net and having it bounce off a couple of their guys and in. :toot:

Championship game is tonight at 10pm. :negative:

Also one of our guys fell into the boards by himself and pretty clearly got concussed with a minute left in the game. A fight nearly broke out because as he was lying on the ice after a few seconds the other team's captain went over and started poking around with his stick for the puck. Even the ref was screaming at him for that.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 23, 2019

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I healthy scratched him.

z0331 posted:

Haha this is a thing?
Yeah, what? I've seen guys who are basically regular players, but only committed as a sub for a season, get told they're sitting because too many full roster players showed up but not because of poor play. I have to say if I were a full paying member for a full season I don't think I'd be going for the "healthy scratch" and just showing up anyway.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Yea do you refund him or what

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
We've got 15 skaters and a goalie, and in 3 seasons of playing, there's been exactly one game where everyone has shown up, so I just ran 6 D. I would never consider healthy scratching someone.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a healthy scratch, that owns. i can’t fathom that being a thing or a person who would entertain it for a quarter of a second either as the scratcher or the scratchee

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am literally relieved when we have a sufficient number of guys on the bench that I don't have to skate over half the game

like we are usually rummaging around the lobby to see if there's anyone who wants to skate with us

PS we won the championship last year

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Our team has 15 full time players for 9 forwards and 6 defense.

That said everybody's always missing games so we actually also have like 7 or 8 subs.

The full time guys pay for a full season, the subs pay for 1/2 a season. This brings down the cost for everyone. If a full time guy can't make it, a sub is asked to play. The general goal is to field 3 lines of forwards and 2 lines of D and usually it happens. Sometimes we got a full 9 and a full 6.

So that's our "healthy scratch" of people that paid to play (a half season), but if you paid for a full season boy howdy you're playing every game you want to/can make.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Won our championship 8-2 and got a hat, gently caress yeah.

The other team had like 8-10 "fans" show up with team jerseys, drinks, a couple vuvuzelas, and a woman literally playing bagpipes between periods. It was incredibly weird but then a guy on the team said that they actually didn't even know who they were, and that apparently they had just decided to pick a beer league team to follow and started showing up to games. Maybe nobody wanted to fess up to knowing them but :psyduck:.

z0331 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 24, 2019

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bagpipes between periods would rule

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

z0331 posted:

Won our championship 8-2 and got a hat, gently caress yeah.

The other team had like 8-10 "fans" show up with team jerseys, drinks, a couple vuvuzelas, and a woman literally playing bagpipes between periods. It was incredibly weird but then a guy on the team said that they actually didn't even know who they were, and that apparently they had just decided to pick a beer league team to follow and started showing up to games. Maybe nobody wanted to fess up to knowing them but :psyduck:.

Congrats on the championship :toot:

Once a season, our team will throw a "fan appreciation night" where everyone invites as many friends and family to attend the game, then we all go out for drinks afterwards. It's a lot of fun having a crowd at your side as long as they're not being obnoxious. Unfortunately, I had my worst game of the season this most recent fan appreciation night, so everyone got to see me suck even more than usual.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bagpipes between periods would rule

That part was pretty neat but the whole thing was still odd.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Was the scratch a dick move move? Yeah. Do I regret it? Not in the slightest. Did we win the game with him gone? We dominated it.

He can’t position, he can’t shoot, he can’t catch a pass that hits his stick right on the tape, he can’t make a pass, he can barely skate, his stick is off the ice more than it’s on, and when we give him advice he doubles down on playing like poo poo. Then he’s got the gall to yell at one of the centers for covering the center of the ice, or me for getting beat on a drat 3-on-1 because our defensemen are busy trying to cover his rear end.

The scratch was effectively the warning shot to get it together or get out. I’ll be happy to give him back his money if it comes to that. He’s not coming back in the future.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Why not just tell him he’s not good enough for whatever team/league/division you’re playing, refund his money, and be on your way? “Scratching” him just seems super passive aggressive and completely wastes everyones time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah I gotta say your team might win and be the best but that whole outlook makes you the worst. i can’t imagine why that guy isn’t responding well to people who think it’s ok to give “healthy scratches” giving him advice.

good luck with all that, man.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 25, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I remember when we had a few flat tires on our team.

We moved the team up a division and had an honest conversation over a beer with them. Several cool things happened. The people who bitched about it the most got humbled because they actually suck as it’s beer league and everyone sucks, the team was overall competitive but lost more games but played better hockey doing so, we made new friends in the new division who went on to join the team later and join tournament teams and the guys who weren’t asked to join found new teams who seem to like them. We still see each other and have a drink in the parking lot or during a pick up skate when paths cross.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got told the team was kicking me out after our last game. Couldn't do it face to face though, we went to the bar for a few hours after the game and no hints but the next morning there was an email in my inbox.

They were all tryhards though, they were trying to beef up to be more of a threat in the league and a year later the team fell apart.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Was the scratch a dick move move? Yeah. Do I regret it? Not in the slightest. Did we win the game with him gone? We dominated it.

He can’t position, he can’t shoot, he can’t catch a pass that hits his stick right on the tape, he can’t make a pass, he can barely skate, his stick is off the ice more than it’s on, and when we give him advice he doubles down on playing like poo poo. Then he’s got the gall to yell at one of the centers for covering the center of the ice, or me for getting beat on a drat 3-on-1 because our defensemen are busy trying to cover his rear end.

The scratch was effectively the warning shot to get it together or get out. I’ll be happy to give him back his money if it comes to that. He’s not coming back in the future.

This is a huge dick move and you should feel bad. Give the guy his money back and let him find a better team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I got told the team was kicking me out after our last game. Couldn't do it face to face though, we went to the bar for a few hours after the game and no hints but the next morning there was an email in my inbox.

They were all tryhards though, they were trying to beef up to be more of a threat in the league and a year later the team fell apart.

I had a team do it to me but they waited on the email until after the draft skate so I specifically didn’t go play against them. Happens to everyone.

It legit killed my love of hockey for a few years. Pros: met my wife because I went to go do other stuff Cons: missed a lot of possible games of hockey

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
if you're bad, just bring beer. it's called intangibles

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

bewbies posted:

if you're bad, just bring beer. it's called intangibles

Seriously. I played on the worst team in our league for years but I think we had the most fun. Sometimes it sucked to get railed on, or basically be in the game and have a goaltender that gives up like every 3rd shot or having a defensive pair with an average age of 45 in a league that is 21+ who just get blown by every other shift but then they come huffing and puffing to the bench and make a joke about getting loving burned. It especially made the games we won, or were even just competitive in that much more fun because the other teams would HATE it. We sucked, nobody is supposed to lose to us. If you lost to us your team would get chirped the whole rest of the season for losing to us and we all thought it was hilarious. The other teams would have like meltdowns if they were losing to us. Yelling at the refs, yelling at each other, yelling at us. Our team was like half guys over 40 who were just hanging on to play some competitive hockey and the rest of us were in our mid to late 20's who played forever but didn't get passed high school varsity who just liked playing competitive hockey. And we were all pretty pumped on drinking beer after. The rest of the teams were all like mostly under 30 except like 1 or 2 guys and all thought they were playing for the NHL scouts or some poo poo with a small handful of them that played some form of jr's, prep school, or like D3 college. The closest anybody was to going pro was buying a ticket to a Bruins game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Current team has a history of being epic levels of terrible at hockey, even at the lowest division at the rink. The beer situation is also quite poor because we play late Sunday nights and almost everyone has to be ready to work the next morning so it's a lot of finish the game, strip the pads off, and run out the door.

But everyone gets along real well and we're on our third year with minimal churn.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm one of the youngest guys on my team at almost 40. I'd say 90% of us are actually defensemen, this team is the reason I enjoy playing up. We regularly only have 9 guys but beat teams much younger than us. We also probably spend more time drinking beer than playing. Definitely the best team I've played on since I picked up hockey again.

Does anyone have a Sparx sharpener? I ordered one with Christmas money since local shop is terrible at sharpening and I've been disappointed with the sharpen by mail guy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The over 50 league at my rink is certifiably insane. They show up in the afternoon on Sunday and start drinking before their games (most of which I think are somewhere in the slot of 7pm-9pm) and are still out in the lobby after midnight well after the last game is over. Their monthly beer budget must be absurd.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Apparently several teams complained and we’re getting bumped up a division. Honestly they could kick one guy out and we’d probably fall right back to the mean but oh well. Guess we’ll just get shredded any game he can’t make.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

z0331 posted:

Apparently several teams complained and we’re getting bumped up a division. Honestly they could kick one guy out and we’d probably fall right back to the mean but oh well. Guess we’ll just get shredded any game he can’t make.

Have you considered healthy scratching him?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

yeah I gotta say your team might win and be the best but that whole outlook makes you the worst. i can’t imagine why that guy isn’t responding well to people who think it’s ok to give “healthy scratches” giving him advice.

good luck with all that, man.

Ok, cool. I'm the worst person/captain/goalie of the far and away worst team in the worst non-instructional division in the house. Hell, the stats show it.

I'd refund the dude the back half of the season and take him off the team if I could.

xzzy posted:

The over 50 league at my rink is certifiably insane. They show up in the afternoon on Sunday and start drinking before their games (most of which I think are somewhere in the slot of 7pm-9pm) and are still out in the lobby after midnight well after the last game is over. Their monthly beer budget must be absurd.

I've seriously seen them build a pyramid of empty beers. 50+ is more of a drinking league that plays some incredibly well executed hockey games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

truly incredible how you continue to miss the point

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Just... Whatever someone poo poo in someone else's broken stick then throw it over the boards already

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo yeehaw you are 100% That Guy

z0331 posted:

these people own

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

z0331 posted:

I wish this happened everywhere.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Man it feels great when you finally launch a full-powered slapper. Even if it's just helping a 13 year old goalie warm up.

One of the kids came over and asked if I'd been practicing :lol:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Taking slippers at warmups against a 13 year old?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
You blasted 'em right square in the mask, I hope?

Ed: I mean, it was warm ups after all!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

He asked the two of us helping warm him up to fire some slapshots at him. And trust me, I'm no Shea Webber. A few of the bigger kids have better slappers than me.

They were mostly impressed that

1. I didn't whiff on it
2. It wasn't flat on the ice
3. It was actually harder than my wristers (which aren't great either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don’t ever pass up the opportunity to drop some howitzers on kids.