Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I thought we were talking about reseeding after upsets, eliminating conferences is a different thing. That’s a dumb way to describe it but I shoulder some blame for being too lazy to click the article

It's about reseeding the conference finals specifically, which would be pretty funny if the conference finals teams are e.g. LAL/LAC and BOS/PHI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I kind of like this Boston team.

They need to get bigger to beat the sixers

Maybe they will miss the sixers in the playoffs tho at this rate

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

big boi posted:

It's about reseeding the conference finals specifically, which would be pretty funny if the conference finals teams are e.g. LAL/LAC and BOS/PHI

What a weird proposal to begin with

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wooop
https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1214637115289456640?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Knicks are back in it !!!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He gone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He's coming home he's coming home tell the world he's coming home

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Don't see why he would stay if they don't win this year. Hes not getting the press, or the mvp hype he wanted, the parasite is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Femur posted:

, the parasite is.

Hahahah. Come on

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Wouldn't he just turn around and get a super max instead? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed he wasn't going to extend on his current deal.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Doltos posted:

Wouldn't he just turn around and get a super max instead? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed he wasn't going to extend on his current deal.

Yeah, it's a big deal of nothing. He would always get more by opting out instead of extending.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos posted:

Yeah he’s probably not leaving but this leaves it open

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The script is set he gone

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's a nice comparison but you have to look at some of the details here before you just willy nilly compare simmons to a hall of famer.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1214650552598061056?s=21

not surprised they’re milking it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

What a weird proposal to begin with

So its the closest they can get to eliminating conferences. You can't just take the top 16 for the first round of the playoffs because it would cause huge scheduling problems (ignoring the travel complaint, which is also valid). Say you have 6 of the 8 hosting teams in one timezone or within an hour of each other (which would have happened in PST in the recent past). You'd either have to start games at weird local times (like 5pm in PST or 9:30pm in EST) or you'd have a bunch of games directly on top of one another and pushing each other off NBATV, TNT, etc.

The latter option is really the only choice and it means less TV revenue and makes it harder for fans to watch out of market matchups. Reseeding for the conference finals is weird, but it means you're less likely to have the "real" NBA finals happen in the WCF. If the two best teams happen to be in the West I'd rather have them in the Finals against each other than them steam roll some East team there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, it was the only bit of the league's weird proposal I actually liked so of course it's the one that gets nixed

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Femur posted:

Don't see why he would stay if they don't win this year. Hes not getting the press, or the mvp hype he wanted, the parasite is.

man you really hate Alex Caruso

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Normally I would say something mean like they should retire his lovely goatee over those stupid chipmunk jowls but I remembered that he is a Good Dad and Cool so I hope he enjoys the ceremony. :)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

WhyteRyce posted:

Rivalries are cool. But in the NBA they generally are short lived things, certainly nothing like the legacy rivalries that college sports, NFL, or MLB. So why avoid changing changing how the playoffs are structured because of it.
Remembering the Toronto/Brooklyn rivalry. What a beautiful thing. It ended immediately when Paul Pierce retired though

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish the NBA playoffs were the best 16 teams and then the top seeds picked who they want in round 1 like the G-League does (or did. too lazy to see if they still do it.) Teams calling out other teams would be create rivalries faster than normal. It'd also be hilarious to see an overconfident 1 seed pick a 2 seed missing a player then lose the series.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Fast Luck posted:

Remembering the Toronto/Brooklyn rivalry. What a beautiful thing. It ended immediately when Paul Pierce retired though

Every good rivalry needs a Paul Pierce type.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Every good rivalry needs a Paul Pierce type.

Nate Robinson

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/jgsiegel/status/1214669233402966016?s=20

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Metapod posted:

He couldn't get 1 rebound?

theres no rebound if you make every shot m'pod

chunkles fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 8, 2020

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Cool Buff Man posted:

Then the Suns should model themselves after the Mavs and hit on more people imo

loving lmao im dead

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The OKC/Warriors rivalry was fun before Kevin Durant defected

Even Heat/Nets was pretty fun

we've just forgotten about them because we have no memory. The super short contracts from the new CBA don't help

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

theres no rebound if you make every shot m'pod

As a brodian, theres always a rebound

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Shaq waited until he got paid to get massively fat. Good on Jokic for "Samo jednom se živi"

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I feel like NBA rivalries are constantly in flux and not decided my region. The Heat and the Knicks used to be rivals because of the 90s and the Melo Knicks, but now that's over. Now the Heat are rivals with the 76ers because of Jimmy Butler leaving that team and the 76ers having eliminated the Heat in the playoffs two years ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Femur posted:

The Lakers are 14 points better when LeBron is on the floor than without man. At worst he's a symbiote

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I always preferred Celtics-Philly to Celtics-Lakers, as far as rivalries go. They've produced some fantastic fuckin games over the years.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
LeBron is the Sampo of basketball

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Rick posted:

The Lakers are 14 points better when LeBron is on the floor than without man. At worst he's a symbiote

Lebron is forcing Vogel to play him with the best 5-man units to pump his on/off stats, open your eyes my friend

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I'm trying to figure out why Kuzma feels like he is dissapointing this year and I after a lot of digging through stats, and I really feel like Vogel's just isn't using him right. I did a deep dive into his scoring by play type on NBA.com, looked at 82 games, and a bunch of other things. His spot up shooting is much better and his isolation numbers are improved (I would not have expected this). On the other hand, he even though his effiency is up on most things, he is taking less efficient shots more often. He is spotting up almost 50% more than year (30% of his possessions this year vs 22% last year), but his PPP is still only 1.06 on spotups. His FG% on drives to the basket have dropped 10% this season and he isn't driving as much (about 50% less). He is getting half as many transition opportunities.

His defense is fine, a DRTG of 109 is basically league average and is the same as good defensive player KCP (though they're both the worst among rotation players on the Lakers)

Basically AD stole his minutes and his opportunities from his favorite spots, but AD is even better at scoring from all of those places. The offense doesn't have room for him to get his easy layups that he has gotten the last 2 seasons. He is scoring the same per 36 as he was last year, despite taking significantly less efficient shots.

So yeah, I think he will probably do very well if he gets traded since he is basically more efficient at almost everything he is doing, he is just being asked to do less efficient things

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

The OKC/Warriors rivalry was fun before Kevin Durant defected

Even Heat/Nets was pretty fun

we've just forgotten about them because we have no memory. The super short contracts from the new CBA don't help

But that's the point. It's a thing for a short amount of time and then the players move on or the team changes. There is no point in not mixing up the teams up to make playoff improvements because you remembered that like a billion years ago the Suns and Spurs put on some really entertaining playoff series.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I don't think an average DRTG is enough evidence to call a guy fine/good at defense, it's a team stat

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

So I'm trying to figure out why Kuzma feels like he is dissapointing this year and I after a lot of digging through stats, and I really feel like Vogel's just isn't using him right. I did a deep dive into his scoring by play type on NBA.com, looked at 82 games, and a bunch of other things. His spot up shooting is much better and his isolation numbers are improved (I would not have expected this). On the other hand, he even though his effiency is up on most things, he is taking less efficient shots more often. He is spotting up almost 50% more than year (30% of his possessions this year vs 22% last year), but his PPP is still only 1.06 on spotups. His FG% on drives to the basket have dropped 10% this season and he isn't driving as much (about 50% less). He is getting half as many transition opportunities.

His defense is fine, a DRTG of 109 is basically league average and is the same as good defensive player KCP (though they're both the worst among rotation players on the Lakers)

Basically AD stole his minutes and his opportunities from his favorite spots, but AD is even better at scoring from all of those places. The offense doesn't have room for him to get his easy layups that he has gotten the last 2 seasons. He is scoring the same per 36 as he was last year, despite taking significantly less efficient shots.

So yeah, I think he will probably do very well if he gets traded since he is basically more efficient at almost everything he is doing, he is just being asked to do less efficient things

To me (stupid) it looks like they mostly give him the ball only when Lebron and AD are out and whatever they try and do at those times always looks horrible. In other words I believe this is somehow Rondo's fault

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
lmao if you think kyle kuzma inefficiently chucking is a coaching decision, he's tall jordan clarkson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't think an average DRTG is enough evidence to call a guy fine/good at defense, it's a team stat

DRTG for a player isn't a team stat, it's a way of assigning points on an individual looking at a bunch of box score stuff. Player DRTG and team DRTG are different (though somewhat related) stats.

However, DRTG is pretty bad for a couple of reasons and not a good way of measuring defense, in addition to trying to compare a big like Kuzma and a guard/wing like KCP.

I think Kuzma will look better on a different team too, but if he can't look decent playing as a 5th option/bench guy I don't really know what all he'll be in this league.