Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Last night I think my shin pad was too far down and digging into the top of my ankle flesh and by the end of the game I could barely put weight on it. I tried loosening my skates part way through the game but it didn’t help at all.

This has me thinking about how others tuck their shin pads around their skates. Currently. I don’t tuck any part of my skate into my sock, what does everyone else do for their skate? Just let the tongue fly free? Tuck it full in? I’ve never played around with tucking my skate inter my sock or shin pad so I’m open to whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I tuck my shin pad under my skate tongue. I used to do shin pad over skate tongue but then one time it shifted down on me and I fell and banged my knee.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Shinguards over tongues. Leave the back of the skate outside the sock. One strip of tape around the knee to keep shinguards up. Maybe your shinguards are too long? Or they just slid down.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I tuck it under the tongue. I've never tried tucking it over the tongue and the very thought is weirding me out.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
This was the first time it’s happened to me and I think it was just because I showed up late so I only had a few minutes to get dressed and rushed through the whole process so it’s 100% user error, but just considering it as an excuse to try something new

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I put my shinguards over my tongue, and my sock goes over everything, including achilles guard. No tape.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

calandryll posted:

For those with kids, when did you strap skates on them?

Our 16 month old was at my game last night, the other team was a no-show so we got free ice time, and my daughter and wife sat in the penalty box watching. Our daughter loved it, she likes watching with me when I watch on TV. Figure get her used to skates early so she can be a lot better skater than I will ever be.

My daughter is 3 and just getting into it, looking at getting her into some classes soon. So far I just have her marching on the ice and getting used to it. Gotta get out a few times without her mom though who won't let her fall over, gotta teach the mini that its ok to fall and its not that bad! My tip would be put them in prety well padded ski clothes and elbow/knee pads and let em go to town.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have 10mo old twins. They can walk with those walker toy thingies. Gonna strap tiny-rear end skates on them and give them a bucket.

Not serious, but that would legit be adorable.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ginette Reno posted:

I tuck it under the tongue. I've never tried tucking it over the tongue and the very thought is weirding me out.

:same:

Tucking the tongue of your skate under your shin guards is an affront to god.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have 10mo old twins. They can walk with those walker toy thingies. Gonna strap tiny-rear end skates on them and give them a bucket.

One of my team mates brings his 3 year old to public skate with her helmet and everything, and it is unbelievably adorable.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 14, 2020

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I bought double bladed strap on that are adjustable for about 10 bucks. Already have a bike helmet so next public skate going to get her strapped up and see how she does. Figure with the double blade it's more like walking than skating.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I know I was in learn to skate classes by like 2 or 3 and playing hockey by 5. Start 'em young. My skill level probably hit its peak by the time I was 8, but I'm still trying.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I took my first learn to skate class at age 34.

I do not recommend waiting that long.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I got 5 and a game tonight for getting punched in the cage and pushing the dude away from me. Good poo poo.

It was this guys last game before he moved away, so he gooned it up like crazy.

At least it was fun drinking beers in the stands in full pads while watching the third period.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Had power skating again last night. Turns out I've been backwards skating wrong this whole time (wiggling my hips and not doing proper c cuts.) I wish I had taken this class like four years ago before I developed all my bad habits.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So all you arm chair refs out there, question for you, in our game tonight there was a bit of a board battle at our blue line where our winger was trying to get the puck out of our zone and their D was trying to keep it in. It got typical board battle-y and our winger got his helmet ripped off as he kind of had his head under their D's arm and their D sort of rotated back with the puck but kept his elbow pinned to his side and ripped our wingers helmet off. Play continued for a good minute and a half as they immediately dumped back into our zone and our winger is skating around without a helmet. Our whole bench is screaming at the refs to blow the whistle (as well as some of their bench) as play continues and they're taking shots at our net with our helmetless winger skating around. Refs refuse to blow it until our goalie covers.

Does anyone know the USA hockey rules here? Are they supposed to blow it dead immediately? Someone was saying if our winger didn't skate to the bench immediately its actually a penalty on us. There was a whole lot of confusion going on but everyone agreed it was a pretty dangerous situation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

USA hockey says adults can't rejoin the play until the helmet is back on. So yes, you should have eaten a penalty.

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084402-rule-304-protective-equipment

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
refs dont stop play, but he has to come off the ice immediately or it is a minor

it also is not particularly dangerous. lots of hockey gets played without helmets.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

it also is not particularly dangerous. lots of hockey gets played without helmets.

Strongly disagree about the danger. I've seen 3 concussions in the past year or so, one very serious, just from simple falls at public skates. Add physical impact from other players, flying pucks, high sticks... the only time I'd be on the ice without a bucket would be the time it took to get off the ice if my helmet came off.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Considering how crazy our USA hockey refs are about chin straps (having them and making sure they actually secure), if a player lost his helmet they would likely stop the game or make them get off the ice.

I wouldn't play without a helmet. It's beer league, not worth it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

prom candy posted:

Had power skating again last night. Turns out I've been backwards skating wrong this whole time (wiggling my hips and not doing proper c cuts.) I wish I had taken this class like four years ago before I developed all my bad habits.

Every time someone says "hey guys I'm just starting out what should I do" I always say get a proper teacher. Doesn't have to be power skating but at least get someone that has a job as a skating coach to watch you and work the fundamentals.

After a half year or so then go into power skating.

So many replies on Reddit are "oh that isn't needed" or "I did fine without it" and poo poo like that. It's so hard to break bad habits once they're set in.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just helped 2 guys on my team score their first goals and they both were so excited :3

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Should have healthy scratches them if they were pathetic enough not have any goals.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Was coaching my kid's team Thursday and one of the kids nailed me right in the knee with a wrist shot. Dropped me like a rock, holy hell that hurt. Avocado-sized hematoma is finally going away, nothing broken. Hurts like hell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I used to do stick and pucks without shin guards until some rear end clown practicing slapshots nailed me directly on the shin because he didn't know the etiquette of stooping while someone gets all the pucks in the net. It dropped me like a bag of cement. I don't trust people. Most of them are idiots.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm wearing my shins to coach tomorrow for sure. 13-14 year olds are absolutely oblivious to their surroundings.

The pain was damned impressive. My worst pain ever is a close contest between a kidney stone and a burn I got on my hand years ago, but that puck hitting my knee was instantaneous and crippling for a few minutes. Crazy.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Dude I played with last night tried to go into the game with only a helmet and gloves last night, no other padding. The ref made him fish some shin guards out of the lost and found to wear which was good because sticks were flying in that game. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are at hockey and how well you handle your stick, you have to base your level of padding on the competence of the worst person on the ice.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/gilliankemmerer/status/1218930261708222464?s=21

You too can own Brad Marchand’s stick for the low price of $350

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

what's their bullshit theory of improvement this time?

I've seen that stick showing up in the nhl but no marketing speak.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

what's their bullshit theory of improvement this time?

I've seen that stick showing up in the nhl but no marketing speak.

Probably something about you cradling the puck with a more delicate touch since there's less blade touching the puck.

How the gently caress do you even tape that stick?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think you’re supposed to just tape it up normally and cover the hole, which is good because it’ll keep the top part from becoming a shank once it inevitably and quickly breaks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I feel like that upper part of the toe would break super easily from either catching a shot or jamming up in the boards

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It says Slingtech on the blade. I bet the idea is the smaller blade is whippier.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hey I know where I've seen this design before

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of sticks, I think getting a clearance stick with grip texture on it has broken me. I hated it at first but was stuck with it, then I used a non-grip stick last night and it felt like I was holding an icecicle. Now I love grip sticks.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah same. Plus this could just be me, but I think stick manufacturers are finally dialing in to how tacky the stick should be. I first bought a grip shaft from Warrior like 10 years ago and it was like my glove was glued to the stick. I use CCM sticks now and the level of grip is just enough. Plus the grip will wear a bit which I actually kinda like

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So I played last night and my skate was still really pushing against the top of my foot, but at least not as painfully as last week so I could easily finish the game, but my foot is still a bit sore this morning. Anyone else have experience with this type of thing? My laces are curled up at the top so they’re more like thin circles than the flat laces they’re supposed to be, so maybe that’s what causing it and maybe I just need new laces. I want to figure this out before my team healthy scratches me for limping on the ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Re lace your entire skates this way https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAokL8Wmb9M

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

TheJetCityFix posted:

Thats the one I'm playing in. I'm pretty stoked, I've always wanted to play outdoors.

Check your PMs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Scored a one-timer goal tonight after a dude on the other team accidentally passed me the puck. Skated past him and jokingly said, “thanks for the assist.” As I’m skating toward my bench he comes up behind me and chops my stick in half. He gets a 2 for slashing.

Next period he skates up to me and said “hey I’ll buy you a new stick. I hope it wasn’t $200.” Until he did that, I was absolutely 100% going to chop his in half later in the game off a face off or something. We’ll see what happens. I’m not optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

dude was totally in the mood for your joke

you were being a dickhead imo and knew what you were doing but it doesn’t deserve a stick chop so that’s cool i guess