Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

My issue with Invisible War is that PC version on Steam or disc was a crashfest. I should get it on GOG next sale and try again.

The internet being what it is, there's a fan patch that turns the PC version from a gigantic flaming mess into a small, smouldering untidiness. I played through IW with it a couple of years ago and it ran great.

I'd personally advise against the texture pack tho. It looks weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lightningproof posted:

The internet being what it is, there's a fan patch that turns the PC version from a gigantic flaming mess into a small, smouldering untidiness. I played through IW with it a couple of years ago and it ran great.

I'd personally advise against the texture pack tho. It looks weird as hell.

Just installed it with the Steam version. Thanks for the tip!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Old men are the future.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Gobblecoque posted:

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Yeah ive owned it since release, when it was still ugly and slow

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The CGW review of Deus Ex was interesting, since they loved it and also gave it 3.5 stars because it’s got some major problems. They even mention it’s one of those games that shows a scored review system is incredibly flawed, because it was the kind of game that would be remembered as one of the best of all time but here it is getting 3.5/5. Some people can’t get past the issues it has, just like any other game. I’ve beaten it at least 10 times, personally, it’s a favorite, but it’s not gonna work for everyone.

Troutpack
Dec 29, 2008

He wants to watch him suffer.

Statutory Ape posted:

That's terror.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Statutory Ape posted:

I think they were going for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P40_kd-mS8

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, I’m having a blast with The Surge 2. The only other Soulslike I’d played was... Dark Souls 2. Nothing clicked for me after an hour of playing DS2, but I’m 10+ hours into The Surge 2 and I get the appeal of the genre now.

If it goes on sale and you’re interested in the genre, this is a fun one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a staunch believer in installing BioMod to make Deus Ex even better/even more modern, but even that still won't magically make Liberty Island a smooth experience for a newbie.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, I’m having a blast with The Surge 2. The only other Soulslike I’d played was... Dark Souls 2. Nothing clicked for me after an hour of playing DS2, but I’m 10+ hours into The Surge 2 and I get the appeal of the genre now.

Have you tried DS3? Or DS1? DS2 tends to be regarded as the weaker of the trilogy.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Two new freebies on GOG I've been curious about (but not enough to buy): Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge! No expiration.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ymgve posted:

Have you tried DS3? Or DS1? DS2 tends to be regarded as the weaker of the trilogy.

I liked 2 more than 3, and I played 2 a hell of a lot more than 1 in the end. I bounced off it a bit initially, but after getting used to 2 I loved it. Dual wielding was a great addition, and though the combat felt like it lost some weight, it wasn't the hyper fast insanity that was ds3

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

doctorfrog posted:

Two new freebies on GOG I've been curious about (but not enough to buy): Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge! No expiration.

Will I ever play this? Nope. But is it an interesting piece of history that I now own for free? Hell yeah! loving love GOG so drat much.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Surge 1 was considered derivative but ambitious for a Dark Souls clone. I can only imagine they finally nailed it. The setting for the first one was pretty cool, so I'm glad to see more.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ymgve posted:

I haven't played any, but that's interesting how it bucks the trend. The old trope for trilogies is that the first one is good but needs polish, the second is the peak and the third pisses itself.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

3>1>>>>>>>>>>>>>2

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I got Deus Ex at release and remember being so blown away by that first level. Never looked back! What a game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Much like Final Fantasy, everyone thinks game x is the worst in the DS series.

Except Bloodborne. Everyone loves Bloodborne.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

DS2 is the best one, 3 is bad, and Sekiro beats all of them (I've not played DeS or BB). Thanks for listening.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

All Dark Souls are good and they all have their own flaws. Learn to love them all. Bloodborne is a masterpiece and Sekiro can't beat them because is not a Bloodsouls/Soulsborne, it's a different beast and a good one.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
DS2 breaks from the mold in significant ways which is why people who don't like the rest of souls-likes choose it as their favorite.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lightningproof posted:

DS2 is the best one, 3 is bad, and Sekiro beats all of them (I've not played DeS or BB). Thanks for listening.

I probably wouldn't care for Sekiro as I hear it has highly 'parry' based gameplay. Thankfully The Surge 2 allows you to ignore the function in its entirety if you choose to, while still remaining perfectly playable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I probably wouldn't care for Sekiro as I hear it has highly 'parry' based gameplay. Thankfully The Surge 2 allows you to ignore the function in its entirety if you choose to, while still remaining perfectly playable.

You are correct. Sekiro is entirely parrying and if you enjoy having a variety of weapons in other games you will dislike being forced to use a sword only

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Always worth saying that it's not Dark Souls parrying which is very punishing with a tiny window, Sekiro deflecting meanwhile is a core mechanic and appropriately easier and more forgiving.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kanfy posted:

Always worth saying that it's not Dark Souls parrying which is very punishing with a tiny window, Sekiro deflecting meanwhile is a core mechanic and appropriately easier and more forgiving.

If it's more Ninja Gaiden than The Surge 2, I'll be down for some parrying.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kanfy posted:

oh boy a 5 frame window to a 10 frame window

its still 10 hours of just parrying, parrying for every fight :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

oh boy a 5 frame window to a 10 frame window

its still 10 hours of just parrying, parrying for every fight :colbert:

It's a 30 frame window which is very generous but yes, if you're fundamentally opposed to pressing a button for the length of a video game then that will certainly disqualify this particular one.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
How is Surge 2 anyway? That SunhiLegend person on Twitter has posted gifs that make it look really cool, but their gifs could make any game look cool so that isn't really a safe recommendation.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also a failed parry in Dark Souls means you get hit

A failed parry in Sekiro is still a successful block

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sup thread, any of ya'll ever play Submarine Titans? I've always wanted to play it, especially back in the early 2000's when my favorite games were Starcraft, Ground Control, Homeworld, Earth 2150 and Age of Mythology. What a good time for RTSs. It always looked a bit like a clone of Starcraft, but it also looked really interesting. Is it worth checking out nowadays?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chaosapiant posted:

Sup thread, any of ya'll ever play Submarine Titans? I've always wanted to play it, especially back in the early 2000's when my favorite games were Starcraft, Ground Control, Homeworld, Earth 2150 and Age of Mythology. What a good time for RTSs. It always looked a bit like a clone of Starcraft, but it also looked really interesting. Is it worth checking out nowadays?

Played it when it came out and it sucked. It plays like a really bad starcraft clone from the era. 3 sides, one is human, second is alien, third is futuristic, just like almost every RTS from that era. It doesn't even feel like it takes underwater and all the units kind of blend together. Finally I just remembered it turning into blob vs. blob battles with no tactics to speak of.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RichterIX posted:

How is Surge 2 anyway? That SunhiLegend person on Twitter has posted gifs that make it look really cool, but their gifs could make any game look cool so that isn't really a safe recommendation.

I paid 11 USD for it and it's been my best video game purchase in a long time. I can't stand long games (usually a few hours is all I'll give a game) but I'm 18 hours into The Surge 2 and bummed I can see the finish line already. Actually considering moving on to the first The Surge but I know it'll probably disappoint by comparison.

It's a lot of fun, especially if you like the aesthetic.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

Starcraft, Ground Control, Homeworld, Earth 2150 and Age of Mythology. What a good time for RTSs.

As a huge fan of classic RTSs, that list of games makes me feel things I can’t put into words. :kimchi:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Total Annihilation, too

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Angry_Ed posted:

Total Annihilation, too

Sadly I never played that one. Or the Myth series. Are those worth going back to and checking out?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mekyabetsu posted:

As a huge fan of classic RTSs, that list of games makes me feel things I can’t put into words. :kimchi:

FilePlanet having Ground Control for free was the coolest thing in the world when I was in high school. You never saw big ticket games given away like that back then.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ground Control needs an in-mission save and time compression but otherwise stands up really really well to the test of time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ground Control was the first game I ever heard Jennifer Hale in. When I played KOTOR later I did a double-take on Bastilla's voice because I could've sworn I'd heard it before. I loved that game. I wish someone had done some modern anything with it so it would run with tighter controls and widescreen.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chaosapiant posted:

Sadly I never played that one. Or the Myth series. Are those worth going back to and checking out?

Definitely. Total Annihilation is stupid amounts of fun and still holds up to this day. If you want to play multiplayer, you can play an updated version of it at https://springrts.com/ which is the game in full 3d minus the campaign missions. Myth is also really good but you'll have to go to an abandonware site to get it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Myth and Myth 2 are amazing RTS games with fun storytelling. If you want to read the books the games are ripping off wholesale you can check out The Black Company series; they're pretty alright reads if you like gritty fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Any game is worth looking at if it looks interesting to you. The question is, "is it worth my time to invest into knowing whether I'll enjoy this game or not?" But if you just enjoy looking at old games, hell yes, it's worth it. I doubt I'll play Lords of Midnight for more than a couple hours, much less finish it, but I've already read the novella and have taken a few notes about what I want my characters to do. I don't have to go to film school to enjoy a movie, and I don't have to play much of a game to enjoy it about as much as I'm gonna.