Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news is high school seasons are getting close to ending so we're about to get those sweet summer timeslots.

The bad news is I stuck a hand out to brace for a fall last night and now that shoulder hurts like hell to move so I'm scheduling a doctor appointment and hoping nothing cartilage related got hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
We’ve been spoiled with the 9:10 time slot for the last season, but I also feel like a lot of people I play with are starting to get bored of hockey and finding every little excuse to skip out of games (like the two dudes who’s wives are expecting the same weekend as our tournament). Maybe we’ll healthy scratch them to make them want to play more.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm pretty sure every game this season for us has a start time between 9:20pm and 10:40pm.

So far we're 2-1 this season, with all games being decided by 1 goal. I've been wildly inconsistent all year, which has been super frustrating. I'll have a complete garbage shift and then the very next shift I play great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most of our games start at 1030. I've had games that start at 11:15. On a Tuesday.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Last game we were like 4 minutes into the first period on a 9:45 pm start when someone came in to the scorer's box and then at the next whistle refs came to the benches and told everyone that the locker rooms for both teams of the game before us got ripped off.

So the refs let us go back to our locker rooms and get our valuables. Took longer to get a key for the locker room. I think it was like a 15 minute delay, overall. We still played the full game though, which was nice.

Whoever did it must have hit them soon after they started playing because I didn't see anyone going into any locker rooms when I came in.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

There are a couple of guys I know that bring their keys/wallets/phones to the bench in small bags and such - I'm starting to be convinced that's not a bad idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We get keys to the locker rooms by default where we skate, last dude to get dressed locks up and brings the key to the bench.

I don't know how the gently caress the building passes fire code though, as the set up is with the showers shared between two locker rooms, and those doors can be locked too.. from one side. Once it's locked you can't open it from the bathroom side.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
After an employee caught someone snooping through bags during Rat Hockey, I started leaving my wallet and phone locked in my car.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
For rinks that don't have locking locker rooms, we just run a goodie bag that we bring to the bench with everyone's phones and wallets.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 11, 2020

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

For rinks that don't have locking locker rooms, we just run a goodie bag that we bring to the bench with everyone's phones and wallets.

This bag is then left in the middle of the dressing room.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Bradf0rd posted:

This bag is then left in the middle of the dressing room.

A solid 50% of the time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When doing forward crossovers I still can't get the outside edge on my inside foot activated. I get a good push from my outside foot but that inside foot slides laterally along the ice. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can do the motions just fine, but I want the power from that second push. Even when I do big exaggerated one foot turns I just can't seem to get on that outside edge.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

When doing forward crossovers I still can't get the outside edge on my inside foot activated. I get a good push from my outside foot but that inside foot slides laterally along the ice. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can do the motions just fine, but I want the power from that second push. Even when I do big exaggerated one foot turns I just can't seem to get on that outside edge.

You're probably not low enough and not leaning enough for your outside edges to be used to their full effect. Work on balancing on a single outside edge by itself, either via figure 8s, c-cuts, or just gliding for as long as you can around a circle.

I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to do things correctly right away, but honestly it just takes time for your muscles to get used to the motion and balance, as well as being able to trust your edges and know how far you can push them. As long as you keep practicing, you'll get better in time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You're probably not low enough and not leaning enough for your outside edges to be used to their full effect. Work on balancing on a single outside edge by itself, either via figure 8s, c-cuts, or just gliding for as long as you can around a circle.

I know how frustrating it can be to not be able to do things correctly right away, but honestly it just takes time for your muscles to get used to the motion and balance, as well as being able to trust your edges and know how far you can push them. As long as you keep practicing, you'll get better in time.

Yeah I need to put the time in and really bear down it I guess. I think I need to lean until I fall because I'm probably not leaning nearly as far as I think I am. This isn't a right away thing though, I've been playing for 5 years now!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I've been playing for 30 years on and off, outside edges are probably the hardest thing I had to learn. And they still suck, but ONLY when I'm consciously thinking about getting on that edge.

Crossovers are solid, turns are fine, etc. But the instant I go "Okay, outside edge work..." I become a baby deer on skates. It's weird.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Headed back to the pond for game #2. Lost this morning 21-6, but holy poo poo is this a fun event.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Stitecin posted:

Headed back to the pond for game #2. Lost this morning 21-6, but holy poo poo is this a fun event.

Yeah we got wrecked 18-5 this morning and I'm stupid hung over and is it just me or is the air thinner up here? :v:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We’re finishing a 6 course meal from a private chef in our mansion. Have fun, pheasants.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

We’re finishing a 6 course meal from a private chef in our mansion. Have fun, pheasants.

Are we here for hockey?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Stitecin posted:

Oh hey looks like we're playing you at 745p tomorrow.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Duke Chin posted:

Oh hey looks like we're playing you at 745p tomorrow.

I don't think so, we play at 9:15 am and 5:30 pm tomorrow.

We lost 23-4 tonight.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Currently watching Slap Shot. Who cares about games?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We got a "pro", as people were calling it, in September. I told people to watch Slap Shot as a preview since they are part of the federal league. Also the "arena" where they play, same rink we play our games in, has a capacity of about 300.

I watched Youngblood a few months ago. So terrible but good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ice was perfect this morning boys

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 16, 2020

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Ice was perfect this morning boys

It really was. There was like 1, maybe 2 small ruts on our first ice. Hope tomorrow morning is just as good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Nearly half of my skaters are playing in a league championship game for another team tonight, and 2 of my other skaters called in sick this morning. If I don't find people to sub, we're looking at 7 skaters tonight. :ohdear:

The worst part is there are really strict rules about who can sub. They have to be people who are either currently in our league or were in it last season, so my options are limited.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

It really was. There was like 1, maybe 2 small ruts on our first ice. Hope tomorrow morning is just as good.

you found them both, didn't you

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

DJExile posted:

you found them both, didn't you

For once, no. Outside of the first game I did very little falling.

cause I wasn't skating very hard lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I toepicked hard coming off the bench a couple games ago. Unfortunately it was during a stoppage and everyone was waiting for me to line up, so there were at least 11 people watching it happen.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our goalie has a video of me getting on the ice with my skate guards on. I'll have to see if I can find it. Of course thy knew I was getting on the ice with them on and didn't say anything, the assholes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

Our goalie has a video of me getting on the ice with my skate guards on. I'll have to see if I can find it. Of course thy knew I was getting on the ice with them on and didn't say anything, the assholes.

I know this probably looks hilarious when it works out, but man, I don't think I could ever let someone do that, or do poo poo like put clear tape on someone's blades. The small chance that someone blows an ACL and is out for a year would be loving awful.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I know this probably looks hilarious when it works out, but man, I don't think I could ever let someone do that, or do poo poo like put clear tape on someone's blades. The small chance that someone blows an ACL and is out for a year would be loving awful.

Buddy on my hockey team told me I was going out with the guards on because he actually tore a muscle in his groin doing that. Everyone else was going to let me go but he just said gently caress that.

It's hilarious enough someone's going to do it but you can really gently caress yourself up if you genuinely do it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Down 1-0 late, we pulled our goalie and managed to score the tying goal with 8 seconds left. :toot:

Then we lost in OT. :negative:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I think I bought longer laces than before when I got new laces, because there’s a lot more extra lace flopping around after I tie my skates now. It got to a point last game where the extra lace was getting under my blade and I slept slipping and actually sliced off the end of the lace, so at least it’s slightly better length now on that side.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

One of yall needs to find this guy and get him on your beer league team because he sounds awesome

https://twitter.com/eliteprospects/status/1229806657254936577

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

V for Vegans posted:

I think I bought longer laces than before when I got new laces, because there’s a lot more extra lace flopping around after I tie my skates now. It got to a point last game where the extra lace was getting under my blade and I slept slipping and actually sliced off the end of the lace, so at least it’s slightly better length now on that side.

I got foot stomped once while playing in front of the net which sliced my waxed laces clean in half. I bought a new set and they were comically too short. I bought another new set and they were annoyingly long. Once I found the right size, I wrote the size of laces and sharpening hollow in black sharpie on the inside of my plastic runner so that I could never forget again. It also helps when getting my skates sharpened because they can't miss the 1/2" on the runner.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I can no longer find the length of laces I like in wax. I might have to buy a longer pair and shorten them somehow.

Also if I have to re-tie my skates partway through every game are they too big? My first pair was 6.5, I'm in 5.5s now. I wear size 8 shoes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No it means you're bad at tying knots.

Double knot them if you need to.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

prom candy posted:

I can no longer find the length of laces I like in wax. I might have to buy a longer pair and shorten them somehow.

Also if I have to re-tie my skates partway through every game are they too big? My first pair was 6.5, I'm in 5.5s now. I wear size 8 shoes.

That seems like a massive discrepancy in sizes. Do you try to keep the laces tight or more on the loose end?

E: yeah double knot them or tape them up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

PBR 2020 was a raging success of wonton self indulgence and relatively competitive hockey.

Plz post your fav memories.