Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

why didn’t they toss him for a match penalty, seems pretty clear cut imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Man, a lot more stupid poo poo happens in your GSHL games than mine.

(stick_yeet.gif)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have no idea. I was talking to sellers (ref) all night about his NHL.com feature from Winthrop. He's a cool dude and one of my favorite refs.

I used to think that maybe it correlated to skill (or lack thereof) but there are shitheads in every level of every sport. Maybe they didn't play organized hockey so they never learned the rules. Maybe they never played full contact so they never got wrecked for doing stupid poo poo? Maybe they don't know the difference between incidental contact and intentional shitbaggery. I have no clue. I just try to play a clean game and chat with guys on the ice. I don't get when people come to hockey just to release their issues on the ice.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

People like that are angry about something at home, or their small dick, and you should ask them about it at every opportunity.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Speaking of, played against this guy earlier this week and he was real mad about getting tossed:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It doesn't have much to do with their hockey career, it's just normal idiots that see it as a way to act like a shitheel with minimal repercussions. I'm sure we've all seen that goony poo poo from dudes that can barely stop to dudes that skated college.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

It doesn't have much to do with their hockey career, it's just normal idiots that see it as a way to act like a shitheel with minimal repercussions. I'm sure we've all seen that goony poo poo from dudes that can barely stop to dudes that skated college.

I feel like it's a bell curve, where the players who are really good and really bad are the least likely to be shitheads, but the players who peaked in high school have the highest chance of being assholes.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I feel like it's a bell curve, where the players who are really good and really bad are the least likely to be shitheads, but the players who peaked in high school have the highest chance of being assholes.

That is how it has been in my experience. It's almost really whenever they peaked did they realize that was it? Guys who played D1 in college but knew their ceiling and basically used hockey to actually get the free education from a name brand school are usually super cool and are just playing to have fun. Guys who "almost made it", by that I mean paid to play on a jr team or maybe even got paid $50/game for some Northern New Mexico Semi-Pro Hockey League and have a couple fight videos on YouTube, are the guys who I find are still looking for their shot and will run a guy for no reason.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Everybody catch the 42 year old zamboni driver suiting up to play net for the Canes tonight? There's hope for all of us!

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I feel bad for every beer league goalie who now has to hear jokes about “so when are you making your NHL debut!” for the next month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

Everybody catch the 42 year old zamboni driver suiting up to play net for the Canes tonight? There's hope for all of us!

I love seeing these stories.

Dude is/was a practice goalie for the Marlies as well and he was even wearing the Marlies helmet. It was awesome to see the Canes mob him after the win and in the locker room.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 23, 2020

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

V for Vegans posted:

I feel bad for every beer league goalie who now has to hear jokes about “so when are you making your NHL debut!” for the next month.

Hi. When Scott Foster did it as a 37 year old accountant and I was a 36 year old accountant, it was weeks of this. I expect nothing but this tonight.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The league that I used to play at has 12 divisions, and 4-9 are to be avoided because of poo poo like this. That's not to say that you still get some idiots ruining your night at least one game a year in the other divisions. HeyStripes, the guy on youtube sometimes covers the league and you can see some tomfoolery happen there (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDys7LRp0Xbz3ceUEn6XgDQ).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love watching the higher skill games on that dude's channel. The game is super fun to watch from the ref's position.

(which is why I'd be a horrible ref, I'd forget to look for infractions. he spots poo poo that I have to replay like four times to pick out)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
nothing like a dildo in a cage and robocop shoulder pads who can barely stand up on skates throwing gloved haymakers while desperately trying to keep his balance

after the first period last night we were down 2-0, and had been outshot 20-1

after the second, we were outshooting them 29-21, and it was 2-2

we won 6-2, and outshot them 44-24

i'm not sure if i've ever played in a game like that before in my life, it was bizarre

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My bizarre games continue. Last night was a weird one where we played a team in another league. They were yelling at the refs within the first 2 minutes of the game. We were dominating the play and it was clear we were the better team though the score never reflected it. They had a few players that fell any time contact was made. They would then flip a poo poo and scream for a checking penalty. One of their girls fell any time you looked at her and she skated into people with her head down constantly. I think she "hit" three guys in one shift and all her teammates started getting pissed. They ended up taking a lot of dumb penalties.

One of their guys who looked like a pirate got a penalty for an interference and asked our player if he sucked the ref off before the game. That got him another penalty.

I get a breakaway and right as I go to take my shot I feel a stick in my back and go flying into the goalie, smacking my head on the post. They give him a 2 minute interference. I'm pretty sure my stick got whittled down to a tooth pick after playing center that game.

I had an old guy slash me in the hands because I chipped a puck and *the puck* hit him in the face. I'm a very level headed guy but after having my finger broken from a similar slash last month, part of me wanted to put this guy on his rear end but cooler heads prevailed and I got back into the play. At this point, I have zero sympathy for guys in visors who get pissed that random poo poo hits them in the face in poo poo-tier beer league.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks to rad dude calandryll I have new skates today :swoon:

Bauer S170 model and they fit great and I've already got my stick taped up and my new gloves and I'm ready to skate fast and stop eventually! Thanks, rad dude calandryll!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

It's a goon hockey miracle! Sorry I've been drinking, I need moar hockey.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm glad they fit. They had been sitting in my basement for about 2 years. Glad to send them along. They treated me well when I had them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Anybody try one of these hybrid cages? I miss my old fishbowl but I don't miss the fogging and being hot.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
100% guarantee it will still fog.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guy on my team uses one (from bauer, basically the same though) and I asked him about it tonight, he said he's had it for about a year and loves it. No real issues with fogging up but that could be because he plays defense and they never work hard. :v:

I'm thinking I'll try it out next time I'm buying helmet stuff, which could be years away but whatever, it's on the list.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Never understood those. Same cage crap at the bottom which affects puck in feet and peripheral vision. Also hard to drink beer with.

Out of all the reasons I choose to wear a visor half the time, bars in the middle of my eyes is about the least important.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
The new fishbowl from CCM's supposed to be really good, I'm hesitant to try it for now though.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Had a game last night where we had 7 guys to their 16. We had the lead for a good chunk of the game and then the "coach" benched the true C Leaguers to put out the good line to get more goals. The "coach" typically posts poo poo on Facebook about how hard fought the game was, etc. I'm hoping he posts something so I can be like lol you had 16 dudes to our 7.

I took a nasty slash to the arm between my elbow pad and glove. I've been meaning to get some new elbow pads since the strap is getting super stretchy. Any suggestions? I'm rocking some Rebook 12Ks if I remember correctly.

KING OV HELL
Apr 2, 2014
Been skating a bunch recently and I finally have the money to drop on equipment! Any suggestions for stuff I should avoid, or a level of gear I should shoot for? I have access to a few used stores, and got some ccm 9060s for 150 brand new, and some Bauer gloves. I checked the guide in the OP but that seems a bit dated. Also I heard from an unreliable source that spring is a good time for deals when old inventory is on the way out?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KING OV HELL posted:

Been skating a bunch recently and I finally have the money to drop on equipment! Any suggestions for stuff I should avoid, or a level of gear I should shoot for? I have access to a few used stores, and got some ccm 9060s for 150 brand new, and some Bauer gloves. I checked the guide in the OP but that seems a bit dated. Also I heard from an unreliable source that spring is a good time for deals when old inventory is on the way out?

Buy whatever gear fits you the best. When I was just starting out, I went to the local hockey shop and told the salesman I was brand new and needed gear. Since I wasn't sure if hockey was something I'd keep up with, I first tried on the cheapest gear they had. If anything didn't fit right or felt like it was shoddy quality, I went up one level in price. In total I think I dropped about $500. Eventually, the gear will need to be replaced as it wears down and by that point you'll have a better idea of what you like, and you can replace it piecemeal. After 3 years, I've needed to replace my skates, pants, gloves, and shoulders, but my cheapo helmet, shinguards, and elbow pads are still going strong.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Spend on nice pants with good padding on the tailbone. Same goes for shin guards, look for coverage to go mostly if not fully around the calf. Try shinguards on with your skates on. Shoulder pads can be less protective in my opinion as you're not playing check hockey. I usually buy the cheapest lightest ones Bauer makes. Elbow pads are whatever fits best. Usually the more expensive you go the more protective the gear gets but it can also feel bully. There's a certain level of protection that's just excessive in non checking beer league. Try stuff on and get a sense of mobility with each item. Some elbow pads feel like I can't straighten my arm. Others don't have great protection and you'll end up with bursitis which isn't fun.

Try everything on. But what fits and feels good.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

whatever’s on clearance in your size

to quote my father when I started playing “you’re not good enough to be picky”

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Guys I did like five crossovers in both directions today without falling at stick and puck and I got props from the actual good players I see every week and never talk to :kiddo:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

a mysterious cloak posted:

Anybody try one of these hybrid cages? I miss my old fishbowl but I don't miss the fogging and being hot.

If it's anything like the last hybrid I bought it'll be fine for the first few weeks and then it'll start fogging all the time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, I didn't figure it would be a magic solution. Not worth $99 when the cage keeps me cool and works fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're having problems with stuff fogging up, try backchecking maybe?? If you keep moving that doesn't happen.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
first of all, ew. second of all, it always fogged up on the bench for me. the other problem i had with the fishbowl is it muffled my voice so no one could hear my hilarious quips on the bench.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Scored two goals the other night in a come from behind victory. At one point we were down 4-2. I scored our first and last goale.

First one was skating up the right boards, got in near the faceoff circle and shot a really tight angle which tucked just inside the armpit of the goalie on the short side. The second was a pass from my winger in the corner as I skated up the empty slot. I had to get low for the angle on the shot, one-timed it but it was going wide of the top corner by a foot. It hit their defenseman in the shoulder who was standing near the goal, and ricocheted in the net.

Felt reaaaaal good.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I tried a bubble for a few games and besides the fogging, it made everything I said very loud for me, and it turns out when you can really hear how hard you’re breathing, your brain tells you that you’re a tired a lot quicker.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
out of nowhere last night this dude shows up to play with us who played in the NHL back in the early 90s...complete with his bauer custom 3000s and a wood stick with friction tape. all i know about him is his name was "ron" and he was canadian which really narrows it down

he actually struggled a bit but it was still loving cool. we also got thrashed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

complete with his bauer custom 3000s and a wood stick with friction tape.

king poo poo right here

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
We had someone from our team drop out last minute yesterday, turns out his wife had a baby. We were discussing everyone chipping in to get him some sort of gift, and my favorite idea by far was a onesie for the kid that says “Daddy Doesn’t Backcheck”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's funny. I'd put it on one of my babies.