Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Sheesh. I always knew that Nerendra Modi's party was fascist in practice, but I didn't realize they were directly inspired by the nazis. Seems like every time you turn over a stone, it's just more and more nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey Robert since you read this thread sometimes I would love to ask you and Cody and Katy how you all feel about starting a podcast called “Worst Year Ever” and then extinction level events occurring!

I’m just asking because Cody is has always sort of employed this incredible energy in his performance and readings because of clearly pent up rage and frustration. He’s always seemed like a drat about to burst, that’s part of his newsman ruffled collar charm, but he really lets the mask off in the last episode of Even More News and just openly weeps. I certainly wasn’t ready for it but it was a powerful island of humanity in this isolated time. The humor in your shows is very strong and almost never coming from a very “feelsy” kind of place but after listening to you all for years it was crazy how strong my response was, because you guys are my friends hanging out with me in my car all day, every day, while I’m at work.

I see now that as entertainers and educators and community leaders, the three of you called this shot from a long way off and now you’re all trying like hell to keep the ship from sinking and the content you folks put out is very valuable to me. Please stay safe and sane as best you can.

masterclass simping

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We need more 40K lore dumps in these dark times.

Tell me more about the Fabricator-General and the Machine-Priests of Mars.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I honestly thought that the latest WYE episode with Mark Cuban was going to be an April Fools' joke.

It was an interesting interview, although hearing Cuban constantly say "America 2.0" got old real quick!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am so diametrically opposed to Mark Cuban I instantly deleted the episode from my phone, there’s enough content out here already and Cuban is definitely more a part of the problem than the solution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

honestly this.

robert please do a 2 parter on 40k just because we need levity. you can just read off the wikis if you want.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 4, 2020

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

MonsieurChoc posted:

:yeah:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tell us the fantasy of competent leadership.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I just joined an online game of Dark Heresy 2E, the roleplayigng ame where you play as the goons of an Inquisitor going around hunting down heretics and cults. I'm playing a Mechanicus Detective. This lore is now important to me.

Yes I am being selfish and dumb.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just joined an online game of Dark Heresy 2E, the roleplayigng ame where you play as the goons of an Inquisitor going around hunting down heretics and cults. I'm playing a Mechanicus Detective. This lore is now important to me.

Yes I am being selfish and dumb.

your fine. 40k lore is loving great and fun, espically the weird side stuff like the severan dominate. https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Severan_Dominate

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
So funny, personally I just started playing Vermintine II at the request of a friend for online co-op and, coupled with our newfound situation, I’ve never been more ready to take that dive with Robert if he so chooses :pray:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

timp posted:

So funny, personally I just started playing Vermintine II at the request of a friend for online co-op and, coupled with our newfound situation, I’ve never been more ready to take that dive with Robert if he so chooses :pray:

thats fantasy. 40k is different. though i like fantasy alot too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats fantasy. 40k is different. though i like fantasy alot too.

Oh man I love Fantasy. I've got a bunch of WFRP books and the Geneviève novels.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Been making my through the last several episodes and just wanted to point out something that was driving me nuts but I'm sure no one else cares about. That Soldier of Fortune article from 2012 that was quoted is (shockingly) wrong when it says Ian Smith was the Governor of Rhodesia. He was actually the Prime Minister, and the actual Governor (appointed by the British) tried to dissolve Smith's government, and Smith basically put him under house arrest for the next four years until the governor finally decided to give up the ghost and go back to Britain. Which is important because the governor being put under house arrest and flying the Union Jack from the high commission was a sign that Smith's claim to be pro-UK monarchy but anti-UK government was a big lie.

My dissertation was on Zimbabwean history which is the only reason I feel compelled to point this out.

If anyone is interested, two good books on Soldier of Fortune and the American right in general's involvement in Rhodesia are Gerald Horne's "From the Barrel of a Gun: The United States and the War against Zimbabwe, 1965-1980" and Kyle Burke's "Revolutionaries for the Right: Anticommunist Internationalism and Paramilitary Warfare in the Cold War."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh man I love Fantasy. I've got a bunch of WFRP books and the Geneviève novels.

Kim Newman is a really good author. He's like the personification of 1970s British genre TV. Which is a know is an odd niche but his work gets that tone perfectly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i have absolutely no idea why i never realized this subforum is where podcast discussion happens

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i have absolutely no idea why i never realized this subforum is where podcast discussion happens

It’s not exactly obvious from the name

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I'd love to talk more about Hams, but I've got no idea how to do it as an organized show. I feel like it'd wind up requiring as much research as the regular work and I'd have real trouble writing 10 pages about the Tyrant of Badab while Steven Miller is right there

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'd love to talk more about Hams, but I've got no idea how to do it as an organized show. I feel like it'd wind up requiring as much research as the regular work and I'd have real trouble writing 10 pages about the Tyrant of Badab while Steven Miller is right there

I know I for one would listen to you get drunk and high and ramble about whatever the gently caress you want for an hour or two without structure

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

My dissertation was on Zimbabwean history which is the only reason I feel compelled to point this out.

If anyone is interested, two good books on Soldier of Fortune and the American right in general's involvement in Rhodesia are Gerald Horne's "From the Barrel of a Gun: The United States and the War against Zimbabwe, 1965-1980" and Kyle Burke's "Revolutionaries for the Right: Anticommunist Internationalism and Paramilitary Warfare in the Cold War."

Thanks for the recommendations! I just bought the Burke one and will pick up the Horne book when I'm done with that. Partly due to listening to the podcast, I've been reading about international volunteers in recent conflicts lately. This is more relevant to Robert's Syria podcast, since it's about a non-bastard, but there's a pretty good memoir called Desert Sniper written by a British guy who went to fight ISIS with the Kurds in Syria.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

It's fine. We're just having fun talking about that cool stream you did. :)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

maybe wait. if biden pulls off a win. maybe do its as a "gently caress it, we are somewhat less hosed" episode.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

man, reporting on Biden as a candidate is gonna make Twitter hell for a while

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

man, reporting on Biden as a candidate is gonna make Twitter hell for a while

The moment I read that Bernie dropped out, even though I’m ambivalent at best towards him, I immediately had the urge to slowly stick my face in my food processor.

I don’t envy you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I would like/probably hate to hear why he delivered a eulogy at Strom Thurmond's funeral.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Robert’s thoughts on the matter from WYE this week really mirror my own.

I’m just not voting for Biden, which means I’m probably just skipping my first election in like 12 years.

I just won’t vote for anyone with allegations like Reade’s against them. That’s a morality barrier I can’t cross.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Samovar posted:

I would like/probably hate to hear why he delivered a eulogy at Strom Thurmond's funeral.

I mean... you probably already know why, in your heart.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
President Simpson’s character that comes to mind, VP Harris Glen “Divine” Milstead, well, what remains of him.

it’s important to me that I vote, not necessarily for a corporeal form.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ben Shapiro's terrible book episode reminded me a lot of John Ringo's book Centurion. Which had a hard boiled military man stranded in Iran having been abandoned by president "Not Hilary" who was strung out on opiods while everyone died of superflu, before being couped by not Mattis.

Also the Muslim brotherhood turned detroit into a sex Caliphate.

Actually a good "lighter" show would be to do a dive into these fascist Baen Mil-Scifi guys like Ringo and Kratman. The latter would go on forums and fight with posters about his books when people called him out on being a racist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I will never get tired of people dunking on Shen Bapiro.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Finding the full context of the salon.com quote was brilliant.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will never get tired of people dunking on Shen Bapiro.

kind of hard not to

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

kind of hard not to

For more dunking on True Allegiance, there's the Chapo crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FLVnzMBIY

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ben Shapiro is one of my favorite subset of CHUDS, the seminal “virgin until married” who insists on giving relationship and courtship advice, as though your parents didn’t basically offer your wife’s family a dowry to take their smol boi off their hands.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Jack2142 posted:

Ben Shapiro's terrible book episode reminded me a lot of John Ringo's book Centurion. Which had a hard boiled military man stranded in Iran having been abandoned by president "Not Hilary" who was strung out on opiods while everyone died of superflu, before being couped by not Mattis.

Also the Muslim brotherhood turned detroit into a sex Caliphate.

Actually a good "lighter" show would be to do a dive into these fascist Baen Mil-Scifi guys like Ringo and Kratman. The latter would go on forums and fight with posters about his books when people called him out on being a racist.

The podcast I Don't Even Own a Television occasionally delves into really bad right wing fanfiction that somehow got published. Notable highlights: Rush Limbaugh's attempt to write a children's book featuring himself as a beloved history teacher/time traveler with a magic horse, Bill O'Reilly's detective novel about Good Bill O'Reilly, a cop, attempting to stop Bad Bill O'Reilly, a serial killer who kills thinly veiled versions of people Bill O'Reilly dislikes, and a retired football player's self-insert action novel about a football player who becomes a terrorist-fighting GI Joe (Monday Night Jihad).

Grenrow fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 13, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember it came out that Mel Gibson at one point wanted to make a movie adaptation of O'Reilly's novel and even got the rights for a time. That seems like a match made in heaven.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also isn’t Mara Wilson Shapiros cousin? Jeez imagine the family reunions

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

teen witch posted:

Also isn’t Mara Wilson Shapiros cousin? Jeez imagine the family reunions

Yup. If her Twitter is any indication, she refuses to have anything to do with him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From comments both of them have made, he doesn't seem to be widely liked in the family. I know at one point one of his aunts was making fun of him on Twitter and he blocked her.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Chairman Capone posted:

From comments both of them have made, he doesn't seem to be widely liked in the family. I know at one point one of his aunts was making fun of him on Twitter and he blocked her.

He certainly is a right tit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

i can believe it. the dudes a smug dick and is narcissistic useful idiot bigot.