Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Alright I'm just pussyfooting around it without directly saying it I think Liger is scummy. Scientastic's original point on him being elsewhere was nothing but Liger's response to it was super suspicious. Immediately returned, making excuses, but what really did it was digging into Scientastic's profile (why?) while also trying to dismiss suspicion with a troll "lol" post, his only direct interaction with Scientastic. His dismissive attitude does not mesh with someone who is digging into the person's profile.

Going to provide the dreaded 3rd vote. ##vote Liger

Wait isn't this the second vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Hmm.

Don’t like the dismissiveness from Liger, hypocrite as I am.

Kash vote is serious now (and already was, to a lesser extent fueled by metagaming belief that excusing your lack of posting, now or in the future, often stems from hyperawareness of your posting amounts.)

I can see an argument of “faking a case/suspicion for early town vibes”, but riding out momentum is a very strong accusation to make about such a weak case (both sci’s and kash’s, even.)

Or in short: It looks to me like Kash pounced hard on something that didn’t earn said response.

EccoRaven posted:

I'm a replacement

Liar

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OFFICER LIGER posted:

who did i white knight???

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Scientastic posted:

Jose Valasquez posted:

I am happy with my merk vote for now though, he must pay for the crimes of the past.

Punishing people for crimes is extremely dementor

##Vote Jose

arent dementors more tools that punish, rather than the decision makers to punish? it's very ministry if anything.

Phone posting, so don’t know if this has worked, but here is Liger’s weird post where he sort of defended Jose without actually defending him

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Pussy Quipped posted:

Wait did I really

I checked votefinder and I wasn't in any games in July 2011. So...I fell for it.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

merk was second.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
also tbh i have never seen capn andy gambit actually followed and i still support the lynching of lurkers on principle

it does require the scum to be kind of sporting as well though which like, you cant count on, so instead we should just encourage the general murder of lurkers all around

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Mikujin posted:

I want to vote you for bringing up HoN at all but

I'd rather vote anyone who says "fake news" ever
##vote xopods

let me sell you my most powerful potions, good hero

no you cannot have these potions

but i must have them so i can SOLO MID

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

anyways much as I want to jokephase forever it seems some people are trying to kill that

that makes me much sad

but you can rest assured that i intend to remain whimsical as long as possible

scientastic does not read as scummy, but as overeager town with flimsy reads at best, which is how my ancient memory says fits scientastic, so you know, same old same old

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dexanth posted:

also tbh i have never seen capn andy gambit actually followed
I mean... I know of at least one time it happened!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

I checked votefinder and I wasn't in any games in July 2011. So...I fell for it.

lol owned idiot

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I mean... I know of at least one time it happened!

you actually pulled it off once?

yaaaaaaaayyy

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

anyways, i am hungry and since i do not have any good bread it is time for some donuts

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dexanth posted:

you actually pulled it off once?

yaaaaaaaayyy
Literally how do you think it got named after me?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

you kept pushing for it in game after game hoping it would catch on but it never did

but the hope remains alive

is how i thought it went

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is the capn andy gambit

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Jen X posted:

Hmm.

Don’t like the dismissiveness from Liger, hypocrite as I am.

Kash vote is serious now (and already was, to a lesser extent fueled by metagaming belief that excusing your lack of posting, now or in the future, often stems from hyperawareness of your posting amounts.)

I can see an argument of “faking a case/suspicion for early town vibes”, but riding out momentum is a very strong accusation to make about such a weak case (both sci’s and kash’s, even.)

Or in short: It looks to me like Kash pounced hard on something that didn’t earn said response.

Liar

Your first reason for voting me was terrible. I expected to not be around much of today and I wanted to preempt a lurker callout as I see those happen within the first 24 hours of a game significantly more than I used to and really don't want to get bogged down in that.

Your reason for solidifying your vote arguable makes less sense since trying to earn town cred for weak cases (which you admit Sci's is) is what scum does.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I have been playing mafia here for five years and have never heard of the CapnAndy gambit, sorry :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna go play overwatch

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.samafia.net/wiki/CapnAndy_Gambit

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I have been playing mafia here for five years and have never heard of the CapnAndy gambit, sorry :(

frame this post we have best post in this thread here on page 4

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

wait gently caress its page 9 for me

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

Your first reason for voting me was terrible. I expected to not be around much of today and I wanted to preempt a lurker callout as I see those happen within the first 24 hours of a game significantly more than I used to and really don't want to get bogged down in that.

Your reason for solidifying your vote arguable makes less sense since trying to earn town cred for weak cases (which you admit Sci's is) is what scum does.

Your wording was stronger than the case demanded; don’t incorrectly note why I’m suspicious of you, thanks. I’m not denying your case, I’m suspecting your proposed reasoning for sci’s actions.

As for the first thing: sorry that I believe scum focus more on their posts and their presences than town do, I guess? Not certain why your desire to pre-empt lurker callouts is a counterpoint to that.

Besides, anyone doing lurker callouts d1 is dumb and deserves to be mocked, keane has hammered this point home quite well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kashuno posted:

I stopped playing five years ago. I remember there being the CapnAndy gambit being a thing

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This is a wine-inviting execution of occam’s razor, not a gambit!!!!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

OFFICER LIGER posted:

what is the capn andy gambit
So here's the story, though sadly time has dulled my memories of specifically what game and who was involved:

I got into a game late as a replacement, and the town was in LYLO. After reading over the game so far, I noticed that posting quality had sharply dropped off with every passing day, and especially in the lategame, the town had largely fallen silent. It was obvious that the scum had absolutely dominated.

What was weird, though, was that there was one very good player still alive. (Like I said, I can't remember any more, but I think it was maybe KK?) This was someone I couldn't believe was okay with the state of the town; he should have been raging at the silence and attempting to pick up the conversation and carry it himself if need be. Instead, he was apparently okay with the state of affairs, and since the state of affairs heavily favored scum, well then. So I voted him, making the case that his very survival was suspicious; the scum will naturally pick off all the good players as time goes on, since they want an incapable town. They'd gotten everyone else, but not the one who was obviously the best player remaining in the game by no small margin. Therefore: scum. My argument was persuasive, we lynched him, he was scum, and the town won.

And thus, the CapnAndy gambit: If the town is losing, lynch the best player.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

kingcobweb posted:

Nope 3rd

But yeah lynch all lurkers lynch all liars. Always Be Lynching.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jen X posted:

Your wording was stronger than the case demanded; don’t incorrectly note why I’m suspicious of you, thanks. I’m not denying your case, I’m suspecting your proposed reasoning for sci’s actions.

As for the first thing: sorry that I believe scum focus more on their posts and their presences than town do, I guess? Not certain why your desire to pre-empt lurker callouts is a counterpoint to that.

Besides, anyone doing lurker callouts d1 is dumb and deserves to be mocked, keane has hammered this point home quite well.

uhhh...okay then

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kashuno posted:

It's okay, it is of admittedly limited usefulness (you need a game you're gonna lose and a surviving good player or else it's worthless).

Also mills named it, if I remember correctly.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Goodnight Potterheads, don’t let anyone avada kedavra me while I sleep

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

So here's the story, though sadly time has dulled my memories of specifically what game and who was involved:

I got into a game late as a replacement, and the town was in LYLO. After reading over the game so far, I noticed that posting quality had sharply dropped off with every passing day, and especially in the lategame, the town had largely fallen silent. It was obvious that the scum had absolutely dominated.

What was weird, though, was that there was one very good player still alive. (Like I said, I can't remember any more, but I think it was maybe KK?) This was someone I couldn't believe was okay with the state of the town; he should have been raging at the silence and attempting to pick up the conversation and carry it himself if need be. Instead, he was apparently okay with the state of affairs, and since the state of affairs heavily favored scum, well then. So I voted him, making the case that his very survival was suspicious; the scum will naturally pick off all the good players as time goes on, since they want an incapable town. They'd gotten everyone else, but not the one who was obviously the best player remaining in the game by no small margin. Therefore: scum. My argument was persuasive, we lynched him, he was scum, and the town won.

And thus, the CapnAndy gambit: If the town is losing, lynch the best player.

wait gently caress my memory is awful i thought yours was about lynching lurkers

i mean the OG Andy is quality too, but I am all for lurker murder meta to keep the game fun just fling out them death hexes and whatever other types of murder or incapacitation or turning into a newt or whatever we probably have going on

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

It's okay, it is of admittedly limited usefulness (you need a game you're gonna lose and a surviving good player or else it's worthless).

Also mills named it, if I remember correctly.

ah it's cursed, got it

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Kashuno posted:

uhhh...okay then

Lol

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Dexanth posted:

wait gently caress my memory is awful i thought yours was about lynching lurkers

i mean the OG Andy is quality too, but I am all for lurker murder meta to keep the game fun just fling out them death hexes and whatever other types of murder or incapacitation or turning into a newt or whatever we probably have going on

https://www.samafia.net/wiki/Ecco_Gambit ?

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I'm a replacement

Literally the one thing I felt was missing and who's to say Ecco isn't actually a secret role right now

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Dexanth posted:

frame this post we have best post in this thread here on page 4

Dexanth posted:

wait gently caress its page 9 for me

Huh what is this?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Huh what is this?

What do you think it is?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I do want to say this about Liger: I think Scientastic's case was extremely weak, and the post that got called out was a pretty obvious joke that needed no defense, and that he has every right to be preoccupied with whatever else is going on in his life (and seriously, it's a bloodbath at the WWE today).

That said, his conduct since then has been extremely poor. I get not wanting to dignify a bad case with a response, but this level of dismissiveness is over the top. It's inauthentic and reads much more like someone who's genuinely pissed off and covering it by feigning an uncaring attitude. Which I can still understand -- Lord knows I've lost my temper when bad cases were made on me in the past -- but I like neither the attitude nor the dishonesty.

Liger, this isn't helpful behavior, man. Everyone gets cased eventually and if this'll happen again on Day 4 or something, I don't want you to have that opportunity. Right now your best case is "unhelpful townie" and that is not a terrible D1 lynch.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
My current take away is that Kash and Jen are not scum based on the actions of this day.

Also

##unvote

Glory to the death of joke phase.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

Huh what is this?

its called i tried to guess how many posts there had been and was off by half

so

its called

dexanth is kind of dumb sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

CapnAndy posted:

That said, his conduct since then has been extremely poor. I get not wanting to dignify a bad case with a response, but this level of dismissiveness is over the top. It's inauthentic and reads much more like someone who's genuinely pissed off and covering it by feigning an uncaring attitude. Which I can still understand -- Lord knows I've lost my temper when bad cases were made on me in the past -- but I like neither the attitude nor the dishonesty.

false IMO - if I got accused of "white knighting", among other things on Day 1, my immediate response would be to post something like "hmmm yes a compelling case but hast thou considered *farts wetly*"