Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Dragonrah posted:

Ok, so I’ve messed with mods years ago but never really did much with them. I would like to change that. The op seem completely outdated. Is there a post in this thread or some other resource that can show my what the best mods are to pretty the game up and add some new content? I know it’s subjective, but I’m not sure where to even start.

NVSE
Mod Configuration Menu
Yuki's Unofficial Patch (YUP)
Quick Loot
JSawyer Ultimate
Autumn Leaves
New Vegas Railroads

Be sure to use Mod Organizer 2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skwirl posted:

The Viva New Vegas mod guide works pretty good for graphics, they have new content and stuff too.

Petition to replace the badly outdated and now useless OP with this

https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Seconded.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that replaces the new vegas perimeter billboard wall with an actual, idk, concrete wall?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that replaces the new vegas perimeter billboard wall with an actual, idk, concrete wall?

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56373

FLVJOD - The Strip.

OR

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65665

Lightweight Strip Overhaul

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Thanks for this. That top is is pretty much exactly what I was looking for and more.

One more question: Is there a way to clean saves? I rejiggered my mod list and merged a bunch of stuff and fixed a slew of issues I was having, but it also meant my saved game is kinda borked. I have an issue with a script failing to fire off and missing meshes. I haven't actually removed any mods, things at most just got merged. Is there a way to fix this? I'd rather not start over right now.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Upmarket Mango posted:

Thanks for this. That top is is pretty much exactly what I was looking for and more.

One more question: Is there a way to clean saves? I rejiggered my mod list and merged a bunch of stuff and fixed a slew of issues I was having, but it also meant my saved game is kinda borked. I have an issue with a script failing to fire off and missing meshes. I haven't actually removed any mods, things at most just got merged. Is there a way to fix this? I'd rather not start over right now.

The only safe way to do it is to load a save before whatever mod that's causing the problem was installed. You may not be totally screwed, though. Which mods were removed merged?

E: Also, just as an FYI, Wrye Flash can show you every mod a given save had loaded

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 12, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I may as well start a new OP so we have one that's fresher than five years ago. Any information that should go in besides the above content about where to get the good mods? We should also include some "best of" from this thread.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think the OP has a good list of stuff that holds up, I'll have to think about what sticks around the most for me. Haven't played in a bit.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Maybe put the Viva new Vegas link in the new op, though they include some stuff I didn't bother with, and didn't include a few things I use

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's worth putting in the OP, but maybe with the disclaimer that it includes a whole bunch of dumb unnecessary bullshit.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

The only safe way to do it is to load a save before whatever mod that's causing the problem was installed. You may not be totally screwed, though. Which mods were removed merged?

E: Also, just as an FYI, Wrye Flash can show you every mod a given save had loaded

I removed the one offending mod that was having trouble with its scripts and everything else seems to be working just find except for some leftover missing meshes from a mod I removed that had added a diner. Not a huge issue I guess I can go through and manually disable the leftovers.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ci3sNT0wcrbjETw4sM7JqlK-zmcjoLqJFSjqhmTjk_0/htmlview

rikas guide is also very lightweight and good, but assumes at least a passing familiarity with how to mod

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Sorry for asking about this now when there's a new thread on the way, but I'm following the Viva New Vegas guide, and I'm wondering when/if I should run the BSA Decompressor, or if I also need to download the OGG libraries. The Viva New Vegas guide says use one or the other, but this guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cypqage_Pdk) say to install the OGG libraries, then run the BSA Decomp at the end.

EDIT: I'm also looking at the Rika's guide posted above, which lists both.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 16, 2020

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Titans of the New West

New script-based Power Armor adjustment that makes PA have the same proportions as it did in the older games, and also doesn't give you a huge head/weapon like PA Scaling does. Looks awesome, though it's new and not compatible with Ragdolls (yet - looks pretty popular already so hopefully somebody'll throw together a patch at some point).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Oooh that's rad, definitely gonna have to use that in my next playthrough.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The literal one feature I'd love to have from Fallout 4 would be similar power armor... Looks like it gets some of the way there. Might have to play around with powered power armor too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know gunetwork isn't very friendly to people just wanting mods without strings attached but Dragbody's fallout 4 power armor ports for new Vegas look fantastic and I really can't go back to playing without them.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Ill never understand the love for what fallout 4 did to power armor

that titans thing looks cool tho

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't enjoy the "wear it like a vehicle" aspect but the design of the armor looks great. The T-60 is literally just the T-45 with more bits welded to it to let the military claim it's a brand new suit.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Up until FO4 power armour was just another piece of clothing you put on. Which was kind of dumb if you look at what power armour is supposed to be.
I like that in FO4 power armour more then that. It's something you step into like a tank and the animation & sound design makes you feel like like you're inside a huge stompy robot. It was pretty neat. :shrug:

It was stupid that they handed you power armour during the tutorial, which made a lot less special. But walking around in power armour was cool.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

In 3 and NV power armor is just regular armor with some stat boosts. There's no difference in how your character moves or interacts with the world other than having slightly louder footsteps.

4 made it so the power part of power armor actually matters and made it feel distinct. The customization was cool too.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm sure SpookyLizard is aware of the difference and just doesn't like them, that's fine. Not *absolutely* everybody has to like Fallout 4-style PAs. Personally, I'm into the tank aspect but the whole granular customization bit and having to get fusion cores was a bridge too far for me, which was kind of my opinion of a lot of Fallout 4 mechanics that ended up feeling just too fiddly.

That said, it's probably justified, as Bethesda wanted mechanics that they can keep plugging into modularly throughout the game's length and with the Creation Club.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
uh guys in fallout and fallout 2 power armor was just really good armor.

also the t60 looked dumb imo. im waiting for the next generation of super new power armor that was also made before the war to come out in the next one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not a big fan of T60, which makes sense, given the redesign was literally just meant to be T45 in Fallout 4 until they decided for some reason to keep the original t45 design and just kept it as its own design. It's a really boring "iconic design" for the new game, where previously each game's power armor design felt very distinct, although I do think Fallout 4's version of the Enclave Power armor looks really good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lots of people wanted vehicles in Fallout games but the level design would have had to change a whole lot, so they split the difference. Aside from power cores adding to the chore of weight management, it turned out pretty good and helps add to the feel of it being a special thing in the early going.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

uh guys in fallout and fallout 2 power armor was just really good armor.

If Chris Taylor, Tim Cain and the other fellas at Interplay had the technology in 1997 to make power armour something actually cool and distinct from regular armour, they would have done it.:colbert:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Raygereio posted:

Up until FO4 power armour was just another piece of clothing you put on. Which was kind of dumb if you look at what power armour is supposed to be.
I like that in FO4 power armour more then that. It's something you step into like a tank and the animation & sound design makes you feel like like you're inside a huge stompy robot. It was pretty neat. :shrug:

It was stupid that they handed you power armour during the tutorial, which made a lot less special. But walking around in power armour was cool.

I really love how FO4 handled power armor as well, especially when I have the option of Frankensteining one from misc parts or painting it like a hot rod (The Atom Cats are the best).

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SpookyLizard posted:

that titans thing looks cool tho

Is there a reason or are you just against change in general? It's one of the only things Bethesda has done right in a while.

Personally I just don't like how virtually every group in the Wasteland with more than a dozen people not only has a functioning suit, but they also know how to use it. I remember power armor being something that required very specialized training to use, and you had to finish a difficult quest to get that training. I even remember seeing the main character wearing power armor in the opening cutscene and thinking "So I guess the main character was a soldier before the war, that explains how he knows how to use it!" but then so does the wife character and literally everyone else in the entire wasteland.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
That bothered me too but honestly given the surplus of how many exist in the region i dont find it too hard to believe that people just sort of figured out how to use it by trial and error, or like some brotherhood/enclave outcasts just joining with raiders and teaching them how to use a bunch of advanced stuff (which has precedent for happening several times) or during one of the brotherhoods many failed attempts to integrate their technology into the wasteland.

It would have been an interesting thing to see them delve into why its the case but iirc its just kinda left unexplained.

Characters (including the male protagonist, since not all soldiers were trained in it and its more like the equivalent of a tank operator) requiring a feat to use it would have been more believable but i'm sure its probably better for retention rate and whatnot to have one of the first missions have you get into one and feel like a badass, even though i'm old and like things like that to take a bit in rpgs and feel earned.

Mechanically power armor was really neat though imo :)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Power armor training wasn't really a thing in the first two games and was only a thing in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so in some ways, that's a return to the way it worked in the originals.

That said, the existence of poo poo like Raider Power Armors, kind of cheapens the way they work. That's the thing with Power Armors not being the high-end and instead just being a separate kind of item that has tiers: it doesn't feel as special anymore, because you have to cover a whole range of factions, from lovely ranger, to the high-level people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could say the same about scaling for most equipment in Fallout 4. lovely raider power armors cheapen the experience almost as much as the five billion identical pipe weapons.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The worst thing that happened with power armor in post-FO4 is that the entire game feels based around eventually using power armor and then attaching additional constraints and ticky tack bullshit to using it, like replacing the plating section by section and suddenly you need a power armor garage and to collect batteries and ohmygod I don't care. It's there at this point because they identified power armor as a Fallout brand thing and lumped in with constantly using more nukes in an already-irradiated, nearly uninhabited nuclear wasteland. Just brainless.

Like it's cool that wearing power armor feels different but that's about where the cool part stops.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I just like stomping around in giant gently caress off armor. The fusion core mechanics do suck, but I liked how the HUD changed and the character felt really tanky.

But agreed the commonality of the armor sucks in the Bethesda games.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Like mentioned with the others, stompy robot suit concept is great but the whole fusion cores/raiders jury rigging them/awkward over the top need to mod every bit and their latest new entry in the power armor canon do all grate on me too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah i never touched the power armor in 4 except for the sections where it was forced on you, i don’t really see why power armor just being really good endgame armor is a problem that needs fixing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

that said if you liked how it works in 4 and want to mod that into your game to get an experience that’s more enjoyable to you it doesn’t bother me in the slightest

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I thought the vehicular nature of power armour in fallout 4 was one of the (few) things they did right.

And then, yeah, they give it to you in the first battle and make you fight a deathclaw and blaaaa

But! It actually had potential; there's at least one mod that significantly cuts down on the number of exo-skeletons available, and replaces them with like... a single part, maybe. I also liked that they felt so oppressive to wear, so I genuinely didn't want to, and it made me go back to wearing other gear

And finally, shooting out the power cores and stealing armor from hostiles was fantastically good fun

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

And just like that I've reinstalled FO4. Vegas will always be my bae though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone happen to have a copy of the simple street lights NMC patch they could share? The TTW 2.x post it was on is hidden on their forums for some reason.