Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Really want to see a take on the Hussar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The new Sentinel's looking a whole hell of a lot better than the old one.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 13, 2020

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Where are these coming from?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Kickstarter updates.

The new Black Knight is an interesting cross between the Dark Age Chunky Linebacker and the PGI SlenderKnight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I like the head and arms a lot. I don't like that they mixed Succession Wars-style block armor for the torso and SLDF-style rounded around for the legs, though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's emulating some of the shapes from the Mechwarrior 4 Black Knight, but slimming them down a bit. We'll see what the final model looks like, but I have a feeling those shapes are more rounded than the flat shading suggests.

Edit: It really does seem like they're trying to find a middle ground between every version of the Black Knight.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
drat those battlemech illustrations are real dang good.
I think I like them better than the PGI anglefest that they went with.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I don't like the new Jenner. Thighs are too thiiic.

The rest are sweet tho

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 13, 2020

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Panther is fantastic

Pussy Cartel posted:

The new Sentry's looking a whole hell of a lot better than the old one.

The old model was so bad I would reroll any time it came up in a unit list.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's a miniature of the Panther floating around on Facebook. It's good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any online stores (etsy, ebay, other places) selling custom Battletech maps?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
This guy does some nice maps in a variety of sizes:

https://mapmasterbattlemaps.com/

I have one and I quite enjoy it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
into the new, chunkier axman

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Question for people who get Jumpship lore/rules/etc- what is fuel used for when it comes to jumpships? I see in the write-up for a jumpship like the magellan (https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Magellan) it boasts enough fuel for 600 days, but I was under the impression that jumpships mostly just stay at jump-points, maybe needing enough fuel for station-keeping and minor moves to actual stations, and the jump engines were either completely charged off solar sails or lithium batteries?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gotta keep the reactor running, otherwise there's nothing to run the life support, computers to calculate the next jump or the big comm centers that military ships use.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Fuel is also used for station-keeping drives, and can be used for the main drives as well if the jumpship needs to move in realspace.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Jumpship drives are really low powered so any relocation will take quite a while. Like ~.1G

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah they get towed if they need to move places, the engine is just to keep it from falling into the star while it sits at a jump point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a Battletech player, what is the most terrifying enemy you could possibly encounter? Battlemech sized Xenomorphs? Clanners with a death wish? After the quarantine lifts, I'm looking to see how I can raise the stakes for my campaign group.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oh that's easy, realistically operating space ships.

e: To be clear, the entire setting is predicated on the vast majority of craft being glorified trucks moving your awesome metal knights from system to system. And yeah sure maybe there are weapons on them but we won't think about that too much. The reality is that the weapons on any given heavily armed ship, taken seriously, are enough to flatten anything not super hardened on a planet. And that very much includes the mechs on it. And there's nothing those mechs could do about it.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 25, 2020

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A mandatory urban area with properly entrenched and hidden conventional infantry.

It's like Minesweeper, but instead of a mine you get shot in the rear end by thirty flamers. And it takes forever to kill them, since a) they're in a Heavy building and b) nobody brings anti-infantry weapons. And sometimes they have field guns, so you've got an AC10 that can take 200+ damage and keep firing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mulva posted:

Oh that's easy, realistically operating space ships.

e: To be clear, the entire setting is predicated on the vast majority of craft being glorified trucks moving your awesome metal knights from system to system. And yeah sure maybe there are weapons on them but we won't think about that too much. The reality is that the weapons on any given heavily armed ship, taken seriously, are enough to flatten anything not super hardened on a planet. And that very much includes the mechs on it. And there's nothing those mechs could do about it.

This is the reason Catalyst went to some pains to blow up as many WarShips as possible during the Jihad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Warships were cool in the task force serpent books but that's about it

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

General Battuta posted:

This is the reason Catalyst went to some pains to blow up as many WarShips as possible during the Jihad.

There were much better solutions but it left space as a place for people who liked them to play, and they decided that wasn't okay. There was definite antipathy involved, it was not a dispassionate call.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember a distinct amount of antipathy on the part of some devs toward both warships and augmentations, and both got axed to varying degrees by the Jihad.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Defiance Industries posted:

There were much better solutions but it left space as a place for people who liked them to play, and they decided that wasn't okay. There was definite antipathy involved, it was not a dispassionate call.

Frustrating that this is the one thing they decided to break from their philosophy that new things pile up in the Battletech universe (wtf is a WIGE? And a QuadVee?) while old things never disappear.

I thought WarShips were cool. I never actually played with them, and it sounds like their game balance was all kinds of messed up, but they made sense as a part of the universe.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Carbolic posted:

Frustrating that this is the one thing they decided to break from their philosophy that new things pile up in the Battletech universe (wtf is a WIGE? And a QuadVee?) while old things never disappear.

I thought WarShips were cool. I never actually played with them, and it sounds like their game balance was all kinds of messed up, but they made sense as a part of the universe.

They made sense when they were so rare as to be basically non-existent. IIRC the clans showing up with a bunch of no bullshit warships was a big part of the 3050 pucker factor. It also made a lot of sense for explaining why combat in the BT universe worked the way it did. THere's no reason to bother with mechs if you can just park a warship in orbit and pound on the planet.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I have always been frustrated by the answer to that being "remove WarShips" and not "change the rules to make that risky and difficult".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
No one played BattleSpace because even for BattleTech it was an unfun chore, and there were other considerations at the time (wizkids wanting more of that sweet Mage Knight money) that meant the chances of getting new rules for the space warfare side of things were slim to none. They went away during the Jihad because it was one less thing for the line developers to worry about while developing clickytech.

I expect WarShips will get revisited in 3150, especially now that games like Alpha Strike and the new MW:Destiny rules have shown the line developers have an interest in streamlining the game. You can actually play WarShips pretty easily with the Alpha Strike rules as-is, they just don't have official stats.

About the only change I'd make to Alpha Strike to accommodate WarShips would be to give everything two damage values: one for anti-ship attacks and one for anti-fighter point defense, and then make sure the bigger the ship the worse it is at killing fighters to encourage bringing a mix. Make hex play the standard rather than an optional rule, and most everything else is fine as-is with a little re-skinning. Trees become gas clouds. Rough terrain becomes asteroid swarms. Water becomes gravity wells (with no MP cost to enter, but big costs to leave). Etc, etc.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

I have always been frustrated by the answer to that being "remove WarShips" and not "change the rules to make that risky and difficult".

Exactly. I thought of this in ten seconds: after the Jihad, all planets of any significant value have capital missile silos, and if they move into range for an orbital strike they probably eat a nuclear missile because they are too big to avoid it. DropShips and fighters are nimble enough to avoid them, so fleets fight over jump points and then you land troops to take control of a planet. It's the easiest "big problem" to solve I can imagine.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Quite a number of the warships still in the Inner Sphere after the SLDF left had sudden dates with nuclear warheads.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

PoptartsNinja posted:

No one played BattleSpace because even for BattleTech it was an unfun chore,

I’ve still got a boxed set of it on my shelf. Pretty sure it got played twice, 25 years ago.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I wasn't much into BattleSpace but I do like AT2

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
So, they announced what's coming soon.. and uh.. is this CGL? Are we sure they haven't been replaced with.. I dunno, more people to write all this stuff that's coming out?

https://bg.battletech.com/news/battletech-state-of-the-game-june-2020/

June
Turning Point: Tyrfing (a five way battle for SLDF treasure during the first succession war)

Battletech Recognition Guide: ilClan (22 volumes. Released every two weeks until august, and then picking up again in late august). each installment will have a new omnimech/battlemech, as well as classic designs updated with post-3085 tech. A lot of this will be compiled into a print project afterwards. Also miniatures will be coming from Iron Wind to support the new mechs

Grey Watch Covenant: Set in dark ages, on Northwind (fiction)

Rogue Academy: Book two of the Young Adult series (fiction)

Rock of the Republic: Another Pardoe novella, bringing the timeline forward dealing with the Republic Remmnant outside the Fortress now that the Fortress is down. (Fiction)

Icons of War: I assume this is fiction, but man, it sounds like a great ATOW campaign: The story of how Vlad Ward rescued Alexander Kerensky's DNA/Body before the Wolves left during the wars of reaving.

Technical Readout: Golden Century (all the mechs of the early days of the Clans)

July:

Tech Readout: Irregulars (the one offs, cobbled together frankenmechs, and the like)

Touring the Stars: Kaumberg

Spotlight on: Thermo Police (talk about bad timing: here's the pitch: Beyond the edge of acknowledged civilization lie the Outworlds Wastes. Planets abandoned by the Star League centuries ago. Governments shattered by apathy, obscurity, and the march of time struggle to provide even the most basic needs of their people.

From these meager surroundings one small, but zealously dedicated unit stands to serve and protect the remnants of their realm. The Thermo Police may be enrolled as mercenaries but in truth they patrol these lawless stars seeking to bring the order they once knew. Specializing in non-lethal tactics, and trained beyond the typical pirates and bandits prowling the Wastes, their next encounter could be from past the distant stars they call home. But will it be a threat or an opportunity?)

Honor's Gauntlet: Fiction dealing with the Jade Falcons, and the Pryde bloodname. (yet again)

August:
Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade (part of a series of products dealing with the Goliath Scorpion empire's campaign against the Hanseatic League)

Hour of the Wolf: Novel-length fiction dealing with the Wolf clan's drive on Terra

September
Shrapnel Issue 2

Brush Wars: Operation Gurerro (the Marik invasion of the FedCom after Thomas Marik found out that Victor Steiner-Davion had swapped out his son who died)

Battletech blueprints, Volume 1 (Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Warhammer, Phoenix Hawk)

And in the pipeline for 4Q 2020 and beyond:
A series of Brush Wars releases dealing with (amongst other things): the Burrock Absorption, the Battle of Dahlgren, the St. Ives War, and the First Combine-Ghost Bear War.

Chaos Campaign: Battle of Tukayyid
Blood Will Tell by Jason Schmetzer
Spotlight On: The Stealths
Hunting Season by Philip A. Lee
Spotlight On: Snord’s Irregulars
Rogue Academy #3: Crimson Dawn by Jennifer Brozek
Touring the Stars POD compilation
Spotlight On: Payne’s Raiders
Map Pack: Alien Worlds
IlClan
MechCommander’s Handbook

drat. my hands hurt from typing that all out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm interested in TRO: Irregulars; actually, I have been waiting for it for a long time since it was talked about as XTRO: Irregulartech years ago. With the TRO title instead I'm wondering if it will be a full book? That would be cool.

I'm also interested in Touring the Stars: Kaumberg because I liked that planet ever since I read Operation: Flashpoint and I liked it when Herb Beas snuck in references to it and the houses on it into Jihad and onward era stuff. It will be cool to have a map of the place. I think that the little civil war microcosm that happened there between the two ruling houses during the FedCom civil war would be a good RPG setting.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Totally going to start my next campaign playing as the Thermo Police and run around the Wastes as glorified meter maids enforcing the specifics of maritime law

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I can't believe we've already gone three posts without pointing out the obvious ending to Thermopylae Thermo Police and it's a bunch of dead cops.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Totally going to start my next campaign playing as the Thermo Police and run around the Wastes as glorified meter maids enforcing the specifics of maritime law

"THIS IS A FREE MECH ON THE LAND."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taintrunner posted:

SEA PATROL gonna put on our hobnail boots and show the Scoobydoos what an axehandle is for.

SirFozzie posted:

Rock of the Republic: Another Pardoe novella, bringing the timeline forward dealing with the Republic Remmnant outside the Fortress now that the Fortress is down. (Fiction)

Weird chose to base a book around considering that Redburn and his government got wiped out by Stone with the same level of gravitas they gave the annihilation of Malcolm Buhl's ComStar.

BattleMaster posted:

I'm interested in TRO: Irregulars; actually, I have been waiting for it for a long time since it was talked about as XTRO: Irregulartech years ago. With the TRO title instead I'm wondering if it will be a full book? That would be cool.

I think, now that they've decided TROs can have tech besides just tournament legal stuff, the XTRO label is kind of obsolete.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Defiance Industries posted:

Weird chose to base a book around considering that Redburn and his government got wiped out by Stone with the same level of gravitas they gave the annihilation of Malcolm Buhl's ComStar.

Where did that happen?