Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It is fun. I like his stuff, even Stretch, which I thought was the weakest one he's done. Still good, just not as gloriously amazing as Narc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Narzack posted:

It is fun. I like his stuff, even Stretch, which I thought was the weakest one he's done. Still good, just not as gloriously amazing as Narc.

Narc is stupidly good.

Edit: I've been meaning to see Stretch but have never gotten around to it. Maybe it'll pop up on Tubi some day.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 9, 2020

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Timby posted:

Narc is stupidly good.

Edit: I've been meaning to see Stretch but have never gotten around to it. Maybe it'll pop up on Tubi some day.

Any movie that gives Chris Pine room to gently caress around and be weird is worth a look.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Narc, A-Team and The Grey slap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Taken movies were all incredibly cheap to make, so it isn't a huge surprise that they made three of them with how much they were bringing in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I could listen to this guy talk about action scenes for hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BzGTiJ0k3k&t=561s

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
i don't know what this is but i am excited for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02lzzh86kjk

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Basebf555 posted:

In general it's not uncommon in a lot of countries for people to mix English into their regular conversations. This is because most of the world has had to adapt to English speakers for a long time and so a high percentage of people in these countries are taught to speak it fluently. It's not like in America where your kid gets like two years of very basic foreign language instruction with zero expectation them ever becoming truly fluent.

So a lot of the time in movies when a character throws in an English expression that's actually pretty true to the way they would speak there, when it's two people conversing know both languages(which again, is very common).

Half-Malay from the UK here, can confirm that all my Malaysian relatives pepper their conversations liberally with bits of English.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Basebf555 posted:

I really hope his story about Tony Jaa is true, him training insanely hard to be able to jump real high because he didn't know they used wires in hong kong movies.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I would have loved for him to talk about Warrior.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrBling posted:

I really hope his story about Tony Jaa is true, him training insanely hard to be able to jump real high because he didn't know they used wires in hong kong movies.

I want that to be true too... :allears:

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I've heard that story a few times, and I've decided to just believe it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You're probably right to tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VBIEJQPhdY

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm going to give The Protector (2005) a whirl this evening, can't believe I've slept on this movie and indeed all of Tony Jaa's work.

It's amazing how his cinematic super-power came from, "we trained him wrong, as a joke", but it really happened.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

What the hell

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I stumbled on Jaa in the best possible way. As a teenager, killing time at the mall. Like 20 bucks in my pocket and one of those mall kiosk guys sold me on this random DVD that I knew nothing about. That DVD turned out to be Ong Bak.

Jaa is maybe one of the last guys who made it that way. Almost 100% word of mouth.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

...That DVD turned out to be Ong Bak.

Jaa is maybe one of the last guys who made it that way. Almost 100% word of mouth.
Yeah, I read about it on some obscure forum - maybe this one - and ordered direct. My GF at the time was really curious about what I ordered from Thailand, lol.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I'm going to give The Protector (2005) a whirl this evening, can't believe I've slept on this movie and indeed all of Tony Jaa's work.

Jaa unfortunately only made two great movies. The sequels have moments of fun and astonishment, but of the top 50 Tony Jaa movie moments, probably 48 of them are in Ong Bak and The Protector.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Here's all the ones I watched in the past couple of weeks:

Bullet to the Head (2012) - 2.5/5, Tubi
Insert my standard review here about how the action was very good and the plot was incomprehensible. This one stood out because Sung Kang is playing a cop and letting Stallone get away an extreme amount of murders. The body count in the film is very high and, as you'd expect from the title, there are a lot of headshots. I had fun.

The Decline (2020) - 3/5, Netflix
This was a tight and tense film. I'm relatively obsessed with broke-brain doomsday preppers, so the leisurely set-up in the early part of the movie was right up my alley. Then, when the movie turns, it pretty much goes down the road it must based on their world view.

Presumably the movie had a pretty low budget, but the set-up and subject matter made it easy to work within and the results were good. The pacing is good and the acting is fine, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

The Raid (2011) - 4.5/5, Tubi
Nearly perfect action movie. The speed and creativity in the action sequences is unparalleled, especially in terms of the use of the environment of the scenes. Everything's shot in a way that's perfectly comprehensible, and undeniably cool. Getting something this outstanding out of the budget they did is tremendous.

In Hell (2003) - 3.5/5, Tubi
I clicked on this, expecting as one does, for a JCVD movie about fighting. Specifically, prison fights. This is not that, exactly. This is a movie about despair.

This movie is so dark, and there is nothing hopeful or positive, and it's relentless. It hit me a lot harder than I was prepared for. There are some good fights, but they're also not important to the movie at all, and that's okay. It's an existential meditation on prison and violence. Jean-Claude Van Damme's performance is excellent, and Lawrence Taylor is good too.

It's well worth it, if you are in the frame of mind for that kind of movie.

Yes, Madam! (1985) - 2/5
This is another film in the canon of "does one thing extremely good, while the rest is extremely bad." In this case, every action sequence with Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock is insanely great. The direction in the action and particularly the environmental destruction built into the fights is so cool.

Unfortunately the 20 minutes of awesome action you get is couched in 70 minutes of insipid comedy with bad acting, nothing funny, and an awful plot. There is just so much of the movie that is literally air that I was getting restless even in spite of the movie's reasonable runtime.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Ok I Watched “Becky” yesterday and I know it’s supposed to be scary but I found the action to be amazing and hilarious.

Imagine if Home Alone was Rated R and Macaulay culkin was playing his character from the good son. Also Kevin James as an angry neo nazi

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Pillowpants posted:

Ok I Watched “Becky” yesterday and I know it’s supposed to be scary but I found the action to be amazing and hilarious.

Imagine if Home Alone was Rated R and Macaulay culkin was playing his character from the good son. Also Kevin James as an angry neo nazi
I'm adding it to my watchlist in hopes that it can make my Letterboxd list Bad Guys Killed in Home Alone-Style Traps.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The best Tony Jaa movie is SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (or, in the US, Kill Zone 2)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Boco_T posted:

In Hell (2003) - 3.5/5, Tubi
I clicked on this, expecting as one does, for a JCVD movie about fighting. Specifically, prison fights. This is not that, exactly. This is a movie about despair.

This movie is so dark, and there is nothing hopeful or positive, and it's relentless. It hit me a lot harder than I was prepared for. There are some good fights, but they're also not important to the movie at all, and that's okay. It's an existential meditation on prison and violence. Jean-Claude Van Damme's performance is excellent, and Lawrence Taylor is good too.

It's well worth it, if you are in the frame of mind for that kind of movie.

You're the first person I've seen bring up 'In Hell' for like 15 years. It's a much better film than the set up implies, and sort of kicked off Van Dammes habit of going back to his earlier projects and making a more meditative, interesting version of a very similar plot, in this case 1990's death warrant.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It's amazing how his cinematic super-power came from, "we trained him wrong, as a joke", but it really happened.

It's the worst movie I've watched all the way through, and one of the best, most ambitious action films ever. Duality of man and such forth.

Remulak posted:

Yeah, I read about it on some obscure forum - maybe this one - and ordered direct. My GF at the time was really curious about what I ordered from Thailand, lol.

It actually got a cinema release in Australia. After it came out on DVD, we had viewing parties. We'd find out somebody in our extended friendship group hadn't seen it, and we'd all watch it again. And we'd usually watch the DVD extras of b-roll footage and Jaa doing live demos at movie premieres and basketball games to promote the movie.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I liked Tak Sakaguchi's quick, brutal style in RE:BORN so I took a look at his filmography; I didn't realise he's been in a lot of the mid-00's 'splatter gore' genre that came out of Japan. I picked one I hadn't seen before - YAKUZA WEAPON - and was quite thoroughly amused. As a manga adaptation I was expecting some silliness but it was exceptionally ridiculous - the fistfight scenes themselves were a little roughly lit and shot, and the whole move has a cheap DTV feel, but if you want to see an insane yakuza have his dead sister turned into a nude cyborg who shoots a machinegun from her mouth and rockets from elsewhere, this may well be the film you have been searching for.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Protector is a weird goddamn movie. The Thais are in indecipherable bunch, their sense of spirituality and beauty merge in a weird way in that heat.

Tony Jaa is a farmer who grew up with elephants, until one day the mafia or some poo poo took his elephants. He is an elite-level martial artist, but his skills are never explained and are faintly justified as stemming from his love of elephants. He snaps necks and caves in chests of dozens of henchmen yelling, "Where're my elephants?!", but he does not wait for an answer, just more faces to smash.

Well he finds his elephant, and then things get wild as hell.

It was about 45 minutes into the film when I became aware I was watching an action flick. Tommy Wissou could've directed the "English" scenes and they would have been more intelligible. I was bored to the point of contemplating fast forwarding ( a sin!) to the action scenes, which came out of nowhere as Tony Jaa magically appears flying from off-frame to fly-kick a man's chest in.

All said, the action scenes were worth the schizophrenic story and editing.

Da 5 Bloods is a great film, and worthy of the mountain of praise it is receiving. If you've seen a Spike Lee joint before, you know what you're in for - a compelling albeit long heart-felt story about real people scrapping by in this racist hell world.

The ensemble plays off each other like a symphony of black talent, but the star of the show is Clarke Peters. Each of the vets are traumatized in their own way by Vietnam and each actor plays grief slightly differently. It's amazing to watch.

The use of de-aging is tastefully used, and I'm so glad we didn't have a The Irishman rehash here. The flashbacks were told with the natural actors posing as their younger selves and in the end, we get a CGI photo of what they probably looked like. Tasteful and with no jank, Spike Lee handled that part with a grace Scorsese might never have.

Both films earn the coveted level of Walrus Certified rear end Slappers.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 15, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The unquestionable best part of The Protector is the temple on fire fight scene, and, more specifically, it's build up. Or it's lack of build up. It's been their sanctuary for much of the movie, and returning to find it on fire and filled with enemies should be a strong scene. The problem is, the writer and director clearly wanted that scene, but had no idea how to lead up to it. They're sitting there, they leave, have a brief conversation in the car, and then return. It's emblematic of the film as a whole: amazing set pieces based on strong imagery and tropes, literally no idea or effort of how to set them up.

EDIT: actually, ignore that. The best part is where he strides through sydney, with his elephant, prompting people to stop and stare at this strange man and his elephant, but both Tony and his elephant and CGI'd into sydney, because location shooting is expensive.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 16, 2020

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Sorry, fellas. I tried to like Maria, but I think it kinda sucked. Made it halfway before the horrible writing and worse acting made me start skipping to get to the next mediocre action scene. And it definitely seems like Lily was cast for her looks before her ability, which sucks because there are so many super talented female martial artists in the world. What is cool, however is seeing how the Raid and John Wick kind of inspired a Renaissance of non-cartoon action movies.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Happy 44th Scott Adkins (and Scott Adkins's taint)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Clipperton posted:

Happy 44th Scott Adkins (and Scott Adkins's taint)

I like how even the ref is stunned at what's about to happen.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
That ref was me when I heard Scott Adkins' attempt at a Russian accent.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im sorry you must give the raid 5 stars or you will be arrested

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm watching Robocop 3 because I've never seen it. It is badddddddd but there's a scene where Murphy goes to gently caress up the cops at the station and just before he walks in there's a black guy at the front desk asking "...so you got a robocop, you got an alien cop? got a ghost cop? ....vampire cop?..." it's the 'high' point in a poo poo movie. Robocop's weird mouth is quite off-putting.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 18, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

im sorry you must give the raid 5 stars or you will be arrested

Wait who didn't give The Raid 5 stars? They need to know I hate them and everything they stand for.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I remember very little about RoboCop 3 except thinking "you have a robot cop fighting two robot ninjas and winning. Doesn't this imply that a human cop could ever possibly best two human ninjas?"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It sucks because every now and then there's a glimpse of the old comedy stylings of the other two films, that looney tunes energy...

All the cops have turned in their badges because OCP wants them to go and turf civilians out of their homes and I'm sat here like even in the squalid run down future Detroit movie cops have more honour than real cops.

Robo fights one ninja and gets stomped. Later he fights two more, they push him over and he's done... The ninjas get hacked and chop each other's heads off. Then the main English bad guy calls the woman a stupid slag and gets blown up.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 18, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I liked Tak Sakaguchi's quick, brutal style in RE:BORN so I took a look at his filmography; I didn't realise he's been in a lot of the mid-00's 'splatter gore' genre that came out of Japan. I picked one I hadn't seen before - YAKUZA WEAPON - and was quite thoroughly amused. As a manga adaptation I was expecting some silliness but it was exceptionally ridiculous - the fistfight scenes themselves were a little roughly lit and shot, and the whole move has a cheap DTV feel, but if you want to see an insane yakuza have his dead sister turned into a nude cyborg who shoots a machinegun from her mouth and rockets from elsewhere, this may well be the film you have been searching for.

Versus is still an all-time great. Wasn't a fan of the new scenes (added years after the fact) but the original is fantastic shlock.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jimbot posted:

Versus is still an all-time great. Wasn't a fan of the new scenes (added years after the fact) but the original is fantastic shlock.

The dude with the butterfly knife in Versus is one of my favorite action movie performances. Just a pure living cartoon character.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

The dude with the butterfly knife in Versus is one of my favorite action movie performances. Just a pure living cartoon character.

If you want to see what 110% in shlock gets you, it's that performance. It's amazing. In fact, the entire cast is pretty fantastic. Don't forget the Weasely guy who screams "It's not my fault" for about half the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

If you want to see what 110% in shlock gets you, it's that performance. It's amazing. In fact, the entire cast is pretty fantastic. Don't forget the Weasely guy who screams "It's not my fault" for about half the film.

and keeps pulling out guns. It's the Evil Dead and Highlander colliding at high speed. Versus loving rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Is Versus the movie where a bunch of scenes open with a dude tumbling through the trees and another dude who says'i hate guys who hit women' and then clocks a chick?