Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The CHP (China History Podcast) is real, real goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Laszlo has an incredibly good voice and it makes CHP a delight to listen to. Only complaint is that his topics aren’t in chronological order.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oof. For a 200+ episode podcast about a subject I know very little about, it sucks that it's not in chronological order.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Yeah, I've been doing a Warlord Era/Civil War/Two-Gun Cohen/Cultural Revolution listen. I agree that you have to be willing to self-curate a little bit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Oof. For a 200+ episode podcast about a subject I know very little about, it sucks that it's not in chronological order.

This is what made me drop it. I like the concept, but in execution I'm way more interested in certain eras than certain subjects.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The History of China is the podcast you want for a chronological telling of the history. I'm at the Tang now, I think currently he's still doing the Yuan.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I actually like the "by subject" nature of The China History Podcast; sometimes, I just wanna hear about Romance of the Three Kingdoms without prefacing it with 2000+ years of ancient history.

It'd be neat if someone arranged his work into chronological order for a different podcast feed, tho that might be hard to do with subjects like the history of tea spanning multiple eras.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

This is what made me drop it. I like the concept, but in execution I'm way more interested in certain eras than certain subjects.
Like the other poster said, it doesn’t help that it’s a subject that presumably most of us aren’t versed in.

Morbid, but the Nanjing Massacre 2-part episode is a really good bit of Laszlos. If you wanna learn about how a dude waving a swastika around saved tens of thousands of innocent lives during that atrocity, it’s a great ep.

Grand Fromage posted:

The History of China is the podcast you want for a chronological telling of the history. I'm at the Tang now, I think currently he's still doing the Yuan.
I’ll give this a listen. Last China thing I listened to was a paid audiobook The Fall And Rise of China which was pretty fantastic but it’s my only source of China history so I have nothing to compare it to.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I just feel like Teacup Media (the host network for CHP) missed a potential branding opportunity when they didn't go with "Podcasting with Chinese Characteristics" for their slogan?

:shrug:

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
The CHP did a quick chronological run-through of the whole history of China up to 1912 starting with ep 14. That should give you enough context to orient yourself.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Grey Area posted:

The CHP did a quick chronological run-through of the whole history of China up to 1912 starting with ep 14. That should give you enough context to orient yourself.

Awesome, thanks. I started with the first episode but was starting to zone out after ten minutes of explaining how gunpowder works, so maybe getting into the actual history of the country will be more interesting.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you're okay with an audiobook, just pick up that John Keay book for a decent 1 volume history of China.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
is american presidents totalius rankium good??? I'm kinda leery, I like these guys but choosing that sorta topic for the rankium like...it's so much less distant, so much more sociopolitically loaded, most of the Presidents are also immense murderous scumbags in a way that seems less delightful when compared to comfortably far far away (and probably embellished) Caligula/anything the Historia Augusta says/ etc.
I guess whereas them being humorous foreign laypeople is fine with roman emperors, I wonder if they wont stumble with some of this......anyway, I was just curious.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I created a podcast discord, https://discord.gg/rTc2f7z Revolutions chat welcome

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 24, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sleng Teng posted:

Is Tides of History still locked behind a subscription, or at least a good bit of it? That and ad reads was what prevented me from getting into it when I tried some time ago, but hearing Wyman on other stuff I bet I’d enjoy it. Maybe I’m remembering wrong

I...don't think it is? And the ad reads have progressed to "just OK" now, I agree that they were super awkward at first.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually had no idea that Tides was behind a paywall. Though looking it up now, it looks like everything from September 2018 onwards is available. I forget when it actually switched over from being Fall of Rome so that might be all of Tides proper.

As for the ad reads... they're ads. Just skip them. Or suffer for 60 seconds.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I think all of “season 1” and part of “season 2” of Tides is behind the paywall. From what I can tell it’s the Fall of Rome stuff from when the shows overlapped and content dealing with roughly the mid 1300’s to the mid 1400’s.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
This is like the billionth time some podcast has namedropped Henry Kissinger. It seems like he waa political giant for in US foreign policy. Are there any good podcast episodes anywhere that discuss him?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
honestly i think most of the big generalist podcasts that would like to cover Kissinger are waiting until he dies, god willing, to do their episodes about him. I expect to hear party horns and champagne corks popping constantly in the background of them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

buglord posted:

This is like the billionth time some podcast has namedropped Henry Kissinger. It seems like he waa political giant for in US foreign policy. Are there any good podcast episodes anywhere that discuss him?

To be brief he was famously Nixon's Secretary of State and responsible for that administration's foreign affairs "achievements".

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

To be brief he was famously Nixon's Secretary of State and responsible for that administration's foreign affairs "achievements".

He also won the Nobel Peace Prize for this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did the dollop ever do one on him?

Also, it's not exactly a college course, but if you've ever seen the Venture Bros cartoon, the character Henry Killinger is, you know, based on Henry Kissinger, but Kissinger didn't have a "magic murder bag" unless you count a briefcase full of illegal plans to bomb Laos.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

buglord posted:

i am forever working on a Henry Kissinger episode. it is hard to do because:

1. I'll need to read at least three separate books cover-to-cover to do a responsible job on him
2. 4-5 hours probably won't be enough for much more than an overview of his shittiness

Like I could easily do a 2 or 3 part episode just talking about the genocide in Bangladesh he helped enable in order to open up trade relations with China. people write massive and deeply researched books about single moments in Kissinger's decades-long career

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Looking forward to behind the spine: the richard kyanka story

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

i am forever working on a Henry Kissinger episode. it is hard to do because:

1. I'll need to read at least three separate books cover-to-cover to do a responsible job on him
2. 4-5 hours probably won't be enough for much more than an overview of his shittiness

Like I could easily do a 2 or 3 part episode just talking about the genocide in Bangladesh he helped enable in order to open up trade relations with China. people write massive and deeply researched books about single moments in Kissinger's decades-long career

Do a separate limited Mini-series just on the dude, the world can use it.

#1 individual I constantly think is dead and then it turns out he isn't. HOW

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you're enjoying the last couple episodes of Inward Empire, I binged through the podcast that the host recommended at the end of the last episode -- Shadows of Utopia -- and it's really good. It's a Khmer/Cambodian history podcast that touches on a lot of the corners that this thread seems to appreciate;

This was great and I love the deep dive format. Don’t sleep on this one.

I will say the last couple of episodes had some....stuttering....or......pausing.......delivery that got better after a bit. That’s the only knock against it I can give.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do a separate limited Mini-series just on the dude, the world can use it.

#1 individual I constantly think is dead and then it turns out he isn't. HOW

I'd love to, but time is a limited resource and I suspect this uprising is only going to get hotter later in the summer. I kinda need to just be worrying about Bastards and WYE for a little while.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'd love to, but time is a limited resource and I suspect this uprising is only going to get hotter later in the summer. I kinda need to just be worrying about Bastards and WYE for a little while.

Besides you gotta focus on this Rich Kyanka episode of BtB

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I know it's jokes, but there probably isn't that much of interest about Lowtax himself. Something something, he got punched by Uwe Boll once.

An episode about Something Awful and all of the (awful) things that spiraled out of it could be fun, though. From 4chan to Gamergate. The episode with the Hotwheels interview is probably the closest we've gotten to a goon episode.

Robert, you're doing god's work. :patriot: Try not to burn yourself out if you can help it.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Spoeank posted:

Besides you gotta focus on this Rich Kyanka episode of BtB

I'm just glad fragmaster isn't alive to see this

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have to say that way back in the day I always liked Fragmaster more.

Just realizing I can never watch Doom House again.

Appoda posted:

I know it's jokes, but there probably isn't that much of interest about Lowtax himself. Something something, he got punched by Uwe Boll once.

I have to say, between the last few days, and having listened to some interviews with Boll recently, my opinion of both of them have flipped 180.

I hope it was Boll's punches that were the cause of Lowtax's spine problems.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I listened to the Seagal Behind The Bastards but they were mean to David Rakoff!

:mad:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any especially good podcasts about the Spanish civil war? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it mentioned here but can’t remember.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lowtax wishes he could create anything on this level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp4wK2M2hTw

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

is american presidents totalius rankium good??? I'm kinda leery, I like these guys but choosing that sorta topic for the rankium like...it's so much less distant, so much more sociopolitically loaded, most of the Presidents are also immense murderous scumbags in a way that seems less delightful when compared to comfortably far far away (and probably embellished) Caligula/anything the Historia Augusta says/ etc.
I guess whereas them being humorous foreign laypeople is fine with roman emperors, I wonder if they wont stumble with some of this......anyway, I was just curious.

Well, the opprobrium equivalent in AP subtracts points and usually is dominated by colonialist/slave-related policy discussion, followed by personal treatment of women. Lincoln and Rutherford B Hayes might be the only ones so far who’ve gotten something approaching an actively positive treatment? Even then, I think they knocked points off for Lincoln’s home life and the whole “send black people to Africa” thing.

They looooove Hayes though.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Wait, Rutherford B Hayes of the corrupt bargain? Reconstruction was practically doomed by his election, but Hayes is a solidly C-tier mediocrity of a president. I can't see how anyone can be excited by President So-So.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

golden bubble posted:

I can't see how anyone can be excited by President So-So.

I'd love a President So-So right now.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Used to listen to the Generation Why podcast which, although it has poor sound and so-so hosting, had some decent mystery episodes. I listened to a few episodes last night and it's now basically a true crime podcast: detailed recounting of gruesome crimes with little mystery or unknowns, moralising, pearl-clutching ...

Which is disappointing, but the true crime market is so huge, it was perhaps inevitable. It's crazy how many of these nearly identical podcasts there are.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Wait, Rutherford B Hayes of the corrupt bargain? Reconstruction was practically doomed by his election, but Hayes is a solidly C-tier mediocrity of a president. I can't see how anyone can be excited by President So-So.

They latched on to how relentlessly upbeat his journal is. I think the term they used was “lollipop.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I should recommend The Canon Ball, which is a read through of Harold Bloom's list of books in the western canon. There is quite a bit of content by this point - episodes usually run 1-2 hours - though the nature of the project requires fairly long breaks between podcasts. The hosts use the expert + everyman approach, with one host being a literature phd (I think), while the other is an enthusiastic layperson (who was also one of the original Lesser Bonapartes hosts actually). I think they generally do a good job analyzing the books and setting them in their historic context, though there are times where they are obviously struggling to get through an uninteresting work. Would recommend if you're looking for a high brow but still accessible podcast.

re: Totalus Rankium, I think they generally do a pretty good job handling highly loaded topics with care. They come across as mostly left-leaning liberals, and their analysis tends to be straightforward mainstream history that plays around with great man history.

TheLoquid fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 6, 2020