Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It’s incredible how many forgotten characters there were from the 2000s. Just off the top of my head I got:

The Bashams
Gymini
Gunner Scott
The Teachers Pets
Manu
Mordecai
Hade Vansen
The Heart throbs
Kizarny
Luther Reigns
Orlando Jordan
DJ Gabriel

And that’s just a short list. Many of these guys got a lot of tv time too, but had no memorable matches or angles. Was any decade worse in terms of go-nowhere characters?

Paul Burchill, Pirate
Paul Burchill, tough guy and his... sister?
The Dicks
Gene Snitsky 2.0
Mark Jindrak, Narcissist ripoff
Stuttering Matt Morgan
Nathan Jones
Shelton Benjamin’s Momma
Palmer Canon
Rodney Mack and The White Boy Challenge
Carlito Caribbean Cool’s bodyguard Jesus who stabbed John Cena
Shaniqua
Fake Kane
LOD member Heidenreich
The ECW Zombie
GM Mike Adamle
Dancing Lance Storm
Enormous Penis Lance Storm
Lance Storm who is so boring Stone Cold literally brought out a blanket and pillow and snored through Lance’s match
Al Wilson RIP
Big Dick Johnson

I mean, Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, I thought I was being a wiseass and correcting you with the wrong one. Holy poo poo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, I thought I was being a wiseass and correcting you with the wrong one. Holy poo poo.

:buddy:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It’s incredible how many forgotten characters there were from the 2000s. Just off the top of my head I got:

The Bashams
Gymini
Gunner Scott
The Teachers Pets
Manu
Mordecai
Hade Vansen
The Heart throbs
Kizarny
Luther Reigns
Orlando Jordan
DJ Gabriel

And that’s just a short list. Many of these guys got a lot of tv time too, but had no memorable matches or angles. Was any decade worse in terms of go-nowhere characters?

so i though about it and given two decade is a long time here's my list of WWE bred superstars from 2000-2020 that are Hall of Famers without a doubt:

John Cena

thats it.

There are others of course but they are all flawed:

Daniel Bryan made his bones on being the best wrestler in the world long before he got to WWE and had a Hall of Fame career on the indies alone (and WWE tried to sabotage him so hard it became a loving angle)

CM Punk was also indie bred but their true place was WWE and that wa sin spite of them trying to sabotage him as well (and then he self-sabotaged his own Hall of Fame nomination through dumbass MMA)

Samoa Joe's entire Hall of Fame argument is RoH, TNA and indies, ignoring WWE entirely.

AJ Styles was a Hall of Famer before he even got to WWE through TNA and NJPW.

They had twenty years to make stars and they made a grand total of ONE. TNA has a higher batting average than that as two of the guys mentioned are TNA from their Hall of Fame careers.

Being really loose the strongest argument for a second male Hall of Famer from WWE during this entire period is Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose and again thats in spite of WWE and the only reason hes listed at all is because he loving left. I specified male because Becky Lynch might be the first western female wrestler Hall of Famer since Mildred Burke but even thats up in the air and Asuka might be the best womens wrestler in the west (as in wrestlers who came west and they actually translated) but again thats in spite of WWE.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

STAC Goat posted:

I think Kazarian had a very brief run entirely on Velocity. And I believe he was just Frankie Kazarian.

He did have an infamous confrontation with a wrestler with a carnie gimmick though. Just a different one.
Kaz has ten recorded matches within WWE, and the first half of them were dark matches when he was just starting out/WWE was going through SoCal:

2/14/2000 - Funaki d. Frankie Kazarian
3/12/2001 - Kaientai d. Frankie Kazarian & Keiji Sakoda
5/12/2001 - Nova & Frankie Kazarian d. Christopher Daniels and Mikey Henderson
2/10/2003 - Frankie Kazarian d. Keiji Sakoda (this apparently helped get Sakoda the gig as one of Taijiri's Yakuza Kyo Dai henchmen alongside Akio [Jimmy Yang]

Kazarian actually signed to WWE, spent like two months doing almost nothing in OVW, and then debuted on Velocity, where he picked up four weeks of consecutive victories against Nunzio, Scotty 2 Hotty, Funaki, and Paul London. Then he asked for his release when he realized their 'revamped cruiserweight division' was going to be nothing but four minute matches on Velocity.

I would have sworn that Kaz was half of the WWE New Pitbulls, but turns out that was Kid Kash and Jamie Noble, whose eight month run involved mostly losing to Kendrick/London and the Mexicools, but at least had one solid PPV match in summer of 2006. The team (and Kid Kash's) last match in WWE was putting over the newly debuted and aforementioned Teachers' Pets of Idol Stevens and KC James.

Rodney Mack's White Boy Challenge reminds me of how somehow the extremely brief run of Thuggin' & Buggin' Enterprises led to Teddy Long using an entrance theme that declares HERE COME THE MACK MILITANT for over a decade as a goofy old man babyface GM character. What was he militant (much less THE MACK MILITANT) about, other than perhaps making things into tag team matches?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lid posted:

so i though about it and given two decade is a long time here's my list of WWE bred superstars from 2000-2020 that are Hall of Famers without a doubt:

John Cena

thats it.

There are others of course but they are all flawed:

Daniel Bryan made his bones on being the best wrestler in the world long before he got to WWE and had a Hall of Fame career on the indies alone (and WWE tried to sabotage him so hard it became a loving angle)

CM Punk was also indie bred but their true place was WWE and that wa sin spite of them trying to sabotage him as well (and then he self-sabotaged his own Hall of Fame nomination through dumbass MMA)

Samoa Joe's entire Hall of Fame argument is RoH and indies, ignoring WWE entirely.

AJ Styles was a Hall of Famer before he even got to WWE through TNA and NJPW.

They had twenty years to make stars and they made a grand total of ONE. TNA has a higher batting average than that as two of the guys mentioned are TNA from their Hall of Fame careers.

Being really loose the strongest argument for a second male Hall of Famer from WWE during this entire period is Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose and again thats in spite of WWE. I specified male because Becky Lynch might be the first western female wrestler Hall of Famer since Mildred Burke but even thats up in the air and Asuka might be the best womens wrestler in the west (as in wrestlers who came west and they actually translated) but again thats in spite of WWE.

Eh, you could make cases for Batista, Lesnar, Orton, and eventually Roman and Rollins. Angle probably. Bray, probably, just by virtue of being around forever by the time he retires.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

History is unknowing as to exactly what Vade Vansen's name is.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

Eh, you could make cases for Batista, Lesnar, Orton, and eventually Roman and Rollins. Angle probably. Bray, probably, just by virtue of being around forever by the time he retires.

Batista, Orton and Edge are weird. Like, if you put any one of them in, you should probably go ahead and put the other two, they're that close to each other

(Angle and Lesnar are already in, assuming we are talking about the Observer HoF, the only one I recognize :colbert:)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Edge & Christian posted:

Kaz has ten recorded matches within WWE, and the first half of them were dark matches when he was just starting out/WWE was going through SoCal:

2/14/2000 - Funaki d. Frankie Kazarian
3/12/2001 - Kaientai d. Frankie Kazarian & Keiji Sakoda
5/12/2001 - Nova & Frankie Kazarian d. Christopher Daniels and Mikey Henderson
2/10/2003 - Frankie Kazarian d. Keiji Sakoda (this apparently helped get Sakoda the gig as one of Taijiri's Yakuza Kyo Dai henchmen alongside Akio [Jimmy Yang]

Kazarian actually signed to WWE, spent like two months doing almost nothing in OVW, and then debuted on Velocity, where he picked up four weeks of consecutive victories against Nunzio, Scotty 2 Hotty, Funaki, and Paul London. Then he asked for his release when he realized their 'revamped cruiserweight division' was going to be nothing but four minute matches on Velocity.

I believe Sakoda and Nova were both involved in Kazarian's training and Daniels there does make that just look like a bunch of SoCal tryouts. I think they were all part of UPW around that time which is where I think WWE got John Cena from. I think I also vaguely remember who Mikey Henderson was.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Red posted:

I legit forgot about Lesnar as he's just such a trancendent athlete in every way that I don't even think of him as WWE. He's just Brock.

You can make cases for the others (Batista, Orton, Roman, Rollins) but none of them are particularly strong and if anything are really flawed. Just being a main eventer for a time isn't a Hall of Famer. That Batista is in there at all just shows the power of leaving wrestling has because as an actual wrestler entity his best runs were his very very very short heel runs before he began his sporadic absences.

Angle pre-dates the 2000s.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, but he debuted like the last two months of 1999

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Luther Reigns

quote:

no memorable matches or angles.

I find this post disrespectful to peas and their consumption.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Please, someone post the peas segment, I can't find it, thanks in advance.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Please, someone post the peas segment, I can't find it, thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbs7YxTM3eQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Thank you

EDIT: But why did he smash a pie in that lady's face? I thought he was hungry.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 21, 2020

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

It was weird as I got back into WWE around 2005 and so many call-ups and repackaged gimmicks went through the cycle of getting a couple of wins on RAW or SD!, losing to someone on a PPV and then disappearing forever (or getting relegated to Heat/Velocity for six months before getting released). If that, really.

Rob Conway (although I suppose he was around for a couple of years after the Conman gimmick), Sylvain Grenier, Doug (and Danny?) Basham, the Gymini, the Dicks, Slyvester Terkay (not looking this up to see if I spelled it right), the Heart Throbs probably.

I mean, people get misused now but it seems like back then it was a month-long push and then a 90% chance of getting released.

Also, holy gently caress. DJ Gabriel. Out of everyone on the previously noted lists I legitimately forgot about him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WWE has been really bad at making something out of talent for a very long time, and there was a period there where there was just no viable alternative so they were just tossing talent around and doing spring cleanings a couple of times a year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Don't forget Tyson Tomko, Maven, Vladimir Kozlov, Kenny Dykstra, and The Highlanders!

Also Kenzo Suzuki, who they literally were going to debut as Hirohito.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I thought Ricky Ortiz could have been big.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

sticklefifer posted:

Don't forget Tyson Tomko, Maven, Vladimir Kozlov, Kenny Dykstra, and The Highlanders!

The Highlanders ending had the most reasonable for WWE reason - one of them went to a TNA show, was in the audience, and was shown and named on camera. To be fair to him though WWE denied, and in retrospect it is so clearly obviously correct, that there was no wrestling war between these two so they should've given no fucks now that we've seen what an actual war looks like.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Also around the same time I remember them bringing in a ~50-year-old Finlay who got a decent push (and at least a US title reign, if I recall). So bizarre.

Lid posted:

The Highlanders ending had the most reasonable for WWE reason - one of them went to a TNA show, was in the audience, and was shown and named on camera. To be fair to him though WWE denied, and in retrospect it is so clearly obviously correct, that there was no wrestling war between these two so they should've given no fucks now that we've seen what an actual war looks like.

I remember this lmao

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

didn't TNA do that to be lovely as well

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Finlay came VERY close to being World Heavyweight Champion, but they decided to go with Khali instead.

That reminds me, Khali selling for Finlay's shillelagh beatdowns was always a great time.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neodoomium posted:

And WWE tried to do it to Britt Baker.

Gavok posted:

Finlay came VERY close to being World Heavyweight Champion, but they decided to go with Khali instead.

gently caress Vince

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Davros1 posted:

gently caress Vince

It was definitely a situation where Vince got Wormtongued out of it, but I forgot which crony had it in for Finlay.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Gavok posted:

It was definitely a situation where Vince got Wormtongued out of it, but I forgot which crony had it in for Finlay.

Dunn.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember the story where Finlay felt like he had more to give in-ring, and went to John Laurinaitis to ask if he could, and Laurinaitis turned him down. So Finlay went over his head to Vince, and Vince said "Sure".

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

my name is finlay and i love to gently caress

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Also a feud with Maven that went nowhere. Undertaker has had a lot of non-starter or bad feuds.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

That almost was Hiroshi Tanahashi too!

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

why did they name one of the divas "Triffany"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Stealth Tiger posted:

why did they name one of the divas "Triffany"

I think that's a typo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be semi-fair to WWE, they actually wanted to do things with Maven a few times, according to Dave, he just had a bad attitude and never got any better.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was even the thinking behind what happened to the Highlander? TNA had to know that it would get him (and by extension his tag partner) in trouble with WWE, so maybe they could get fired and then come wrestle for TNA... the company that got them fired in the first place? As ridiculous as that sounds, maybe they were just hoping to prey on their resulting desperation like any classic exploitative wrestling promoters? Even then it's not like it was John Cena or Randy Orton, it was a lower-midcard tag guy, I can't imagine that there was a huge desire to want him in TNA. Was it just so they could name-drop WWE for even just a brief moment out of their own pathetic desperation? Were they just being assholes for the sake of it? Have I now given this more thought than TNA did?

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 21, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TNA was a terribly ran company.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know how we always say that Vince McMahon is the pettiest man on the planet? Well somehow TNA managed to out-petty him at times.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Davros1 posted:

And WWE tried to do it to Britt Baker.

And AEW just made a joke out of it. Because they don't have brain worms.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Also around the same time I remember them bringing in a ~50-year-old Finlay who got a decent push (and at least a US title reign, if I recall). So bizarre.

Back half of the '00s Finlay just going out there & beating the gently caress out of dudes on Smackdown was so much fun.

Someone also mentioned the WWE version of The Pitbulls, they were fun too. Kid Kash is one of the dudes whose careers makes no sense to me. He was mostly active from his WWE release until 2013, either in Southern indies or TNA, but no real reason he'd have not been a good, solid fit for ROH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

no word of a lie i've already forgotten which spelling of [hv]ade [hv]ansen is correct