Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I could see lots of people waiting to see how the election goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Of my expat friends I know one family that is moving back, but they were planning on it already and were in fact interrupted by covid. One of about 15-20 couples.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Americans in America are trying to transfer to the Canadian office of the company I work for

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The family friend we know that was trying to winter in Arizona just got told by her insurance company LOL no.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Just back from a week in Victoria. Still a beautiful place to be. Homeless problem is a bit out of control though, but probably no worse per capita than the rest of the province. Parks still full of tent cities. I was surprised by how large the tents were - big multi-person affairs.

Housing still stupid expensive compared to incomes, but more affordable than around Vancouver. Love the proximity to the water and the short distances to just about everywhere. People seem happier and less stressed. With small kids we spend a good amount of time at the park, and Victoria (and Oak Bay, and Saanich) had such friendly people. People would just strike up conversations apropos of nothing. It was refreshing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You can buy a big multi person tent for $200-$300 on clearance. Even the shittiest flophouse costs more than that per month.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Nobody I know who moved down is moving back.

We are pretty affected by Trump up here too. We have dumb people too. Our fates are tied with the US's. I hope nobody coming back thinks they're going to be immune to the bullshit happening down there.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Just back from a week in Victoria. Still a beautiful place to be. Homeless problem is a bit out of control though, but probably no worse per capita than the rest of the province. Parks still full of tent cities. I was surprised by how large the tents were - big multi-person affairs.
The latest year I could find easily (2018) had 2,223 homeless people in Vancouver and 1525 in Victoria, so a lot higher per capita.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Housing still stupid expensive compared to incomes, but more affordable than around Vancouver. Love the proximity to the water and the short distances to just about everywhere. People seem happier and less stressed. With small kids we spend a good amount of time at the park, and Victoria (and Oak Bay, and Saanich) had such friendly people. People would just strike up conversations apropos of nothing. It was refreshing.

I moved to Victoria a month ago from Edmonton and this place seems like literal paradise, but also I'm paying $1780 per month for a 700sqft 1br apartment (including parking) and it doesn't even have in suite laundry. I can see why tents are so popular.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
How do you all think the refugee crisis resulting from the impending Second American Civil War is going to impact Canadian housing costs in our border cities?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Square Peg posted:

I moved to Victoria a month ago from Edmonton and this place seems like literal paradise, but also I'm paying $1780 per month for a 700sqft 1br apartment (including parking) and it doesn't even have in suite laundry. I can see why tents are so popular.

drat yeah...that's like Vancouver prices.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Claes Oldenburger posted:

drat yeah...that's like Vancouver prices.

Also food and gas seem to be half-again more expensive than Edmonton. I'm glad I drive a Volt.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Well I'm continuing to monitor the Toronto rental market. Not an imminent move anymore due to covid, but still planning to move at some point. In 5 months of regular checking I have seen no change in good rental availability for nice townhomes or condos, certainly not a main-floor of a house with backyard for less than 3.5K, and no drop in prices.

I think I've been posting this unscientific update in this thread for 4 months? Our economy hasn't been hit as bad as the US, but holy poo poo I expected some economic reaction.

I'm just baffled, how do people live like this? Is everyone around me just in crippling debt (yes). Rents in Alberta are high but I can kind of justify them, and I'm clearly in a bubble where my frugal searches have kept us in really nice but affordable places.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Rime posted:

How do you all think the refugee crisis resulting from the impending Second American Civil War is going to impact Canadian housing costs in our border cities?

They will obviously go way up.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

sleep with the vicious posted:

Well I'm continuing to monitor the Toronto rental market. Not an imminent move anymore due to covid, but still planning to move at some point. In 5 months of regular checking I have seen no change in good rental availability for nice townhomes or condos, certainly not a main-floor of a house with backyard for less than 3.5K, and no drop in prices.

I think I've been posting this unscientific update in this thread for 4 months? Our economy hasn't been hit as bad as the US, but holy poo poo I expected some economic reaction.

I'm just baffled, how do people live like this? Is everyone around me just in crippling debt (yes). Rents in Alberta are high but I can kind of justify them, and I'm clearly in a bubble where my frugal searches have kept us in really nice but affordable places.

it helps when you realize that the people driving home prices are not the people living in those homes or people whose income has been heavily impacted by covid

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

ChickenWing posted:

it helps when you realize that the people driving home prices are not the people living in those homes or people whose income has been heavily impacted by covid

Emphasis on the second part. If you're in tech, sales, or finance, chances are you can work from home and everyone I know who earns north of 150k-200k in TO is in one of those fields.

It's easy to blame people not living in homes (which I agree is a problem that seriously needs to be adressed), but my guess is the lions share is from Canadians who live in our largest city who make bank and can work from home. When you look at stats about jobs affected, the vast majority is in people who could have never afforded those rentals in the first place.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Y'all many of these things can have a very significant lag factor.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

CERB, eviction bans, and mortgage deferrals have kept the bottom on the market for the most part. That might change once those programs run out in the fall and people suddenly have no money, but I've lost faith in the Canadian govt to not throw everyone under the bus so that real estate doesn't collapse.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I would suggest that they don't really have any way of accomplishing that. HOWEVER, judging by the stock market performance over the last 4 months, I think there is an argument to be made that the capital that owns real estate has become so large it is self sustaining at this point.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Crow Buddy posted:

I would suggest that they don't really have any way of accomplishing that. HOWEVER, judging by the stock market performance over the last 4 months, I think there is an argument to be made that the capital that owns real estate has become so large it is self sustaining at this point.

I'm fully convinced that the people who are running the bank of canada would sooner devalue the currency and allow inflation to run rampant than allow housing to collapse.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

qhat posted:

I'm fully convinced that the people who are running the bank of canada would sooner devalue the currency and allow inflation to run rampant than allow housing to collapse.

I can't think of a thing more Canadian than the people in charge in this country doing their best to protect real estate at all costs.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
A lot of interesting numbers on this page, comparing 1999 and 2016:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/75-006-x/2019001/article/00012-eng.htm

All of which is to say that with a 63% ownership rate overall and a huge chunk of the economy devoted to real estate, it would seem more people are hurt by a collapse than sustained/rising prices and everybody in power acts precisely accordingly.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well, except for the part about how the mortgage debt burden has doubled (in adjusted dollars) over that time.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

qhat posted:

I mean, I agree that the Canadian government would sacrifice the entire population under 55 on the altar of house prices if they thought it would help.

I just don't think it will help but admit it won't stop them from doing it anyways.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Crow Buddy posted:

I mean, I agree that the Canadian government would sacrifice the entire population under 55 on the altar of house prices if they thought it would help.

I just don't think it will help but admit it won't stop them from doing it anyways.

They already are doing it. Tiff Macklem has already made it extremely clear that near zero interest rates aren't going anywhere and there's even indications that they are going control the yield curve too, essentially allowing runaway inflation which is going to royally fuckup anybody who doesn't own real assets.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Imagine your name being Richard Tiffany and voluntarily going by Tiffany.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

McGavin posted:

Imagine your name being Richard Tiffany and voluntarily going by Tiffany.

I mean, if the alternative is people calling you Dick...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He’s got a Tiff Dick for maintaining our lovely situation :)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

lol

>Be Millennial
>See nothing but war for oil or drugs growing up
>Get out of high school or college right as the housing recession hits
>Can't get a job
>Eventually get a job a couple years later
>Same wages as like 2004
>Scrimp and save as much money to pay back your 9% interest student line of credit/OSAP bill
>Be told for 5-7 years "sorry things are going to be tight around here for the next couple years on account of the recession" never get a raise
>Be good and save money as your parents told you (in a 0.05% savings account from the big banks)
>Learn about high interest savings account (3%)
>Savings now don't degrade with inflation year over year
>Try to jump into the market but you're outpaced every time
>See property values double since 2015
>See interest rates at their lowest
>Housing market still going up up up
>literally punished for not overextending yourself and incurring an insane amount of risk
>COVID hits
>Housing Market still goes up
>Laid off
>Interest rates drop
>Inlaws uncle just bought their 14th property talks about hard work and how landlords are "good honest job"

lol gently caress me what's the point of even trying.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
And people still think it's unreasonable to start threshing the top of the pyramid. Literally.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-dream-will-become-a-nightmare-siddall-says-on-wealth-inequality-151501163.html

quote:

“The problem is promoting home ownership for its own sake, is just inflationary to pricing,” Evan Siddall, the CEO of the CMHC told Yahoo Finance Canada. “We spend a lot of time as a group trying to figure out with our legislation how we could reconcile these things and that was the core idea behind CMHC.”

For younger Canadians who have managed to purchase their first home in recent years, the CMHC is warning about the current risks in the housing market. In its forecasts, the organization warned that house prices could fall between nine and 18 per cent over the next 12 months, which Siddall says would put young first-time home buyers at a disadvantage.

“When the value of one asset outpaces the economic production of an economy, at some point, it has to end,” Siddall said, “The dream will become a nightmare.”

quote:

“We can't make homeownership profitable and make housing affordable at the same time,” Swanson explained, “I think those two things are mutually exclusive they pull in opposite directions.”

Well, everyone just needs to make more money!

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

The feds should just subsidize realtor licensing so we can all be rich

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Make realtors public servants on salary and socialize the commissions into public housing funding.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

You guys aren't thinking big. Helicopter money for everyone's housing purchase. $100k. It will increase demand and the money will trickle down to the poor developers who are just barely scraping by.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Got this in the mailbox of my (rented) apartment today

Looks like investors just buying up as much stuff as they can get, according to this they already got 42!

Not really sure how anyone without family money / venture capital is supposed to buy at this point as housing stock just gets consolidated into fewer and fewer hands

Alctel fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 31, 2020

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Last year my parents got an almost identical note in Hamilton. I guess this is pretty wide spread.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I struggle to think of anything the CMHC has done that hasn't been inflationary to housing prices, at least theoretically. It's basically their mandate. So it's cute that Siddall says all that poo poo but if he really believed it he should resign.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe that’s what they’re teaching at those get rich quick seminars.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Wow that is almost identical eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

maybe its the same ppl who tell you to send a handwritten thank you note after a job interview