Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

JOHN CENA posted:

walk us through why bif was the person you shot after all the hemming and hawing because they were one of the few townreads i had this game (my other townreads rn are capnandy sci and bminus1 rn)

Ok I’ll play ball.

30% self preservation because no one was discussing anything else for hours, and my flip would help no one, and 70% I straight up thought they were scummy.Originally my concern was that I needed to shoot someone who was more likely to be scum than random chance, and that wouldn’t kneecap the flow of conversation.

The gemming and hawing was because I wanted people to feel like they could post their reads without fear of me randomly shooting.

Bif was on my radar since early D1 because they jumped back and forth fairly quickly on the cases of steak and Sci. I originally chalked it up to being jokephase but they explicitly stated that was going to be their posting style this game.

At this point it’s still just conjecture from basically nothing so I put my suspicions aside and try focusing on any other cases because they were posting a bunch and I don’t want to harm town momentum if they were indeed town.

I don’t post anything overnight, and when I wake up I immediately get bombarded with posts telling me how I’m a coward, on the fence, and my reticence to shoot is classically indicative of scum.

I try, multiple times, to brush it off, even state that I won’t shoot anyone until the thread decides it at the end of day, the most town centric decision i can think of so that people just post freely, and suddenly I get three people voting me in rapid succession for the same inane reason:

SolusLunes posted:

ya'll're dumb

anyway

##vote sandnavyguy

shoot or get off the pot, already, I'm sure you've asked enough questions and asked for enough opinions that you can completely distance yourself from any suboptimal outcomes for you

Mr. Humalong posted:

every part of this post stinks except the sng vote

Bifauxnen posted:

Man this vote spread is sad, I'm still happy to vote Sandwolf or Spoonsy but let's

##vote SNG

for now, cause while I was checking VF I noticed that on top of his vig handwringing, SNG hasn't even cast one single vote all day yet

Mr. Steak posted:

anyway ##vote sng until he loving shoots someone

So at this point, what else am I supposed to do? Shoot someone, now.

So then I look at the fact that Bif is being so performative at attacking the guy with a gun, AFTER I tell everyone I won’t shoot, and tries to lead an insurrection lunch. I found that performative. And usually performative=scummy. So I shot them. They’ve been a scum read for me since the beginning, they were the vote leader at the time, and i was upset that they were drilling into me more than just “mild” pressure.

And now everyone’s mad I hit town, and a high level poster at that. I’M mad I shot town, I really thought they were scum. But if people had just WAITED like I asked before forcing my hand I could have seen a better argument and voted someone else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
The hambeet case - OR how i learned to stop posting well and love being scum dad.

Pre-case ramble: I'm not going to lie and say i'm reading the thread closely and constantly thinking about each post. A result of this is that i get feelings about players. I would never act on these feelings without actually looking more deeply into them. One of these raging clue boners is on hambeet - hense i'm going to be a massive nerd and read some poasts.

Comment on the beet style of posting:

hambeet posted:

Hmmmmm 60% chance bif is scum

hambeet posted:

The auspol way!

(65%)

The original series of posts that pinged me (from about page 8 onwards?)

Tommunist posted:

Hambeet loving, living, frolicking through day one with bad fake statistic posts.

##vote hambeet

i put down a vote - i think in retrospect i should have been more concise: what pings me here is that despite the game being decently serious by this point hambeet drifts in and jokingly posts and ups his massive bulging post count. I'll make the argument later on supported by more post but this style of posting by hambeet continues. It feels very familiar and soft. Hambeet is trying to be peoples friends, but theres very little posting going on.

hambeet posted:

gently caress i've been had

hambeet posted:

literally the most i've ever seen you post on day 1. probably in 3 days combined.

why so chatty?

hambeet posted:

not much man what's up with you?

hambeet posted:

yes they do and i've been in games with you recently where that has occurred.

people leaning on meta has always annoyed me and i've tried to argue against it but you really can't do away with meta. so i gave up raging against that metachine.

Notice with this last post its commenting on the game and mafia in general but is only very tangentially related to the game. I'd excuse it if there was included as part of a game so far which was focused on scum hunting and had actual posts but not.

hambeet posted:

let's do an exercise everyone:

imagine, in the very near future, a poster in this game that has been lurching around the thread, day after day, asserting that they know who the scum team are.

they would be shrugging off their earlier wrong calls by citing the added complexity of having two scum teams, but every new read they are just sure of it and they're consistently wrong.

keep imagining that poster. try to clearly visualise their avatar in your head. see it in your minds eye as you scroll down this thread in your imagination.

now, while the image is still clear in your head, vote them, and then come back and check mine to compare.

##vote steak

i think you will be surprised.

Mr. Steak posted:

im literally right though, so how can you fault me?

i'll admit this made me laugh and i think theres an attempt on something here but it feels so wrapped in this layer of joking and non seriousness that hambeet can back off it at anytime because papa lies.

hambeet posted:

on the 'f/m/k' if i had to pick a scum for my team i'd pick b-minus1 after his super strong play in when mods collide (i think? the one with the 11 billion masonries and he was in all of them)

he really impressed me that game and i'll never underestimate him again.

arn't we calling people out for this kind of poo poo?

hambeet posted:

Omg just shoot one of your scum reads from your improbable day 1 lumpen right now.

lmao

hambeet posted:

Maybe B-. His utility as town is arguable, but if he’s scum he’s a powerhouse.

talked about how meta talk annoyed him before but hes sure engaging in a lot of it with b-

hambeet posted:

Man im two for two right not now

so far through my read hes had light shade/accusations on uh...steak

hambeet posted:

Well don’t be scummy sng

and mr navy guy?

hambeet posted:

Lurker day 1 lunches or vigs are fine. Day 3 not so much. There should be better cases by then.

Scum like to argue against lurker lynches early so that they try for townie cred points by defending them and because town lurkers later on are low hanging fruit for them to veer onto.

dad styles

wait..............

hambeet posted:

Omg just shoot one of your scum reads from your improbable day 1 lumpen right now.

hambeet posted:

we all meant shoot a scum. smh

hambeet posted:

the tragedy here is sng is probably town.

there is no way, in a hypothetical sng and i scum team universe, would i let sng gun anyone at this stage and especially not a prolific poster. he might cop a vote or two for holding out till end of day, but at least holding to that principle would be easier to defend against than what has transpired.

This is a really weird ping-y post for me. This is what YOU think should happen. it seems like a logical leap to presume its what everyone else would do - and then you make a read based of it? i feel like you already know what alignment SNG would flip (or most likely, there are 2 mafia teams)

hambeet posted:

to clarify, if i was town vanilla i would have shot by now too at the moment it would have been funniest.

sick nasty

hambeet posted:

i told him he was a big baby if he didn't shoot someone on his improbable day 1 lumpen scum list (which included bif to be fair).

then i said a post later it should be bminus

point in his favour i guess.

hambeet posted:

having just played a game with you as scum i know that you wouldn't knowingly let a team member, especially a newer player to the game, expose themselves too much.

once again weird talk about things that i guess are kinda meta reads.

hambeet posted:

oh man if i had the vig it would have been done and dusted without consulting anyone. regardless if i was town or scum.

hambeet posted:

even the mod is sick of our poo poo.

how rude.

hambeet posted:

sorry it's not relevant to the conversation anymore i just wanted to highlight how bad tommu is. thx

honestly his most hosed post

hambeet posted:

okay bear with me for a second.

everyone is vanilla. even scum.

there are 2 scum teams of 3 each.

if you get a day vig and don't use it, you roll that night for a listed power.

that's it.

this would be ok in isolation but lets be honest its the kinda light non scum hunting but still vaguely mafia-ry post hes been making all day.

IN summery: I don't think humbeet is actually really scum hunting, theres very light reads there but it feels like coasting. its all commenting on mafia as a game or posters in the wider sense of their interaction with mafia as a game, but very little on THIS game.

##vote hambeet

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

hambeet posted:

i'm used to people not reading my posts :qq:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sandnavyguy posted:

Ok I’ll play ball.

30% self preservation because no one was discussing anything else for hours, and my flip would help no one, and 70% I straight up thought they were scummy.Originally my concern was that I needed to shoot someone who was more likely to be scum than random chance, and that wouldn’t kneecap the flow of conversation.

The gemming and hawing was because I wanted people to feel like they could post their reads without fear of me randomly shooting.

Bif was on my radar since early D1 because they jumped back and forth fairly quickly on the cases of steak and Sci. I originally chalked it up to being jokephase but they explicitly stated that was going to be their posting style this game.

At this point it’s still just conjecture from basically nothing so I put my suspicions aside and try focusing on any other cases because they were posting a bunch and I don’t want to harm town momentum if they were indeed town.

I don’t post anything overnight, and when I wake up I immediately get bombarded with posts telling me how I’m a coward, on the fence, and my reticence to shoot is classically indicative of scum.

I try, multiple times, to brush it off, even state that I won’t shoot anyone until the thread decides it at the end of day, the most town centric decision i can think of so that people just post freely, and suddenly I get three people voting me in rapid succession for the same inane reason:

So then I look at the fact that Bif is being so performative at attacking the guy with a gun, AFTER I tell everyone I won’t shoot, and tries to lead an insurrection lunch. I found that performative. And usually performative=scummy. So I shot them. They’ve been a scum read for me since the beginning, they were the vote leader at the time, and i was upset that they were drilling into me more than just “mild” pressure.

And now everyone’s mad I hit town, and a high level poster at that. I’M mad I shot town, I really thought they were scum. But if people had just WAITED like I asked before forcing my hand I could have seen a better argument and voted someone else instead.

once again, people aren't mad that you hit town (and nobody is mad it was just a really poor choice with so many other candidates available. look at you're own post!) its that you chose someone who of all the people posting wasn't coming off that scummy. like, why not shoot humalong? or solus, their posts were way worse and if they would have died and flipped town there probably wouldn't have been as much bee balling on you. it came off really badly, like you were angling to not shoot to get a night power and got your hand caught in the cookie jar for it. then you shoot of the people that were voting for you, the one who has probably been one of the easier town reads of the game. the flip had nothing to do with me voting for you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hell if you would have shot me sng there probably wouldnt be a vote on you even after my flip

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Yeah I’m starting to understand that. Basically all I can say is that I thought they were scummy which was wrong. Heck, I wasn’t lying, if you stick with your plan it probably would work best to shoot right out the gate. The snark was a bit harsh, but ultimately I’m not a PR so my death isn’t the end of the world it’ll just be a wasted flip.

The reason I’m voting you is not so much omgus as it is I already had you as scum from before, and your other competition for my vote just got shot.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Also I really think the night power is a trap, at least for town. They just aren’t good enough to justify drawing in 2 separate scum teams

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

And survivor is straight up the bowser option in Mario party.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

why the gently caress is tommu making cases

this year is so hosed

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna make dinner and play final fantasy 3.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sandnavyguy posted:

30% self preservation because no one was discussing anything else for hours, and my flip would help no one, and 70% I straight up thought they were scummy.

Gonna be real, I was hoping this would be higher on the self-preservation side because that's how it's reading to me.

I don't want to vote SNG today primarily because:
1. If I'm a pretty new player immediately under pressure to use a public dayvig as scum, I'm 100% going to consult with my scumbuddies about who looks like the best target to them.
2. If I'm scum with someone who has a public dayvig, I'm going to be giving them a suggested target unprompted in private even if I'm not saying anything about the shot target in the thread.

I have a really hard time seeing someone who's talked over who they shoot in private thinking the move is to shoot bifauxnen here. I don't think you ever get to the reverse-psychology point of "I'm going to shoot bifauxnen because of [Pecota's exact train of thought here]" in a game with two scumteams where you have a real chance of hitting the other scumteam and immediately get half-cleared. All poo poo about lurkers (in a game with anti-lurker mechanics built-in) aside, SNG's suspicion of bif doesn't read as fake to me even if I didn't agree with it. Maybe somewhat forced, but "forcing it as someone put on the spot D1" more than "forcing it as scum"

JOHN CENA posted:

its just a shoot list. i am operating under transparency because someone claimed that my intentions to fire off my gun if i get one asap is an attempt to stifle gameplay and conversation, which definitely isn't the intent. does it happen to be a list of who i suspect? yes. is it a list of who i would lunch? mostly yes. am i going to make different lists? no i don't care enough to. ive mentioned who i townread thats more or less consistent (gut tells me you're town but game setup makes me wary but then again you've had a long layoff and theres lots of new blood so its v possible you werent picked, which is why u have been downshifted on list)

A shoot list is a quarter of a Lumpenlist, that's really the whole picture there. Surprised that's what you say moved me down and not my suspicion of Hal who you moved up, I thought that's what must have been the case

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

Gonna be real, I was hoping this would be higher on the self-preservation side because that's how it's reading to me.

I don't want to vote SNG today primarily because:
1. If I'm a pretty new player immediately under pressure to use a public dayvig as scum, I'm 100% going to consult with my scumbuddies about who looks like the best target to them.
2. If I'm scum with someone who has a public dayvig, I'm going to be giving them a suggested target unprompted in private even if I'm not saying anything about the shot target in the thread.

I have a really hard time seeing someone who's talked over who they shoot in private thinking the move is to shoot bifauxnen here. I don't think you ever get to the reverse-psychology point of "I'm going to shoot bifauxnen because of [Pecota's exact train of thought here]" in a game with two scumteams where you have a real chance of hitting the other scumteam and immediately get half-cleared. All poo poo about lurkers (in a game with anti-lurker mechanics built-in) aside, SNG's suspicion of bif doesn't read as fake to me even if I didn't agree with it. Maybe somewhat forced, but "forcing it as someone put on the spot D1" more than "forcing it as scum"

I could see a team being afraid of Bif and telling the new guy to shoot her and try to ride it out as "well shucks I thought she was scum trying to push me"

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

The hambeet case - OR how i learned to stop posting well and love being scum dad.

Pre-case ramble: I'm not going to lie and say i'm reading the thread closely and constantly thinking about each post. A result of this is that i get feelings about players. I would never act on these feelings without actually looking more deeply into them. One of these raging clue boners is on hambeet - hense i'm going to be a massive nerd and read some poasts.

Comment on the beet style of posting:

The original series of posts that pinged me (from about page 8 onwards?)

i put down a vote - i think in retrospect i should have been more concise: what pings me here is that despite the game being decently serious by this point hambeet drifts in and jokingly posts and ups his massive bulging post count. I'll make the argument later on supported by more post but this style of posting by hambeet continues. It feels very familiar and soft. Hambeet is trying to be peoples friends, but theres very little posting going on.

Notice with this last post its commenting on the game and mafia in general but is only very tangentially related to the game. I'd excuse it if there was included as part of a game so far which was focused on scum hunting and had actual posts but not.

i'll admit this made me laugh and i think theres an attempt on something here but it feels so wrapped in this layer of joking and non seriousness that hambeet can back off it at anytime because papa lies.

arn't we calling people out for this kind of poo poo?

lmao

talked about how meta talk annoyed him before but hes sure engaging in a lot of it with b-

so far through my read hes had light shade/accusations on uh...steak

and mr navy guy?

wait..............

This is a really weird ping-y post for me. This is what YOU think should happen. it seems like a logical leap to presume its what everyone else would do - and then you make a read based of it? i feel like you already know what alignment SNG would flip (or most likely, there are 2 mafia teams)

sick nasty

point in his favour i guess.

once again weird talk about things that i guess are kinda meta reads.

honestly his most hosed post

this would be ok in isolation but lets be honest its the kinda light non scum hunting but still vaguely mafia-ry post hes been making all day.

IN summery: I don't think humbeet is actually really scum hunting, theres very light reads there but it feels like coasting. its all commenting on mafia as a game or posters in the wider sense of their interaction with mafia as a game, but very little on THIS game.

##vote hambeet

since when did you start playing mafia?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

A shoot list is a quarter of a Lumpenlist, that's really the whole picture there. Surprised that's what you say moved me down and not my suspicion of Hal who you moved up, I thought that's what must have been the case

it certainly helped and made me reassess my thoughts of you this game, and it helped lead to me reevaluating my initial suspicions. honestly you're even lower than where i put you but i dont really want to go through the effort of ranking everyone in this big dumb game.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I could see a team being afraid of Bif and telling the new guy to shoot her and try to ride it out as "well shucks I thought she was scum trying to push me"

this makes me want to ##unvote.

i will begrudgingly be back after i've finished cooking and eating dinner. im going to re evaluate then i will vote, then i will play final fantasy 3 until either im dead or its a new day.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

"look at me, i'm tommu, i'll build a case based on hambeets literal first few joke posts, i'll ignore the post where beet says he 'gave up on raging against meta' and then highlight how he uses meta hurrrrrr. i'll also ignore his catch on hal because he's my scum bud hurrrrrrr"

summary :itwaspoo:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lastly, one of the things that bug me, while i like PoP's defense of sng, i really don't like sandwolf's defense of "hey shut up". im not likely voting in sandwolf's direction but should sng flip scum if he's lunched/i get a gun and i shoot him, i am 100% going after sandwolf next, full tunnel.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

imagine making a day 1 case like that.

just imagine

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

hambeet posted:

"look at me, i'm tommu, i'll build a case based on hambeets literal first few joke posts, i'll ignore the post where beet says he 'gave up on raging against meta' and then highlight how he uses meta hurrrrrr. i'll also ignore his catch on hal because he's my scum bud hurrrrrrr"

summary :itwaspoo:

Ur poo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr. Humalong posted:

what else would your hypothetical scum team do hmmmalong?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's agreed then, we'll lynch sng

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

:love:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

t a s t e posted:

It's agreed then, we'll lynch sng

there is more happening today.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

why the gently caress is tommu making cases

this year is so hosed

Kiss me on the lips

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Ok im going to go pass out

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hambeet posted:

there is more happening today.

even still, happy for your support on this

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Mr. Humalong posted:

idk I killed the SK with my day 1 vig, maybe they're only useful in the properly skilled hands

I shot scum D1 with my one and only vig I have ever had.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

sandnavyguy posted:

Ok I’ll play ball.

Imo I don’t like that ratio you posted. You cite pressure in the form of 3 actual votes against you when it takes 11 to lunch AND a rapid lunch a day and a half before deadline would be way too suspicious to sell after the fact by any one. I think the better option would have been to just walk away from the thread and come back later, then genuinely post any reads you get from the continued dogging. The idea that you had no other options when you had the most power in the situation is foolish.

I’m leaning more and more towards scum who may have been feeling other pressures, namely the rest of their scum team. Especially with the repeated “everyone’s just mad I killed town!!!” When multiple people cited other reasons.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

t a s t e posted:

even still, happy for your support on this

i'll always support you both emotionally and mentally.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

but i think the princess is in another castle

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Sandwolf posted:

Bif was attacking them tbh I think it makes sense not from a townie perspective but from a personal (SNG) perspective

I also thought Bif would flip scum so I didn’t see anything wrong with it tbh

The most literal form of OMGUS there could be. Bif was making decent points and effort in a sea of mafia players, and was obviously going to be an issue for scum.

sandnavyguy posted:

what I’m saying is that town or not Bif’s suggestion is laughably in favor of scum. Can anyone argue why it WOULD be a good idea to waste a shot on a non poster?

I can, yes. And it's been said. Scum tend to spread out among posting levels, High medium and low volume. Without fail.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

taste, dkg what do you think about my hal post?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

awkward phrasing I suppose but I think the instinct is natural

not null but wouldn't vote alone

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hal, taste scum team.

ha ha look at me i'm mr steak.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

hambeet posted:

what else would your hypothetical scum team do hmmmalong?

definitely not pick me but for sure hope i get heat early

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Tommunist posted:

Kiss me on the lips

:lovebird:

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

hambeet posted:

hal, taste scum team.

ha ha look at me i'm mr steak.

I would agree that Hal is scummy, and likely scum with his reputation. I don't see how he would be undrafted and left a free agent.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Oh poo poo I forgot Humalong was in this game

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

hambeet posted:

wow humalong is in this game?

DGK2000 posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot Humalong was in this game

:goofy:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

coordinated slam

Adbot