Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm thinking about playing a Dark Soul to train myself to be gud at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve only played the tutorial of W2 but it is levels of magnitude clunkier. I started on Normal and the game switched me to Easy and Im okay with that. It’s not fun getting gated by combat challenge in these games.

The combat in Witcher 2 gets significantly easier outside of the tutorial and prologue for what it's worth.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The combat in Witcher 1 is this bizarre, clunky, click-in-rhythm deal that kind of defies explanation, except that it sucks really bad.

W2 is like a beta version of W3's combat system; it has the same basic skeleton, but everything's quite a bit clunkier and unrefined.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Witcher two has the best combat in the series. Much more focused on planning and positioning.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve only played the tutorial of W2 but it is levels of magnitude clunkier. I started on Normal and the game switched me to Easy and Im okay with that. It’s not fun getting gated by combat challenge in these games.

I’d say between rear end Creed and Dark Souls is dead on. I’d put AssCreed combat down as the 50th percentile average game combat. W3 is better than AssCreed. W2 is worse.

The later generation rear end Creed games (Origins and Odyssey) basically use W3's combat system, with the same style of lock-on targeting, dodge/roll, heavy/light attacks etc. It's a huge improvement on earlier generation games like Unity and Syndicate where you can pretty much just mash counter-attack the entire game and one-shot kill everybody.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yea even in the books Geralt hates long, drawn out fights. If he can't finish a fight quickly, he would rather avoid them, or set a trap. That's why the game forces you to study your opponents beforehand and apply oils, potions, consumables ect. The meat of the game is in the prep work, not the fight itself. Fights in the Witcher 3 are meant to be relatively quick affairs and decidedly in Geralt's favor.

monster hunter ruined me, i played with all the hud poo poo off and was happily fighting enemies 20+ levels above me because i couldn't tell their relative strength. but that was fine, because fighting a cockatrice for 20-30 minutes with quen up constantly to prevent getting one-shotted just felt like another day another rathalos

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the second 5 hour joseph anderson witcher video is out and he argues very convincingly why the combat in witcher 2 is awful

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
heres the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htYR2GdA7OE

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

scary ghost dog posted:

the second 5 hour joseph anderson witcher video

:catstare:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You could read the entire first story collection instead of watching that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You could read the entire first story collection instead of watching that.

you should read all of the books before playing any of the games, imo.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

OK - I'm asking this honestly for anyone who has watched this. Why ~the gently caress~ would anyone watch a ~5 hour~ review of a video game.
If it's a game review, then any longer than 20 minutes is wasting time that they could just spend on playing games.
If it's an in-depth analysis, then why does he start with a bit about his life instead of an outline and a definition of his critique.
How does this have views????

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Joseph Anderson has insights but he also has a serious case of OCD so I find it entertaining when he goes all in on a subject.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Literally Esoteric posted:

OK - I'm asking this honestly for anyone who has watched this. Why ~the gently caress~ would anyone watch a ~5 hour~ review of a video game.
If it's a game review, then any longer than 20 minutes is wasting time that they could just spend on playing games.
If it's an in-depth analysis, then why does he start with a bit about his life instead of an outline and a definition of his critique.

I could happily watch a five hour Let's Play from a skilled player (albeit not in one sitting) who's also really great at explaining what they're doing and why. But a five hour video critique or review just seems nuts.

That said, I'm currently reading through an exhaustively long blog series about realism in Lord of the Rings (specifically contrasting the books and the films), so what the hell do I know :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
ACOUP is brilliant and I hope he does a series contrasting the various depictions of The Witcher.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

well, you dont have to watch it all at once, for one. i watched the first two hours while working out and was both entertained and critically engaged. plus, theres a severe lack of witcher discussion from people who have read the books, so his perspective is unique in that regard. all that said, this style of video has a very specific demographic that i happen to land in so i understand why youre dismissive of it but its definitely more entertaining to me than, say, watching a streamer play a strategy game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

scary ghost dog posted:

its definitely more entertaining to me than, say, watching a streamer play a strategy game

Spoken like someone who has never watched Jon from Many a True Nerd play a Total War campaign.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory
Well, fair enough. It's not like I didn't just spend 3 hours on imgur and the forums here.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

You watch it to get inordinately angry at his inability to understand basic concepts and themes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Namnesor posted:

The combat in Witcher 1 is this bizarre, clunky, click-in-rhythm deal that kind of defies explanation, except that it sucks really bad.

W2 is like a beta version of W3's combat system; it has the same basic skeleton, but everything's quite a bit clunkier and unrefined.

The biggest problem with Witcher 1 combat is that it's more RPG dice-rolley than it first appears. You can do a bunch of flips and pirouettes to try and dodge attacks, but enemies will still hit you, even when it looks like they're stun-locked or out of range. Conversely, some enemies can stun-lock you and kill you with no recourse.

I remember thinking I was being super agile and avoiding all damage, yet still dying in a matter of seconds. Eventually I noticed the small damage numbers popping up over my head indicating that I was being hit, despite it looking like I was deftly spinning out of the way of every claw swipe or sword strike. It kinda reminds me of KotOR in that regard, which is actually a rather apt comparison, as KotOR and Neverwinter (whose engine W1 is built upon) were both developed by Bioware.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I play Witcher 1 to completion about once a year, and while it’s different, I still really enjoy the combat. Same for W2. They’re weird games control wise sometimes, but to me they always feel super fluid and fun to control.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TW1 combat got a lot more manageable once I realised how busted Igni was.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JA: there are some of you probably only realising now watching this after playing the game that there are secret unlockable skills you get for progressing the game and doing certain actions

Me :catstare:

I love W2, but drat. drat.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I guess we know who has all the money for huge screens and high resolutions. Those notifications are way easier to spot than literally any of the QTEs.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

scary ghost dog posted:

you should read all of the books before playing any of the games, imo.

I didn't even read them before making them

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Well, I expect by now that you’ve read them all in the original Polish to atone for that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

theyre really good

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Spoken like someone who has never watched Jon from Many a True Nerd play a Total War campaign.

Or Crusader Kings II. Hello, fellow MATN fan.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Or Crusader Kings II. Hello, fellow MATN fan.

yeah you guys should have no problem watching a well-scripted 5-hour breakdown of the minutiae of the witcher 2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jokes on you, I already have!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Just checking in to say I will not be reading the books but I played the third game and enjoyed it a lot

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Time posted:

Just checking in to say I will not be reading the books but I played the third game and enjoyed it a lot

My first Witcher exposure was also Witcher 3. I'm reading the books now. They're good. You should read them.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Look Sir Droids posted:

My first Witcher exposure was also Witcher 3. I'm reading the books now. They're good. You should read them.

no thanks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Time posted:

no thanks

what if i told you they were really good?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I thought the witcher 2's combat was fine and actually forced me to play smart and prep instead of hack through it. I found it easier to play on the harder mode so I wouldn't get sloppy.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I just got to where Geralt meets Regis in the books. :allears:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just got to where Geralt meets Regis in the books. :allears:

lol regis is the character that transforms the books into a princess bride-esque pastiche

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the chapter where regis talks about being drunk on blood and going for a fly into town to get some more blood only to crash into a well lmao

edit: dont read that its in the next book

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

scary ghost dog posted:

the chapter where regis talks about being drunk on blood and going for a fly into town to get some more blood only to crash into a well lmao

edit: dont read that its in the next book

What? No it's not. It's in the chapter when Geralt finds out he's a vampire so he confesses about his blood alcoholism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

What? No it's not. It's in the chapter when Geralt finds out he's a vampire so he confesses about his blood alcoholism.

i know im just lolling about regis in general....unless im misremembering where baptism of fire ends which is also possible