Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's a nice, unique game but it helps to see it as a contemplative idle builder you can leave open in a window in the background

Replenishing your powers take a lot of time and there's no right or wrong way to play it. Just letting new species immigrate, watch them strive or die. Then later you build small "habitats" separated by high walls and experiment with different species in different habitats, trying to see where they prosper, and with what other species.

I still love to come back to it and I wish there were more games like this.
I have a bunch of requests in this thread for ecosystem simulators so you kind of nailed this one for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I have a bunch of requests in this thread for ecosystem simulators so you kind of nailed this one for me.

I asked the thread for the same but didn't get any interesting leads :(

If you like ecosystem simulators, you HAVE to check Waking Mars too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Ff2J5Vs3g

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I'm playing The Messenger and loving it. Think original Ninja Gaiden with some Metroidvania elements.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yo, what's a good keyboard-only game for when you're on a short trip and forgot/didn't bring a mouse for the work laptop because you thought you wouldn't need it but there's a lot more spare time than expected?

This is a really specific question, but it keeps happening to me, I can't be the only one.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yo, what's a good keyboard-only game for when you're on a short trip and forgot/didn't bring a mouse for the work laptop because you thought you wouldn't need it but there's a lot more spare time than expected?

This is a really specific question, but it keeps happening to me, I can't be the only one.

Cook, serve, delicious
One finger death punch

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
How do you feel about interactive fiction (IF)? It's still a thing and modern games can be really good. All you need is the free Inform interpreter and the game data.

I haven't played in awhile, but I can recommend Lost Pig, Spider and Web, and Counterfeit Monkey.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How do you feel about interactive fiction (IF)? It's still a thing and modern games can be really good. All you need is the free Inform interpreter and the game data.

I haven't played in awhile, but I can recommend Lost Pig, Spider and Web, and Counterfeit Monkey.

IF is neat, but I'd probably just grab my kindle in that case.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

If you like puzzle games; Baba is you

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Phoenix Wright Trilogy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Assuming you have a trackpad for some minor menuing, Rogue Legacy or most other platformers

e: Nethack :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most 2D platformers, especially ones that would be comfortable with just using the D-Pad if you were on a controller. Thomas Was Alone, Shovel Knight, Spelunky, or the infinite possibilities if you use an emulator to play gameboy/snes/nes/genesis games.

Also: Luftrausers, Westerado, Kingdom, Solar 2, and Party Hard.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Splicer posted:

e: Nethack :v:
You joke, but that actually sounds good! I'm a DCSS fan but haven't played since they changed the way mutations work.

Also thanks for the other recommendations, Baba is You is something I've been meaning to try and Cook Serve Delicious looks weirdly satisfying. Had no idea it was a keyboard only game.

I'm real bad at platformers, are any of those relatively easy?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You could check out Hero Core (it's free so no loss trying), it's a Metroidvania without platforming since you fly around, and its mechanics are pretty good for short sessions (you can freely teleport to any save point you've come across at any time if you need to stop suddenly for IRL stuff)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You joke, but that actually sounds good! I'm a DCSS fan but haven't played since they changed the way mutations work.
In that case I'm going to mention Doom the Roguelike and I think Crypt of the Necrodancer is just keyboard. I've heard good things about Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead but not really played it myself.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Crypt of the Necrodancer is the boss answer for this question.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
P. sure people have played and beaten Crypt of the Necrodancer with a dance mat, you really only need the arrow keys for that game

edit: plus an "Enter" and "Exit" key for menus, i guess

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
DOOM RL is really very good

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Dungeonmans is drat good and can be played entirely with keyboard, pretty sure.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

What are some first/third person games where you can wield a spear?

Morrowind is a given, of course, but lately I've just noticed soooo many games prefer sword/axe/bow but Spears are, historically, probably far more widely used than all of those just because reach is so damned important.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

khy posted:

Morrowind is a given, of course, but lately I've just noticed soooo many games prefer sword/axe/bow but Spears are, historically, probably far more widely used than all of those just because reach is so damned important.

Horizon Zero Dawn and almost every Dynasty Warriors game, but in both cases the devs take the lazy way out and make them mostly just behave like slashing weapons.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

khy posted:

Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

khy posted:

Mount and Blade gets it right

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

khy posted:

Nier: Automata
most Monster Hunter types

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

khy posted:

Are you me? I have treated my friends to many a rant about how underrepresented the spear is in media when its basically the only melee weapon that *still* posses some slight form of presence via bayonets.

Anyway if you want good spear action, Far Cry Primal is great for it. Also good for slings!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

khy posted:

I remember being pissed when Oblivion removed the spear and medium armor since my favorite character from Morrowind specialized in them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The lance in Monster Hunter World is loving dope. It has a very unique combat rhythm and feels nothing at all like the slashing or blunt weapons. It's a criminally underappreciated weapon (roughly 2% of players use it) and I will never shut the gently caress up about great it is in the Monster Hunter thread.

It's specifically a lance and bigass shield. The game's little introduction video games it look like a very slow step-and-poke-and-turtle weapon, but it becomes one of the most mobile and aggressive weapons in the game once you learn its more advanced movement options. You can switch almost instantly between offense and defense (including defensive counterattacks) and it feels badass.

That said, the combat in MHW is all against giant lizards and poo poo, so if you're looking for more of a human combat fighting game, then yeah, something like Mount & Blade would work better.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Metal Gear Survive actually makes use of the spears poking power as an advantage over the rest of the melee weapons.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 16, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

khy posted:

My favorite is Kirby's Return to Dreamland, but there's also Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

The thing about spears in a historic context is that they're not that great for single combat, which is what most games tend to be. The first Dark Souls can really give you the feel of hiding behind a shield and poking out at your enemy while keeping your distance, which is probably the most realistic you're gonna get. AC: O also is pretty pokey.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Gothic is a really good yet short and streamlined open world 3d rpg with keyboard only controls. You start the game out as a weakling/nobody and when you get powerful your really feel like you earn it. The game also has a bit of an immersive sim feeling to it, since you can use the systems in the games come up with creative ways to achieve your goals. When I first played it I was like "whoa, this is like someone read a thread of nerds listing what they wished open world RPGs would do and actually did it."

I think it took me about 20 hours to get through the game while doing most of the side quests, but it kind of gets old in the end. It's a game I would recommend to almost everyone, but I wouldn't really recommend playing it to completion. Most people think Gothic 2 is better but I think it's one of those "bigger and better" sequels that actually ends ups being kind of less focused and worse.

Pushy Cat
Jun 24, 2016

khy posted:

spears ftw. vermintide ii newest dlc gave kruber a sweet spear.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

khy posted:

Nioh 1 and 2 have pretty good spears with a fancy moveset and they have good range and crowd control. Also you get to be a demon slaying samurai.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

khy posted:

You got a good point there [huhuhuh]!

Mordhau is a first person medieval game, it is mainly multiplayer tho, but it has not just one, but TWO spears. Three if you count the throwing spears. Become a menace on the public servers with the long stabby reach of the longspear, or hide behind a shield and really get people mad with the short spear!

Oh, and one of the viking classes comes equipped with a spear in Pirates Vikings and Knights 2. It is a free fps game where the aforementioned three factions fight each other over treasures.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just finished Axiom Verge, and I'd like more games where the designers were confident enough to lie to your face -- not just to have characters who are obviously acting deceitful, but where the player is fed straight bullshit and later narrative and gameplay gradually reveals it, ideally requiring that you think and cross-reference things to even realize it's happening.

The Void or ECHO would also be solid examples, but I've already played both of them.

It doesn't have to be the same genre but I do really like Metroidvanias and the kind of dismal, lonely sci-fi vibe Axiom Verge and ECHO have, so other games in either or both of those genres would be great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just finished Axiom Verge, and I'd like more games where the designers were confident enough to lie to your face -- not just to have characters who are obviously acting deceitful, but where the player is fed straight bullshit and later narrative and gameplay gradually reveals it, ideally requiring that you think and cross-reference things to even realize it's happening.

The Void or ECHO would also be solid examples, but I've already played both of them.

It doesn't have to be the same genre but I do really like Metroidvanias and the kind of dismal, lonely sci-fi vibe Axiom Verge and ECHO have, so other games in either or both of those genres would be great.

Have you played the Beginner's Guide?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you played the Beginner's Guide?

I have, yeah.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Last time I came to this thread y’all didn’t lead me down a wrong road, so I come again asking for recommendations for the mood I am in:

Something sci-fi that’s more story-based/adventure-based. Caveat: I don’t like adventure game logic so it can’t have much of that. I don’t want to play the game with a guide open because the puzzles are so obtuse. A little bit of combat is fine but would prefer it isn’t the main aspect of the game.

Also my computer runs like poo poo and I’m poor and can’t get a new one, so no games that are technically demanding.

Thanks in advance!!!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Check out Space Pilgrim Episode I. If you like that, episodes II-IV are of similar quality. There's a Space Pilgrim Academy series as well, but I haven't got around to playing it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Last time I came to this thread y’all didn’t lead me down a wrong road, so I come again asking for recommendations for the mood I am in:

Something sci-fi that’s more story-based/adventure-based. Caveat: I don’t like adventure game logic so it can’t have much of that. I don’t want to play the game with a guide open because the puzzles are so obtuse. A little bit of combat is fine but would prefer it isn’t the main aspect of the game.

Also my computer runs like poo poo and I’m poor and can’t get a new one, so no games that are technically demanding.

Thanks in advance!!!!

SOMA is a sci fi horror game that fits your requirements

Though I don't personally like it, Outer Wilds is a beautiful game of exploration and mystery solving with a space ship. No combat, just exploring and charming dialog and visuals.

I hear No Man's Sky is actually pretty good now, but might be too demanding graphically.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Thanks in advance!!!!

Outer Wilds is pretty close to what you're looking for. I think I only had to look up one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

Gothic is a really good yet short and streamlined open world 3d rpg with keyboard only controls. You start the game out as a weakling/nobody and when you get powerful your really feel like you earn it. The game also has a bit of an immersive sim feeling to it, since you can use the systems in the games come up with creative ways to achieve your goals. When I first played it I was like "whoa, this is like someone read a thread of nerds listing what they wished open world RPGs would do and actually did it."

I think it took me about 20 hours to get through the game while doing most of the side quests, but it kind of gets old in the end. It's a game I would recommend to almost everyone, but I wouldn't really recommend playing it to completion. Most people think Gothic 2 is better but I think it's one of those "bigger and better" sequels that actually ends ups being kind of less focused and worse.

Same controls as Gothic 2? I really liked that game, although I hosed around with the controls until it worked (sort of) with mouse and keyboard. Don't think I ever tried playing it keyboard only :v: