Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The funny thing to think about is how wages and everything haven't kept up with the housing market at all and more and more of everyone's finance is going toward paying either rent or mortgage - leading to less and less money being spent in the economy which then makes wages depress even more because people have to pinch pennies more and more and save as much as possible (with horrible interest rates trying to get people to spend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Have you considered becoming a devloper?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Femtosecond posted:

10 years ago working class hoods like Grandview Woodlands and Strathcona were places where students and young workers could rent a house for cheap, and these neighbourhoods were great and vibrant for renters but jump ahead to now, post bubble, and houses in GW have been turned over and are occupied by the Dunbar Diaspora, rich west siders that sold their homes to hot asian money, pocketed a few mil' then bought relatively cheap SFHs in East Van. Now they're trying to keep Grandview Woodlands as an exclusive SFH zone for rich people just the way that Dunbar was. Same poo poo is going on in Strathcona though I think that gentrification process has been going on even longer.

Working class progressives in GW that are still lucky enough to be renting full houses in GW are just trying to hold onto what they have, and oppose any new development that they think may displace them, but they're hosed either way. It's only a matter of time before their landlord sells the house out from under them and it goes from being the residence of 3-4 low income renters to a single yuppy family.

What's the worse long term outcome here, developers are able to build apartments and there is at least some ability for working class people to remain in the neighbourhood, or GW becomes an elite SFH 'hood like Dunbar and working class people are scattered to the wind?

The drive will never give in to developing any sort of densified housing and it will be the end of them.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

half cocaine posted:

Have you considered becoming a devloper?

lol funny you mention that - tech hotspots in Canada are only there because labour is cheaper there than in the states. Wages haven't even kept up in the dev world.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Slotducks posted:

lol funny you mention that - tech hotspots in Canada are only there because labour is cheaper there than in the states. Wages haven't even kept up in the dev world.

Housing developer not software developer. :rolleyes:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

Globe and Mail doesn't have any foreign buyer stuff to report on any more, so they're increasingly publishing concern trolling pieces about new Vancouver developments.

How About We Just Don't Do Anything?
A continuing series on Vancouver's housing and affordability crisis by the Globe & Mail, part 701

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Slotducks posted:

The funny thing to think about is how wages and everything haven't kept up with the housing market at all and more and more of everyone's finance is going toward paying either rent or mortgage - leading to less and less money being spent in the economy which then makes wages depress even more because people have to pinch pennies more and more and save as much as possible (with horrible interest rates trying to get people to spend)

Despite this reality, the real-estate pumpers say, there is no reason why housing prices would ever come back to earth, because of reasons. Number cannot fail, it can only be failed.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
No, you've got it all backwards, people aren't pinching pennies to afford houses. They're using the inflated values that occur year after year of their properties to leverage themselves into more and more debt, either by buying investment properties or by renovating their current property. It's a giant house of cards.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If the housing debt bubble is a house of cards, everything about the government response reaction has been a big signal to everyone that: "relax, we are doing everything we can to ensure this house of cards doesn't collapse." Interest rates have dropped and there is absolutely zero way that they're going up any time soon.

Giant signal from the government: Buy assets. Accumulate cheap Debt. Get in.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

somehow I think the only barriers they'll put in to "help the 'supposed' housing crisis" would be measures that sound good on paper but either a) completely gently caress over first time buyers or b) are completely loving useless in 2020

Like the RSP first time buyers thing. Mother fucker I wasn't contributing to an RSP I was paying back the loving 9% student loan you gave me when I was 17.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
BIL just bought a condo in North York, 900sqft for $700k. cool cool...

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I predict the upper bound for the canadian housing bubble is when immigrants (the ones who want to work and pay taxes) take a look at vancouver and toronto housing prices and are like nah thx I'm good and proceed to move to America instead.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

half cocaine posted:

I predict the upper bound for the canadian housing bubble is when immigrants (the ones who want to work and pay taxes) take a look at vancouver and toronto housing prices and are like nah thx I'm good and proceed to move to America instead.

Moving to America is not easy, even with the right skills. Compared to Canada where if you have a relevant masters degree and foreign work experience you can get PR approved without having ever stepped foot in the country. Source: me, a developer immigrant who acquired PR without stepping foot in the country.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Like it sounds kinda funny but it's actually easier to get work in America by first getting PR in Canada, working for 3 years in Canada, getting citizenship then going to America for the big bucks on a NAFTA visa.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

qhat posted:

Like it sounds kinda funny but it's actually easier to get work in America by first getting PR in Canada, working for 3 years in Canada, getting citizenship then going to America for the big bucks on a NAFTA visa.

Isn't this literally why all the tech companies are setting up shop in Vancouver?

Seems a lot more reliable than the H-1B process.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I received independant verification that something was awefully amiss when a guy who graduated from the advanced GIS program @ BCIT with my wife hit me up on facebook. He was cold calling, to let me know he was working as a mortgage broker, and asked me to get in touch if I'm looking to buy a house. poo poo man, GIS skills and know how are actually a field that seemed to be in demand. Fucckit, I'ma go sling some debt!

Edit to ask: When was Joe Flaherty finance minister? I've been lurking here since then. I can wait a bit longer. Got a RESP to contribute to now.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 8, 2020

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Isn't this literally why all the tech companies are setting up shop in Vancouver?

That and also if you work for 18 months at an American subsidiary, you become eligible for L1B which is the same as H1B but has no quota. Vancouver has lots of immigrants willing to work immediately below the border.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

This is definitely why they started (you can dig up old articles about MSFT's office in Richmond that explicitly say this), but at this point they've pivoted away from that into opening normal offices here due to a combination of:

1) Enough decent workers that like Canada for lifestyle reasons and have no real interest in going to Silicon Valley suburban hellhole.
2) Canadian wages are relatively cheaper plus cheap cad dollar = big savings.
3) Same time zone.

It's a win/win all around.

USD big corps get cheap labour and Canadians are able to make relatively great 6 figure salaries and get sweet sweet AMZN/MSFT RSUs without having to leave home.

Yes they don't get the absurd USD salaries they'd get in Seattle or SV, but they also don't have to expose themselves to the more negative parts of living in the USA.

Not a bad compromise.

Icing on the cake is that workers can eventually move to the US mothership office if they want too.

Since the early days of Microsoft opening up an office in Richmond purely has a holding tank for foreigners waiting on US visas, things have changed a lot. Amazon has opened a very significant presence, and Microsoft has pivoted into creating a "real" office in Vancouver and have massively expanded it. This includes both their Xbox Coalition Gears of War studio and a normal Microsoft office.

Pre-pandemic Amazon and Apple were planning significant new office space ventures in Vancouver. Not sure what the pandemic means for that now.

Anyway this trend is a significant input that will keep the housing prices aloft. When this thread was started you could legit pose the question of who was capable of buying at these prices, given that Vancouver wages were so low, but reality has caught up with the bubble. There are now a lot more Vancouverites out there with 6 figure tech jobs that can legit afford pricy Vancouver housing.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 8, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don't need to get Canadian citizenship, just work for a year (net of time spent in the US) and get an L1-A or -B depending on your role. Netscape did it for me in 1998, I did it for people at Mozilla in 2008, a friend just had Google do it for them in 2018. Story as old as time.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Microsoft is making a huge play for SaaS in the weed industry, so I'd imagine the Vancouver office is a useful place to grab them dollars in a place where it's not, you know, federally illegal.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Is weed in contango?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/bloombergca/status/1293529685884907521?s=21
I guess this is something.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

What's the business model in insuring subprime mortgages in the case of a crash? Just declare bankruptcy and tell everyone "lol, sorry"?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

What's the business model in insuring subprime mortgages in the case of a crash? Just declare bankruptcy and tell everyone "lol, sorry"?

The business model is relying on the federal government to bail out an industry that's too big to fail and a middle class that's growing at record speed.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You can only bailout so much until the federal government is quite literally buying houses.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qhat posted:

You can only bailout so much until the federal government is quite literally buying houses.

Or hotels!

B.C. taxpayers Canada’s biggest hotel buyers
The B.C. government accounted for one-third of the sales and more than half the dollar volume in Canada hotel transactions during the second quarter

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I mean poo poo they already nationalised the Canadian bond market, it might not be long before BoC has a whole bunch of houses on their balances sheets whether they want them or not.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Sassafras posted:

Or hotels!

B.C. taxpayers Canada’s biggest hotel buyers
The B.C. government accounted for one-third of the sales and more than half the dollar volume in Canada hotel transactions during the second quarter

BC isn't bailing out the hotel industry. They're trying to backfill emergency housing stock with hotels that are already built and able to reasonably quickly take people.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

T.C. posted:

BC isn't bailing out the hotel industry. They're trying to backfill emergency housing stock with hotels that are already built and able to reasonably quickly take people.

Same in Toronto. Hotels are being bought to house homeless within accordance with COVID guidelines; traditional methods pack people in too tight, etc

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

T.C. posted:

That headline is also pretty sensational.

"One third of all hotel sales in Canada!!1!*"

*Four hotels, mostly small ones

But yeah, seems like a good opportunity to use COVID money to also increase social housing stock.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1295301064519045121?s=21

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1295301065232003073?s=21

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh weird the TREB has suspended one of the websites that makes a realtor basically useless in this day and age?

Weird. Huh - must be for holistic reasons and totally valid yep yep.

https://www.bungol.ca/treb-data-suspended/

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Intentionally hiding widespread access of pricing data is nothing short of price manipulation and fraud, and I sincerely hope the TREB gets the book thrown at them. But we all know that won't happen.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this guy came from Goldman Sachs and probably gonna gently caress off there once he's done. Something about his current griping that just feels very hollow.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I mean Siddall has basically been the only going "hey... like, maybe slow down a bit you guys - this is a weird pandemic we don't know what's going to happen - hey stop - no - wait - slow down oh god damnit..." as prices still go up and up and up

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

I mean Siddall has basically been the only going "hey... like, maybe slow down a bit you guys - this is a weird pandemic we don't know what's going to happen - hey stop - no - wait - slow down oh god damnit..." as prices still go up and up and up

He's not wrong I just find it hard to take him too seriously. I know he doesn't have total control of these things but he's been in charge of CMHC for years now so it's not like he's been some powerless bystander.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

midge posted:

Same in Toronto. Hotels are being bought to house homeless within accordance with COVID guidelines; traditional methods pack people in too tight, etc

Well, about that:

TorStar posted:

Joyce Rankin works with Toronto’s homeless for a living.

But now she’s watching in distress as a controversy over two new homeless shelters in her midtown neighbourhood drives a wedge through the community she loves.

Much of the division over the shelters is playing out on the private, 4,000-member strong Facebook group called Community Safety — Midtown Toronto, which launched about three weeks ago.

That’s where some community members are complaining that the shelters have brought unwanted crime including break-ins, bike thefts and drug dealing, along with litter, discarded dirty needles, public urination and other problems.

But critics of the Facebook group who have reached out to the Star, including Rankin who was recently kicked out of the forum, say many of the comments from members are often toxic, elitist, closed-minded, “NIMBY” (not in my backyard)-driven and hostile.

One member of the group sent a screen grab to the Star showing an example of the nasty back and forth on the forum.

“Please, go give more burgers to the people “sh … ing on our sidewalks and stabbing shelter workers. You guys are true winners,” reads a comment from one member, who later writes that her son’s daycare was broken into.

Another member follows up, saying the tone of the burger comment isn’t welcome.

Another responds to the first comment, saying there are 300 people in the two local shelters. “You don’t think even one of them deserves a little compassion and help because of the actions of one person, or the assumed actions of a few people?”

Melanie Ward, a local resident and one of the administrators of the Facebook page, defends the forum, saying it was created to enable community members to have a safe space to talk about what’s going on at the shelters.

“Some members want (the Roehampton shelter) closed. I don’t think that will happen,” Ward says.

Ward, one of the proponents of having the Roehampton turned into a respite for homeless women and children or refugees, says she doesn’t believe all the shelter residents are bad.

“Not everyone in the shelters, but a small handful are committing crime. Some people in there need a helping hand,” Ward says.

Incidents at the shelters have left the broader community emotional and upset, Ward says.

Businesses in the area have been hit by the economic slowdown caused by the coronavirus, traffic disruptions brought on by construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and “now the shelters,” Ward says.

“It seems like this area just can’t catch a break,” says Ward, a 15-year resident who works as an executive assistant.

Another member of the group, Tammy McLean, a single mom who has lived in the community since 1969 and who operates a salon near the hotel, echoes the view that only the “criminal elements” in the shelter are impacting the community.

Tammy McLean, a boutique owner in the Yonge and Eglinton area blames recent break-ins at her store on two new homeless shelters in the area.

She says the premises where she operates her salon had two break-ins last month and computers and salon-related products were stolen, and there was another break-in attempt, the first such incidents since she began operating seven years ago.

The community believes crime is up in the area, and they blame the shelter residents.

(Toronto Police statistics for 53 Division, a boundary that takes in the shelters, do not show a noticeable increase from April to July compared to the beginning of the year in the category of break-ins, assaults or thefts. A spokesperson at the division, Det. Sgt. Scott Bradbury, said the statistics are for a large area and may not fully capture what is happening near the shelters. He declined to comment about a link between the shelters and crime.)

Just :lol: at grouping together a deadly pandemic, construction for long-overdue mass transit that will be a massive boon to people and businesses in the area, and homeless shelters for the least fortunate.

A second :lol: for "the community [actually only a vocal minority thereof] believes crime is up in the area" (crime is not up in the area).

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Rich people mad because property value go down.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

leftist heap posted:

this guy came from Goldman Sachs and probably gonna gently caress off there once he's done. Something about his current griping that just feels very hollow.

He's six years into a Parkinson's diagnosis. That would make most would-be masters of the universe a little grumpy at the best of times.

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
ICYMI, Ewan Sidall decided to go toe-to-toe with a moron realtor in the middle of the night a few days past:

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1298153230321569792?s=20

Math for morons:

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1298153232620019713?s=20

And the coup-de-grace:

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1298158405882916865?s=20

Then the goon demands an apology.

https://twitter.com/owenbigland/status/1298350569531162625?s=20

Finally, a takedown of realtor stupidity from someone in a position to do so.

Oh, and this was hilarious...the now deleted tweet had some other random guy accusing EW's wife of being in conflict of interest because reasons. His reply:

https://twitter.com/ewsiddall/status/1298252295168303104?s=20

Mandibular Fiasco fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 27, 2020