Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the correct answer is sub to gamepass for $1 for a month, play until you're burned out. rebuy on steam sale in 6 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I landed my Cessna at Meigs Field, I haven't done that since MSFS 98 so that was a nice hit of nostalgia.

Yes I know the airport isn't there any more. Yes I landed there anyway.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Fawkner (suburb near me) got a skyscraper too!

No idea how it manage to create that. if you go to Bing Maps you can see Maps thinks there's a giant skyscraper there too:

I can't see anything on the photo that would've caused it to infer that, though

ALL HAIL THE DARK TOWER!

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Handsome Ralph posted:

Curious, is there a time compression option? It'd be nice to speed up time whenever I'm doing a transatlantic flight or whatever.

There is, but I prefer searching in keybinds for SIM RATE INCREASE and SIM RATE DECREASE and then using those (I did alt+plus and alt+minus). I have those bound to a switch on the back of my throttle so I can use it easily. As others have said, there's no indication of the current sim rate, nor is there any hotkey for "return to 1x", so the best way I've found to get it back to 1x time is to mash decrease a whole bunch of times so it gets to the slowest rate, then increase twice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I prefer Steam, I knew I wanted to own this sim, and the platform is just easier to use for me. I also wanted to be able to stream it to my TV, and Nvidia Shield Pro doesn't really support anything but Steam for that.

Should be clear that MS Store is for people who want to own the sim. Gamepass is via Xbox app or the Gamepass App on your phone. I installed via Gamepass app to my PC and was v. easy.

ethanol posted:

the correct answer is sub to gamepass for $1 for a month, play until you're burned out. rebuy on steam sale in 6 months

This is the only possibly exception and a very good point. Curious if they'll match it across the board.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

also the citation sucks. I will pay 60 dollars to a person who makes a fully functional and accurate biz jet and another 60 dollars to someone who does it for a tube liner.

that'll be better than the $120 version for me, I think

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Icedude posted:

I landed my Cessna at Meigs Field, I haven't done that since MSFS 98 so that was a nice hit of nostalgia.

Yes I know the airport isn't there any more. Yes I landed there anyway.

:hmmyes:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

This is working great with an Xbox controller, except the rudder pedals (Xbox triggers). Despite being an analogue control, it seems to work digitally and doesn't have a sensitivity control in the menu like the yoke.

Otherwise this is fantastic. My father in law has an A5 but I'll never get to fly it, so now I can fly a fake one into his house.

So this is a bug, and people are talking about it on other forums. The triggers should be recognised as an axis, allowing sensitivity, curves and dead zones to be set up. Setting proper curves and dead zones for the other Xbox controller axis works great, and the controller does the job super well.

I don’t imagine it will be a top priority to fix, though, but yeah it makes compensating for prop wash almost impossible unless you resort to many tiny rudder taps, which is a bit stupid. I don’t want to use auto rudder but for now it seems the only option.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

just noticing after staring at all the scenery, these plane models are pretty cool looking as well. the artists did a great job imo. these are better exteriors than 90% of payware poo poo imo

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
For those looking for additional maps to see where you're flying, Little NavMap works well enough out of the box with the FSX Connector.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Funso Banjo posted:

So this is a bug, and people are talking about it on other forums. The triggers should be recognised as an axis, allowing sensitivity, curves and dead zones to be set up. Setting proper curves and dead zones for the other Xbox controller axis works great, and the controller does the job super well.

I don’t imagine it will be a top priority to fix, though, but yeah it makes compensating for prop wash almost impossible unless you resort to many tiny rudder taps, which is a bit stupid. I don’t want to use auto rudder but for now it seems the only option.

Jeez AYFKM that is so goddamn stupid. Sure, let's just have one of the aircraft's primary control surfaces not loving work, nbd.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

It's weird how dependent on the plane I'm flying my FPS is. In a Cessna I maintain ~70 FPS on the high end preset but when in a Boeing I get 20-30.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

That's what I'm doing. Though rather I won't be able to dump enough time into this to justify a full purchase but I sure as hell want to make a few flights around my house and what not.

That said holy poo poo the installer has been running for like 3 hours and it' stuck at 15% or so. :wtc:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Spent the last hour climbing out of Calabria in a tiny Cessna to reach 10000 ft to overfly Etna. This poo poo is making me emotional. It’s glorious.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Icedude posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to check out WDW, although it does show the age of their photos in that part of the world if the hat is still there at studios. Although my house is on there and it's a new build so I guess there's a wide variety
Well what else am I going to see taking off from the Internationally Renown (apparently) KMCO? I also saw the hat and was like how old is this?!

For those who want to go to disney world, the Magic Kingdom is due West from the center of the airport's area. Just keep going West until the expressway you're probably following dead-ends into I-4 and turns SW and it is 6 miles past that point. It is only like 15 miles total.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wheeee posted:

I assume no, but is there a faster drone or a camera mode for just checking out environments and setting up shots without a huge time commitment?

If you're using the Xbox controller, holding down X + Left Trigger for a while will speed up your movement. You have to hold it a bit. If you don't have the controller you have to look through the keybindings for it. s

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Also, this new air model is fantastic. Flying over mountain is just awesome with the buffeting and gusting. Even crossing from the sea onto land results in air movement.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Did they fix the whacky seesaw autopilot in the A320?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Have they said anything about adding rotor wing aircraft to MFS2020?

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Charles posted:

Yes, push the R key, then push ctrl + numpad plus or minus. Keep track of how many times you've pushed it because in the beta at least there was no on screen indication.

That's something that drives me a little crazy, especially with an xbone controller. If I'm trying to set trim, I want some sort of tactile response or readout. Without hiding the yoke it's super hard to see what it's actually at. Maybe one of the alternative views on the dpad would show me. I'll have to try after work.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Popete posted:

Anyone having an issue with their throttle mapping? I have a slider but it seems to only recognize top and bottom so either full or zero throttle.

Have you actually set it to throttle axis (good) or set up to increase and down to decrease (bad). (like I did at first)

London at sunset is beautiful. I hope the multitude of airliners passing my DA62 at Heathrow got a giggle at me failing to bind the second engine and spinning around the runway like an idiot.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Performance observation: For "high end" you need at least 24GB of RAM and lots of cores, my 1070 isn't the greatest but I can keep stable frames with my 8086k and 48GB of RAM. The game is using 12-18GB of RAM, add in the OS poo poo and you hit swap central.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
If I were to get a fancy controller for this would the better option be a HOTAS or Yoke setup?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lou Takki posted:

Have they said anything about adding rotor wing aircraft to MFS2020?

Gonna be DLC in a few months, they said.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If I were to get a fancy controller for this would the better option be a HOTAS or Yoke setup?

Either. I wish I could get a yoke and throttle quadrant but my desk has drawers and I haven't seen one that has a large enough clamp. I'm not about to start drilling holes in my desk cause I use it for work and stuff.

I have the T16000m and it's pretty great. Using an arcade stick for extra buttons which I can label. I'm gonna try mapping trim to the joystick and see how that goes. The trim sensitivity on the assigned scroll wheel on the T16000m throttle is insane and unusable.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I don't remember seeing anything about this but just in case it's interesting to anyone - there's an FPS/Simulation monitoring option in game that you can turn on. In Options > General > Developers, turn on Developer Mode, which gives you an extra menu bar up top, then go to Options on that bar, and check Display FPS. There's also other stuff you can t urn on/off.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Cancelbot posted:

Performance observation: For "high end" you need at least 24GB of RAM and lots of cores, my 1070 isn't the greatest but I can keep stable frames with my 8086k and 48GB of RAM. The game is using 12-18GB of RAM, add in the OS poo poo and you hit swap central.

I'm on 16 GB of RAM w/ a 1080 ti and a 7700k. Like I said upthread I can get 70 FPS on high-end settings in a Cessna but less than half of that on jet planes, so it's definitely pretty variable.

Took a flight around my home town and the city I live in now. My parents' house was a little scuffed up but they had the general idea (their pool got turned into a boat in the backyard). Was pleasantly surprised to see the theme park my first job was at was pretty accurate, although the underside of the rollercoasters was just a solid block. My college campus was also shockingly accurate, the dorm halls all looked great. For some reason, though, my current house was only a solid-colored pyramid.

Dineren
Dec 14, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

beer_war posted:

That does look very cool, thanks. Only issue so far is that it will generate missions to airports that don't exist in FS2020.

I don't know if it works, but under options there is a checkbox for "Only use Simulator vanilla airports". I assume it would fix that, but I could be wrong.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If you think you'll ever have any interest in flying combat sims or stuff like Elite Dangerous, HOTAS. If you're only into flying civilian stuff, Yoke.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

HOTAS is more versatile imo. It works fine for civilian sims and if you play MSFS for long enough you'll probably wanna blow poo poo up in Il-2 or DCS anyway

e: Also, is the thing where minor airfields only show up as "navaids" on the global map intentional or what. It's really fuckin annoying to have to go to 3rd party sites to take off from cool places in the bush

sum fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 18, 2020

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay I'm done spending an evening in the game. It really is a land of contrasts. Here comes a stream of consciousness.

Weather and planes are beautiful. Flying really is fun.

Controls themselves are pleasant, what with key bindings being standardized across planes, and cockpits being clickable. Configuring controllers however is a nightmare. You're unable to simply press the button you want to assign - instead, you have to select it from a drop-down list of detected on the controller. Yes, let me just quickly look up whether this switch is button 36 or POV4. It's also mindboggling that you can't search for controls across several controllers at once - if you assigned the flaps toggle to your joystick, you have to search for the command on the joystick page. I don't get it; I thought setting up DCS and IL:2 was a bit clunky.

Menus are still a bit unintuitive. This may be because they're designed for controller and not mouse usage. Inspecting a bunch of planes in your hangar is very tedious, what with all the extra clicks or keystrokes you have to do.

Tutorials and aircraft information is a bit sparse. It's technically all there, but they gloss over a lot of detail. What bothers me most is that you don't get a clipboard with your plane's characteristics. That is to say things like safe engine limits, landing and take-off settings, and what not.

I was fiddling around with the navigation computer in one of the fancier props and I could get it to set waypoints and approaches succesfully, but interacting with the touch screens is a bit finnicky. Also not sure whether they work correct all the time, they didn't seem to always respond when I wanted to remove a way point for instance. More likely that I just don't know how to use it properly, though.

Game world is a mixed bag. Been flying around in Western Europe mostly. The world generates the wrong kind of architecture in a bunch of places (houses that wouldn't be built in a country). Huge land marks aren't there, rivers occassionally flow upwards. Gigantic power plant cooling or gas storage twoers turn into grey, featureless octagonal cylinders. Because you're looking at low-resolution satellite data even in urban areas, streets and railways are very washed out. Even in the tutorial levels, road traffic seems to ride directly through the ground. Skylines and most landmarks are broadly recognizable even in non-photogrammetric regions, though. From a few thousand feet you will see a very impressive game world. But when you're doing stunts at the tree-top level it gets a little bit disappointing. Can't fly under bridges if there are none. Doesn't feel very impressive to fly low over a city if the road isn't recognize as such. I'm expecting that there will be swath of high-detail regions for sale, and I'll buy a bunch of them.

Performance is mixed. Sometimes it's buttery smooth, at other times it's chugging even at altitute with you looking at your cockpit. I suspect it has something to do with your airspeed and the density of the surrounding terrain; i.e. I think the game is struggling to generate and prepare to render vast amounts of densely built-up terrain if you're buzzing around in a jet. For reference, I have a Ryzen 3600, 32GB RAM, RTX 2070, and I'm playing at the recommended high-ish settings at 1080p. I haven't tweaked the settings yet to optimize performance.

So all in all this might absolutely be a game changer, but it's still a bit rough around the edges and can take a fair bit of maturing.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

New Xwing is out shortly...

Was just about parked in the hangar and thought I'd let the AI pilot do the last bit. Promptly turned me around and crashed me into the carpark.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The ATC speech synthesis needs some work. Nobody says "Kilo Hotel Alpha Foxtrot traffic;" it's just "Half Moon Bay traffic." They should be pulling the name of the airport instead of the code.

Also stop saying Runway Thirty (it's three-zero) and please note that the C152 is the one-fifty-two, not the One Hundred Fifty Two :spergin:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When you set your co-pilot to take over, while you're doing drugs in the cabin with the passengers, how do you tell your co-pilot what cruising altitude to fly at? Cause at 7500 feet for the default, this co-pilot has no fear of death.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The ATC speech synthesis needs some work. Nobody says "Kilo Hotel Alpha Foxtrot traffic;" it's just "Half Moon Bay traffic." They should be pulling the name of the airport instead of the code.

Also stop saying Runway Thirty (it's three-zero) and please note that the C152 is the one-fifty-two, not the One Hundred Fifty Two :spergin:

In all seriousness, I would really like this to be made as realistic as possible. That is kinda the whole point.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
How do I know where to park/taxi and end the flight? I'll get directions to park at gate 11 or general parking but I have no idea where to go usually. The AI successfully did it for me once but other times have crashed/ruined things.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I have a yoke but no pedals and the rudder control seems untenable. Because my only real option right now is stutter tapping on the keyboard. So I guess pedals are the next purchase.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Some landmarks could definitely use a bit of love, because I certainly don't remember Tokyo Tower looking like this:

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Knightmare posted:

How do I know where to park/taxi and end the flight? I'll get directions to park at gate 11 or general parking but I have no idea where to go usually. The AI successfully did it for me once but other times have crashed/ruined things.

You can turn on arrows in the assists menu; navigation aids -> taxi ribbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sum posted:

e: Also, is the thing where minor airfields only show up as "navaids" on the global map intentional or what. It's really fuckin annoying to have to go to 3rd party sites to take off from cool places in the bush

no you just have to zoom way way in. They really need to work on the zoom and the resolution of the global map. Having basic national borders, major roads, and city names would go a long way to helping people find specific places without knowing the airport codes nearby.