Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

SaltPig posted:

I finally upgraded my 6700k to a 10700k and the extra cores/threads did seem to make a difference. On my 6700k + 1080ti I was bouncing between GPU and CPU bottlenecks, now its always my GPU holding things up.

From what I've read, MSFS 2020 still runs on Direct X 11 which means it's limited to 4 cores. So the boost you're seeing is likely just from increased clock speed, as the 4 new cores aren't being utilized. Hopefully we great a Direct X 12 patch soon, so we can utilize the other cores, or at least cool down case temps a bit for those that are GPU limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

three03 posted:

Turning on "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" in Windows 10 had a huge impact on my FPS. I went from 15-25 or so around KOPF on the medium preset to near solid 50+ after enabling the option.

Huh. I don't have that option. I have the May update that added it, and the latest AMD drivers. Supposedly support for this was added in AMD beta drivers back in late june. Did they remove it since or something?

three03
Mar 8, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Huh. I don't have that option. I have the May update that added it, and the latest AMD drivers. Supposedly support for this was added in AMD beta drivers back in late june. Did they remove it since or something?

I believe I am on Windows 10 2004, with the Nvidia game ready drivers that were released right before the game came out. My understanding is that it is a straight Windows feature. It is in Settings, Graphics Settings for me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You gotta have a relatively recent graphics card, I think?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I got the update (2004), and a compatible card (Radeon 5700 XT). It's something that support has to be added for in your graphics drivers, and AMD did supposedly add it at some point. I'm on the latest driver version that has MSFS optimizations, but this option isn't appearing in windows for me. I wonder what will happen if I force it via the registry.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, I got the update (2004), and a compatible card (Radeon 5700 XT). It's something that support has to be added for in your graphics drivers, and AMD did supposedly add it at some point. I'm on the latest driver version that has MSFS optimizations, but this option isn't appearing in windows for me. I wonder what will happen if I force it via the registry.

I also have a 5700xt and don’t have the option either. I’m on the 20.8.2 optional driver from last week.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just looked and I have it with a gtx 1080. I'll see if it makes any difference.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Game runs really well for me on high settings but I actually feel my internet speed is what's hurting my graphics. With only 20Mb/s I definitely feel the lag in building detail streaming in regardless of how high my fps is.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The other trick with lower end processors is to set the Processor Scheduling to Background Services; I'm living on an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz and an RX580 but this setting at least gets me to a point where flight sim is playable

Win+Break -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced -> Performance -> Advanced -> Adjust for best performance of Background Services

Does me on Medium settings just fine for video, although my sound stutters a whole bunch even in menu so have just opened a support ticket on the MSFS Zendesk

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah got it working after installing it ONCE AGAIN under a different account name. Already found my house, office etc. I dunno if they just don't have the same angles or street view data available here but other than the footprints, they don't look anything like IRL.

First flight went fine until (I guess) I ran out of fuel and crashed in a forest. Oops. The checklist assistant keeps bothering me about airspeed being above 87 knots during climbing even though I'm at like 8k feet. What's up with that? The gears and flaps are retracted of course.

three03 posted:

Turning on "Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling" in Windows 10 had a huge impact on my FPS. I went from 15-25 or so around KOPF on the medium preset to near solid 50+ after enabling the option.
Where's that option? Never seen it before. It actually run pretty well on an i5-3470 and gtx1070 once everyone cached. Still it's only around 35fps so no way this would be playable in VR on the G2 lol.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 24, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Flying over Tokyo on mostly high settings has some hitches for sure, but seeing it at night is... awe inspiring on a far bigger level than just the game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Where's that option? Never seen it before. It actually run pretty well on an i5-3470 and gtx1070 once everyone cached. Still it's only around 35fps so no way this would be playable in VR on the G2 lol.

Here's the link I used.

https://uploadvr.com/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Note, if you don't have the option to activate GPU acceleration, check 2 things:

You have the latest video drivers and

you are running windows 10, version 2004

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I can't tell if I'm the one loving up or if the info I'm using for my little local airport is off. I'm trying to land in KMGY and I found its ILS frequency from here:

I take off from a nearby airport, I see the sights, then travel here via GPS. I punch in 109.5 in NAV, switch CDI to LOC and sure enough I now see the line between the arrow to align. I'm at a good distance and elevation so I switch AP on to Approach mode and... nothing. the plane adjusts heading correctly to 206 but makes no attempt to line up or bring up the glide bar on the right (based on the tutorial I'm trying to follow) or descend. So i end up flying perpendicular to the airport without actually trying to land.

funny thing is I ended landing manually and got the achievement for landing using ILS so I had the navigation tied to it.

Maybe I should do the KHVN to KBDL flight the tutorial uses to see if it's indeed me loving up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't tell if I'm the one loving up or if the info I'm using for my little local airport is off. I'm trying to land in KMGY and I found its ILS frequency from here:

I take off from a nearby airport, I see the sights, then travel here via GPS. I punch in 109.5 in NAV, switch CDI to LOC and sure enough I now see the line between the arrow to align. I'm at a good distance and elevation so I switch AP on to Approach mode and... nothing. the plane adjusts heading correctly to 206 but makes no attempt to line up or bring up the glide bar on the right (based on the tutorial I'm trying to follow) or descend. So i end up flying perpendicular to the airport without actually trying to land.

funny thing is I ended landing manually and got the achievement for landing using ILS so I had the navigation tied to it.

Maybe I should do the KHVN to KBDL flight the tutorial uses to see if it's indeed me loving up.

That’s not an ILS approach, it’s a Localizer approach. Localizer approaches don’t have glideslopes, so there is no vertical guidance other than the minimum altitudes at the approach fixes.

Basically, you’d maintain 3000ft until you pass SNEZE, descend to 2600ft until you pass TALAC, descend to 2040ft until you pass UBFOP, and then descend to 1320ft and look out the window. If you get to JIRDI and you don’t see the airport, you go missed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MrYenko posted:

That’s not an ILS approach, it’s a Localizer approach. Localizer approaches don’t have glideslopes, so there is no vertical guidance other than the minimum altitudes at the approach fixes.

Ok now I'm more confused. I've been referring to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu3Fc1zeqjU

He uses the localizer to do an ILS approach which locks him up and descends him automatically. It actually appears to kick off heading mode and go into approach mode when he's close enough (right around 25:38). I tried to follow the video (using my local airport) but I'm obviously missing the mark somewhere. I'll give his exact video route tonight and see how everything works, pick up on anything I missed, then go back to my local airports and practice there.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 24, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok now I'm more confused. I've been referring to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu3Fc1zeqjU

He uses the localizer to do an ILS approach which locks him up and descends him automatically. It actually appears to kick off heading mode and go into approach mode when he's close enough (right around 25:38). I tried to follow the video (using my local airport) but I'm obviously missing the mark somewhere. I'll give his exact video route tonight and see how everything works, pick up on anything I missed, then go back to my local airports and practice there.

Your local airport does not have an ILS approach, it has a Localizer approach. There is physically no glideslope transmitter for the aircraft to follow.

If that were an ILS approach, that would read “ILS RWY 20.”

An ILS is two components; a Localizer, which provides lateral course guidance, and a glideslope, which provides vertical glideslope guidance. Your local field only has a Localizer.

Even at fields with full ILS approaches, you’ll sometimes find Localizer approaches available, either as a back-course to the ILS, or in case the glideslope equipment is out of service.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone tried using a steam controller here? I'm having trouble getting mine set up, and wondering if it's even worth going through the effort over a xbox controller

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Your local airport does not have an ILS approach, it has a Localizer approach. There is physically no glideslope transmitter for the aircraft to follow.

If that were an ILS approach, that would read “ILS RWY 20.”

An ILS is two components; a Localizer, which provides lateral course guidance, and a glideslope, which provides vertical glideslope guidance. Your local field only has a Localizer.

Even at fields with full ILS approaches, you’ll sometimes find Localizer approaches available, either as a back-course to the ILS, or in case the glideslope equipment is out of service.

Ooooooh, now I get it. Well that's real good to know, thanks! So I can use the localizer to line up but I'll still need to handle the descent myself, right? I'll practice with it tonight. I went on airnav and found some airports nearby with proper ILS approaches so I'll try those out too.

Also, additional question. Is there any way to properly set this up prior to starting the flight? The world map screen feels... really loving clunky? I can set up departures and arrival and sometimes it lets me add a waypoint but i don't see ways of removing or rearranging waypoints. and now clear way of finding approach POIs like the ones I'd use on the localized approach I posted above.

I'm also... not great at navigating the G1000 in-game so maybe it's easier to edit and program poo poo there.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 24, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ooooooh, now I get it. Well that's real good to know, thanks! So I can use the localizer to line up but I'll still need to handle the descent myself, right? I'll practice with it tonight. I went on airnav and found some airports nearby with proper ILS approaches so I'll try those out too.

Correct.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also, additional question. Is there any way to properly set this up prior to starting the flight? The world map screen feels... really loving clunky? I can set up departures and arrival and sometimes it lets me add a waypoint but i don't see ways of removing or rearranging waypoints. and now clear way of finding approach POIs like the ones I'd use on the localized approach I posted above.

I'm also... not great at navigating the G1000 in-game so maybe it's easier to edit and program poo poo there.

The world map is pretty clunky when it comes to editing routes for a flight plan. This got solved in FSX via 3rd party flight planning tools, but it seems such a shame that MSFS plans on including full navdata in FS, but not a simple text route editor.

I suck at the G1000 route editing too, I generally just fly vectors to join the Localizer. That’s what you’d get from the controller 9 times out of 10 in the real world, anyway.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 24, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

You can load a flight plan file on the world map screen, there’s a save/load button at the bottom where the go back/confirm buttons are.

I’ve only tried this once so far and it was janky - I don’t know if that’s a result of the game or if my plan was just weird though. I wasn’t careful in checking, I just fixed it once I noticed. I’m any case it’ll allow to use simbrief or something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

You can load a flight plan file on the world map screen, there’s a save/load button at the bottom where the go back/confirm buttons are.

I’ve only tried this once so far and it was janky - I don’t know if that’s a result of the game or if my plan was just weird though. I wasn’t careful in checking, I just fixed it once I noticed. I’m any case it’ll allow to use simbrief or something.

I was just watching this video and he goes through this for the example of flying to a specific house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AjspC0Acfo

He sets up a departure -> random waypoint -> arrival waypoint then manually edits the flight plan in text to change the waypoint to a specific location. It looks like you should be able to add / edit the flight plan there using the same structure it's set up.

also from looking at this video looks like I have NAVAIDS off which would answer my earlier question.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Correct.

The world map is pretty clunky when it comes to editing routes for a flight plan. This got solved in FSX via 3rd party flight planning tools, but it seems such a shame that MSFS plans on including full navdata in FS, but not a simple text route editor.

MSFS kept the same file formats as FSX/P3d, so you can actually use stuff generated by 3rd party planners for either of those two sims.

The only issue I've run into is if you try and load a departure or destination that doesn't exist in MSFS, in which case it just refuses to load the flight plan.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

JayKay posted:

Ryzen 3600, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 here @ 1440p. FPS is in the 30-40 range on the recommended settings that was posted a while back.

I'm on the fence right now on upgrading, specifically if I should get a Zen 4 3 CPU when they release (or possibly a 3900x if the prices drop) or a GTX 3070.

Thanks. My i5 6600 us suuucking bad I can't even get 1080 at stable framerates. The 3600 will cost me $400 for Mobo and CPU which is like the same price as getting just the Chip if I go Intel, then I'll need a mobo. Still debating it but I may pull the trigger and do a PC rebuild his weekend.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a way to update the ingame AIRAC? FSX suffered as time went by with a database outdated by a decade, unless you updated it via individual sceneries.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Mokotow posted:

Is there a way to update the ingame AIRAC? FSX suffered as time went by with a database outdated by a decade, unless you updated it via individual sceneries.

I'm pretty sure MSFS said they'd be providing up to date Navdata.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Yeah, it was mentioned in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_UZT8nL-U&t=51s

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
For anybody who plays DCS... would you recommend the F16 or the F18 to somebody thinking about getting one of those two.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

F/A-18. Naval aviation is way cooler than runway operations.

The hornet is also more complete than the viper (DCS modules are always full of bugs and missing features)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GreatGreen posted:

For anybody who plays DCS... would you recommend the F16 or the F18 to somebody thinking about getting one of those two.

I like the Hornet better, but I do in real life, too. As Sagebrush said, it's also currently more complete, systems-wise.

But I think they're both great, and really it's just a matter of your preference.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plus you can always play Falcon 4 to get your Viper fix

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Imo viper looks much nicer but the hornet can do carrier landings.

Can't speak for the viper but the hornet is very easy to pick up (in terms of DCS that is)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol this drat game has caused me to spend so much money. My new CPU runs hot like a motherfucker so I just ordered a water cooler for the first time. :sweatdrop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

explosivo posted:

Lol this drat game has caused me to spend so much money. My new CPU runs hot like a motherfucker so I just ordered a water cooler for the first time. :sweatdrop:

I was thinking of just upgrading the GPU when the new ones come out but I see that there’s a sale on the i9-9900k at Micro Center and now I’m thinking of grabbing that too but then if I get both this and a new card I’ll also need to switch to a beefier power supply and then maybe I do want a 2nd monitor? It never ends.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I was thinking of just upgrading the GPU when the new ones come out but I see that there’s a sale on the i9-9900k at Micro Center and now I’m thinking of grabbing that too but then if I get both this and a new card I’ll also need to switch to a beefier power supply and then maybe I do want a 2nd monitor? It never ends.

Yeah I was going to do the same but I have a 1070 and from using the developer tools in MSFS I realized that clearly my i7 from a few generations ago was what was really holding me back. I bit the bullet and got a new mobo/3900X and it has made everything run impressively smooth so I'll probably be able to skip another GPU generation. It just feels like the stock cooler isn't really cutting the mustard unfortunately.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Another word of warning - advancing the flight via the “travel to” option WITHOUT advancing time will also wipe your live weather.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

I like the Hornet better, but I do in real life, too. As Sagebrush said, it's also currently more complete, systems-wise.

But I think they're both great, and really it's just a matter of your preference.

mobby_6kl posted:

Plus you can always play Falcon 4 to get your Viper fix

Lord Stimperor posted:

Imo viper looks much nicer but the hornet can do carrier landings.

Can't speak for the viper but the hornet is very easy to pick up (in terms of DCS that is)

Thanks guys, Hornet sounds good to me.

Who am I kidding though, I'll probably end up getting both in the long run because I love lighting money on fire apparently. It feels like the F18 will be the more capable aircraft for screwing around in and dogfighting, but the F16's insane speed and super smooth flight style is really appealing too. Not to mention the unobstructed glass canopy is really appealing in a plane flying video game.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Mokotow posted:

Another word of warning - advancing the flight via the “travel to” option WITHOUT advancing time will also wipe your live weather.

How do you get it to do both?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

nemotrm posted:

How do you get it to do both?

Have a flight with a flight plan loaded. During the flight, through the top menu, use the TRAVEL TO option. You can choose which part of the flight you want to jump to and you’ll be asked if you want to advance time or just jump to the spot.

After landing I checked and I’m not sure about the weather. The winds in the ATIS were as in real life, but I didn’t feel them and the cloud coverage was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Live weather is broken in general. Clouds and conditions show up most of the time, but getting the correct winds is quite rare