Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

I said come in! posted:

I am stupid and want to play in the beta. Here goes nothing!!!

At least join an organized guild. This is not the game to be solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

I said come in! posted:

I am stupid and want to play in the beta. Here goes nothing!!!

Hello me two months ago! have fun!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Just got a beta invite, game any fun? Goons playing?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same. woke up to a beta invite as well.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Having seen videos of where the beta is at, it makes you wonder why game devs don't just use Unreal Engine. Don't assets already look great in UE and the rendering is all looked after so the end user is somewhat guaranteed good-ish performance? What is the incentive for a relatively small studio with a big game ahead of them to use anything else, I imagine when hiring CV's mostly list out UE experience as well.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
They're using a pretty well used engine (Unity), but apparently theyre using some antique version which sucks rear end, and they're updating it soon? Who the gently caress knows, really.

Anyone who idolizes shadowbane is broken brained.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

PriNGLeS posted:

Ok yes but in my defense

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

PriNGLeS posted:

They're using a pretty well used engine (Unity), but apparently theyre using some antique version which sucks rear end, and they're updating it soon? Who the gently caress knows, really.

I don't idolize it, but I missed it and preferred it over EVE

insider
Feb 22, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

Those are fighting words here...

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Good thing I was never a guild leader of a goon shadowbane guild otherwise I would really feel attacked

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
If you are here and have not accepted the fact that you are broke brained you’ve got a lot of introspection to do.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Unity, the great destroyer of old CPUs.

Anasurimbur
Nov 18, 2010

SHODAN Processing Component 43893
So is this worth picking up the 50-70 dollar packs just to play in the beta, or hold off for now and wait / try to get into their invite listings instead?

The concept of the multiple worlds + your own instance / world sounds interesting but it also sounds like from others the game isn't that far along at the moment.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Anasurimbur posted:

So is this worth picking up the 50-70 dollar packs just to play in the beta, or hold off for now and wait / try to get into their invite listings instead?

The concept of the multiple worlds + your own instance / world sounds interesting but it also sounds like from others the game isn't that far along at the moment.

I'm getting sub-20 FPS on a 2080TI, so I'm not really sure $70 will be worth it

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Anasurimbur posted:

No. Seriously i wish there was a flashing DO NOT BUY INTO THIS YET sign in this thread. It is absolutely not worth it yet. This game has progressed to the 'Not a Scam Stage' which is rare for a kickstarted MMO but still this is still A LONG WAYS OFF even if they are calling it beta. The game is super rough and goes to single digit FPS at times. You are not missing out on anything.

This is coming from someone who loved SB and my entire guild is already in game playing pressuring me to join but I watch their videos and see a slideshow so I know this is not ready for anyone but the most hardcore of hardcore PvP fans who already have a huge guild to run with. Anyone else... just chill and wait.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

super sweet best pal posted:

Unity, the great destroyer of old CPUs.

Apparently the issue is the other way around. Old rigs are doing alright, and newer ones struggle.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I can think about is how the game barely meets the 'not a scam definition'.

It's like.. a bunch of low poly, <10 FPS, empty world to walk around? There is barely a game engine, much less a game.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I dipped my toes in like over a year ago with some goons and we were gathering resources, crafting custom gear, fighting other factions, camping resource nodes and taking over forts and stuff. Seems like there's a game there but it's not a fully featured MMO by any means.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Beta group 8 finally got in so I've tried it out and jeez its ugly and boring really. Not getting fps issues but I just don't get the game. Leveling is just a giant tutorial, gear all looks the same and the dialogue boxes just suck rear end and I never want to read what's in them. Hell the quests don't even show you their objectives.

The home kingdom is also just read all these books to learn how to do this poo poo. I haven't even tried pvp cause it's probably also boring.

Do not pay for this game, I'm not sure how they only got this far in 5 years.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I deeply regret spending money on this game

I may have already posted that but I deeply regret spending money on this game

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

The only thing I can think about is how the game barely meets the 'not a scam definition'.

You might be right, but then I see clips like this from my guild and go holy poo poo this is exactly what I want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-XI1VsQi3E

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I deeply regret spending money on this game

I may have already posted that but I deeply regret spending money on this game

I got invited into the beta a few days ago (without paying) and I still feel scammed after playing it. I got to level 9 before deciding that it is not worth going through the generic grind to get to the actual pvp game. I probably would have hit 15 pretty quickly but it was definitely not for me. I'm an OSRS player so grind shouldn't be a problem but dear god it was boring. Watching some videos it does show potential but it is still so rough around the edges that I can't imagine it being very fun until much further down the line. But we'll see I suppose? Unless the pvp is already in a fantastic state, anyone still playing it here?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 5, 2020

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Torabi posted:

I got invited into the beta a few days ago (without paying) and I still feel scammed after playing it. I got to level 9 before deciding that it is not worth going through the generic grind to get to the actual pvp game. I probably would have hit 15 pretty quickly but it was definitely not for me. I'm an OSRS player so grind shouldn't be a problem but dear god it was boring. Watching some videos it does show potential but it is still so rough around the edges that I can't imagine it being very fun until much further down the line. But we'll see I suppose? Unless the pvp is already in a fantastic state, anyone still playing it here?

I lasted a bit longer than you, but ultimately came to the same conclusion. It has a very slim chance at being good maybe a year or two from now, but it's in a really rough state. I don't want to put too much effort into this post, and I'll try and stay as objective as possible, but the game needs a ton of work to come close to something I'd want to play or get invested in. performance is terrible, class design is not pvp centric or original, gameplay loop consists of leveling a character, grinding crafting materials, using those materials to make a new character, then leveling that character over and over with occasional pvp thrown in

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Torabi posted:

Same experience here. Game felt terrible.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
i have no idea how ArtCraft is keeping this thing together

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
By continuing to sell more packs and having more 'beta rounds'

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Calling it now: this project is going to meet the same end that Worlds Adrift did.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Calling it now: this project is going to meet the same end that Worlds Adrift did.

Almost certainly, which is a shame. Both of them suffer from what are largely technical problems more than gameplay IMO (Crowfall's performance is awful, WA's server hosting was way too expensive).

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
I really wanted this game to be good. Why can't we have a good PVP MMO? WHY?!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

TheFace posted:

I really wanted this game to be good. Why can't we have a good PVP MMO? WHY?!

Because it's very hard to make a game where both sides are players (meaning one must lose) that is fun and engagin.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
*tumbleweed*

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Hasselblad posted:

*tumbleweed*

see 1 new post, get excited, maybe... maybe there was an update? maybe game playable? see *tumbleweed* shake fist in the air, ya got me again crowfall!

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Mjolnerd posted:

see 1 new post, get excited, maybe... maybe there was an update? maybe game playable? see *tumbleweed* shake fist in the air, ya got me again crowfall!

Let's go for 3, people will think something major happened!

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I hate you all :-v

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Yea my entire guild is taking a break as they finally realized 'Hey wait a second this isn't a beta!'.

Game clearly in alpha no matter what they say. Still think its making more progress than most other kickstarted MMOs but that is such a low bar.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

insider posted:

Yea my entire guild is taking a break as they finally realized 'Hey wait a second this isn't a beta!'.

Game clearly in alpha no matter what they say. Still think its making more progress than most other kickstarted MMOs but that is such a low bar.

I think its worse than that for me - I'm not a huge fan of most of the stuff they /have/ added. They keep taking the middle road generic approach to everything - combat, crafting, gathering.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Killing passive skill training five years into development seems like a weird choice.

Also, any time I've played the world has been dominated by one big tryhard clan which is exactly what the devs were aiming to avoid, haha.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Capntastic posted:

Killing passive skill training five years into development seems like a weird choice.

Also, any time I've played the world has been dominated by one big tryhard clan which is exactly what the devs were aiming to avoid, haha.

If we have learned anything in PvP MMOs over the last 15 years it's numbers always win unless you can crash the server like in the eve.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Capntastic posted:

I feel like it's the one wholly good development choice they've made in the last two or so years. Like Lorem ipsum said they keep making systems that are just generic and boring and granted not every MMO has to reinvent the wheel but when basically every PvP MMO that has ever existed has died the same death for basically the same reasons, I dunno maybe try something else. Aping one of the worst parts of the one that hasn't wasn't a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like this entire game is still teetering on the "is it a scam" line, because for all the things they promised (and the dozen "most anticipated mmo 2015" award logos on their page + continual 'founders pack sign up for alpha now!!') it's still more or less an empty Unity demo with no actual content