Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kraftwerk posted:

I just hit the phone and called every location of Canada Computers that's open right now and everyone is saying first come first served. I must look like some kind of NVIDIA narc to these guys because I have no idea how the heck other people are getting on a waiting list or pre-pre order list but I'm not.

The guy in Vaughan said that they were getting hammered with calls for this card and people will most likely be camping out for them.

Yeah this is insane, I am gonna try to get an FE online. If not, no worries, CP not due for 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kraftwerk posted:

Which location?
St. Catharines said they were taking deposits.
Richmond Hill basically told me to take a hike- they were extremely unfriendly.

This was in London. They didn't mention it when I called earlier, although I didn't ask. It looks like their list is an excel spreadsheet they're keeping in store, so I think this is very much an unofficial approach. I'd be pretty ticked off if I did end up sitting outside the store on Thursday morning and they told me everything they have is "on hold".

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DrDork posted:

But you see, I have 2,179 games in my steam library, of which only 5 support DLSS, therefore it is irrelevant.

What? No, I've never installed 2,150 of those games, and I haven't played all but 5 in the last 6 months, why are you asking?

But, yeah, if they can slide it in to PUBG, Fortnite, CoD, Minecraft, and Cyberpunk 2077, they'll cover like 50% of total gaming hours played each week or some other enormously high coverage rate. I mean, CS:GO and DOTA2 are gonna be the top games for a long time still, but you can run those on a potato anyhow.

I'd say the argument is more valid if you only play few games, in that case there may only be small chance that you would get any benefit from DLSS. If you play large amount of games at least some of them should use DLSS.

What this means is that DLSS is very nice to have, but at this point you should not pay any extra for it unless you are certain you'll benefit. If you compare two cards with same price, the one with higher "raw" performance is the safer choice.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This was in London. They didn't mention it when I called earlier, although I didn't ask. It looks like their list is an excel spreadsheet they're keeping in store, so I think this is very much an unofficial approach. I'd be pretty ticked off if I did end up sitting outside the store on Thursday morning and they told me everything they have is "on hold".

Well the closest store to their head office is Richmond Hill ergo it's the one most likely to have the largest amount of stock available. I'm just not sure I'll be able to line up in front when I have meetings at work starting right at 9PM and going until noon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Saukkis posted:

What this means is that DLSS is very nice to have, but at this point you should not pay any extra for it unless you are certain you'll benefit. If you compare two cards with same price, the one with higher "raw" performance is the safer choice.

Sure, but this isn't really an option at the moment. All the high-end cards are DLSS capable, and Ampere is providing considerably higher raster performance-per-dollar than Turing. There'll be some wiggle room when discussing fire-sale Turing cards vs a 3070 or 3060, to be sure, but neither of those cards are out yet, and both have DLSS anyhow. Pascal cards are getting pretty long in the tooth, and certainly can't compete with Ampere on any front.

AMD could join the fray here, too, but they're looking like they're still ~2 months off from actual release and will very possibly be even more inventory constrained than NVidia.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My one remaining worry about the Amazon preorders concerns the shipping. Amazon US is currently totally loving rallied (8-10 day shipping delays). So even if the preorders vest in the next 24 hours or so, we may not receive them for a while. but who knows.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Taima posted:

So even if the preorders vest in the next 24 hours or so

lol, we lived in a cursed techbro world

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Taima posted:

My one remaining worry about the Amazon preorders concerns the shipping. Amazon US is currently totally loving rallied (8-10 day shipping delays). So even if the preorders vest in the next 24 hours or so, we may not receive them for a while. but who knows.

What? Everything I've ordered through Amazon Prime in the US has been at most a day or 2 delayed.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugy4GNsWeVOYbc62hlN4AaABCQ

Looks like the 3080 FE cooler may be even more difficult to teardown than the 20 series was.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jisforjosh posted:

What? Everything I've ordered through Amazon Prime in the US has been at most a day or 2 delayed.

Depends on the region and how Amazon handles deliveries/which carrier they use in the area. In LA everything is still next day, but when I was up near Lake Tahoe a few weeks back, the delays were at least a week+ even with Prime. It was fun to switch the address and on the top right and see all the delivery dates go from "Tomorrow" to "10-14 days"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Looks like the 3080 FE cooler may be even more difficult to teardown than the 20 series was.

:rip: to watercooling with 'em

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Micro Center in orange county California told my dad that they got 15 cards.

Not like 15 from asus, 15 total 3080s.

The manager was apparently not happy.

Anyone else able to get any info?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I called Best Buy and the guy didn’t know what I was talking about.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My dude at microcenter in cali told me they got 16 but he'd hold one for me ;)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

spunkshui posted:

Micro Center in orange county California told my dad that they got 15 cards.

Not like 15 from asus, 15 total 3080s.

The manager was apparently not happy.

Anyone else able to get any info?

taqueso posted:

My dude at microcenter in cali told me they got 16 but he'd hold one for me ;)

:lol:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

So full disclosure, the only reason I’m even considering hanging around in line for these cards is because I’ve somehow been led to believe that the initial round of cards on the 17th is ALL you get until January 21st.

If there’s a reasonable chance that a 3080 can be obtained prior to Cyberpunk release then I can comfortably wait this out. I just don’t wanna get caught dick in hand on Nov 17th with no card.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

So full disclosure, the only reason I’m even considering hanging around in line for these cards is because I’ve somehow been led to believe that the initial round of cards on the 17th is ALL you get until January 21st.

If there’s a reasonable chance that a 3080 can be obtained prior to Cyberpunk release then I can comfortably wait this out. I just don’t wanna get caught dick in hand on Nov 17th with no card.

yeah 2 months is a pretty generous buffer for getting the card - i wouldn't worry about it.
(plus you have the Sphyre promise)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah my uncle who works at Nvidia said that is true.

PS Where TF did you hear that?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Yes Nvidia isn’t going to restock these cards at all over the entire dang holiday season. I mean come on now

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Strix 3080 popped up on Best Buy. They're listing MSRP as 850.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-10gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card/6432445.p?skuId=6432445

Edit: 3090 as well. $1800.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-gddr6x-pci-express-4-0-graphics-card/6432447.p?skuId=6432447

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 16, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

3080/3090 reference board list here

https://www.alphacool.com/download/compatibility%20list%20Nvidia.pdf

Full link for trust reasons

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

shrike82 posted:

lol, we lived in a cursed techbro world

Haha fair enough

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

In the bay area we are 8-10 days out, good to hear its not so bad elsewhere though.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

never understood why people pay the asus premium - the premium for the 3090 is nuts

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

3080/3090 reference board list here

https://www.alphacool.com/download/compatibility%20list%20Nvidia.pdf

Full link for trust reasons

so only the cheapo brands are doing reference cards :rip:

good luck with that warranty

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

never understood why people pay the asus premium - the premium for the 3090 is nuts

The ROG 3080 card has 2 external case fan connectors and 3 power plugs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it has the exact same cooler as the TUF card but with a just slightly thicker and more impressive glowing shroud.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GN has an architecture deep dive up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Taima posted:

In the bay area we are 8-10 days out, good to hear its not so bad elsewhere though.

Are you my neighbor? I live out here and we haven’t had too much trouble with Amazon Prime delivery times. Granted I called them up and said “you know that Taima? gently caress that person. I want you to screw their poo poo up” and handed the Amazon man a crisp $5 so

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That would explain a lot. And it is quite possible we are. Im more on the south end though.

I mean can you get things in the normal time? The earliest i can get literally anything on Amazon is september 26 and that’s with prime. No idea why. Just checked the website 10 seconds ago.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Taima posted:

That would explain a lot. And it is quite possible we are. Im more on the south end though.

I mean can you get things in the normal time? The earliest i can get literally anything on Amazon is september 26 and that’s with prime. No idea why. Just checked the website 10 seconds ago.

Ah I see, we live in the east bay. I just checked a couple of Prime-qualified products on my wishlist (a Nacon Controller and a pair of headphones) and they both estimate Saturday the 19th for delivery. So a little longer than normal, but so far they've been meeting those estimates with our household.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

so only the cheapo brands are doing reference cards :rip:

good luck with that warranty

This poo poo is why I need FE for watercooling

That or I get a GALAKURO 3090

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

This poo poo is why I need FE for watercooling

That or I get a GALAKURO 3090

Hope you have a drill handy.

Unsure if it's a joke...

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Hope you have a drill handy.

Unsure if it's a joke...

I took an angle grinder to my case, and a heat gun and hammer to my CPU I'm down :discourse:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I almost want to go to my local Best Buy in the east SF Bay Area simply to see if there is even a line on Thursday morning.

I'm considering getting up early and driving 1 mile down the street to see if any Poor Souls™ really think the Fry's in Austin, which has had dwindling shelf stock for years in every single department even before the pandemic, will get a highly anticipated video card. I want to see the hope/desperation on their faces.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do you think every Best Buy will get some? There’s a big one in the center of the city and a few on the outskirts.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kraftwerk posted:

Well the closest store to their head office is Richmond Hill ergo it's the one most likely to have the largest amount of stock available. I'm just not sure I'll be able to line up in front when I have meetings at work starting right at 9PM and going until noon.

I don't think the stock levels will work that way, unless their head office is also their warehouse/distribution center. If you are able tomorrow, I'd suggest going in person to ask about the preorder or waiting list. You might get a different answer than just over the phone.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I don't think the stock levels will work that way, unless their head office is also their warehouse/distribution center. If you are able tomorrow, I'd suggest going in person to ask about the preorder or waiting list. You might get a different answer than just over the phone.

I went in person today and they turned me away. Doesn't matter anymore. I'm not looking to get one Day 1. I just want to ensure I get one within the next two months.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Literally this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbNZxX2MIFM

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cygni posted:

Depends on the region and how Amazon handles deliveries/which carrier they use in the area. In LA everything is still next day, but when I was up near Lake Tahoe a few weeks back, the delays were at least a week+ even with Prime. It was fun to switch the address and on the top right and see all the delivery dates go from "Tomorrow" to "10-14 days"

Isn't that because the postal service is being gutted like a fish right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't that because the postal service is being gutted like a fish right now

The guy in charge of it right now has a weird fetish for the trucks going out "on time" no matter how loaded they are so poo poo just keeps piling up due to partially-loaded trucks being sent out for delivery.