Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I preordered for early 2021 shipment which is probably better than first wave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Escobarbarian posted:

Obsessively checking my pre-order every day to make sure it hasn’t been cancelled

I can't even remember where I ordered stuff cuz I have consoles, games and accessories scattered across four stores.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Hmm there's a pretty decent deal in my area where they'll give me a voucher for €150 if I return my console today. I have a PC so it's not a huge deal to go without a console for a few months, but off course they cannot tell me when their next batch of consoles will arrive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if the PS5 will still have the same overly long and confusing system level thing for loading and saving games? It's hard for me to imagine something worse designed than that, and I can tell it isn't even necessary because lots of games never show it at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if the PS5 will still have the same overly long and confusing system level thing for loading and saving games? It's hard for me to imagine something worse designed than that, and I can tell it isn't even necessary because lots of games never show it at all.

Does Yakuza 7 still use the PS3 system :cheers:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does Yakuza 7 still use the PS3 system :cheers:
I think it uses both automatic and manual save, but I can't remember. But even if the other games that have manual save, they sometimes don't show that system screen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have dumb questions: I bought the headphones for the PS5.

A) do these headphones only work on PlayStation consoles or will it work on my PC?

B) are these special headphones that only work with games or are they good for listening to music or watching TV and movies with them too?

I have never been a headphone gamer but I want to feel more immersion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

A) do these headphones only work on PlayStation consoles or will it work on my PC?

B) are these special headphones that only work with games or are they good for listening to music or watching TV and movies with them too?

My guess is that they will work for the PS4 and PC, and maybe even the Switch too. If they're like previous PlayStation branded wireless headphones I've owned, they'll be okay for music and games but have a way over-emphasized bass which I don't like, but other people do.

Edit: If you mean "watching TV" as watching shows on Netflix or something it will be fine, but if you mean the literal TV that comes over the air or through a cable from a cable company, I don't see how that would work because it doesn't connect to the TV itself in any way that I know.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh I meant like if I used my PS5 to watch YouTube or Twitch or Amazon Prime.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh I meant like if I used my PS5 to watch YouTube or Twitch or Amazon Prime.
Oh yeah, then you're fine.

I'm 95% headphones for everything, but I'm using wired ones that are connected to my TV itself. I'm confident that the headphones I have are better than any PlayStation branded ones in any way other than not being wireless.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reading the description of the Pulse wireless headset, it seems carefully worded to suggest that it will bring the best out of the PS5s 3D sound, without deliberately saying that it's required for 3D sound. If they're pretty sound system is as I understand it, absolutely any headphones will work about as well as any others, since it's all on the software side.

Also it claims 12 hours a battery life but that's actually really low for the state of the art of wireless gaming headsets right now. The two new ones that Logitech just put have batteries that last about double that, and are probably way more comfortable and have a much more balanced sound profile, based on previous PlayStation headphones I've tried.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I can't speak for Playstation headphones at all but at least with PS4 you can stick a cheap $10 bluetooth adapter in your controller and then connect wireless earbuds to it. I use a cheap $40 set of wireless earbuds I got from amazon all the time and they've held up for 3 years now. They don't sound bad either unless you're some kind of audiophile but if you're an audiophile you probably avoid earbuds already.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

I can't speak for Playstation headphones at all but at least with PS4 you can stick a cheap $10 bluetooth adapter in your controller and then connect wireless earbuds to it. I use a cheap $40 set of wireless earbuds I got from amazon all the time and they've held up for 3 years now. They don't sound bad either unless you're some kind of audiophile but if you're an audiophile you probably avoid earbuds already.
TWS earbuds can sound totally decent. I have Samsung's and they are quite well balanced. The latency on them is usually terrible though. Wireless gaming headsets typically have under 50 milliseconds latency but TWS earbuds are usually like 200-300.

Edit: but then, I play lots of rhythm games so maybe my feeling isn't typical.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 26, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The PS5 controller will still have a headphone port right? If so, you can totally just buy some $30 KZ ZSTs or something and have a plenty good listening experience semi-wirelessly.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I cannot speak to the PS5 ones, but just plugging the dongle for my PS3 and PS4 headsets into both a PC and Mac has worked great. I have only used them for games though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Went out to get food yesterday from a place next to a GameStop, there was a queue of about 40-50 people outside, some of who had clearly camped overnight. While we picking up the food a guy came out to open the store and shepherded the first seven people inside, that was all the stock they’d been allocated.

Think I’m just gonna play through my backlog of overly-long jrpgs for the next several months and try for a PS5 in the spring. :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Apraxin posted:

Went out to get food yesterday from a place next to a GameStop, there was a queue of about 40-50 people outside, some of who had clearly camped overnight. While we picking up the food a guy came out to open the store and shepherded the first seven people inside, that was all the stock they’d been allocated.

Think I’m just gonna play through my backlog of overly-long jrpgs for the next several months and try for a PS5 in the spring. :(

GameStops get comically small shipments for stores that are dedicated to video games. You’d have better luck elsewhere.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, see my last adventurepost. GS not getting more consoles than anywhere else but they'll make you feel like they are the only place that's getting them.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Your best luck is gonna be Target day of at this point. I think they will even let you do pick up in store from an online order the midnight of.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
How many PS5's do you think SONY sold directly to consumers and why do you think they did that?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

How many PS5's do you think SONY sold directly to consumers and why do you think they did that?

They have a lot of data on people who are big users of their platform they can make sure get consoles early. People have become increasingly savvy about scooping up preorders, particularly for resale. I bet it is probably a number similar to the allotments they gave big retailers.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DuckHuntDog posted:

They have a lot of data on people who are big users of their platform they can make sure get consoles early. People have become increasingly savvy about scooping up preorders, particularly for resale. I bet it is probably a number similar to the allotments they gave big retailers.

also, bots can't scoop up pre-orders from Sony since they're tied to specific PSN usernames

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am very surprised at all the people ITT buying consoles in person at brick and mortar stores, to be honest.

I’d rather have (and am having) it delivered, especially with the rona going on.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

History Comes Inside! posted:

I am very surprised at all the people ITT buying consoles in person at brick and mortar stores, to be honest.

I’d rather have (and am having) it delivered, especially with the rona going on.

I'm having it delivered, but I can understand not wanting to have a $500 purchase left at your door when porch pirates are a problem in the holiday season.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

It will just bounce off like in Flight Sim.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

another inside job

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you live in a state where people wear masks 'rona is less of a big deal.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Phil is not a terrorist, he's the saviour of gaming.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

If you live in a state where people wear masks 'rona is less of a big deal.

I live in the U.K. so we have entirely random pockets of anti-mask dickheads instead of them being neatly organised by region.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Who’s the dude?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Crafty posted:

Phil is not a terrorist, he's the saviour of gaming.

boy is a frumpy goober stearing a leaky ship

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bum the Sad posted:

Who’s the dude?

A man with no games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

amazing how little has actually changed at MS since 3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-XcWCDfmE

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Oh Phil Spencer

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Even if the plane misses those hideous ps5's are coming down

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The Series X is probably better rocket launcher than a console since it has no games.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
jet fuel mountain dew can't melt steel beams plastic casings

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rad Valtar posted:

The Series X is probably better rocket launcher than a console since it has no games.

"Oh, I get it. Like the PS2 being a missile guidance system."
"No, an actual literal rocket launcher. Watch this."
"...nothing's happening."
"Goddamit, grandma bought me the One X!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Crafty posted:

Even if the plane misses those hideous ps5's are coming down

ps5 reminds me of sexy rear end curvy cars from the 50s