Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Eeyo posted:

I will say though that the oxo kettle made the lights in my apartment visibly flicker when it was boiling, but that may be more of an indictment of my apartment's electrical wiring than anything. I think it used a pulse-width modulation scheme (basically turning on/off the element to full power) to adjust the heating element power when it neared the temperature. I bought it for my work office though and there it's not been an issue, but I just wanted to make that note. It could be that other gooseneck kettles do that and it's only noticeable because the mains in my apartment is not up to the task.

Yeah, I use a gooseneck from Bonavita (https://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV382510V-Variable-Temperature-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40) and this happens whenever I'm using it in a room with slightly shittier wiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
This was mentioned in the thread already, but it was all the way back in 2014, so I'm mentioning it again.

Crio Bru brewed cacao. I drink about 16 fl oz. (~475 mL) Here's why:
  • The flavor. I like it so much better than coffee. It's nowhere near as bitter as coffee. Plus, I love the taste of cocoa. I typically add a creamer and sweeter to my cacao, but it's still good black.
  • Theobromine. As someone with anxiety but also ADHD/VAST, I'm pretty sensitive to stimulants. I find theobromine much more pleasant than caffeine. I don't have the same problems with jitters, anxious thoughts or problems sleeping.
  • Not as acidic as coffee, so I don't have to worry about how much it's going to gently caress up my teeth.
  • It contains a fair amount of magnesium.
  • Like most things containing a stimulant, this stuff works as an appetite suppressant for me.
Anecdotally, some of the effects claimed by the company such as improved mood --from the various mood-enhancing substances in the product and/or microbiome health from other substances-- seem to apply to me as well, but this could be the Placebo Effect. Certainly Selection Bias. They refer to the product as a "superfood" which is largely used for marketing as there is no officially recognized definition of the term that I am aware of.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thank you for posting that! My partner has similar conditions to yourself, including the caffeine sensitivity, and she just began a job that starts at 6AM. I will give this a try!

Can it be cold brewed?

I wonder if I will like it- I don’t like coffee, but I do enjoy chocolate, and matcha/mate etc also.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, that could taste good, but keep it away from the dogs. I wouldn’t jump in on any of the unsubstantiated health benefits, but I do the same for any food claiming health benefits without testing. It does seem like you basically are going to get the same product every time unless you get the artificially flavored stuff. So it’s too bad they can’t find a way to give some variation without it. Everyone loves the variation on the theme these days.

And if you like it and it’s not actively killing you, then keep on drinking it.

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thank you for posting that! My partner has similar conditions to yourself, including the caffeine sensitivity, and she just began a job that starts at 6AM. I will give this a try!

Can it be cold brewed?

I wonder if I will like it- I don’t like coffee, but I do enjoy chocolate, and matcha/mate etc also.

Absolutely it can be cold brewed. Just brew like normal or double strength and pour over ice. It can be made in French press, pour-over, percolator or just a regular coffee maker, though I recommend a bolder/stronger setting if possible. Cacao takes a bit longer to release all of the good stuff than coffee grounds.

Since your partner has a caffeine sensitivity, I highly recommend they start with no more than say 8 fl oz. (~240 mL) to see how they react to it and like it first. As with caffeine or any other stimulant, theobromine acts as a diuretic, so make sure your partner stays well hydrated and has easy access to facilities. ;)

Jhet posted:

Yeah, that could taste good, but keep it away from the dogs. I wouldn’t jump in on any of the unsubstantiated health benefits, but I do the same for any food claiming health benefits without testing. It does seem like you basically are going to get the same product every time unless you get the artificially flavored stuff. So it’s too bad they can’t find a way to give some variation without it. Everyone loves the variation on the theme these days.

And if you like it and it’s not actively killing you, then keep on drinking it.
Keeping away from dogs cannot be stressed enough.

Their website lists a fair number of legitimate sources on their benefits claims, though. Check out the references on this page. https://criobru.com/pages/crio-bru-brewed-cacao

EDIT: Also, their fulfillment times are slower than usual due to the pandemic and somewhat higher product demand.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just had my first yellow tea today. I did no research on what yellow teas taste like, and just ordered one sample along with the rest of a bigger sample order. I expected it to be quite weak and worse than green tea for the bits I don't like, it was the opposite. Looking it up after my surprise at the first mug, whatever steaming method they do it takes out all the parts of green (and some oolongs) I don't like. And it was still quite a strong flavour. I am pleased.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Another primarily coffee-drinker here.
I've started drinking "Taylors of Harrogate English Breakfast" loose leaf tea I found at the local Whole Foods. I really like how bold and DRY it is (if that makes sense?)
What should I be looking at if I wanted something similar to that bold, dry profile, but maybe a step up from my supermarket fare?
tia :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

betterinsodapop posted:

Another primarily coffee-drinker here.
I've started drinking "Taylors of Harrogate English Breakfast" loose leaf tea I found at the local Whole Foods. I really like how bold and DRY it is (if that makes sense?)
What should I be looking at if I wanted something similar to that bold, dry profile, but maybe a step up from my supermarket fare?

English Breakfast tea is usually a mix of Assams and my favorite lately is the Vahdam daily Assam. Bold, dry finish, very reasonably priced: https://www.vahdamteas.com/products/daily-assam-black-tea You might also look into some first flush Darjeeling for that dry finish.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Sirotan posted:

English Breakfast tea is usually a mix of Assams and my favorite lately is the Vahdam daily Assam. Bold, dry finish, very reasonably priced: https://www.vahdamteas.com/products/daily-assam-black-tea You might also look into some first flush Darjeeling for that dry finish.
Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! Going to order this Assam.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010

betterinsodapop posted:

That "dryness" might be the brightness that a ceylon tea can bring to a blend. Many "english breakfast" tea blends are assam and ceylon teas. My go-to morning tea is Upton's Organic English Breakfast tea, an assam /ceylon blend. Harney & Sons also sells a number of breakfast blends. Their "Organic Breakfast" sounds similar to that Taylor of Harrogate tea, at least as far as tea origins go.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
A "drying sensation" in tea is generally astringency from tannins. It's very culturally dependent whether or not this is desirable. You'll get more of it in "lower grade" (small leaf and crushed teas) so in the west and in south-east Asia we generally equate it with cheaper teas. Meanwhile, in Sri Lanka, parts of India and much of the Arab world the opposite may be true.

Seek out some Ceylon tea of the "dust" grading to taste the extreme end of this scale.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Higher temp brews will bring out more astringency as well, but will also affect the flavor. Your [nationality] Breakfast brews tend to be best just below boiling.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I fell down this dryness/astringency rabbit hole with that Taylor's of Harrogate loose leaf. I ran out of it once, and tried a number of different bagged English Breakfast teas, and found them totally lacking that dry finish I really enjoyed. I've since decided that the Taylor's is the only tea I really like that is available easily/cheaply and at my local supermarket. Today, they were out of the loose leaf Taylor's, but had the bagged version and... it was bland and lacking the finish I was craving. Going nuts, haha.

Thank you all for the various suggestions and threads to pull. I'll start out trying some Assams, Ceylons, Darjeelings, and blends containing the 3.
Great community in this thread. :)

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Tried my first cup of proper tea today. I bought some loose leaf tea from this place, and a this tea infuser per someones recommendation. It was really pleasant. No bitterness or astringency to speak of.

I know quite a bit about brewing speciality coffee, but high-quality tea is a new experience for me. The tea I chose is a Nilgiri Frost Tea. It tastes like a really nice black tea. I brewed about 3.3 grams of it in 330ml of 95c water, and steeped for 5 minutes.

I am a little confused about the concept of reinfusing? Does this just refer to people wanting a second cup in the same session, and sticking the same leaves back in some fresh water to get another cup? Or are people drying out tea and rebrewing the same leaves days later?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You just steep the leaves again the same day when you’re doing multiple infusions. With most green and oolong you can easily get 3-5 infusions. With some black/red tea you can get a few too. A lot of Indian tea I find doesn’t take well to multiple, and any other similarly dark and strong black teas. I find it gets tannic and doesn’t taste good, but ymmv.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gunder posted:

Tried my first cup of proper tea today. I bought some loose leaf tea from this place, and a this tea infuser per someones recommendation. It was really pleasant. No bitterness or astringency to speak of.

I know quite a bit about brewing speciality coffee, but high-quality tea is a new experience for me. The tea I chose is a Nilgiri Frost Tea. It tastes like a really nice black tea. I brewed about 3.3 grams of it in 330ml of 95c water, and steeped for 5 minutes.

I am a little confused about the concept of reinfusing? Does this just refer to people wanting a second cup in the same session, and sticking the same leaves back in some fresh water to get another cup? Or are people drying out tea and rebrewing the same leaves days later?

When you reinfuse, you just pour fresh water in and brew the same leaves. Usually you up the steeping time a bit.

For that much water, I would use a lot more leaf. I use 7-8 g. of leaf most sessions, and for a black tea I'd lower the steep time to 30 seconds to a minute. That will allow you to get several good re-steepings and allow the tea's flavor profile to evolve over those steepings. You'll use more leaf, but you'll get better brews and the tea will go a lot further. I brew gongfu style in a 125 mL gaiwan with 8 grams of tea for 10 seconds at a time and I get rich, excellent brews out of it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ThatNateGuy posted:

This was mentioned in the thread already, but it was all the way back in 2014, so I'm mentioning it again.

Crio Bru brewed cacao.

How are you brewing it?

I tried it a few years back and liked the finished beverage, but it was a gigantic pain in the rear end to clean out of my french press.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Heath posted:

When you reinfuse, you just pour fresh water in and brew the same leaves. Usually you up the steeping time a bit.

For that much water, I would use a lot more leaf. I use 7-8 g. of leaf most sessions, and for a black tea I'd lower the steep time to 30 seconds to a minute. That will allow you to get several good re-steepings and allow the tea's flavor profile to evolve over those steepings. You'll use more leaf, but you'll get better brews and the tea will go a lot further. I brew gongfu style in a 125 mL gaiwan with 8 grams of tea for 10 seconds at a time and I get rich, excellent brews out of it.

Thanks for this. Got myself a little Gaiwan and a tulip cup and will try out some gongfu this week! Looks fun!

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Gunder posted:

Thanks for this. Got myself a little Gaiwan and a tulip cup and will try out some gongfu this week! Looks fun!

Gongfu is pretty good but it's a weird technique which I can never understand, Heath has some videos that you can see in this thread of them doing gonfu, worth a watch!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I've been watching a whole load of videos on it. It seems like a good way to get the most out of your leaves!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Misty Fog posted:

Gongfu is pretty good but it's a weird technique which I can never understand, Heath has some videos that you can see in this thread of them doing gonfu, worth a watch!

Gongfu, at its core, is brew more leaf in less water for shorter times. Quick, powerful extractions.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Heath posted:

Gongfu, at its core, is brew more leaf in less water for shorter times. Quick, powerful extractions.

Yep, and temperature management, what with the rinsing of the cups.

The one thing I am in two minds about is the rinsing of the actual tea. For some blacks with a lot of orange and/or oily dust, or very tightly compacted pu-erh I get it, but for delicate and hairy greens, whites and light oolongs it seems like a waste.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Skip the rinse for unrolled lightly oxcidized/fragrant teas imho. You end up throwing away lots of nice tea.
I began skipping the rinses for everything but compressed puerhs for a while, and I tended to get more out of my tea. For rolled teas I ended up going back to rinsing even though the teas were lightly oxcidized. It's hard to control parameters with unopened/compressed leaves...
I've also seen recommendations for two rinses or long rinses (10 secs), and that also seems like a complete waste.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I do 10 second rinses. I haven't felt like I've been losing much. I generally rinse things that are rolled or packed tightly - I'm not sure how much actual "dirt" and stuff comes off in a rinse of anything, but the real key for me is to get the leaves to open up so that you're exposing more surface area. I will do a 10 second rinse on rolled oolongs, Pu'erhs and gyokuro. Most of the actual opening of the leaves comes from them being steamed within the gaiwan or pot once you've poured off the rinse, especially higher temperature brews where you can just leave the lid on.

Repaired Radio
Nov 13, 2017

Heath posted:

Most of the actual opening of the leaves comes from them being steamed within the gaiwan or pot once you've poured off the rinse, especially higher temperature brews where you can just leave the lid on.

this is a bit what i do for compressed stuff, a 5 second rinse, close the lid, let the leaves hang out for a bit. lets the water and steam soak in and loosen things up

Gunder
May 22, 2003

For my second "proper" tea I tried brewing this raw PuErh Gong Fu style. I bought a little Gaiwan and cup set. About 60ml capacity. I brewed as per that site's recommendation, and it was lovely and sweet. Got around 12 infusions out of it. A very nice experience, definitely better than western brewing in terms of flavour and extraction.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

For my second "proper" tea I tried brewing this raw PuErh Gong Fu style. I bought a little Gaiwan and cup set. About 60ml capacity. I brewed as per that site's recommendation, and it was lovely and sweet. Got around 12 infusions out of it. A very nice experience, definitely better than western brewing in terms of flavour and extraction.

I love this brewing method. I definitely have to be much more deliberate about sitting down for a session but I end up looking forward to doing it every time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mei Leaf has a lot of videos about gongfu brewing and how to get the most out of your tea. Great resource, especially the way he talks about the flavors and aromas of tea.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I watched a lot of their videos over the week. Seems like a great resource, and they have a large selection of teas to choose from.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It was on his advice that I started brewing my gyokuro cooler and longer, and it really did make it better.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Sirotan posted:

As per your suggestion, I ordered some black teas from Vahdam. I've started drinking the daily Assam, and it is GREAT. I got a few other varieties of black tea (Darjeeling, English Breakfast) that I haven't opened yet, but can't wait to try. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

betterinsodapop posted:

As per your suggestion, I ordered some black teas from Vahdam. I've started drinking the daily Assam, and it is GREAT. I got a few other varieties of black tea (Darjeeling, English Breakfast) that I haven't opened yet, but can't wait to try. Thanks for the recommendation!

Hell yeah. I actually need to order some too as I'm totally out and was trying to drink down a bunch of the other tea I've already got instead of just drinking their daily Assam uh....daily, but I'm starting to have withdrawals.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Are most teas generally fine to brew "Western style" without losing a ton of the mileage you can get out of the leaves? I love gongfu but it's definitely not practical for preparing tea during work.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

The Postman posted:

Are most teas generally fine to brew "Western style" without losing a ton of the mileage you can get out of the leaves? I love gongfu but it's definitely not practical for preparing tea during work.

I’ve been lazily brewing my Keemuns and Dian Hongs western style lately, and they do fine. It’s not the same rich experience as gong fu by far, but I can get three potent steepings out of the good ones which is enough for all day when I’m drinking out of a 16 oz mug. The steeping times are generally 3 min, 5 min, and 8 min, though the last can be much longer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's been my experience too. A simple mug infuser has been my office go-to for years. I rarely go for a third steep though.

That said, I haven't been in the office since mid-March and recently became full-time remote so... I don't know, maybe I can get all fancy now?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

The Postman posted:

If you pitch the leaves on a tea you spent twenty bucks on and you have like a quarter pound of em then it's not as cost effective but there's nothing that stops you from doing so, and until you start getting to teas that are fifty bucks for a quarter pound you're not really losing too much vs. gongfu. However, you don't need to prepare tea during work in the same way, you can just keep adding hot water to leaves and drink through them during the day and it's fine too.

When I used to work in a call center I would take a full thermos of hot water and brew tea at my desk the whole day. When I worked in another call center I just brought a hot water dispenser in and just dispensed water throughout the day. Anecdotally, when I was in south Brazil a few years ago people would just walk around with air pump thermoses and they'd dispense water for yerba mate wherever they went - they even make special holders that you can hang in your car to make a chimarrao while you're stuck in traffic, which is kind of a silly concept until you're actually in traffic.

Anyway, I digress, it just depends on how you view consumption and waste. I would say that if you have a tea you drink all the time it is likely not on that "fifty bucks a quarter pound" category, so you're probably fine.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Cool, thanks for the advice everyone! Is the time between steeps pretty flexible if I'm trying to stretch some leaves throughout the work day? Or should I try to keep it within x minutes/hours/whatever of the last steep?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I dunno if people poo on tea blends the way whiskey snobs poo on blended whiskeys BUT...
the Vahdam English Breakfast blend is pretty great.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

betterinsodapop posted:

I dunno if people poo on tea blends the way whiskey snobs poo on blended whiskeys BUT...
the Vahdam English Breakfast blend is pretty great.

Depends on the tea snob, but itt people just leave you to drink whatever you like. I like pricey tea, but I still have a box of Yorkshire Gold in the cupboard because sometimes I’m lazy and that’s just fine.

What about that blend makes it pretty great for you? I enjoy a good malty breakfast blend myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
^^Same on the box of Yorkshire Gold in the cupboard.

I’ve been drinking Irish Breakfast every morning forever and my love of more expensive teas hasn’t changed that. I used to buy Twinings blend, but they raised the price in Canada to almost $10/100g when I can get a pound of it from Murchies for less than $30 CDN during fairly regular sales and it’s better quality.