Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Sometimes someone's just randomly pushing pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm pretty bad (~1k in rapid on lichess) and have discovered that raging brazilians have found their way to this as well.

I was up 3 pawns in end game, declined a draw, then the guy just said "have fun waiting 6 minutes" and went into a posting rage. Good stuff.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 20, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://lichess.org/sP2I6RN4H2rg

Back to 2400 blitz and got there by making the opponent rage quit. Outside of one mistake it's even a decently played game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Proud of this one since I managed to trick my opponent into losing their queen, with less than 20 seconds on the clock for me, in what felt like a bad position. It's not forced by any means but I'm still happy about it.

White to move, I "attack" the Queen with my Knight.

Opponent is like pfft whatever, check and I'll take the Knight.

But after I move and they take the Knight, they're right where I wanted them to be

And then I converted into a victory by resignation

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Or Black could’ve just taken ...Qxe4. ...Qh3+ also looks dangerous, followed by ...Qxc3, and your pawn structure is in shambles.

Many a great tactic have been foiled by a zwischenzug.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

What's a fun book for a chess newbie that's just started playing (900) ? I don't actually want theory. I want cool fun stories. Like I just read about the Immortal Game and about the origin of Zwischenzug. Maybe this is more of a youtube chess channel request now that I think about it...? Like : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHydkEARVKE

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

When you say you just read about the Immortal Game, does that mean you just read The Immortal Game by David Shenk? Because if not, that might be one to start with.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

When you say you just read about the Immortal Game, does that mean you just read The Immortal Game by David Shenk? Because if not, that might be one to start with.

I read about it in a tiny blurb in the lexicon on chess.com haha. Okay I'll start with that.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess is a great little book.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just found out about "Draw by insufficient material in timeout" and it cracked me up for a bit.

Chess: Just a lone king against a king, two rooks, a pawn, and a queen, but they lost on time. So you win. But you can't actually win. Draw.

Chess: *adds one pawn* Yo you could've totally had that man you win.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Artelier posted:

I just found out about "Draw by insufficient material in timeout" and it cracked me up for a bit.

Chess: Just a lone king against a king, two rooks, a pawn, and a queen, but they lost on time. So you win. But you can't actually win. Draw.

Chess: *adds one pawn* Yo you could've totally had that man you win.

..still theory

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
This isn't actually a FIDE rule though is it?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Today I had my first ever "Opponent pins own Queen to King during attack."

After takes takes...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

qsvui posted:

This isn't actually a FIDE rule though is it?

I think there’s a level of discretion which leads to it being ruled differently in blitz and classical, and also this change is recent. It came up in the blitz world championship, where Firouzja was adjudicated a loss instead of a draw.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Queen's Gambit is now out on Netflix. I'm two eps in and enjoying it so far. Haven't seen any hype for it and I can't figure why not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sub Rosa posted:

The Queen's Gambit is now out on Netflix. I'm two eps in and enjoying it so far. Haven't seen any hype for it and I can't figure why not.

I mean most people prefer the Slav these days...

Edit: im really going to regret making a joke here I bet huh.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sub Rosa posted:

I saw that last night but was too tired to check it out and forgot about it thanks for the reminder. How is the chess in it?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kasparov was who they consulted with for most of the positions seen, they took a lot of care with it.

There are some things I didn't like, like they just can't get away from the image of tipping your own king over to resign. Other things I wouldn't want to discuss with anyone unspoiled I guess.

Overall having finished binging it, I liked it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Not having finished it, it feels like it plays a little bit into "Genius means being tortured by mental illness and addiction" which I'm not a huge fan of - too often it has that subtext that if you deal with your issues it takes away the only thing that makes you unique/worthwhile, although it isn't nearly as bad as other movies or series like House or A Beautiful Mind.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

There are some things I didn't like, like they just can't get away from the image of tipping your own king over to resign.

I've had this discussion with a writer before. His answer was that he wanted to keep to a visual shorthand that lay audiences would understand.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

US Championship starts today. I think it's sort of unofficial since it's online? Also not at classical time control?

https://www.uschesschamps.com/2020-us-championships/2020-us-championship

I'll be watching the coverage on Hikaru's twitch channel. St Louis I think will have official coverage.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

This is me now, it's really good so far

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is me now, it's really good so far

I am enjoying as well.

D4 crew represent.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Speaking of which I'm looking for some good resources for responses to D4. Generally play the queen's Indian but always feel on the back foot and need to gain some knowledge.

I'm up to 1600 in lichess playing exclusively 10 minute games so need to develop a more than superficial understanding of the theory.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Generally play the queen's Indian but always feel on the back foot and need to gain some knowledge.

This is generally what happens when you play the Queen's Indian. It's not an opening that lets black choose what to do.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But Karpov played it against Kasparov in their first meeting and makes me feel like Karpov so that's honestly enough.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

algebra testes posted:

But Karpov played it against Kasparov in their first meeting and makes me feel like Karpov so that's honestly enough.

Karpov was famous for moving his pieces back to the back rank. So the QI can let you play like Karpov, sure, but that’s no solution to having to play passively.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Been playing on and off (off because my God this game can be bad for my mental well being) but today I made a "comeback" from this:

I say "comeback" because I feel like I definitely should've lost that game. Down a whole piece, and all I could do was harass the King while picking up the odd pawn with check. Tried to force a draw by repetition but they slowly walked the King from the corner to the middle and back to the corner.

The key moment was here, when they decided to block with the pawn instead of with the Queen (to avoid a draw):

I thought I saw forced checkmate from there, so I moved Queen to D6, they have to block with pawn to G6, and I mate:

...of course, I don't think this was forced at all and if they just...didn't walk the King all the way to the corner like this, I would've probably lost. Still kinda happy that I managed to see a 3 move sequence from an opponent blunder though! I'm getting better!

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Speaking of which I'm looking for some good resources for responses to D4. Generally play the queen's Indian but always feel on the back foot and need to gain some knowledge.

I'm up to 1600 in lichess playing exclusively 10 minute games so need to develop a more than superficial understanding of the theory.

If you want to get positions where you feel like you're on more or less even footing with white, I'd suggest the QGD. If you're using the QID, you will often be on the back foot, even if your position is ultimately fine. If you want something a little more dynamic, the Nimzo-Indian is another good choice.

genericuser
Mar 1, 2007

[insert clever comment here]

Hand Knit posted:

https://lichess.org/sP2I6RN4H2rg

Back to 2400 blitz and got there by making the opponent rage quit. Outside of one mistake it's even a decently played game.

Nice. White seemed to push too much on the Kingside I thought?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

genericuser posted:

Nice. White seemed to push too much on the Kingside I thought?

f4-f5 leaves the g pawns hopelessly backwards. The double-g-pawns also mean that white never has a prospective break to get them through on either the f- or h-file. What white should've been doing was playing for c3, and pursuing play on the queenside.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I watched the first three episodes of The Queen's Gambit. It's pretty good, and they treat chess better than I expected, save for two things.

Chess is a game of thinking and they showed very little of it. Every game's tempo is like bullet even though time controls are 90 or 120 minutes per player. When confronted with a difficult, unexpected move, players make an Ugh! face and respond in seconds... instead of burying face in hands and thinking for 20 minutes. Sure, you can't show that in real time, but some kind of time lapse could make it interesting.

Also, tournaments are exhausting. I started doing them at a similar age like her, and after a 3 hour game I could barely walk home. Sure she's a genius and maybe on the autistic spectrum or whatever, but still she has a human body. After a full school day and a few tournament games against adults, she shouldn't be machine--like.

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have a good resource (doesn't have to be free) for learning specific openings in depth? I've been having a lot of fun with the Vienna Gambit and the move order comes up a lot, but it'd be great to have the variations down to a science to save time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Posting Imam posted:

Does anyone have a good resource (doesn't have to be free) for learning specific openings in depth? I've been having a lot of fun with the Vienna Gambit and the move order comes up a lot, but it'd be great to have the variations down to a science to save time.

Have you used lichess.org’s opening explorer? They show you the most popular lines - and, if you prefer instead, the most optimal lines per Stockfish - and you can see how many masters have played them, etc. Etc.

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ulmont posted:

Have you used lichess.org’s opening explorer? They show you the most popular lines - and, if you prefer instead, the most optimal lines per Stockfish - and you can see how many masters have played them, etc. Etc.

Yeah, I know those options are available and I try to use them but to be honest, sometimes the computer and master lines are inscrutable to me and I end up playing the "best" move because that's how far I studied but I don't know why or even what the general plan was. I've been thinking about hiring a chess teacher or just asking someone smarter and better than me for help.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Posting Imam posted:

Yeah, I know those options are available and I try to use them but to be honest, sometimes the computer and master lines are inscrutable to me and I end up playing the "best" move because that's how far I studied but I don't know why or even what the general plan was.

Ok. Two things then.

1) I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “in depth” now; overall themes and possible goals? I ask because every “in depth” opening resource I’ve seen rapidly turns into “here’s the best move in this variant, here are the other options, here’s an example game for this variant by dead master X, etc...

2) you might want to check out decode chess. Load up a game in your opening of choice and they give a lot more info that usual in semi-human analysis of why particular moves were good.

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, this decodechess is probably what I was looking for. I just get confounded because the engine will go "time for H3" and I don't know why, then I'll do some other move I think is good and it just keeps telling me to do H3 and I feel like I can't get good advice from it until I do whatever move it wanted.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I think I might've just played Lev Psahkis.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Posting Imam posted:

Thanks, this decodechess is probably what I was looking for. I just get confounded because the engine will go "time for H3" and I don't know why, then I'll do some other move I think is good and it just keeps telling me to do H3 and I feel like I can't get good advice from it until I do whatever move it wanted.

You can have engines show you multiple lines. So if h3 is the best move, you can also see what is 2nd, 3rd, 4th best moves/lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Hand Knit posted:

I think I might've just played Lev Psahkis.

You had him on the ropes!
Maybe you should've taken on c6 with the bishop? Not let him trade his cramped rook for your good rook...