Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This week's episode was flipping awesome. I hope this keeps getting better and better because holy poo poo.

He needs to find out where this dude parked his ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for Mando to get an omnicidal droid companion, which seem to be all the rage

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for Mando to get an omnicidal droid companion, which seem to be all the rage

His first love in IG11 died so he had to replace him with Richard Ayoade

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Arcsquad12 posted:

Much as I hate Ziro the Hutt i have to admit that turning Nal Hutta into space Louisiana made me laugh.

Oh Jesus, I forgot about Mama the Hutt.
"Who gon pay fo mah doh?"

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Just replace Cara Dune with Kara Thrace. Sackhoff was great in this episode. Bo can be Mando’s new badass lady friend.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Just replace Cara Dune with Kara Thrace. Sackhoff was great in this episode. Bo can be Mando’s new badass lady friend.

If anything, she'll be given her own series about the retaking of Mandalore.

Unless that's the direction The Mandalorian is eventually going to go in. Either one would be cool.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pops Mgee posted:

Keep Cara Dune, just get Frankie Adams to play her.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Pops Mgee posted:

Picturing Dave Filoni putting down his phone after reading Gina Carano's facebook, sighing, and writing a scene where Bo Katan shoots Cara Dune in the face

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, just jettison Carano and recast Cara. It’s not like she’s an irreplaceable acting heavyweight.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pops Mgee posted:

I don't see that working. Bo-Katan isn't Din's "badass lady friend." A continuing relationship between Bo and Din would be boss/employee, commander/solder, master/servant. Cara Dune is a tough ex-Rebel who likes killing Imperials. She and Din are relative equals in terms of fighting, status, etc. Bo-Katan is a former and would-be warrior queen. The Mandalore. Everything she did in this episode was in direct service to that. From saving him and the Child on the boat, to saving him and the Child on the dock to pressuring him into helping get the weapons, to not telling him that the real objective was taking the ship, to offering him a place with her to keeping her word and giving him the information he sought so they left on semi-friendly terms.

Bo-Katan isn't evil, but she's ambitious and very focused on taking back both her homeworld and her right to rule it. Being Din's fight (possibly gently caress) buddy is not her role in this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Everyone posted:

Bo-Katan isn't evil,

idk about that, she’s a nationalist reactionary militant. She ends up looking less insane than the other parties involved in Mandalorian politics and her militancy seems like a much better idea after the galaxy gets taken over by fascists, but she’s still not a good person just because she’s violently revolting against bad guys — she was violently revolting before the bad guys showed up. Also she once slapped an adolescent hostage on the rear end

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A.o.D. posted:

If anything, she'll be given her own series about the retaking of Mandalore.

Unless that's the direction The Mandalorian is eventually going to go in. Either one would be cool.

I'm now imagining a 2-episode arc maybe in Season 3 that plays out similar to the events in Mad Max: Fury Road with Bo-Katan in the Furiosa role and Din in the Max role :allears:

[edit] I can already see the season finale with Bo-Katan rising up again and her seeing Din disappear into a large, uproarious crowd of Mandalorians as they exchange acknowledging nods after restoring order to the Mandalore throne.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 14, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

skasion posted:

idk about that, she’s a nationalist reactionary militant. She ends up looking less insane than the other parties involved in Mandalorian politics and her militancy seems like a much better idea after the galaxy gets taken over by fascists, but she’s still not a good person just because she’s violently revolting against bad guys — she was violently revolting before the bad guys showed up. Also she once slapped an adolescent hostage on the rear end

Okay, Bo-Katan is evil - at least in terms of not being perfectly good, I guess. In the end though, how many folks in Star Wars or anything are perfectly good?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

teagone posted:

I'm now imagining a 2-episode arc maybe in Season 3 that plays out similar to the events in Mad Max: Fury Road with Bo-Katan in the Furiosa role and Din in the Max role :allears:

[edit] I can already see the season finale with Bo-Katan rising up again and her seeing Din disappear into a large, uproarious crowd of Mandalorians as they exchange acknowledging nods after restoring order to the Mandalore throne.
I like this. They could have a scene with Din whiffing with his disintegrator rifle a few times, seeing Bo-Katan just standing there patiently, then sheepishly handing the rifle to her so she could noscope Imperial Gus Fring.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

She rubbed me the wrong way in this episode but my loyalty is to Din. Though I’m going to try and watch Clone Wars to see her story in order to better learn her motivations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Everyone posted:

Okay, Bo-Katan is evil - at least in terms of not being perfectly good, I guess. In the end though, how many folks in Star Wars or anything are perfectly good?

It’s not about being perfectly good, it’s more like of all the reasons to become a star warrior, a nostalgic idealism that fetishizes a way of life based on violence and conquest is not a good one. Like, Han Solo is a bad dude for sure, but at the end of the day he’s a bad dude because he’s broke and it’s his job to run drugs for the mob. Bo-Katan is an interesting character, but she came from a privileged background and chose to live by the gun. the word I would use to describe her is “noble” moreso than “good”.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 15, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Everyone posted:

Chewie :colbert:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

skasion posted:

It’s not about being perfectly good, it’s more like of all the reasons to become a star warrior, a nostalgic idealism that fetishizes a way of life based on violence and conquest is not a good one. Like, Han Solo is a bad dude for sure, but at the end of the day he’s a bad dude because he’s broke and it’s his job to run drugs for the mob. Bo-Katan is an interesting character, but she came from a privileged background and chose to live by the gun. the word I would use to describe her is “noble” moreso than “good”.

True enough. From what I got from the fandom Wiki, Bo-Katan starts out as something like Mandalorian Osama bin-Laden. She makes bad choices and unwise allies and a lot of her "character growth" comes from dismantling stuff she helped put into place - which isn't the worst arc when it comes to Star Wars. Still at this point she seems to be one of the only beings interested in (and capable of) freeing Mandalore from the remnants of the Empire so she's kind of we'll take what we can get.

It would not surprise me even a little if she beats the Empire only to have Din take her out to stop her from doing some kind of psychotic genocidal vengeance or something. Cue live action Sabine Wren?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Disney ruined Chewie by making him a centrist. That is now canon.

[edit] Lmao, here's the tweet for context:

https://twitter.com/DavidMann95/status/1211068326933401600

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Chewie isn't a centrist. He's a "Hanist." He's "ride or die" with Han Solo. Full stop.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

teagone posted:

[edit] Lmao, here's the tweet for context:

https://twitter.com/DavidMann95/status/1211068326933401600

wait what

Because he stayed with Han instead of helping Leia with the Resistance?

ed: ok whoever wrote that is a moron because Chewie, a being literally enslaved by the empire at one point, has never been “apolitical” :wtc:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

wait what

ed: ok whoever wrote that is a moron because Chewie, a being literally enslaved by the empire at one point, has never been “apolitical” :wtc:

They may have enslaved him, but they did feed him all those prisoners before Han found him so...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

wait what

Chewbacca: Wow! Being enslaved totally sucked! Anyways, I think the votes should be re-counted, there's a lot of fake news out there!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Chewie: Rawwar rarraw waaaaaarrrr!

Han: Good people on both sides??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Turns out Chewie’s a Libertarian and that’s why he’s always hanging out with someone 1/8th his age.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Turns out Chewie’s a Libertarian and that’s why he’s always hanging out with someone 1/8th his age.

:master:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chewie in Biden: arghhrhrhrhrhrhr
Han: you said it chewie, where did you dig up that old fossil?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wookie:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thought the first season was good, if not a little bit of a mixed bag. So far, season 2 has been 3 total bangers in a row though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shouldn't Din probably get a paint job for his armor? It seems like Beskar armor is more trouble than it's worth if every time he strolls into a cantina some scumbags are gonna try to murder him and steal it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

fartknocker posted:

Stuff than the Thrawn trilogy (Which were basically the sequel trilogy of the old EU) or the X-wing series are usually well regarded, as are stuff like the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, Darth Plagueis, and Shatterpoint, to name a few books at semi-random. Some of those are downright excellent, particularly the Wraith Squadron books of the X-wing series.

I'm a big nerd and own all the X-Wing books amongst other EU material that I bought when I was a kid and I can say that absolutely none of it is objectively excellent or even good when compared to actual literature. I'm not trying to sound a snob or anything, and it's fine to read as escapist fluff but in terms of actual artistic merit its mostly dogshit. I reread all the X-Wing series a few years ago and even with the nostalgia value I'm not sure it was worth it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm a big nerd and own all the X-Wing books amongst other EU material that I bought when I was a kid and I can say that absolutely none of it is objectively excellent or even good when compared to actual literature. I'm not trying to sound a snob or anything, and it's fine to read as escapist fluff but in terms of actual artistic merit its mostly dogshit. I reread all the X-Wing series a few years ago and even with the nostalgia value I'm not sure it was worth it.

IMO, it does come off as a snob when you’re using terms like “actual literature” and “artistic merit” as a way to criticize Star Wars books, nobody is going to compare them to something like Dune or whatever other pillar of sci-fi you’d like. I reread the X-wing books a few months ago prior to Squadrons coming out, thinking they wouldn’t hold up at all, and if anything they were better than I remember when I was younger. If someone likes Star Wars and is looking for more of anything in that fictional setting, they’re entertaining and enjoyable, which I think applies to a good number of EU books (There is also a lot of absolute crap too). I’m not seeking out Star Wars books in general looking for something that’s gonna push the boundaries of fictional prose (I don’t think anyone would or should), I just want well written stories about X-wings or rebels or whatever in a setting I like, and a lot of them deliver just that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Thought the first season was good, if not a little bit of a mixed bag. So far, season 2 has been 3 total bangers in a row though.

I was enjoying Season 2 a lot (the Genosis arc rocks) until it got to the space Australians. That poo poo was irredeemable. Camp as gently caress, but without any irony. Killed my watch stone dead.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

fartknocker posted:

I’m not seeking out Star Wars books in general looking for something that’s gonna push the boundaries of fictional prose (I don’t think anyone would or should), I just want well written stories about X-wings or rebels or whatever in a setting I like, and a lot of them deliver just that.

Yeah fair enough, I wasn't trying to poo poo on you particularly and I tend towards the hyperbolic in my posting style. That said I get the impression (maybe falsely) that there are some people out there who only read very specifically around whatever niche property they're into and don't really go beyond that, even though they would be more than capable of enjoying plenty of other stuff. I guess I'm projecting based on my own experience of reading a bunch of EU stuff when I was young and then coming back to it after an interim of ~15 years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Butterfly Valley posted:

For every one great thing in the X-Wing books there’s at least two “and now here’s a paragraph about Gavin making out with his furry elf horse girlfriend” moments. And I say that as someone who used to adore those books and comics and painted a full-size Wedge helmet replica.

Like most old EU things, they’re best left to nostalgic memories and shouldn’t be revisited.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

I mean, he’ll straight up maim somebody for beating him at space chess. That’s not cool.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For every one great thing in the X-Wing books there’s at least two “and now here’s a paragraph about Gavin making out with his furry elf horse girlfriend” moments. And I say that as someone who used to adore those books and comics and painted a full-size Wedge helmet replica.

Like most old EU things, they’re best left to nostalgic memories and shouldn’t be revisited.

I was highly invested in the love triangle between Corran Horn, Mirax Terrik and Erisi Dlarit when I was a clueless 12 year old. gently caress me for even remembering those names

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was enjoying Season 2 a lot (the Genosis arc rocks) until it got to the space Australians. That poo poo was irredeemable. Camp as gently caress, but without any irony. Killed my watch stone dead.

Just skip to Season 3. Way better. Or, poo poo, just skip to the last couple-three episode of Season two.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lots of wrong opinions about Rebels itt

As Nero Danced posted:

Also, is there a rebels watch guide? I've found a couple for clone wars but none for the other show.

The correct watch guide for Rebels is to watch every episode, because it's a great series.

The one not to watch is Resistance, because it's very, very kiddy, and it tries and fails to make the First Order and the sequels coherent and relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I was highly invested in the love triangle between Corran Horn, Mirax Terrik and Erisi Dlarit when I was a clueless 12 year old. gently caress me for even remembering those names

:same:, although in terms of EU cringe every single Young Jedi Knights/New Jedi Order romance is somehow worse.