Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It blows my mind that some people can read so fast. Like, even if I stayed up all night to read I'd barely dent the thing. It took me probably 40 minutes to read the prologue, and I've already read it once before so I wasn't even like "Wait what" at certain parts.

RoW Interlude 1 posted:

Then blackness took her. A fuller blackness than the absence of light. It was the split moment that her father could create. Time was a funny thing. It was always flowing along in the background like a river, but bring too much power to bear, and it warped. It slowed; it wanted to pause and take a look. Anytime too much power—too much Investiture, too much self —congregated, realms became porous and time behaved oddly.

That's... interesting :thunk:

The whole list of names on the "Interludes" page were a set of names I was not expecting. I mean, I wasn't really expecting anything, but if you forced me to list a few characters... Yea, never would've guessed 2/3 of them :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah I'm going to have to reread it, but I'm one of those who will plow through the whole thing at record pace the first read just to get to the payoff.

(that and :ssh: :filez: but I'm picking up the hardback Saturday)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just picked RoW up from Barnes and Noble. Chapter 19 here we go get hyypppeee!!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I changed my mind. I don’t like Zane. He is doing exactly what I feared Reen would do in the first book and it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I changed my mind. I don’t like Zane. He is doing exactly what I feared Reen would do in the first book and it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Everything about Zane is bad and dumb, end of book spoilers Zane related He's not in the next book at least which is why it's way better.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Brandon... you’re hurting me. I was caught up on the weekly chapters released on tor, and picked up the book today and it’s been like 90% Shallan/Adolin for the first 200 pages I’ve read today.

Ugh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm only just starting ch 25 but she hasn't been bad so far :shrug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

It blows my mind that some people can read so fast. Like, even if I stayed up all night to read I'd barely dent the thing. It took me probably 40 minutes to read the prologue, and I've already read it once before so I wasn't even like "Wait what" at certain parts.

That's... interesting :thunk:

The whole list of names on the "Interludes" page were a set of names I was not expecting. I mean, I wasn't really expecting anything, but if you forced me to list a few characters... Yea, never would've guessed 2/3 of them :staredog:

I cheated and reread all the pre-release chapters on Sunday so that I could jump straight into the action. And you're right, the very first interludes blew my mind already. And I definitely noticed the thing you quote, but another part of that same interview had me go WTF:

RoW Interlude 1 posted:

Your abilities are what made the original Oathpact. And they existed—and were named—long before the Knights Radiant were founded. A Bondsmith Connected the Heralds to Braize, made them immortal, and locked our enemies away. A Bondsmith bound other Surges and brought humans to Roshar, fleeing their dying world. A Bondsmith created—or at least discovered—the Nahel bond: the ability of spren and humans to join together into something better. You Connect things, Dalinar. Realms. Ideas. People.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Rhythm of War

Dang that was good. Lol Rayse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoW release event is having massive issues with server crashes. Here's the direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhjxhl_eDQ

Comrade Brandon posted:

If you go travelling in time, there are only three possibilities: You kill your grandfather, or you become your grandfather, or you step on a butterfly and America turns communist.

These are the only three good outcomes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I am now done with Part 2 of Well of Ascension

My biggest problem with this book is it feels like everyone just became incredibly stupid between the end of the last book and the start of this one. Everyone was smacked a few times with a stupid stick and just makes bad decisions. Not to say they didn't make bad decisions in The Final Empire, but boooooooooooooy is this another level.

Also you have the character regression. Vin can't decide whether she belongs with Elend or this mysterious stranger Zane (lol @ him being Elend's brother).

The entire book feels like someone read The Final Empire and then wrote a "the after years" fan fiction. Zane is the loving biggest example of this. He's Mistborn. He's Elend's secret brother. He's too cool to wear a mistcloak and just wears all black. He hears voices because he's edgy.

Zane is the Kai Leng of Mistborn. When is he going to break into someone's house and eat their cereal? (Only the real ones will get this reference.)

My biggest complaint is that I'm 40% through this book and everyone is just waiting. And that's it. And it's the case where we as readers know there is something more there (with regard to The Deepness) and we're waiting for the characters to catch up. I assume that The Deepness will be the big threat for the final book (it is titled Hero of Ages, after all) so I would also assume that the characters won't actually piece together it is a threat until 80-90% of the way through this book since the siege is taking their attention.

Give me back the endless balls from the first book. It's hard to care about Straf or Set or Jastes because we know the Deepness (or something related to it) is a bigger threat.

Strat still owns though and I can't wait for his death. Wonder if he'll go out like Saruman with Zane as his Wormtongue.

But yeah, overall, this book reads like someone's fanfiction trying to emulate Sanderson without actually being as skilled as him. It's a good thing this was not the first book in the series.

I'm sure there are going to be a multitude of other stupid decisions these characters are going to make.

socialsecurity posted:

Everything about Zane is bad and dumb, end of book spoilers Zane related He's not in the next book at least which is why it's way better.

I read this spoiler because I assumed this would be the case and I'm happy to know it is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

One thing that makes the zane scenes slightly less bad is that he's using the emotional metals on vin whenever he gets a chance, the problem is it never gets pointed out in the narrative and just comes across as weird out-of-character moments

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

One thing that makes the zane scenes slightly less bad is that he's using the emotional metals on vin whenever he gets a chance, the problem is it never gets pointed out in the narrative and just comes across as weird out-of-character moments

I'd argue that makes things even worse!!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What'd you think about Duralumin though?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I'd argue that makes things even worse!!

that's fair

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

What'd you think about Duralumin though?

It hasn’t been used to any great effect yet.

I just can’t stop thinking of Zane as Kai Leng.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

It hasn’t been used to any great effect yet.

Wait for it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Wait for it.

My speculation for the rest of the book:

Vin does something stupid and abandons the group because she has brain worms in this book and listens to Zane. But she spends time with Zane her doing show softens him and she is to Zane what Kelsier was to Vin. In the end, Zane sacrifices his life to save VinElend from a deathblow from Straf and gives Vin a bunch of Atium. She uses duralumin on Atium and saves the day.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 18, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

he's doing an early reading to the sequel to Sixth of Dusk if anyone's curious what Era 3 will be like roughly 15 years from now

e: lmao this has unbelievably large spoilers

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 18, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sixth of dusk sequel is about the residents of Patji facing subjugation from two rival empires, a dang Skybreaker with a Shardgun representing Presumably Rosharans versus Presumably Scadrians in allomancy spaceships, and the main character setting out to go worldhopping through the shardpool to find allies against colonialism

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out posted:

sixth of dusk sequel is about the residents of Patji facing subjugation from two rival empires, a dang Skybreaker with a Shardgun representing Presumably Rosharans versus Presumably Scadrians in allomancy spaceships, and the main character setting out to go worldhopping through the shardpool to find allies against colonialism

I do love the soft confirmation that harmony ain't a good guy

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

tbh i don't see any confirmation of anything here, this is generations in the future, well after the end of Stormlight, and we can only guess what the state of the world/what shards exist/who has them then

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tunicate posted:

Rhythm of War makes me think that Harmony is intended to be the big good of the setting. And remember that Scadrians are not simply an extension of Harmony, to be commanded as he sees fit, like the Fused are for Odium. Some Scadrians being evil does not mean that Harmony is evil.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

I am now done with Part 2 of Well of Ascension

My biggest problem with this book is it feels like everyone just became incredibly stupid between the end of the last book and the start of this one. Everyone was smacked a few times with a stupid stick and just makes bad decisions. Not to say they didn't make bad decisions in The Final Empire, but boooooooooooooy is this another level.

Also you have the character regression. Vin can't decide whether she belongs with Elend or this mysterious stranger Zane (lol @ him being Elend's brother).

The entire book feels like someone read The Final Empire and then wrote a "the after years" fan fiction. Zane is the loving biggest example of this. He's Mistborn. He's Elend's secret brother. He's too cool to wear a mistcloak and just wears all black. He hears voices because he's edgy.

Zane is the Kai Leng of Mistborn. When is he going to break into someone's house and eat their cereal? (Only the real ones will get this reference.)

My biggest complaint is that I'm 40% through this book and everyone is just waiting. And that's it. And it's the case where we as readers know there is something more there (with regard to The Deepness) and we're waiting for the characters to catch up. I assume that The Deepness will be the big threat for the final book (it is titled Hero of Ages, after all) so I would also assume that the characters won't actually piece together it is a threat until 80-90% of the way through this book since the siege is taking their attention.

Give me back the endless balls from the first book. It's hard to care about Straf or Set or Jastes because we know the Deepness (or something related to it) is a bigger threat.

Strat still owns though and I can't wait for his death. Wonder if he'll go out like Saruman with Zane as his Wormtongue.

But yeah, overall, this book reads like someone's fanfiction trying to emulate Sanderson without actually being as skilled as him. It's a good thing this was not the first book in the series.

I'm sure there are going to be a multitude of other stupid decisions these characters are going to make.

I read this spoiler because I assumed this would be the case and I'm happy to know it is.

gently caress, double post, but this deserves a separate post. What you write is a fair criticism, and the point about waiting is spot on. Well of Ascension has the problem of laying the groundwork for Hero of Ages, coming after a book that can be seen as mostly self contained. It's the typical "first book in a trilogy is really strong and ends on a satisfactory note, because the author wasn't sure he would be able to write the other books in the trilogy, second book suffers a lot as a consequence" problem. Brandon mostly avoids this particular pitfall for his other series, because he was a big name in fantasy circles and no longer had to worry whether sequels to any of his books would be picked up by his publisher.

That said, you're wrong about some things you're writing, so at least there will be some plot twists to enjoy for you :) Some of the things you think are dumb will turn out to be pretty cool (and important).

The ME comparison made me chuckle

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brandon put a cool photo in his newsletter, this is when he started RoW two years ago in Hawaii

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Just finished my initial sprint through RoW. Holy poo poo guys. Holy poo poo. So much happens, so many Cosmere revelations; and I’m one of the ones who’s terrible with remembering how everything ties together without reminders. Such a good read.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
2/3 of the way through Rhythm of War and the middle part is an absolute slog. Especially in part 3 I feel like half the content could have edited out and lost almost nothing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm about 25% of the way through RoW if kindle isn't lying to me, and I need to write this down somewhere because I'm pretty sure I've solved one of the mysteries and I want proof if I was right.

Shallan's the traitor in her team, isn't she? Another personality, probably Formless, acting while she's blanked out mentally.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Subvisual Haze posted:

2/3 of the way through Rhythm of War and the middle part is an absolute slog. Especially in part 3 I feel like half the content could have edited out and lost almost nothing.
Part 2 was certainly a slog for me. 200 pages of Shallan/veil/radiant talking to themselves about how Shallan needs to confront her past and Adolin wishing he could help her/them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I'm about 25% of the way through RoW if kindle isn't lying to me, and I need to write this down somewhere because I'm pretty sure I've solved one of the mysteries and I want proof if I was right.

Shallan's the traitor in her team, isn't she? Another personality, probably Formless, acting while she's blanked out mentally.

That's my belief as well. I'm at about the same part as you are.

So now that someone else thinks what I think, I no longer think it's correct :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

th3t00t posted:

Part 2 was certainly a slog for me. 200 pages of Shallan/veil/radiant talking to themselves about how Shallan needs to confront her past and Adolin wishing he could help her/them.
I just started part 2, but at least early in part 1, Adolin calling out Roshar's real need for mental health professionals was great, so maybe I'll like this part more than you.

Sanderson's clearly been getting his ears filled by the entire mental health community since Oathbreaker came out, I always love it when his need to be an ally bleeds through the page. He tries so hard and it's endearing. (Dawnshard was just heaving with the stuff he's clearly learned from the disabled community.)

Sab669 posted:

That's my belief as well. I'm at about the same part as you are.

So now that someone else thinks what I think, I no longer think it's correct :v:
Well maybe we're both very smart! :v:

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Going back over my thoughts; I feel the story does drag in certain places. I feel like he focuses too much in certain areas and not enough in others.

But I still loved it overall and it has a great ending.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Just finished RoW

Definitely deliberately hard going in the middle with people struggling with their respective trauma.
A lot of great twists and turns and some uplifting moments in there. Genuinely hope Dabbid issues are indeed repairable brain damage as the Sibling told him, its mean otherwise.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

th3t00t posted:

Yeah, I thought that part was a bit weak, too. Reviewers called that out before RoW's release. This really is Stormlight's Well of Ascension. only that the last part of RoW is so much more mind blowing than the last part of WoA.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Elend needs to learn to shut gently caress up and stop telling on himself. I feel like this book is all about making the reader annoyed as gently caress with Elend.

Elend has big “lawful good” energy and it loving sucks!

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 18, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Where does all the crem go?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just finished RoW. Couple of random thoughts:

Pretty obvious that Thaidakar is Kelsier at this point. Not sure what he’s trying to accomplish though.
I think Kaladin might be being groomed to become Harmony - he mentioned in the one epigraph that he was looking for someone who could kill and protect.
Taravangian taking up Odium is going to be a bad thing overall, even worse than Rayse, given that last chapter with Hoid, but I’m not sure anymore that he’s going to be the final villain.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MildShow posted:

Just finished RoW. Couple of random thoughts:

Pretty obvious that Thaidakar is Kelsier at this point. Not sure what he’s trying to accomplish though.
I think Kaladin might be being groomed to become Harmony - he mentioned in the one epigraph that he was looking for someone who could kill and protect.
Taravangian taking up Odium is going to be a bad thing overall, even worse than Rayse, given that last chapter with Hoid, but I’m not sure anymore that he’s going to be the final villain.

I feel pretty strongly, giving the timing of this (a few years, give or take, before Wax/Wayne books), he's referring to Wax.

Especially given that he's taken a strong personal involvement in Wax's life and that Hoid, after ROW/Stormlight 5, goes and starts following Wax around/working for him/pushing him in the right directions

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
ROW theory Ishar's madness is causing or magnifying all of the herald's madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Finished. Did I miss something or did Vasher not show up again at all after his fight with Kaladin? I thought he’d at least have a cameo. Also I can’t accept his description of Returned just being fake copies of the original person because it is disrespectful to my boy Lightsong.

I’d also love it if Taln became Dalinar’s champion since it comes up that he was the best fighter of the Heralds without contest.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 19, 2020