Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

DARK TROOPERS!

Actual. Dark. Troopers!

A Dark Forces reference in my 2020 Star Wars show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

This episode was obviously less visually impressive than a lot of the previous ones (lol that the ignition point of the Jedi order looks like regular rear end Central Valley California), but I loved everything in it. I love that Ming-Na Wen came back. I really want to see where this goes, and it’s a wild feeling to be excited for Star Wars again.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Also, there’s a dude loudly complaining that this show sucks on twitter because it lacks pathos, but I feel the last few episodes have had plenty?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most twitter people are dumb as poo poo.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I really enjoyed this one.

I think my main critique is how weak the excuse was for Mando not to have his jetpack on him (and did he pick it up again?!)

Seeing proto-First Order landers was cool too

radlum
May 13, 2013
Yeah I spent the last half of the show wondering why he didn't pick up his jetpack; I hope he didn't leave it on the planet. (I'm guessing flying would make him an easier target?)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Another question I have is: did Boba have his armour while rescuing Fennec and then lose it before the start of this season?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

CelticPredator posted:

There will be some angry rear end nerds tomorrow because they paid money for that expensive toy.

Nope. I'm pissed because now I'll need more shelf space for the next expensive toy when he gets a Space Geo Metro.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He had plenty of time to pick it up again at the end.

Plus it's too memorable, I don't think it'll be like his rifle which disappeared for half a season without reason.

Captain Splendid posted:

Another question I have is: did Boba have his armour while rescuing Fennec and then lose it before the start of this season?

If the books are accurate Cobb had the armour for ~5 years.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 4, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Honestly, I don’t get why he didn’t pick the jetpack back up, first thing.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

This episode was obviously less visually impressive than a lot of the previous ones

I keep seeing people say this, but that's a big part of why I loved it. Seeing guys in plastic armor tromping around a real desert sent me right back to being a kid seeing ANH the first time. This episode just felt so original trilogy stylistically. I've never been a Boba Fett fanboy but getting to see him earn his reputation was magical, and watching those chunks of armor flying felt more visceral than any splatterific war movie I can think of. Hell I got a lump in my throat just seeing the Slave 1 flying in. I loving love this show so much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hahahahah jfc Fennec is alive. That was beyond stupid. I'm waiting for Kuill and IG-11 to come back now. Or maybe Boba Fett will repair the krayt dragon too.

Mando sure seemed fine tanking all those shots. I hoped he remember to pick up his jetpack before leaving.

So why didn't Boba Fett just take the armor from Cobb Vanth? Why didn't the imperial cruiser shoot at the Slave One?

I guess Bill Burr comes back next week. Not sure why he would be helpful in finding Grogu though.

Gonz posted:

Dude is absolutely untrustworthy, but he’s also an ex-Imperial sharpshooter and Mando realizes that he’s gonna need every dirtbag in the galaxy to go ruin the Imperial Remnant’s poo poo due to knowledge of how the Empire operates. And it’s just another excuse for Billy to remind everyone that there’s a Space Boston and a Space Boston accent. “Wicked pissah” and such.

But he has an imperial sharpshooter already...

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
drat, that was great. I slammed the Bounty Hunter EU books as a kid and I always wanted to see the Boba they described in action. I feel vindicated in that sense.

Good stuff. Keep pulling it off.

I did laugh that Tython was basically Planet Vasquez Rocks since Star Trek literally just did a tongue in cheek joke about that last year.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah has been awhile since i saw an episode with earthplants i could recognize, weird familiar feeling in contrast to many of the previous settings.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Grogu gonna Force Lightning somebody’s rear end before this season is done and it’s gonna be amazing...
:allears:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

I keep seeing people say this, but that's a big part of why I loved it. Seeing guys in plastic armor tromping around a real desert sent me right back to being a kid seeing ANH the first time. This episode just felt so original trilogy stylistically. I've never been a Boba Fett fanboy but getting to see him earn his reputation was magical, and watching those chunks of armor flying felt more visceral than any splatterific war movie I can think of. Hell I got a lump in my throat just seeing the Slave 1 flying in. I loving love this show so much.

I don’t know, the amount of gratuitous sparks from the pyrotechnics felt very “Power Rangers” for me. Don’t get me wrong, I loved every minute of the episode, but I completely understand the people who thought it felt “cheap”.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He had plenty of time to pick it up again at the end.

Plus it's too memorable, I don't think it'll be like his rifle which disappeared for half a season without reason.

If the books are accurate Cobb had the armour for ~5 years.

Even from just the show we know he got it shortly after Endor.

That was great, gave us a lot whilst promising more:

More unbelievably sweet moments with Grogu on the ship and Din just completely letting his guard down.

There may be conversations with Fett now about what he's been doing and why he didn't try to get the armor from Cobb. Maybe, in his apparently more mellow mindset, he saw it being put to use and decided to leave it, but sought it from Din when it was sat unused in the Crest (RIP). Also sounds like Jango was a genuine Mandalorian again, so unclear why Clone Wars said he wasn't. Maybe it's just because he was on the wrong side of the civil war?

Disappointing to have the Dark Troopers just drop in and leave again without fighting. But it was cool to make Fett look as dangerous as his supposed to be, even before he got the armor back, I think this is the first time a gaffi stick has been shown put to any use besides removing bantha plaque, and it was neat showing it actually smash trooper armor. And the launcher on the kneepad I think is new? It's great that as good as Din is made to look, a well executed tear like that can make someone else look incredible.

Lol that Din could find the gearstick head in the wreckage. A beskar spear probably shows on one of his visors scanners but that's nutty, especially since Grogu could have taken it again and dropped it when taken.

Another nice detail was Shand seemed to hit the joints in the trooper armor, which makes her look more skilled and the armor look less of a joke.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I was 100% sure this episode was gonna be a side-quest to the main plot but was pleasantly surprised they went right to Typhon.

Boba Fett finally living up to his promise of being cool after all these years is dope as hell, and him wrecking troopers with a Gaffi stick is just the coolest poo poo

and looking a little rounder around the middle while doing it, wanted to know where he got the armor extensions

Good action this ep. I would trade these two for Carl Weathers and Gino Carano any day.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mando's going to get himself a Beskar Razor Crest.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Even from just the show we know he got it shortly after Endor.

And the launcher on the kneepad I think is new?.

in the EU I'm pretty sure every piece of Boba's armor was some insane weapon haha

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

GoutPatrol posted:

and looking a little rounder around the middle while doing it

This is the Weight

Brad Pitt
Nov 7, 2009

:smugdog::smugdog::smugdog::regd09:

CelticPredator posted:

There will be some angry rear end nerds tomorrow because they paid money for that expensive toy.

I ordered the Crest. My heart dropped. Still a great ship and toy!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I definitely laughed out loud at Boba’s “I’m just a simple man making his way in the galaxy” call-back.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ming-Na Wen gave me strong PUBG nostalgia.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Me, in the establishing shot at the end: "Awww, poo poo yeah, he's going back to pick up Ahsoka and now Din, Snips, Fett, and Ming-Na Wen are gonna go kick rear end for the last two episodes!"

Me, less than a minute later: "Ahh, dammit, its Gina and Burr."

Seriously, from orbit that planet looked a lot like Corvus.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

Even with the trap beats that are always playing when Moff Gideon is around, he doesn’t stand a chance now that Boba and his whip are on board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k

Fresh

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the Auralnauts version of Mando stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I get the impression that Mandalorian society is kinda shattered at this point, to the point where various surviving sects might not have much common language outside things like registered codes, but Din does have a minimum he'll accept to be a True Mandalorian outside the cult-like sect he knows.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

GoutPatrol posted:

and looking a little rounder around the middle while doing it, wanted to know where he got the armor extensions

Boba Fatt

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One step closer to seeing seismic charges again :getin:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Did anyone say Boba Fat yet?

edit: gently caress

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Noise Complaint posted:

in the EU I'm pretty sure every piece of Boba's armor was some insane weapon haha

that's pretty much how he was so badass and widely feared, he was trained real well and literally covered in guns head to toe

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody get on deviantart and search Boba Fatt, I’m too scared.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol I couldn’t resist.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody get on deviantart and search Boba Fatt, I’m too scared.

In a case of funny timing, this got posted in another thread a few days ago:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok that was a killer episode - it did look fairly cheap being shot in just some hills but aside from that the action was good. It was crazy seeing why Boba Fett was actually feared as a bounty hunter and why Vader trusted him. He was like a walking turret. The knee missiles were :kiss:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If we got knee missiles as official canon, it’s only a matter of time till we get knee lightsabers...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

If we got knee missiles as official canon, it’s only a matter of time till we get knee lightsabers...

Mando's next upgrade will be the knee flamethrower

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Has anyone said Boba Fatt yet?

e. Dammit

If you told me even two years ago that there would be a live action Star Wars show with actual Dark Troopers, references to Thrawn, and a live-action Darksaber, I would have called you a drat dirty liar.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 4, 2020

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Cartoon Man posted:

Considering the director, I'm calling this a serious missed opportunity,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

nine-gear crow posted:

Ganking Snoke as the capstone to act two of The Last Jedi was loving brilliant because it gave Kylo Ren the springboard to assume his destined place as the real big bad of the Sequel Trilogy, which he would have rocked as. But then Reddit got mad so between 8 and 9 he slammed face first into a giant glass ceiling that had PALPATINE WUZ HEAR spray painted on it like he was Wile E. Coyote or something and fell so hard back to the start of his character arc he actually loving whistled on the way down.

That was never Ben's "destined place". From the moment we found out Kylo Ren was actually Ben Solo, the story was "how does this lost soul come home and find peace?" and then Abrams/Terrio couldn't see beyond the shadow of Darth Vader and just decided that the only way to find peace is to literally just drop dead. Oops. Ben's entire thing throughout TFA and TLJ is how much he hates being "evil". How he keeps trying to Do The One Thing That Makes Him The Best Dark Sider over and over and over and it never makes him feel any better.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want that Rian trilogy to happen so bad but the internet has almost certainly tanked the chances of it ever happening.

That's already an announced project that's happening - they confirmed that before TLJ even came out.

Halloween Jack posted:

People love framing the story of TLJ like it's a YA romance.

Given that around a third of the whole movie is explicitly about Ben and Rey's developing romance, and their relationship is the central relationship of the entire trilogy....

Maybe let's not actually bodyshame people?