Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

In the last week I’ve heard two rumors—one about NVidia and one about AMD—that there are skunkworks projects being pulled out of the shadows and onto the main stage to eventually/quickly compete with M-series.

Supposedly NVidia’s got a SoC that can play games competitively with a mid-to-high end PC, originally aimed at the console market, Shield/Tegra/possible Switch successor/competing with the SoCs on PS5 and XSX, but the line will now be retooled to function as PC hardware. Apparently the prototype can already run Windows.

AMD had some relatively credible rumormongers talking this week about a hybrid ARM/x86 design they’d been tinkering with for several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Shy posted:

Do any other companies make ARMs they wouldn't be ashamed to put in a laptop? Do any companies make any other architecture that could theoretically be in a PC?

there's a bunch of impressive work going on for server ARM platforms (AWS, Ampere, Xilinx, TI, Fuji, others) but they make tradeoffs that probably aren't great for desktop systems. nvidia is surely gonna do something if their ARM purchase gets past regulators. the newest snapdragon platform is probably competitive at the low end in pcs, but qualcom has weird incentives that make it unlikely they'd get deep into desktop pcs

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's just a matter of seeking rent. Apple won't get into gaming unless it gets a healthy cut of the profit. To do that right now, they would have to throw a ton of cash around, which doesn't seem like their style. I think they're gonna keep using Apple Arcade to build a bench of indie devs who are locked into their ecosystem and go from there. I don't think they're gonna get into AAA for years, if at all.

Yeah, Apple has no problem quietly dropping a billion dollars to buy a display API company or a weather predicting AI company or a computational photo editing app developer, but the idea of Apple behaving like a console company and simply paying devs to port AAA games to their platform seems so pie-in-the-sky, I’m looking up the caloric value of meteorites.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

there's a bunch of impressive work going on for server ARM platforms (AWS, Ampere, Xilinx, TI, Fuji, others) but they make tradeoffs that probably aren't great for desktop systems. nvidia is surely gonna do something if their ARM purchase gets past regulators. the newest snapdragon platform is probably competitive at the low end in pcs, but qualcom has weird incentives that make it unlikely they'd get deep into desktop pcs

The only way Qualcomm gets competitive in this regard is if other companies with a clear stake in this (Microsoft, Google, Dell, etc) form a consortium and pay for the privilege of having commodity-class PC ARM chips.

Otherwise there’s no profit motive there under the current arrangements for Qualcomm to go it alone on the development. They’d have to know from the get-go that there would be a BIG order waiting for them at the end.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Ok Comboomer posted:

The only way Qualcomm gets competitive in this regard is if other companies with a clear stake in this (Microsoft, Google, Dell, etc) form a consortium and pay for the privilege of having commodity-class PC ARM chips.

Otherwise there’s no profit motive there under the current arrangements for Qualcomm to go it alone on the development. They’d have to know from the get-go that there would be a BIG order waiting for them at the end.

qualcomm only really sell their soc because it gets their radios into devices. that doesn't really apply in the desktop market

if a desktop quality arm processor takes over the pc industry it'll come from ARM, AMD or nvidia

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So my dad's MBA arrived and I replaced his M1 Mini with it. Only problem I've run into so far is that his mouse can't seem to wake it from sleep over USB. I have to use an ANKER USB-C hub; it's a Logitech mouse that can use either the Unifying Receiver or Bluetooth. I've found the USB Unifying Receiver to be more reliable, but I have to connect it over Bluetooth to make it able to wake up with the lid closed and connect to his monitor + keyboard. Is there any way around this?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, Apple has no problem quietly dropping a billion dollars to buy a display API company or a weather predicting AI company or a computational photo editing app developer, but the idea of Apple behaving like a console company and simply paying devs to port AAA games to their platform seems so pie-in-the-sky, I’m looking up the caloric value of meteorites.

Isn't that what basically apple arcade is? The way the indie game devs talked about it, seemed like basically a gaming VC fund with mobile or timed exclusivity. The only question is if the fund wants to get big enough to write AAA-sized checks.

I think the problem with that will be mainly you're convincing the EA and Activisions of the world to do something for you that they may not want to, and writing a big subsidy check to your peers is probably not very appetizing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qualcomm only really sell their soc because it gets their radios into devices. that doesn't really apply in the desktop market

if a desktop quality arm processor takes over the pc industry it'll come from ARM, AMD or nvidia

I wouldn’t count Intel out, they have all the cash and size in the world and an industry full of well-established relationships to both leverage and protect.

In ten years we’ll be talking about how obvious it was that Intel was going to buy and hire their way to ARM competitiveness and the Mac will be in the same niche it was in in 2009 with a numerically larger user base.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrBond posted:

Isn't that what basically apple arcade is? The way the indie game devs talked about it, seemed like basically a gaming VC fund with mobile or timed exclusivity. The only question is if the fund wants to get big enough to write AAA-sized checks.

I think the problem with that will be mainly you're convincing the EA and Activisions of the world to do something for you that they may not want to, and writing a big subsidy check to your peers is probably not very appetizing.

The closest thing to AAA on Apple Arcade is sonic racing. Apple is still run by a bunch of weird, boomer, billionaire Coldplay dads (made all the worse because some of them actually know members of Coldplay) who wanna get up on stage and tell us that The Floor Is Lava is a AAA experience and their vision of what Apple can bring to gaming.

When Apple thinks about “deep” or “artistic” creativity in games design to promote they think about Monument Valley, which is alright although hella old at this point, even though popular poo poo like Stardew Valley or Dead Cells, poo poo that already has credibility and a fanbase, exists on the platform.

Or when Apple dragged an iMac and an EA developer up on stage wearing a Vive that one time to show us some vague “developer” related Darth Vader poo poo that went nowhere and meant nothing, but that must’ve easily cost Apple like $20 million.

Shameful company that refuses to do the basics.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Now all we need is for AAA game devs to actually take macOS seriously as a platform and port things.

Hahahahaha

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I wouldn’t count Intel out, they have all the cash and size in the world and an industry full of well-established relationships to both leverage and protect.

In ten years we’ll be talking about how obvious it was that Intel was going to buy and hire their way to ARM competitiveness and the Mac will be in the same niche it was in in 2009 with a numerically larger user base.

i think it's early to count out x86 and intel personally. a lot of what apple has done is only really possible because they were able to commit to a specialized chip that they knew they were going to fab in the millions of units. if intel could produce a single chip in that quantity for a market as narrow as pc laptops they could specialize it to a significant degree. what is holding intel back is that they are producing a platform that has to serve everyone from high performance workstations to budget laptops to massively parallel server applications. a lot of those applications are not economically feasible to fill with a specialized soc. who other than intel has the ability to offer a platform that can be tweaked to each of those applications? no one is even close right now. even if intel were to back away from their own ISA to producing that same platform for ARM they'd still have trouble competing against apple for all the same reasons

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Now all we need is for AAA game devs to actually take macOS seriously as a platform and port things.

when it comes to control apple are basically nintendo but ramped up to 11. they'll never get game devs onboard without a huge cultural change at the top of apple

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple’s unwillingness to buy access to lots of good, known, existing content, or when they do buy content to buy weird poo poo that the VPs feel personally good about like the Peanuts rights, is what’s screwing them with Apple TV+ right now.

They’re throwing tons of money at top-tier celebrities and talent to make them their own shows and films, and nobody gives a poo poo. It all feels weirdly knockoff, astroturfed credibility, similar to the problem Quibi, etc had. All of it looks bland as gently caress, completely safe because even if Apple is willing to make legitimately daring and edgy content they’re unwilling to advertise it.

Not a single person cares about ATV+ nor will they in 2021 now that HBO plus or whatever (which is also apparently struggling despite having literally the opposite problem) is taking their nuclear option and going all-in on premiering new movies.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 7, 2020

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ted Lasso is genuinely good, and one of the best things I watched this year. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Great, there’s a ton of good Sudeikis content out there he’s been making it for a decade+

Ted Lasso isn’t enough to sell ATV+

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

They’re throwing tons of money at top-tier celebrities and talent to make them their own shows and films, and nobody gives a poo poo. It all feels weirdly knockoff, astroturfed credibility, similar to the problem Quibi, etc had. All of it looks bland as gently caress, completely safe because even if Apple is willing to make legitimately daring and edgy content they’re unwilling to advertise it.

It all looks like fake shows you’d see in real stuff.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It all looks like fake shows you’d see in real stuff.

This hits the nail on the head so precisely on what is wrong with AppleTV shows.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Kingnothing posted:

It’s $200 which includes a new battery and keyboard/top housing.

Frankly, for such low use, I’d ignore the battery and use in plugged in. Generally any performance hit won’t be enough to gently caress how that workflow you’re using.

Thanks, I was confirming that the $200 was for the battery and not the resale/trade-in value. I'll have to think about it further.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it'll probably be bad but i'm looking forward to foundation, and for all mankind i thought was great. the scenes on the moon landscape alone are worth watching the show for imo. i also liked dickinson, tehran isn't bad though i've only watched a couple of episodes. and i expect wolfwalkers to be outstanding, given it's from the same people who did the book of kells and song of the sea, which are gorgeous. i dunno if i care about anything else on the service (i haven't seen ted lasso yet but i'm sure i will at some point).

that said is it enough to make me pay for the service? no, not yet, it's too easy to run out of content. but if they can justify putting out more content they'll eventually have an interesting enough back catalogue to make it worthwhile enough for many to at least add it to their bundles.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Not a single person cares about ATV+ nor will they in 2021 now

Actually I want to see what they do with Asimov's Foundation series, but yeah, I'm just going to wait until it's all out, binge it, then cancel. Apple TV+ is the old PS3 joke about how it has no games, except that Apple actually has almost no content, and even less worth watching.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Aren't they doing an adaption of The Stand? I also kind of was entertained by Morning Show, it was pretty well acted.

And yeah, For All Mankind was good. I also enjoyed Lasso and Long Way Up.

It's kind of decent and it feels like lately it's had way fresher content then Netflix.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
CBS all access is doing the stand remake. It starts the 17th I think.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ok Comboomer posted:

Or when Apple dragged an iMac and an EA developer up on stage wearing a Vive that one time to show us some vague “developer” related Darth Vader poo poo that went nowhere and meant nothing, but that must’ve easily cost Apple like $20 million.

It's cute that you think apple pays for those.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sorry late to the party but if the M1 is as good as they say it is why now? I recall reading PPC was faster than x86 at launch but fell behind because x86 process nodes got better faster. That seems like a cyclical leap frogging of architectures tied to processes with more to do with the process than the arch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Sorry late to the party but if the M1 is as good as they say it is why now? I recall reading PPC was faster than x86 at launch but fell behind because x86 process nodes got better faster. That seems like a cyclical leap frogging of architectures tied to processes with more to do with the process than the arch.

It is as good. Might be better too.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Also Apple actually has the resources now to devote to Apple Silicon that they (and Motorola/IBM) didn't back in the PPC days to keep up with Intel.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has there been any analysis into how well AS arch might scale thermally and with threads?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Also, IBM had literally no interest in developing the PPC in terms of the computer market, making upgrades to it constantly and evolving it..

They actually made more money offering pared-down versions of the PPC to be used in Xbox / PS3 machines..

IBM hit a wall at 3 GHz, Apple tried to compensate by offering the first liquid-cooled PowerMac G5s which could barely crack 2.7 GHz, and that worked out super well (it didn't)

Jobs screamed at IBM when they failed to deliver 3 GHz parts, then IBM had the nerve to tell Jobs 'psst, if you slip us a few tens of millions, maybe we could speed things up' to which he allegedly exploded and went back to Intel and the rest is history..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 7, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And well, you know

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So....RISC was always good it just never had a good champion until now?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

So....RISC was always good it just never had a good champion until now?

Being RISC probably doesn’t have anything to do with it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah modern x86 chips are pretty RISC-like these days, AFAIK.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It always seemed incredibly weird to me that Apple was trying to make their own shows; it’s just so wildly, completely outside of their core competencies as to be totally bizarre. Like, Apple has been heavily involved with music since the iPod but they don’t have a record label or a band.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TACD posted:

It always seemed incredibly weird to me that Apple was trying to make their own shows; it’s just so wildly, completely outside of their core competencies as to be totally bizarre. Like, Apple has been heavily involved with music since the iPod but they don’t have a record label or a band.

especially with the proliferation of streaming services these days. why on earth would you want to jump into that mess :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TACD posted:

Though of course there might be uhhh legal reasons for that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I maintain that if jobs were still around we probably would have seen some sort of partnership with Disney instead of them being content creators.

Wanting Apple to create content seems like a uniquely Tim Cook thing.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i think it's early to count out x86 and intel personally. a lot of what apple has done is only really possible because they were able to commit to a specialized chip that they knew they were going to fab in the millions of units. if intel could produce a single chip in that quantity for a market as narrow as pc laptops they could specialize it to a significant degree.

Apple paid Intel to fab millions of chips for years and the best they did was a slightly more robust integrated GPU.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple learned from Google/YouTube and Facebook not to ever let themselves end up at the mercy of another company for a core marquee feature, and Netflix/Prime is the closest situation to that for them in the video content consumption/rental space, which has historically been a massive revenue driver for Apple.

Netflix and Amazon, etc have already entrenched themselves firmly in Apple’s video blackberry patch, taking content views that otherwise could’ve gone through iTunes. And they’re core enough services for enough customers that if either of them decided to throw their weight around for whatever reason, Apple would be in for a major headache and possible user shrinkage.

So there’s enough incentive there for Apple to seek some degree of independence from big streamers and leverage when negotiating with them. There’s also incentive for Apple to draw customers to their ecosystem, just as iTunes and iPod did in the past, and Apple Music is doing now. But they also waited way too long.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone that just bought an Intel mac happy about that decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
more like incel mac