Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that not how to interpret the bat-fell of Thuringwethil?

"skin" maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, it’s hide or skin and not costume or clothing specifically. Frodo’s orc pants are also made of unclean beast fells or something

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Would the elf forms of the valar be considered fells too, then? They're described as clothing sometimes.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Not really, the point of the metaphor of clothing is that a physical body isn't integral or necessary to the Ainur in the way it is to the incarnated Children of Illuvatar, and they have a choice of what form to take with none being 'truer' than any other. None of that's really true for any creature's skin.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mahoning posted:

I always thought a great companion while you read Tolkien (especially first timers) would be a visual guide of landscape features. It’s probably why so many people struggle with his in-depth landscape descriptions. If you don’t know what a dell is, or downs, or a gully or whatever, it is hard to picture.

Yes, yes, 1000% yes. I'm having the same problem with KS Robinson's Mars series atm, with all its scarps, arroyos, karsts, pingos, moraines and fellfields.

skasion posted:

“Fell meats” = steak with ketchup

This explains a lot.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HopperUK posted:

This list looks kinda funny to me, I'm guessing because I'm from the UK. 'abide'? 'aghast'? 'amiss'? 'assuage'? Are those words weird in the US?
They're not like totally alien and unknown words but except for abide they aren't really day to day use, and abide is known primarily as what the Dude does, I would say.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

So weird skins from the hills would be fell fell-fells.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

skasion posted:

Yeah, it’s hide or skin and not costume or clothing specifically. Frodo’s orc pants are also made of unclean beast fells or something

German "Fell" = english fur

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

sweet geek swag posted:

So weird skins from the hills would be fell fell-fells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=072Nu54avdU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes, yes, 1000% yes. I'm having the same problem with KS Robinson's Mars series atm, with all its scarps, arroyos, karsts, pingos, moraines and fellfields.

I read this series on a kindle and must have used the dictionary function for "karsts" at least a dozen times.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

He was fell, and a little bit fey.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Stephen R. Donaldson was the first author I got into after getting hooked on Tolkien (which is, uh, maybe not the best place for a middle school kid to branch out to) so my conception of “normal” language never stood a chance. Everything is “fell” this and “verily” that for me.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I could write a book meticulously ranking the unreliability of various fairies. It will be called Shifty Grades of Fey.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

question: where does falafel fit into all this?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

question: where does falafel fit into all this?

Who is the Middle-Earth equivalent of Bill O'reilly?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tree Bucket posted:

I love how economical Tolkien's prose can be, even if he's famous for the opposite.
(I don't know what the proper grammatical term is, but the "-t" words have a very nice heft to them. Wrought, dwelt, sought, smote.)

Fëanor and his sons were in the van

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Get in losers, we're going kinslaying

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also I’m still catching up on the thread but I strongly recommend reading the Hobbit aloud. I did it, not for kids but to for an ex, a few years ago and it works so well. The chapters are perfect in length and scope, the prose flows perfectly, and the primary characters’ dialogue lends itself to inventing funny voices for them.

We’d get tipsy or high and I’d rear a chapter around once per week and it was just perfect. If I ever have children I’ll certainly do it again.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I’m still catching up on the thread but I strongly recommend reading the Hobbit aloud. I did it, not for kids but to for an ex, a few years ago and it works so well. The chapters are perfect in length and scope, the prose flows perfectly, and the primary characters’ dialogue lends itself to inventing funny voices for them.

We’d get tipsy or high and I’d rear a chapter around once per week and it was just perfect. If I ever have children I’ll certainly do it again.

Yeah, my first 'reading' of The Hobbit was hearing my dad it read aloud to me when I was nine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, that's one of the stronger defenses of Tolkien's prose style. A lot of people criticize Tolkien's prose for being prolix or "unprofessional," but he's not actually trying to be a modern professional Strunk-and-White writer; he's trying to be an updated version of a Saxon (or Anglic) scop. And in that he succeeds, to an amazing degree.

Mark Twain talks in his autobiography about how the process of reading his stories on the lecture circuit dramatically changed everything about his writing; just having to read it all aloud meant he re-wrote everything to sound better when read aloud and that made it all much better writing. Tolkien at his best has that same easy oral quality. It isn't "professional" sounding to a modern ear but it has its own virtue all its own.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like Rohan, but Book III does mark a pretty noticeable shift in tone. Some of it is just leaving the hobbit perspective, but also Professor T letting his Anglo-Saxon freak flag fly (and combing them with steppe riders). Just these gangs of dudes that want nothing more than to ride into battle and die a glorious death. You could almost excerpt Book III as as standalone story about a group of warriors who help a kingdom defend itself from an evil wizard. Come to think of it, that's not too far off from what Jackson did in the second movie.

Tolkien posted:

This linguistic procedure does not imply that the Rohirrim closely resembled the ancient English otherwise, in culture or art, in weapons or modes of warfare, except in a general way due to their circumstances: a simpler and more primitive people living in contact with a higher and more venerable culture, and occupying lands that had once been part of its domain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Rohirrim and book 3 as a whole are Tolkien one-upping the 19th century romantic barbarian novel. like William Morris type stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like that Tolkien writes characters as actually being smart like Theoden and Denethor. It makes the rampant psychopathy and idiocy of the Sons of Feanor more entertaining when juxtaposed against the Kings of Men.

Also I recently found out that the chorus chanting when Theoden recites the Lament of the Rohirrim in the Two Towers are reciting the rest of the poem in Old English and I think that's really cool.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 16, 2020

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like that Tolkien writes characters as actually being smart like Theoden and Denethor. It makes the rampant psychopathy and idiocy of the Sons of Feanor more entertaining when juxtaposed against the Kings of Men.

Also I recently found out that the chorus chanting when Theoden recites the Lament of the Rohirrim in the Two Towers are reciting the rest of the poem in Old English and I think that's really cool.

Tolkien seems to have a special fondness for the rough but shrewd type of character. Characters like Theoden and Farmer Maggot don't have elven blood or special bloodlines (apart from Theoden being a king anyhow), but they're nevertheless wise and intelligent characters that are courageous.

Denethor is a bit different. Tolkien writes about how the blood of Westernesse (Numenor) runs nearly true in him, and that because of that he's especially wise and intelligent. Of course it may be that much of that wisdom is due to the insights the Palantir grants as well.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"You don’t know much... if you think old Barliman is stupid. He is wise enough on his own ground. He thinks less than he talks, and slower; yet he can see through a brick wall in time."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Heck, Sam is the same way - a lot more going on there than people give him credit for because he's a servant-class Hobbit instead of a nob (until the epilogue, anyway).

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It's almost like not underestimating people because of their origins is a theme. And it seems clear that all the people who are actually wise make sure to not do this. Even Denethor realizes that Pippin can be of more service than most of his people suspect. Theoden is a little dismissive of Merry, but his concerns are actually legitimate, as Merry isn't really trained for mounted combat. I mean if Theoden knew Merry had a magic wraith killing sword, he might have reconsidered.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Imagined posted:

"You don’t know much... if you think old Barliman is stupid. He is wise enough on his own ground. He thinks less than he talks, and slower; yet he can see through a brick wall in time."

And yet Aragorn still talks down to him a bit. I mean nine murderous phantoms from Satan's secretary were on the move and it was pretty serious but Strider was still a bit of a dick.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Arcsquad12 posted:

And yet Aragorn still talks down to him a bit. I mean nine murderous phantoms from Satan's secretary were on the move and it was pretty serious but Strider was still a bit of a dick.

Yeah, but Butterbur had absolutely hosed up. The ringwraiths wouldn't have had anything to find if Butterbur had delivered Gandalf's message like he said he would.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's also a bit of "truly wise people know their place and stick to it and don't try to get uppity ideas above their station" to Tolkien too, to be fair.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arargorn isn’t an uppity Noble in that scene tho

I agree he’s just mad at BB for being a dunce.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Imagined posted:

There's also a bit of "truly wise people know their place and stick to it and don't try to get uppity ideas above their station" to Tolkien too, to be fair.

Well yeah, he's English.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, but Butterbur had absolutely hosed up. The ringwraiths wouldn't have had anything to find if Butterbur had delivered Gandalf's message like he said he would.

No offense, but Gandalf hosed up by leaving Frodo to his own devices right after confirming that it was the ruling ring.
Butterbur is a full time innkeeper, while Gandalf is literally an angel with one job.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He didn’t abandon him. He was going to meet him at Bree.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

euphronius posted:

I did not say "abandon". I said "left to own devices".
IIRC there was no set date/time to meet in Bree, and Frodo left the Shire when he realized that welp, Gandalf is not showing.
There should have been no messing around, he should have taken Frodo to Rivendell ASAP.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

euphronius posted:

Yeah the idea was to get Frodo out of the Shire all casual-like so that any spies would be less likely to notice that something was afoot

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

But Gandalf definitely hosed up. One of the Nine is literally at Bag End the moment Frodo leaves for Crickhollow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

But Gandalf definitely hosed up. One of the Nine is literally at Bag End the moment Frodo leaves for Crickhollow.

My brain has a hard time dissociating the movies with the books

Sticking with the books , Frodo didn’t leave fast enough iirc

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gandalf's letter, left in July, told Frodo to leave for Rivendell immediately. If Frodo had recieved that letter he would have reached Rivendell at least a month before the Ringwraiths even reached the Shire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Hasselblad posted:

I did not say "abandon". I said "left to own devices".

The professor would be proud of this response. :hist101: