Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders Part 3/4
Happy Doom Day everyone. Now here's some Heretic!

Carpator Diei posted:

Those flashing lights in the Mausoleum are horrible on the eyes, even by Doom-engine-flashing-lights standards. And while the "bossfight" certainly makes an impression, it seems like the best and only solution is "Use Invulnerability + Tome of Power". This episode doesn't look terribly well-thought-out, all in all.

Interestingly, the person who made the aforementioned Wayfarer mod seems to have views similar to yours about Heretic's gameplay, since the mod changes a lot of the things you complained about in the video: It reduces the Ophidians' health (as well as that of the Maulotaur, Undead Warrior, and Nitrogolem), makes most weapons deal more damage, and turns the Disciples' Tome of Power drop into a new item that gives a short Tome of Power effect on pick-up to make sure that you actually use it. I haven't tried the mod myself, but to me the changes make the gameplay a lot more satisfying to look at, in some way.

By the way, here's the complete list of ghost monster immunities, according to the wiki:
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of episodes 4-5. Glad to see there's a mod that rebalances things! Also the list of ghost harming attacks is super helpful. It will probably come in handy next time I play Heretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Temin_Dump posted:

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of episodes 4-5.
I can see why. But having seen the final level of Episode 5 before, that one should be a bit of a spectacle at least :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I've been binging a bunch of the older videos, and I noticed you never got around to Keen 4-6. I think you mentioned them not being planned episodes, but I forget if there was any specific reason for it. Rewatching Keen 3's death montage brought a tear to my eye. :patriot:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh so [i]that[/s] explains all the commander keen hate. 4 is leaps and bounds better than 1-3, and arguably the best in the whole series. It's a high point of early 90s PC platformers, probably tied for first place in my memory with jazz jackrabbit.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 13, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm the lunatic who prefers Dreams over 5-6.

Keen 4 is my darling and disturbing obsession.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It probably helps that Keen 4-6 have in-level saves, so you don't need to start from the beginning each time, which matters a lot when you die in one hit.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders Part 4/4

Re: Keen, I never said I wasn't going to play them all

In fact....

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ooh, a pistol start on 4 levels in a row. Looks like for some reason, the first 3 of those levels only featured Heretic E1 monsters, not any of the ones from E2 or E3 (not counting the Maulotaur.)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Jeez, by now the only thing I like about Heretic is the textures. What a slog that game has been, and I remember being so excited when you started playing it :/

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Haven't noticed the epilogues' aversion to capitalisation before now, eurgh.

E:

Oh, it's almost all ingame text, wow.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, heretic is right there, in the title :v:

but yeah there's next to no capitalisation in heretic. as a kid i never noticed, but when i went back later i was thrown off as early as the main menu lmao

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

Jeez, by now the only thing I like about Heretic is the textures. What a slog that game has been, and I remember being so excited when you started playing it :/
As Doomworld member dew memorably expressed it in their Cacoward text for the Wayfarer mod: "Heretic's monsters are infamously ineffective yet spongy, its arsenal the cutest collection of fantasy-themed nerf guns. Even worse, the inventory system lends to hoarding power items, further hamstringing desperate attempts to endanger the player."

Though the Foetid Manse foetid manse map could have probably been a pretty good adventure map if it wasn't so confusing. The outside areas looked rather impressive, if nothing else. In fact, a lot of these maps had some nice visuals; shame about the gameplay, though. At least with foetid manse it ended up a fitting experience for a map with a title that basically means stink-house.

Probably also worth mentioning that a Heretic WAD won one of this year's Cacowards: The Faithless Trilogy by Jimmy Paddock.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 14, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The main thing I notice about Heretic (not having played it myself) is just how many monsters there are. And they all take more hits than you'd think they should. It looks exhausting.

The levels also seem unnecessarily large and mazey, but might not be too bad if it weren't for how crowded they are. I feel like a bit of fiddling with HHE (DeHackEd for Heretic) and a level editor could make a good game out of it, but as it is it just doesn't seem fun.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

BONUS CONTENT!!!
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders Part 5/4

There were also warp-only maps :haw:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Temin_Dump posted:

BONUS CONTENT!!!
Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders Part 5/4

There were also warp-only maps :haw:

Is the game audio a little ahead of the video?

Doesn't sound like the commentary is ahead, just the game audio.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Oh weird. It sounded fine before rendering. I wonder what happened?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Temin_Dump posted:

Oh weird. It sounded fine before rendering. I wonder what happened?

Sounds like it just on the first map though.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Sounds like it just on the first map though.
It's still there afterwards, but to a lesser degree. It's not too bad, in my opinion.
Now who did myhouse.wad better, Raven Software or Sandy Petersen in Suburbs?

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Merry Keensmas everyone!

Commadner Keen 4 Part 1/2

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Welcome back Coffee

*clap clap*
*clapclapclap*

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

This was my Mario, this was my Sonic, and I owned both their systems. Keen 4 blew them out of the sky, as it had that perfect feeling of exploration I prefer in my platformers.

The Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket does have a purpose, as it spawns a blaster behind the model if you're out of ammo.

E:

Man, you're really pulling those impossible pogo jumps.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 26, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would be hard pressed to name my absolute favorite game ever, but Keen 4 is a very strong contender.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
According to Wikipedia, this was released exactly one year after the first three Keen episodes; and Doom followed only two years later. The speed of technological advancement in game design at the time must've really been amazing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I played Keen 4 a lot.

- You can save mid-level, which really helps smooth out the difficulty.
- Poison slugs kill you on touch unless stunned.
- The rainwater on the planet has life-giving properties. Collect 100 drops (or a bottle) and get an extra life.
- I hope that you did the secret level in Keen 4, although it is a pain in the butt to unlock and to complete.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

According to Wikipedia, this was released exactly one year after the first three Keen episodes; and Doom followed only two years later. The speed of technological advancement in game design at the time must've really been amazing.

I think the biggest upgrade is being able to hang on to and climb ledges.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Being able to shoot up and down comes in super handy, too.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
- There's some items at the very top of the rocket level, unreachable without cheats.
- There's a secret area with multiple extra lives and a secret exit above the acid pools in the first level.
- You can ride around on the red bouncy balls. Standing on the edge lets you control where it goes. This helps with some tricky jumps.
- There's a cheat that will mess up your graphics in a way that helps you find secrets.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Commander Keen 4 Part 2/2
Now you all get to see how badly I messed up in this game :haw:

Also, glad you all have fond memories of Keen 4. It's probably my favorite of them all (Even if I'm not terribly great at it).
Looks like there's a bunch of stuff in Keen 4 I'll have to add to my Stuff I Missed video.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

turol posted:

- There's some items at the very top of the rocket level, unreachable without cheats.
- There's a secret area with multiple extra lives and a secret exit above the acid pools in the first level.
- You can ride around on the red bouncy balls. Standing on the edge lets you control where it goes. This helps with some tricky jumps.
- There's a cheat that will mess up your graphics in a way that helps you find secrets.

There's also a huge bit in hillville made up of invisible platforms in the sky, which are how you get to those thrusters we saw at the end of the level. If you stand still for a while you'll see them glint every few seconds. Yeah, I think the way that the levels feel really big and open gives the game a really nice sense of exploration rather than just being a bunch of hurdles between the start and the exit.

Technically, weren't a lot of PC programmers having tons of trouble figuring out how to get the screen to scroll smoothly around the time that Keen 4 came out? Most other PC platformers I can think of from that era were comparatively jerky. The game also looks amazing considering it's EGA - only 16 colours, right?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You mentioned Strifetoons, and my mind immediately sprang for this work of art:

https://www.angelfire.com/emo/shadowlands/

No kidding, it has some genuine laughs in it. :allears:

E:

The red land whale things steal stuff, and it racks up if you don't stop them in time. Also yeah, no ledge grabbing in Dreams, which never feels good after playing this.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Some levels have little invisible platforms, which are only given away by a little glint which appears every so often. Miragia and Sand Yego have some as well as Hillville.
- Yah, I wanted you to show off the most difficult level in the game to guard... the janitor. :allears:
- The "land dolphins" aren't listed in the manual, but they're "Treasure Eaters". They teleport around and consume treasure in the level. They only appear in that one level, too. If you practice a special jump from the start of the level, you can manage to stun the first one before it eats those two Lifewater bottles, and you can claim them for yourself.
- Keen Dreams did not have ledge grabbing, I think. I think you could toss the Flower Powers up or down, though,
- The text on the oracle reads "Acme Oracle". Yes, I have the Standard Galactic Alphabet memorized.
- That's a lot of deaths. :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's an idle animation where Keen sits down and reads a book if you don't touch the controls for a while.

Try letting it play out while standing on a moon in the moon temple.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, here's a new game to start of the new year!

Strife: Quest for the Sigil Part 1/???
Happy new year, everyone!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey, here's a new game to start of the new year!

Strife: Quest for the Sigil Part 1/???
Happy new year, everyone!

Oh man thanks for this, Strife sounds magical, esp. that voice acting :swoon:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Strife is criminally underrated and not nearly talked enough about. It just has so much gosh darn style to it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Oh YESSSSS!!! Strife is the god-drat bomb, and it holds up so fuckin' well! When it was released on GOG, I was absolutely over the moon; before that, I was only able to find :filez: versions of it, and they always slashed the voice-overs. It was still a good game, but boy did it feel so much emptier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This game is amazing. And I don't think I've ever even heard of it before. I feel like it must have suffered for coming out after Duke Nukem 3D and with Quake just around the corner. Bad timing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Echoing the positive reactions, Strife was just so far ahead of its time.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Strife Part 2/???
Glad to see you all excited for Strife! It's such a unique game, especially for the Doom engine, and I'm glad we finally made it here :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh wow, this is going fast all of a sudden.