Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would you buy their stock? Even at their height they weren’t trading that highly and they are now at a low point that is probably going to get worse before it gets better. If it does

It’s a bet that value will improve as they continue to work on the game, Sony re-lists them, and investors get over the turbulence. I think all those things are fairly likely which is why I took out a home equity loan to pay for a few thousand shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Metro Last Light Redux is free on GOG for the next 48h. You'll have to say you want to receive promo emails, but you can immediately go to your account > subscriptions and uncheck it to never receive any spam.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GOG occasionally sends out some fairly large discount offers in their promo emails so as long as you direct them to their own folder or something it’s one of the few mailing lists I actually do subscribe to.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the ethos GoG has around their store, and until they lose that, I'll still keep trying to patronize their store and hoping they succeed in the world. I don't really know the whole deal with Cyberpunk 2077, I don't generally get games at release anyways. Valve made amazing games at release back in the day, but they eventually quit making games anyways. At least for the most part.

I assume that with their general plan of making all the old games they put on their store work for modern machines, they'll work out the problems with Cyberpunk one way or another.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

they eventually quit making games anyways

This used to be true in like 2015, but in the last two years Valve released three games: Artifact, Dota Underlords, and Half-Life: Alyx.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I assume that with their general plan of making all the old games they put on their store work for modern machines

I don't think GOG has done this sort of thing in a long while or at least not with enough care that you wouldn't require community patches on top of more recent releases to get things working properly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like the ethos GoG has around their store, and until they lose that, I'll still keep trying to patronize their store and hoping they succeed in the world. I don't really know the whole deal with Cyberpunk 2077, I don't generally get games at release anyways. Valve made amazing games at release back in the day, but they eventually quit making games anyways. At least for the most part.

I guess this shows how out of touch I am with Gamer Culture but I will not likely ever pre-order or release-day buy anything. There are a thousand times more good games than hours available for me to play them, so I personally don't lose much by waiting 1-2 years to buy anything new. I avoid lemons, usually can buy at half price or less, and benefit from numerous patches/DLCs :shrug:

The modern game development philosophy is "release whatever primitive beta we have when release day rolls around, charge full price, let customers pay to beta test for us then sell missing features as DLC" but it's easy to not get burned by that by just... waiting to buy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean most games are actually functional when they come out I don’t know where the idea they are betas coming from. Cyberpunk is fairly abnormal in that regard

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eric the Mauve posted:

I guess this shows how out of touch I am with Gamer Culture but I will not likely ever pre-order or release-day buy anything. There are a thousand times more good games than hours available for me to play them, so I personally don't lose much by waiting 1-2 years to buy anything new. I avoid lemons, usually can buy at half price or less, and benefit from numerous patches/DLCs :shrug:

The modern game development philosophy is "release whatever primitive beta we have when release day rolls around, charge full price, let customers pay to beta test for us then sell missing features as DLC" but it's easy to not get burned by that by just... waiting to buy.

Those big terrible "day one" patches you hate? You're forgetting what it was like in the days of unpatchable disc and cartridge games where all those bugs are there forever unless you hope the developers update later print runs. And you can find it in the wild.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those big terrible "day one" patches you hate? You're forgetting what it was like in the days of unpatchable disc and cartridge games where all those bugs are there forever unless you hope the developers update later print runs. And you can find it in the wild.

There are absolutely some nightmare examples but those were far fewer and further in between relative to today.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I just wanna be able to slap a disc in and play like in the ps2 days

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
the concept of Day 1 patches are great - they allow work to continue on a game up til release date, so if something critical is discovered after the game went gold, it can be fixed. Its the execution that's the bigger problem

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Saoshyant posted:

This used to be true in like 2015, but in the last two years Valve released three games: Artifact, Dota Underlords, and Half-Life: Alyx.

So, two games people don’t want to play, and one game most people can’t play

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I just wanna be able to slap a disc in and play like in the ps2 days

Have you considered buying a Nintendo Switch? You slap a cart and play. And it's both a portable and a console. Love that thing.

Even has a very optimized port of the Witcher 3.

ymgve posted:

So, two games people don’t want to play, and one game most people can’t play

Just because it's games you don't want to play don't mean they aren't releasing games.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Counterpoint they should actually finish games before they release them, and then give everyone a vacation do rest and recuperate before they dive into their next project.

I don't even think the problem is with schedules or publishers anymore. I think ninety percent of the problems in the game industry are project managers being poo poo at their job. There is zero reason that a development team shouldn't be able to release a good, complete game after four or five years.

Nearly every disastrous release I've seen is the studio spinning their wheels, completely unfocused for two years, scrapping everything, and then rushing to get a game out in two years instead of 4

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Saoshyant posted:

Have you considered buying a Nintendo Switch? You slap a cart and play. And it's both a portable and a console. Love that thing.

Even has a very optimized port of the Witcher 3.
LOL, what? Switch games get patches, too. In fact, they kept tweaking the Witcher 3 port after release so it performed better. Some Switch physical carts aren’t even finished until months after release when they get a big patch. It’s just a problem with a lot of modern games, not some special thing about cartridges.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, what? Switch games get patches, too.

Yeah, nobody said they didn't. But things work in my experience out of the box without requiring any patch. My main Switch has CFW, so I have internet turned off completely "just in case". Whatever cart I put on that thing works fine without updating anything. It's as close as an experience to the PS2 era as the other guy was asking about.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hella same, but being excited about a thing--to the point that you're willing to spend a ton of money on it without knowing if it's broken or just bad--is something special. I don't get excited about anything anymore and that's the price I pay for cheap games.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just get hyped and buy the latest remaster on day 1, problem solved

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, nobody said they didn't. But things work in my experience out of the box without requiring any patch. My main Switch has CFW, so I have internet turned off completely "just in case". Whatever cart I put on that thing works fine without updating anything. It's as close as an experience to the PS2 era as the other guy was asking about.
A good number of physical Switch releases don't contain the entire game due to the lethal combo of larger-capacity Switch carts being much pricier to produce than Blu-Rays and publishers cheaping out on them, requiring a large download to get the full deal. Examples include Wolfenstein 2 (only half the game is on-cart), Spyro Trilogy (Only the first couple of levels of each game are on-cart), most multi-game compilations like Megaman Legacy Collection or Banner Saga Trilogy (usually only one game is on cart), and pretty much every 2K game (XCOM 2 only has two starting missions on cart)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, the industry standard way of fixing it in post now vs. trying to release a non broken product then. Completely comparable.

Bugs, even game breaking and performance reducing bugs, are a reality, sure. The way the industry has organized itself now around the incredibly candid "we might fix it later" mentality is slightly different from how it was though. Nobody was tripping over themselves to test the waters on whether it would actually hurt their bottom line by releasing broken and unfixable poo poo. It became standard because the internet and consumer apathy made it possible.

No doubt post release support is amazing now but holy poo poo if hasn't made the industry more toxic as a result because of capitalism and profit seeking.

Saoshyant posted:

Just because it's games you don't want to play don't mean they aren't releasing games.

but enough about Konami

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Kins posted:

A good number of physical Switch releases don't contain the entire game due to the lethal combo of larger-capacity Switch carts being much pricier to produce than Blu-Rays and publishers cheaping out on them, requiring a large download to get the full deal. Examples include Wolfenstein 2 (only half the game is on-cart), Spyro Trilogy (Only the first couple of levels of each game are on-cart), most multi-game compilations like Megaman Legacy Collection or Banner Saga Trilogy (usually only one game is on cart), and pretty much every 2K game (XCOM 2 only has two starting missions on cart)

The Resident Evil collections out are also just one game on the cartridge while the rest of the package is a download. On the upside with the RE4 + 5 + 6 pack the on-cartridge game is RE4!

I was considering picking up Mortal Kombat due to the download size, but the physical edition is just a product key card inside the case, no cartridge at all.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Saoshyant posted:

Seconding this. Having access to a decent set of NES/SNES ports was also a nice surprise, doubly so when I realised the Switch accepts third party USB/Bluetooth gamepads.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Kins posted:

Just to add one, I bought a compilation of the Resident Evil Revelations games on Switch. The first one was on cart, but the second was digital only and ths was problematic due to the Switch's tiny memory.

Edit: gently caress, beaten

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Yes, the industry standard way of fixing it in post now vs. trying to release a non broken product then. Completely comparable.

Bugs, even game breaking and performance reducing bugs, are a reality, sure. The way the industry has organized itself now around the incredibly candid "we might fix it later" mentality is slightly different from how it was though. Nobody was tripping over themselves to test the waters on whether it would actually hurt their bottom line by releasing broken and unfixable poo poo. It became standard because the internet and consumer apathy made it possible.

No doubt post release support is amazing now but holy poo poo if hasn't made the industry more toxic as a result because of capitalism and profit seeking.

but enough about Konami

I am with you, mate. People acting as if it's okay to regularly release shoddy Day 1 products because "we can fix it in post" is embarassing and shows both fanboyism and how innured people are to this horrible practice. You know as well as I that the Cyberpunk people knew that their product was hosed despite years of work, but they had to release it when they did to meet the Christmas frenzy. They will probably fix it up nicely and everyone will nod along and barely remember how it was, and that's the tragedy here like so many things under capitalism - when horrible things become normal.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 31, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like there are some rose tinted glasses here. It absolutely was standard practice to release broken games before patches became the norm. They just never got fixed and the fan bases actually came to love those bugs to a certain extent.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like there are some rose tinted glasses here. It absolutely was standard practice to release broken games before patches became the norm. They just never got fixed and the fan bases actually came to love those bugs to a certain extent.

SiN was broken as hell on release for example and had an at-the-time massive 31MB patch to rectify that (this was in 1998 where dialup was the norm).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

SiN was broken as hell on release for example and had an at-the-time massive 31MB patch to rectify that (this was in 1998 where dialup was the norm).

Oh hi, Ross, big fan!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Since the VTM Bloodlines thread has been archived for long... if I wanted to do a new playthrough (nothing fancy, just bugfixes) should I go for the unofficial patch only? or is there anything newer and better?

Oh nevermind, I found out that GOG version comes with the unofficial patch preinstalled and the desktop shortcut just launches it, noice

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 4, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

Oh hi, Ross, big fan!

Ha, yes admittedly that's exactly where I got it from. I didn't know about the patch and the size thereof until that video but I do remember SiN being super broken on release. I got stuck on one level because going into a pipe needed to progress basically put me into the infnite skybox zone for no conceivable reason.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Ha, yes admittedly that's exactly where I got it from. I didn't know about the patch and the size thereof until that video but I do remember SiN being super broken on release. I got stuck on one level because going into a pipe needed to progress basically put me into the infnite skybox zone for no conceivable reason.

And it completely flew under my radar because, as he said, SiN having the worst possible launch window.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I mostly buy games through GOG these days, and game "collecting" is basically part of my hobby/mental illness. Let's run the numbers for this year.

Bit of a lean year in terms of spending. I'd say the game I actually played the most was Talos Principle ($5.47), a melancholy puzzle game that took itself extremely seriously was just the thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 7, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Talos Principle is cool. And the puzzles are pretty good.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I can't remember if it's actual DLC or was a fan project but they got the VA for Serious Sam to say all the Elohim dialogue and it adds some fun levity to the experience

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, it's the "Serious DLC" dlc.

Apparently it changes the script too. I'll have to replay the game with it sometime.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I don't know how many people have one, but I just received a code for Kingmaker Imperial Edition on GOG which I cannot redeem as I already own it. If anyone wants the code, send me a PM.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Sorry to double-post, but most of the Sherlock Holmes games are about $2 on GOG right now. Are any of them good? The only one that I have previous experience with is the Case of the Serrated Scalpel, which isn't even on GOG.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is the best one of the lot. Recommended if you like Sherlock or adventure games with mysteries to solve. Kind of like a smaller budget LA Noire if you played that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Sorry to double-post, but most of the Sherlock Holmes games are about $2 on GOG right now. Are any of them good? The only one that I have previous experience with is the Case of the Serrated Scalpel, which isn't even on GOG.

As far as more traditional adventure games go Silver Earring/Awakened/Nemesis are decent enough, though they do fall on the more puzzle heavy side. Not like Myst or something like that but you aren’t just moving around inventory objects and rubbing them on each other to get to another area. Also at various points you’ll need to reach a conclusion, somewhat by yourself, to progress and that generally involves reviewing and comparing in-game notes and the like.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Finally a Good Old Game is released on GOG again

I don´t have much experience with the DOS version but I absolutely love the Amiga version of this game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arvid posted:

Finally a Good Old Game is released on GOG again

I don´t have much experience with the DOS version but I absolutely love the Amiga version of this game.

I saw that today, as well as the RPG sale. I’ve never heard of this game. Game good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

chaosapiant posted:

I saw that today, as well as the RPG sale. I’ve never heard of this game. Game good?

Moonstone is great, at least the Amiga version, it's one of those games I played over and over again as a kid, it's ever better with some friends since the game supports up to four players, the DOS-version is worse especially in the sound department but still good and playable.

It's not an RPG despite what the description says however, it does have xp and stat-increases but it's more of an action game than anything.

Be warned though, the game is pretty hard.