Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For real though, I get that some folks hated the "talking animals" but that's honestly one of the most interesting concepts you could do with Fallout—having non-human societies rising up from the wastes with their own cultures, thought processes, and priorities compared to normal-rear end humans. There's a lot of potential for storytelling there!
:haibrower:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's there a list of the good modern must have mods? Been thinking about playing this again

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

It's there a list of the good modern must have mods? Been thinking about playing this again

Viva New Vegas is a lightweight mod guide that'll give you an extremely stable and functional version of the game. Its current iteration is fairly minimalistic, but it works great, and you can use it as a base for further modding, if you so desire.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

What if they were snake people who wanted to gently caress you tho

snakes don't have feet so what's the point

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If you think about it, a snakes entire under belly is a foot.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

rope kid posted:

I think people like Cass, but the stock caravan shotgun isn't well-suited to most of the enemies you fight around the time you get her.

It's easily-remedied, but I wouldn't be surprised if people look at her, look at Boone, and just conclude, "She is mechanically bad," before booting her instead of changing her gear.

This was me until probably the fifth playthough.

I try to hold onto a 100% condition GRA-ed hunting shotgun just for her now. Sucks running out of primers and hulls all the time, but she's a beast. Set to aggressive, I have to race her to the finish of any encounter. That's appropriate, in Cass's very inappropriate style.

"Keeping up, boy?!"
*wiping mega-bug guts from face*
"Getting there."
"Fuckin' finally. Do have a light?"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think I ended up mainly giving Cass high-damage rifles like This Machine and the Survivalist's Rifle in most of my recent playthroughs just because of my unconfirmed suspicion that her NPC version of the Shotgun Surgeon perk that she's supposed to have doesn't actually work.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Giving Followers better ammo sucks because it eats into your time and resources handloading for yourself.

Giving Followers better weapons also sucks because they will be shot out of their hands and you'll never see it again.

Basically, Cass and to a lesser extent Raul are unusable for combat is what I'm saying.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I've never even considered giving companions better ammo, can they even use it. Can they decide when it's right to switch between AP and Hollow Point?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Raul has a 44 magnum do he's good actually.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
They can use the good ammo but I don't think they intelligently switch. Better to just give them the best generic hand loaded you can. They don't collect shells though, so it's more wasteful than when you shoot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If companions were modded to have the Hand Loader perk would they recover shells?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Arcsquad12 posted:

If companions were modded to have the Hand Loader perk would they recover shells?

I'd doubt it as the Player recovers shells without the perk - they just recover more if they have the perk. I don't see why NPCs would start recovering shells if they're given the perk.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

oh jay posted:

Giving Followers better ammo sucks because it eats into your time and resources handloading for yourself.

Giving Followers better weapons also sucks because they will be shot out of their hands and you'll never see it again.

Basically, Cass and to a lesser extent Raul are unusable for combat is what I'm saying.

Raul is death on two legs in his Vaquero form if you give him a lever action rifle like the medicine stick.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ThaumPenguin posted:

Viva New Vegas is a lightweight mod guide that'll give you an extremely stable and functional version of the game. Its current iteration is fairly minimalistic, but it works great, and you can use it as a base for further modding, if you so desire.

Cool thanks

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tubgoat posted:

More sapient deathclaws!! :rant:

Agreed, heck I'd even settle for a non-talking deathclaw friend I could ride around on.

Boone and ED-E are my favorite companions because early in the game the two of them just murder whatever they come across before you even notice it's there. Anyway, I hate choosing between companions though so I just play with a mod where I can have as many people with me as I want and just travel around with whoever I happen to find.

Edit:

The Gang Visits the Strip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjSf8Jknq8

Edit edit:

Who killed house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j05G6opL08c

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 5, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never even considered giving companions better ammo, can they even use it. Can they decide when it's right to switch between AP and Hollow Point?

If you give a companion a good firearm but without the ammo for it, they think its empty and stick with their default gun. You have to give them some ammo for the gun so they'd switch to it. I don't remember if they know how to switch between different ammo types, so I suspect they use the ones that deal more damage even if it's not the best one for the fight.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

rope kid posted:

I think people like Cass, but the stock caravan shotgun isn't well-suited to most of the enemies you fight around the time you get her.

It's easily-remedied, but I wouldn't be surprised if people look at her, look at Boone, and just conclude, "She is mechanically bad," before booting her instead of changing her gear.

It blows my mind when people only use one or two party members in a game like this, or have one set party in a party-based game and leave fully half of the available party members on the table. Why deny yourself content?!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It’s because they’re horny for one of the companions OP

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Because it's an RPG and maybe I don't give a poo poo about robots this playthrough. Or maybe I find half the characters annoying. Or literally any reason at all.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Because even if you're just constantly swapping your companions around you're still probably missing content. There's an opportunity cost to everything and it's infuriating so I'm trapped constantly replaying the game to get all of the content.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

It blows my mind when people only use one or two party members in a game like this, or have one set party in a party-based game and leave fully half of the available party members on the table. Why deny yourself content?!

Because if I don't like the companions - who are more like content facilitators / enhancers than content in itself, it detracts from my enjoyment of the rest of the game.Most companons in FNV are fine, both gameplay-wise, and character-wise, but I can easily see pretty much all of them being grating for somebody.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Did anyone here travel with Lily for an extended period of time? I don’t think I ever added her to my party.

I loved all the other companions though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lol whom of you was this,

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1391477826436562944?s=20

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think they post here anymore. I don't remember their username. It was around the early 2000s. My current SA Games haters all have the bushidō to just criticize my design decisions instead of bagging on devs who started in QA.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sometimes I feel like I've been on these forums for an eternity and then something reminds me that I know nothing.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

be fair some of us have been around since the BIS forums

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I've been lurking SA since 2013 which will soon be a decade and yet I still feel like a stupid newbie who is completely unaware of all the deep SA lore that gets referenced lol

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I just rarely ever posted outside of Games. And to be honest, I feel like time has only validated that decision.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I've loved all of the games that you have made; I just can't abide the watches with subtle flieger elements /s.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2021

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I love this thread and TCC because I can talk about drugs and people usually respond well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You mean Chems?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Smol posted:

Did anyone here travel with Lily for an extended period of time? I don’t think I ever added her to my party.

I loved all the other companions though.

Yeah, I traveled around with Grandma a good long time. She's a Sweetie, and her story made me cry a bit.

But Dog/God is my favorite Nightkin companion (sorry grandma, I still love you), honestly all the Dead Money companions are top tier. I really wish you could use them outside of the DLC.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always wanted to bring Follows Chalk back with me, It woulda been cool to see the reactions of a true outsider to the Mojave

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaius Marius posted:

I always wanted to bring Follows Chalk back with me, It woulda been cool to see the reactions of a true outsider to the Mojave

Same! If he wants to see the rest of the world he really should stick with me since I'm the most terrifying thing in it.

Seriously, I played Honest Hearts last because I didn't realize it was the first DLC and I just SLAUGHTERED everything I came across.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Second DLC actually, although it would work well as the first

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gaius Marius posted:

Second DLC actually, although it would work well as the first

Ah, I guess I just assumed it was the first because it kind of felt like a good starting DLC as I was playing through it.

Either way I was way over leveled. I started to feel really bad for the White Legs making constant suicidal charges at me.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I don't think the White Legs are a threat at any level, besides maybe rushing it as soon as you start?

It's better than the bullet sponges in the other DLCs.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

You mean Chems?

Did they call them chems in fallout 1/2? I could have sworn they were just drugs and they renamed them to chems with 3 so they could sell the game in Australia or something though “chem” does also sound more scifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The challenge in Honest Hearts comes from the enemy spawns at higher levels. White Legs aren't tough even with Anti Mat rifles but having three giant yuo guai, giant green geckos or giant cazadores spawn right in front of you every time you exit an interior cell is a good way to get hosed up.