Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The katana is worse because it’s not like KOTOR where they made swords a thing in universe. It’s just him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Android Blues posted:

Outside of the terrible novel he's in and the fact that he beats you up in a cutscene on Thessia, I don't think there's anything really wrong with Kai Leng. He's a totally acceptable mid-boss, the Illusive Man's inadequate replacement for his star asset.

It's fine for new characters and things to be introduced in later parts of a series obviously, but we're supposed to buy that this is sort of Shepard's counterpart, a total N7 badass with none of Shep's conscience (so if you're renegade the difference is apparently no longer working for cerberus), and he's just some dork who shows up and has negative charisma.

An actual answer to Shepard works much better as either something like an established character like the Virmire survivor. Or if they wanted it to actually seem like a meaningful negaShepard, it really ought to have been an inspiring leader (through fear if you need it to be edgy or whatever) with a loyal squad, just like Shepard. Nothing about the character feels earned because he just shows up to own you in cutscenes until you can finally fight him and immediately obliterate him with nova.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Android Blues posted:

Outside of the terrible novel he's in and the fact that he beats you up in a cutscene on Thessia, I don't think there's anything really wrong with Kai Leng. He's a totally acceptable mid-boss, the Illusive Man's inadequate replacement for his star asset.

His first appearance of him getting his rear end-kicked by a dying Thane is one (underwhelming) thing.

It wasn’t just that he beat you in a cutscene; gently caress, Saren did that, it’s that he gloats about how weak Shepard is as he immediately hides behind his gunship companion. That’s just lame and humiliating for anyone.

And the icing on the cake is that absolutely hilariously pathetic troll email he sends you as he channeled an average Xbox Live COD kid sending salty hate mail

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The problem with Kai Leng is that it’s the third game of a trilogy where you’re closing out 60 hours of plot arcs and player choices and they ask you to care about some schmuck you’ve never seen before. I know he was in some novels but the amount of people that read those can be counted on a nitrogen chemist’s fingers.

It’s the same problem as That loving Kid and The Crucible. Pretty much everything that doesn’t land in ME3 is some new element that doesn’t build off the other stuff in the trilogy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I forgot how much it bugged me that a big chunk of my squad don't wear any loving armour in Mass effect 2. Liara in 1 had her scientist uniform, but she still wore actual combat gear when getting into gunfights. Why are you walking through a combat zone in your gym kit, Jacob? Why are you wearing a dumb breathing mask with no goggles on this collector ship, samara? Your eyeballs are gonna freeze and be pulled out of your head, dipshit

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Oh right, Kai Leng. Definitely the worst choice bioware made with ME3, even considering the endings. The best thing I can say about him is that he isn't present for thaaaaat much of the game and that the renegade trigger for killing him is good

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having a beaten ME2 three times I think the weakest part of the gameplay is how linear and limited progression is. There's only one of each weapon type to bother with, and three classes (Adept, Sentinel, Engineer) spend half the game with only a pistol and a crappy SMG.

Ally skill-trees are so hilariously small that they might as well not exist.

ME3 at least accomplished the best combat, skill-trees, and gear-system of the series.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Every time Kai Leng gets brought up it's easier to just link this very well done article that pretty much perfectly sums up everything wrong with him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I forgot how much it bugged me that a big chunk of my squad don't wear any loving armour in Mass effect 2. Liara in 1 had her scientist uniform, but she still wore actual combat gear when getting into gunfights. Why are you walking through a combat zone in your gym kit, Jacob? Why are you wearing a dumb breathing mask with no goggles on this collector ship, samara? Your eyeballs are gonna freeze and be pulled out of your head, dipshit

Yeah honestly one of the problems I have with the later games is inability to put everyone in matching pink armor. I know they were going for distinct "hero" designs but like almost all the generic armors in the first Mass Effect look better than whatever the poo poo the folks in 2 get away with wearing.

Every day is casual Friday on a Cerberus ship, except for the plebs, I guess.

e: the obvious exception are the camo armors which all look really dumb

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Did anyone playing on Win 10 have this problem?

Using a Xbox One controller connected via Bluetooth, in game the controller input is all screwy and the camera is constantly spinning around. The only one of the three games I've tried so far is ME1.

The same controller wired over USB works correctly in game. Other non-ME games on Origin use the Xbone controller wirelessly just fine. Steam uses it just fine.

Anybody else experienced this or is it a known issue?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rynoto posted:

Every time Kai Leng gets brought up it's easier to just link this very well done article that pretty much perfectly sums up everything wrong with him.

article quality aside, I have to laugh that you're linking a 4000 word essay claiming it "sums up" anything

that's sort of the opposite

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I like the random marine(?) in camo armor similar to one guarding Legion before you activate him in 2. Then he disappears forever.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kai Leng should have had a personality inverse of your paragon score. He could still be annoying in a self-aware way (moralizing “stealing is wrong!” speeches or Saturday morning cartoon villain). That would have been more fun anyway.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
The ending of ME3 is pretty lackluster, but it's far from the worst ending to a game I have played (that honor goes to Bulletstorm). At least there are some really good memorable parts over the course of the game. Tuchunka is still one of the most memorable scripted moments for me in games I've played.

And yes kai lang is really silly. He reminds me of the kind of npc a high school edge lord DM would put in complete with the kicks your but once because reasons railroading cinematic. He really need to introduced in ME2 and done differently to have an impact that didn't come off as a bit silly.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Kai Leng should've snuck onto the Normandy and ate your fish.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I was actually very happy that the sequels put characters in something other than big plastic iPhone cases

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Psion posted:

article quality aside, I have to laugh that you're linking a 4000 word essay claiming it "sums up" anything

that's sort of the opposite

Kai Leng has so much wrong with him that I feel it's still fair! :v:

It's absolutely the opposite but whatever

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Kai Leng should have had a personality inverse of your paragon score. He could still be annoying in a self-aware way (moralizing “stealing is wrong!” speeches or Saturday morning cartoon villain). That would have been more fun anyway.

Yeah, honestly even without too much drastic rewriting you at the very least could have had some sort of thematically compelling counterpart to Shepard that would have been more satisfying than what they went with.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like a counterpoint for Shepard doesn’t really work? Like even if you go full paragon or renegade it’s not like Shepard stands for anything.

He doesn’t want everyone to die I guess?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

The katana is worse because it’s not like KOTOR where they made swords a thing in universe. It’s just him

There's multiplayer classes that totally have swords, they're a thing in universe

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

They should have kept Kai Leng as he is, but just never have Shepard or any of the Normandy crew ever take him seriously. They even almost did it with the "not much of an assassin if he got his rear end kicked by a terminally sick Drell" line.

Then again I haven't seen any more of him after the coup yet. Maybe he gets worse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like a counterpoint for Shepard doesn’t really work? Like even if you go full paragon or renegade it’s not like Shepard stands for anything.

He doesn’t want everyone to die I guess?

He's TIM's replacement for Shepard/a version of Shepard that was loyal all the way to the end going by the fact that he's also explicitly an N7 operative, who are supposed to be rare at least as written in the codex.

I mean I guess I just mean there's so much more interesting ways they could have used the idea and tied it in thematically in a pretty satisfying way at the end of a trilogy when that sort of detail is most satisfying to experience.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

There's multiplayer classes that totally have swords, they're a thing in universe

Are they a thing not in multiplayer? Because I don’t remember them and I do not care about something only in multiplayer

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Simone Magus posted:

yes, but those swords are mostly a vehicle by which you launch your wave of death. or in one case, having mastered an ascending minor scale you can use it to teleport.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Love how since ME has no kid models(except for... you know) most of the NPC's who are supposed to be teenagers or younger look like they're in their 20's/30's/even older. Pretty funny honestly

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are they a thing not in multiplayer? Because I don’t remember them and I do not care about something only in multiplayer

There's a type of Cerberus troop that shows up a few times that use swords and cloaking to get up close. And some Cerberus heavies pull out a sword/machete thing to attack you at close range. I guess Cerberus has at least one Sword Guy in their R&D department.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cerberus Phantoms, you fight them in several places during the campaign. And yes, they're in mp also.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

psychoJ posted:

Love how since ME has no kid models(except for... you know) most of the NPC's who are supposed to be teenagers or younger look like they're in their 20's/30's/even older. Pretty funny honestly

Why didnt they just use that model for the epilogue?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psion posted:

Cerberus Phantoms, you fight them in several places during the campaign. And yes, they're in mp also.

There's also the N7 Shadow class in multiplayer, which is based around chopping heads off with their sword.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Omni tools literally turn into laser swords for your heavy attack.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Spacebump posted:

I like the random marine(?) in camo armor similar to one guarding Legion before you activate him in 2. Then he disappears forever.
That moment always makes me laugh, because it's one of the only times in the entire trilogy when one of the marines on the Normandy actually does something.

I just always imagine them hanging around on their bunks, playing cards, and watching Shephard & his chosen few constantly leaving the ship while wondering if they're ever going to be given an assignment. "You'd think with the world ending terror the Normandy flies into every single day, they'd figure out something for us to do besides guarding a few doors."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Huh I completely forgot about them. I guess because Cerebrus kind of sucks. Solid concept but not really an idea what to do with them

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just had all of my money disappear after doing the Horizon mission in ME3. I’m almost done with the game so it’s not really an issue but is still kind of strange

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jokymi posted:

"You'd think with the world ending terror the Normandy flies into every single day, they'd figure out something for us to do besides guarding a few doors."

EDI: "Hold that thought, I just plugged in this new Reaper IFF..."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cythereal posted:

There's also the N7 Shadow class in multiplayer, which is based around chopping heads off with their sword.

Isn't there an Asari class in MP that also has a sword? (Because it's a reskin of the shadow/phantom)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jokymi posted:

That moment always makes me laugh, because it's one of the only times in the entire trilogy when one of the marines on the Normandy actually does something.

I just always imagine them hanging around on their bunks, playing cards, and watching Shephard & his chosen few constantly leaving the ship while wondering if they're ever going to be given an assignment. "You'd think with the world ending terror the Normandy flies into every single day, they'd figure out something for us to do besides guarding a few doors."

It's even funnier when the collectors show up to haul off the crew, and the only guys we see guarding the airlock or fighting back are like, bridge and deck crew in their rec gear.

Icedude posted:

They should have kept Kai Leng as he is, but just never have Shepard or any of the Normandy crew ever take him seriously. They even almost did it with the "not much of an assassin if he got his rear end kicked by a terminally sick Drell" line.

Then again I haven't seen any more of him after the coup yet. Maybe he gets worse.

Yeah it's this, if the game had played him as a joke then he'd be fine: the idiot goober TIM tricked into actually thinking they were a match for Shepard. But the game seems to expect you to take him seriously, which, :lol::lol::lol:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 4, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

howe_sam posted:

Isn't there an Asari class in MP that also has a sword? (Because it's a reskin of the shadow/phantom)

Would make sense, as Andromeda has an asari sword as one of the melee weapon options

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Btw, playing on a series x and I have to say, anyone who is playing on a console or PC attached to an HDR capable display should try turning HDR off to see if it's preferable. ME1 HDR is mostly fine but it does terrible things to skin tones in parts of ME1 and most of 2 and 3. Since turning off HDR capability people look much more natural and my eyes have already adjusted to the slightly lower contrast of the non-HDR image, the game and tv still look fantastic at 4k regardless, and imo substantially better.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Miranda: Please stop! Kai Leng sucks as a fighter! A child could beat him!

Illusive Man: I must apologize for Kai Leng. He is an idiot. We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

MechaX posted:

it’s that he gloats about how weak Shepard is as he immediately hides behind his gunship companion. That’s just lame and humiliating for anyone.

personally, I just refuse to be insulted by videogame characters