Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Palpek posted:

Imagine not playing TW3 with the mod that changes all characters' faces to the actors from the Netflix series.

It took me a long time to figure out what creeped me out the most about this but it's definitely Geralt's arm hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hawkperson posted:

It took me a long time to figure out what creeped me out the most about this but it's definitely Geralt's arm hair
The modder went to such an extent to not just replace Geralt's head but to lovingly recreate Cavill's entire body from photos that I'm almost sure this was paid for by the studio or something.

The original Geralt for comparison:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For the record the creepy faces up above were version 1 and the guy has been trying to improve it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Taking a hammer to whatever cursed hardrive has that mod is the best improvement they could implement

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The quests in this game are so good, though I guess they'll get repetitive and boringish at some point. The worst one I did so far was Towerful of Mice. It was really good up until the moment of choice and then I apparently chose poorly because I got a very anticlimactic and disappointing ending. So I free a plague maiden into the world and don't have the option to track her down or at least see some consequences of my choice? As far as I know this wraith never appears again and this might be the only time you can fight with this type of enemy. Feels like the only logical thing to do is reloading and choosing the 'right' path, which I didn't do because when I realised that was really it, I was already 1-2 hours ahead. The quests here are generally really good about the choices and consequences and this one feels undercooked.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are trap quests like that in all three Witcher games and they rely on you understanding Geralt's skills in deductive reasoning. It's almost always worth it to exhaust every dialogue option when you get the chance because you and therfore Geralt can catch characters in a lie.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Well yes, there are a lot of characters who lie to Geralt to manipulate him but I think you often get to play along for a bit just to get a full story. In this quest specifically I thought that calling the ghost out on lying will cause her to attack me and end the quest prematurely so I agreed to help her to get to the bottom of it. And I was wrong but I still think there could be something more out of this outcome other than me feeling silly for a while

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

macabresca posted:

Well yes, there are a lot of characters who lie to Geralt to manipulate him but I think you often get to play along for a bit just to get a full story. In this quest specifically I thought that calling the ghost out on lying will cause her to attack me and end the quest prematurely so I agreed to help her to get to the bottom of it. And I was wrong but I still think there could be something more out of this outcome other than me feeling silly for a while

If I remember correctly there is a tiny bit more. You'll see sick people in nearby towns for the rest of the game, coughing away as they slowly die.

No need to feel silly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the Plague Maiden is the only quest where I've played it multiple times but never got the "good" ending. I always took the bones back to the fisherman.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I "failed" that quest too. That's what I get for being nice to creepy crawlies. Back to work I guess!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I do like that being nice to the monster isn't always the smart or heroic option.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of those things where it helps to read the bestiary. No, it's not intuitive, but it can be handy in situations like dealing with wraiths or succubi.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's not that she's a monster, it's that she's suspicious af.

Edit: But tbh, can't say I blame her. That event was an absolute horrific shitshow.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 16, 2021

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If you explore all the dialogue options Geralt flat out accuses her of being a liar and she goes "being a ghost is so hard ;_;" but doesn't actually explain her inconsistencies

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think the whole "no obvious good choices" and conflicting morality is one of the main reasons that the storytelling in W3 is so compelling and visceral. For better or worse, it mirrors real life. Bad things happen to good people, good things happen for bad people and the best you can do is make an informed decision based on what you know and feel in that moment and half the time poo poo still sucks. I had my issues with the game and several reasons that I quit on it but the story branches were certainly not one of them.

If you strip the story out of this game and the way it's delivered, it easily drops a full star in its review rating. The moral ambiguity and the consequences of your choices are a feature, not a bug. I think you're meant to second guess yourself and kick yourself in the rear end wondering if you could have done something differently. I mean, poo poo, when you start the game, it's made patently obvious that 3/4 of the people in the world hate you just for being a Witcher.

You're not The Chosen One here, delivered from on high as has been foretold in the legends. You're a horny gently caress up with several special powers trying to do your best in a world gone to poo poo where rich and poor people alike hate your guts while begging for your help. It's pretty loving cool.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

a world gone to poo poo where rich and poor people alike hate your guts

Can you really blame them? Between the fake Witcher, the rear end in a top hat who slaughtered a village, the haggling over fees, the culling of kids, and getting your best Gwent cards taken away I'd steer clear of Witchers too

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Obviously I agree with all of you wrt the moral choices and general quality of writing, etc. It's just that this one quest didn't feel as good as others :shobon:

KPC_Mammon posted:

If I remember correctly there is a tiny bit more. You'll see sick people in nearby towns for the rest of the game, coughing away as they slowly die.
Speaking of which because I don't remember if this plot was ever resolved, is the Catriona plague still a thing in W3?

In other news, holy poo poo was meeting Triss awkward

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

macabresca posted:

Speaking of which because I don't remember if this plot was ever resolved, is the Catriona plague still a thing in W3?

It was part of a larger plotline that got cut from the game. It would have included Iorveth investigating the spread of the plague.

What is left in the game is a random encounter with a supposedly immune man hauling plague victims as well as one of Keira Metz's endings having her cure the Catriona plague either using the notes from Tower Full of Mice or by finding a cure on her own.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

macabresca posted:

The quests in this game are so good, though I guess they'll get repetitive and boringish at some point. The worst one I did so far was Towerful of Mice. It was really good up until the moment of choice and then I apparently chose poorly because I got a very anticlimactic and disappointing ending. So I free a plague maiden into the world and don't have the option to track her down or at least see some consequences of my choice? As far as I know this wraith never appears again and this might be the only time you can fight with this type of enemy. Feels like the only logical thing to do is reloading and choosing the 'right' path, which I didn't do because when I realised that was really it, I was already 1-2 hours ahead. The quests here are generally really good about the choices and consequences and this one feels undercooked.

never trust a ghost

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except for the ghosts in the DLCs. They're usually pretty chill.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Marx Headroom posted:

Can you really blame them? Between the fake Witcher, the rear end in a top hat who slaughtered a village, the haggling over fees, the culling of kids, and getting your best Gwent cards taken away I'd steer clear of Witchers too

No. I didn't say I blame them at all. I was just saying it's great story telling and everyone already hating Geralt sets the tone right away. Probably the best storytelling I've seen in a video game - or at least one like this that offers so much freedom. There's a reason people are still talking about it in a 6 year old thread.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

macabresca posted:

In other news, holy poo poo was meeting Triss awkward

It is, and how you handle Keira impacts it.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh right, I've already talked to her about it but I forgot :doh:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Finished the main quests in Velen, and then jumped to Skellige skipping Novigrad for the moment.

Velen Spoilers:
Freed Black Beauty and saved the children, at the cost of Phillip and Anna.:( I don't know if I should have done anything different, it's a bunch of kids on the line, but boy was that depressing. It is amazingly easy to get lost in Velen just treasure hunting and getting caught up in local problems. I just stopped doing quests and decided to move on when I was level 13 and all the remaining Contracts were level 20+. I still haven't gotten the soothsayer's Gwent card, and apparently there are 10 Gwent cards in Velen I have yet to find.

Skellige spoilers and thoughts so far
-Travelling by boat around the isles is triggering a bit of Thalassophobia in me, I freak out a little whenever the whales breach the surface. While traveling by boat around Velen was quite restful, with only drowners to worry about, the Sirens are a nuisance and kind of spoil the fun. They aren't that dangerous in the water, but they freak me out when I'm in the water and they shred boats easily if I don't jump in.
-The landscape is utterly beautiful
-The races in Skellige are a lot more fun than in Velen, the fistfights are a lot more challenging though
-The Enhanced Griffin Armor is really ugly, I need to find the designs for Bear or Cat armor, or just buy the Undvik set, to keep from going blind.
-The Lord of Undvik is a horribly designed quest
-Posession was a fun little investigation

The thing that really strikes me about Skellige is how juvenile Yennefer is in her dealings with everyone. She doesn't bother to tell Crach or Ermion about Ciri, simply demanding their aid without sharing information even though they both have a personal connection with Ciri. Then to justify her theft of the mask she claims there is no time to use other methods that Ermion has brought up, but she has been stalling for a couple of weeks at least while Geralt rode from Vizima to Velen, wandered around the swamps, then had to take a boat to Skellige. The claim of there being no time to do anything but the most destructive and reckless actions is at odds with Yennefer's own stalling to create that feeling of crisis, she is willing to do anything except show basic diplomatic skill and the ability understand another's point of view. If she had gone to Velen and Geralt to Skellige she'd still be arguing with the Bloody Baron that he should just give her information without any aid finding his family when Geralt got on the boat back.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Servetus posted:

Finished the main quests in Velen, and then jumped to Skellige skipping Novigrad for the moment.

Velen Spoilers:
Freed Black Beauty and saved the children, at the cost of Phillip and Anna.:( I don't know if I should have done anything different, it's a bunch of kids on the line, but boy was that depressing. It is amazingly easy to get lost in Velen just treasure hunting and getting caught up in local problems. I just stopped doing quests and decided to move on when I was level 13 and all the remaining Contracts were level 20+. I still haven't gotten the soothsayer's Gwent card, and apparently there are 10 Gwent cards in Velen I have yet to find.

Skellige spoilers and thoughts so far
-Travelling by boat around the isles is triggering a bit of Thalassophobia in me, I freak out a little whenever the whales breach the surface. While traveling by boat around Velen was quite restful, with only drowners to worry about, the Sirens are a nuisance and kind of spoil the fun. They aren't that dangerous in the water, but they freak me out when I'm in the water and they shred boats easily if I don't jump in.
-The landscape is utterly beautiful
-The races in Skellige are a lot more fun than in Velen, the fistfights are a lot more challenging though
-The Enhanced Griffin Armor is really ugly, I need to find the designs for Bear or Cat armor, or just buy the Undvik set, to keep from going blind.
-The Lord of Undvik is a horribly designed quest
-Posession was a fun little investigation

The thing that really strikes me about Skellige is how juvenile Yennefer is in her dealings with everyone. She doesn't bother to tell Crach or Ermion about Ciri, simply demanding their aid without sharing information even though they both have a personal connection with Ciri. Then to justify her theft of the mask she claims there is no time to use other methods that Ermion has brought up, but she has been stalling for a couple of weeks at least while Geralt rode from Vizima to Velen, wandered around the swamps, then had to take a boat to Skellige. The claim of there being no time to do anything but the most destructive and reckless actions is at odds with Yennefer's own stalling to create that feeling of crisis, she is willing to do anything except show basic diplomatic skill and the ability understand another's point of view. If she had gone to Velen and Geralt to Skellige she'd still be arguing with the Bloody Baron that he should just give her information without any aid finding his family when Geralt got on the boat back.

several of the easy to miss Gwent cards are sold by a merchant who is locked up at a bandit camp, you have to kill the bandits and free him and then he'll wander home and you can buy the cards from him

the bandit camp is on an island a little east of Oreton and Claywich, kind of right in the middle of Velen

then the merchant goes home to Claywich

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Servetus posted:

Velen Spoilers:

She presumably hasn't been stalling while you've been wondering around. She's been researching the mask and as much as she can of the magical storm while being stonewalled, not to mention existing in a liminal space where she can't move forward because she's not a video game protagonist. Don't think it's fair to hold time against people when Geralt can become addicted to gambling and waste his time travelling from town to town challenging innkeepers and blacksmiths for weeks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I agree, Lords of Undvik is an annoying slog. The boss fight is fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Servetus posted:

re: sirens, you can use the crossbow while you're steering the boat. On PC you just click middle mouse, Gerry will auto-aim and it usually one-hits them

I was gonna say use the hornwall horn and while that thing is funny as poo poo (always be tooting) it infuriatingly cannot be used on a boat.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 17, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The worst part of Lord of Undvik is that you need to do it to finish the Master Armourers quest, unless you want to take a ridiculously long route around the western side of the island and sequence break your way up a mountainside.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wdnsJxn-ss
Season 2 Ciri has eyebrows.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Finished main quest in Novigrad. It was a nice change of pace from Velen, I really enjoy parts of these games when Geralt hangs out with his buddies.

A while ago I was talking to my brother about Triss and he said "let's see how many fingers will you handle". I didn't know what he was talking about. Now I do.

:gonk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cobalt-60 posted:

All NPCs helpfully leave their Gwent card if they die/flee/are polymorphed. The only cards you can't get afterwards are the ones at the masquerade ball and the Gwent tournament.

I think the tavernkeeper in White Orchard kinda just disappeared. When I read a guide that said to go back and buy a card from there. Might be a bug or might be a consequence of having gotten to the quest where whether you defend the tavern or not gets brought up again.

Tender Bender posted:

It has a ton of fun writing, whether it's individual lines in a serious situation or funny side quests like the one you mentioned. I kind of took it for granted after spending 100+ hours in the main quest. When I started Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I hit a number of Wacky Sidequests where it was clear they were trying to do a similar thing, but the writing wasn't quite there, to the point where it made me just miss the Witcher so I played both DLC.

I felt Assassin's Creed Origins was trying harder to copy the Witcher with its crime scene investigation missions.

When I played through Witcher 3, it really felt like finding finding the missing ingredient as to what shaped so many other games that came afterwards. Most games didn't really get most of what they were copying, but I'd like to see more try.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The building that Triss lives in is so cool. Took me a moment to realise why it feels so weird inside

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I finished the main quest and am now working through Blood and Wine and my favorite part is that now when I load the game Dandelion shuts the gently caress up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This bards tale begins near white orchard.

March of the Pigs
Sep 25, 2005
the pigs have won tonight

Hawkperson posted:

I just started playing this game for the first time ever this week, just finished the Baron questline (who'd have thought releasing a very angry at humans tree druid spirit thing that doesn't care about collateral damage would have far-reaching consequences, whoops). This game kicks rear end for sure but I'm bummed I can't get Auto Apply Oils to work though, remembering to do that every fight is a pain in the rear. I'm a modding newb so I'm probably fuckin something up, but as far as I know it's installed correctly but the game still doesn't recognize it??

PS shaved sides, ponytail, clean shaven

For Auto Oils, make sure you have it turned on under DLC Options(I think, there is an extra option for it somewhere) in game too, this took me a bit to figure out

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The worst part of Lord of Undvik is that you need to do it to finish the Master Armourers quest, unless you want to take a ridiculously long route around the western side of the island and sequence break your way up a mountainside.

This is exactly what I did. I was doing the armorer quest, had the minimum possible dialogue with Yennefer to be able to move around Skellige freely, then beelined into the mountains. Partway up Geralt starts saying "Hmm, giant tracks... Wonder if Hjalmar is here" and I'm like "who the gently caress is Hjalmar?"

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

March of the Pigs posted:

For Auto Oils, make sure you have it turned on under DLC Options(I think, there is an extra option for it somewhere) in game too, this took me a bit to figure out

I checked DLC options and regular options and no dice on either front. it's ok though, with the oil upgrades it's a lot less of a pain to remember to apply.

I'm really glad I left Blood and Wine for last, it's possibly my favorite content in the whole game and so polished. I would buy DLC just to put the non-Skellige Gwent cards on the minimap, lol

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

thumper57 posted:

This is exactly what I did. I was doing the armorer quest, had the minimum possible dialogue with Yennefer to be able to move around Skellige freely, then beelined into the mountains. Partway up Geralt starts saying "Hmm, giant tracks... Wonder if Hjalmar is here" and I'm like "who the gently caress is Hjalmar?"

Yeah same. My guess is the travel guides you can buy that give you fast travel points on the various islands were a relatively late addition, while Lords of Undvik was based off the idea that few players would wander over to the island without the prompting of the main plot.

Still a sign of a lazy/inexperienced designer to plonk down a quest advancement trigger without setting suitable dependencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Maugrim posted:

Still a sign of a lazy/inexperienced designer to plonk down a quest advancement trigger without setting suitable dependencies.

They crunched, iow bioware magicked. The release state wasn't perfect but nothing lazy or inexperienced about it. The poo poo that's left unpatched just never was prioritized (those drat frozen whale breaches... My immersion...)