Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Swimming around a frozen whale was weirdly creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Splorange posted:

They crunched, iow bioware magicked. The release state wasn't perfect but nothing lazy or inexperienced about it. The poo poo that's left unpatched just never was prioritized (those drat frozen whale breaches... My immersion...)

Yeah fair enough, even a seasoned designer might forget to set the dependencies when placing a trigger, and then not have time to test fully due to crunch. I shouldn't assume.

Surprised it wasn't patched though, given how many players must rush the master smith quest before doing Skellige "properly"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least one of the bug fix mods makes the whales work properly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just got the game on switch. Are there any obvious newbie traps i should steer clear of (like useless skill point sinks or w/e)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tunicate posted:

Just got the game on switch. Are there any obvious newbie traps i should steer clear of (like useless skill point sinks or w/e)

The OP is still up to date with advice and such.

Standard new person advice

Do ALL of the starter zone, and then pump the brakes on completionism. The starter zone teaches you what all the ? point of interests can be, in the wider game they are leveled rewards to geralt so it pays to save them for a rainy day.

The quickstep dodge is your friend, learn it well. The roll is for big monster attacks or creating distance.

The game is the hardest early on as you learn the combat and don't have as many toys yet. It's get significantly easier around lvl 13 when you get your first Witcher Armor. Don't get discouraged if drowners own you, you will be the hang of it.

The story is obviously the biggest draw. The side quests are mostly good to great, and all have either some dialogue or a neat bit of environmental storytelling. It's a long game, so take your time.

Most of all, keep posting here because we are all weirdos who love chatting about people's reactions to the game and arguing about triss and yen until we are taken by the white frost

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 25, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tunicate posted:

The last perk in the quick attack tree is really bad, it'll actually decrease your damage output because it blocks normal sources of bleeding. Armor piercing in general seems good but isn't. Other than that go ham.

It is possible to reset your skill investments too, so if you decide you hate something it isn't permanent.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If you're not yet on Team Yen, it's only a when.
If Team Triss you be, gently caress off, she sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triss is obviously superior in every way. You will soon understand.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I've played the game 4 times. I've never romanced Triss. I've done a loner no-romance run though, which was ok.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

I've played the game 4 times. I've never romanced Triss. I've done a loner no-romance run though, which was ok.

Should do it once if you are doing multiple playthroughs. Even though it's wrong. It is well done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

When the op talks about witcher equipment what does that mean? I have things like the viper silver sword or warrior's leather jacket, which are witcher equipment according to the item info, but they don't really seem that good.

Oh, and how do i use the crossbow on switch? I just got handed one in the griffin quest with no explanation

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tunicate posted:

When the op talks about witcher equipment what does that mean? I have things like the viper silver sword or warrior's leather jacket, which are witcher equipment according to the item info, but they don't really seem that good.

Oh, and how do i use the crossbow on switch? I just got handed one in the griffin quest with no explanation

No idea on the crossbow, never played on switch.

Witcher gear is indeed like those. They are armor and weapon sets that you craft after hunting down the diagrams, just like the swords in the starting area. You'll find them via maps bought from merchants. They tend to be the best gear in the game, but do not let that stop you from just wearing what looks cool. Just like dark souls, fashion is king.

I do not know what DLCs and stuff are inherent in the switch version, but each area has a buyable set of armor that is real cool. Like in white orchard you can buy the Temerian Armor, in Velen Nilfgaardian, and in Skelligr the Undvik set.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Should do it once if you are doing multiple playthroughs. Even though it's wrong. It is well done.

But the rose of remembrance is wilted :colbert:

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

But the rose of remembrance is wilted :colbert:

gently caress destiny.. :colbert:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't remember Destiny being a romance option, is she in the brothel? Even so, Yen is the objectively correct choice.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tunicate posted:

Someone tell him how to make some easy starter cash in White Orchard to get things rolling.

Edit: Never mind, I found it.

quote:

Here's a little tip I'd like to give everyone new to the game:

Early on you will feel strapped for cash.

Luckily, there's an easy fix. In the first village, White Orchard, there's a pen of cows to the left of the town entry. You can kill the cows, loot their hides, meditate for an hour and they will respawn. Repeat a couple of times and then sell the hides for some start-up money.

They are, quite literally, cash cows. MooooOOOOoooo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Okay, the crossbow needs to be equipped using the L button, then is fired with the R button. Would have been nice if they had explained that, considering how many other tutorial popups there are.

Also the crossbow is like 50 times stronger when underwater for no apparent reason. I'm killing drowners twice my level in two hits, but out of water even weak ones take a dozen.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Okay, the crossbow needs to be equipped using the L button, then is fired with the R button. Would have been nice if they had explained that, considering how many other tutorial popups there are.

Also the crossbow is like 50 times stronger when underwater for no apparent reason. I'm killing drowners twice my level in two hits, but out of water even weak ones take a dozen.

yep, thats how it works. don't think too hard about it. you can do a gimmick crossbow build late in the game with the right skills and talents.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tunicate posted:

It's also very strong if you happen to be sitting in a boat

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I have never managed to hit anything from the boat. Also I tend to sail too fast to stay in engagements long enough.

With the 3 ranks 1st tier crossbow skill, slowing down time when you reload and aim, jumping in the drink is pretty safe though.

Maybe I should look for a fun crossbow build though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know that if you just tap the crossbow button you hipfire it with auto aim, right?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know that if you just tap the crossbow button you hipfire it with auto aim, right?

:vince:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

It just seems to fire at the center of the screen, without any sight to direct towards an enemy. How close do enemies have to be for auto aim to work?

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Servetus posted:

It just seems to fire at the center of the screen, without any sight to direct towards an enemy. How close do enemies have to be for auto aim to work?

I've always gotten it to autoaim if the creatures are at least in the camera shot. Makes harpies and sirens go down without much fuss at all.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah if you can see health bars the crossbow will auto-aim at them

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Servetus posted:

Did you miss in the tutorial where you can lock onto enemies?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Btw I finished Blood and Wine today and wish to thank the internet/this thread for telling me not to do it until after I finished the main game main quest, because it was indeed an awesome coda. Now I'm sad that I'm out of Witcher 3. I could like...go do the question marks in Skellige if I'm desperate I guess

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh yeah, the crossbow is only good for grounding flying enemies and fighting while underwater/on a boat. I think I remember seeing a gimmick crossbow build, but it's really not worth investing in, or honestly even really thinking about if you're not in one of the above situations

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
(whoops, posting in the wrong thread)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

Did you miss in the tutorial where you can lock onto enemies?

Can do it, usually find it more trouble than it's worth.

Edit: I mean it most multiple enemy fights being that focused on a single opponent seems to impact my crowd control and movement too much, and I wind up taking more damage. So I haven't been using lock-on.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 26, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

404notfound posted:

Oh yeah, the crossbow is only good for grounding flying enemies and fighting while underwater/on a boat. I think I remember seeing a gimmick crossbow build, but it's really not worth investing in, or honestly even really thinking about if you're not in one of the above situations

That was a weird design decision to nerf the crossbow IMO. Having the thing actually work BETTER underwater also makes no loving sense and is counter intuitive. I guess they were trying to brick wall players from going for the invisible sniper archer build that Elder Scrolls players choose a lot that breaks those games but I think they could have figured out a different way to go about that. Make it so the bow only really does damage depending on what body part you hit or something.

I like ranged attack archer builds and went for it early in W3 before figuring out that my crossbow sucked and would always suck. But this was after I wasted skill points on it and poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

Btw I finished Blood and Wine today and wish to thank the internet/this thread for telling me not to do it until after I finished the main game main quest, because it was indeed an awesome coda. Now I'm sad that I'm out of Witcher 3. I could like...go do the question marks in Skellige if I'm desperate I guess

blood and wine is even better if you read the books. geralt spends the first half of the last book hanging out in toussaint with regis & friends trying really hard to convince himself he cant just settle down there yet because he has to rescue ciri, so him fibally getting to just live there and reuniting with regis is very satisfying

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is the 'chance to dismember' from the griffin trophy purely a visual thing?

I am seeing some people saying it is, and others saying it is a chance to instantkill humans.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Mike the TV posted:

I was actually considering doing a loner run. I have yet to see more of Geralt and Yennefer banter and how much I like it will probably be a deciding factor but assuming I won't replay the game, is a no-romance run a legit good option or is it not as interesting as romance ones?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

People will disagree with me but I would say that as Yennefer is the canon book romance for Geralt if you’re only going to play once, go with Yennefer.
Make sure that when you are in a garden in Skellige with her that you take every opportunity to talk with her to get some great banter and puns. Also be kind with her to melt her harsher exterior. She’s pissed at you for a reason and the situation needs deescalating.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

macabresca posted:

I was actually considering doing a loner run. I have yet to see more of Geralt and Yennefer banter and how much I like it will probably be a deciding factor but assuming I won't replay the game, is a no-romance run a legit good option or is it not as interesting as romance ones?

The only change is your guest at Corvo Bianco.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

macabresca posted:

Imo the best way to achieve that outcome is to romance both and see what happens :laugh:.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Palpek posted:

Imo the best way to achieve that outcome is to romance both and see what happens :laugh:.

This is absolutely my plan for my next (fourth) playthrough. Which I'm putting off until the presumed next-gen upgrade, which who knows when that will happen at this point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Palpek posted:

I know a kid at work who actually did this, He was all mad and poo poo. I'm like what the gently caress did you think was gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Triss >>> Roach >>>>>>> Yennefer