Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Control's gameplay kinda reminds me a little of Mass Effect 2, and it's fun when you have it figured out. It's not really fun enough to do the random non-story incursions though, which is a problem because it seems like the game has a lot of those.

I stopped playing for a while, which can be a problem with a lot of games where you need to figure out a certain groove, and then when I got back to it, there was a big fight I wasn't expecting in the next area, and I kept dying and I don't really know if I need to try playing the less interesting sidequests or maybe my build is bad and I should try to do something about that or whatever. And now I've gotten caught up in other games so it'll be longer before I get back to take Control.

Medieval Medic posted:

Any recommendations for good detective games?

Obra Dinn was bar none the best detective game I have played and left me with an itch.
Disco Elysium was kind of detectivey too, which I enjoyed quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBOv1Ce6olA

There's also Puzzle Agent. Witcher 3 has a fair amount of detective-ing sidequests that you might find interesting, but not a whole lot of branching. Maybe Westerado?

LA Noire has a lot of issues, but it's a pretty unique take on a detective story where the player has to solve a mystery but also do a lot of shooting people dead.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

Obra Dinn was bar none the best detective game I have played and left me with an itch.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Or gimme another not cyberpunk open world rpg.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance
The Witcher 3
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Hwurmp posted:

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

This is one of the best adventure games ever made. It has a laser-like focus on exactly what makes Holmes such a fun character, and the things that make the classic stories work.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What's a game I can play online with my dad and sister? Dad says he doesn't want to play a "farming game" like Terraria and doesn't want to shoot people in an FPS. It would need to be online multiplayer and have crossplay between Mac and PC. I've played a lot of Terraria with my mom and sister and it was a really nice way to hang out since we live in different cities.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chamale posted:

What's a game I can play online with my dad and sister? Dad says he doesn't want to play a "farming game" like Terraria and doesn't want to shoot people in an FPS. It would need to be online multiplayer and have crossplay between Mac and PC. I've played a lot of Terraria with my mom and sister and it was a really nice way to hang out since we live in different cities.

A whole lot of MMOs qualify but I don't know that I'd really recommend any. :v:

Civilization, maybe? Particularly co-op vs. AI.

Tabletop Simulator has PC/Mac crossplay and would basically let you do board game night on a computer if that's something you'd all enjoy.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Medieval Medic posted:

Phoenix wright games were also great, the earlier entries better than the later, but still I played 1 through 6.

Hypnospace Outlaw and A Hand With Many Fingers both have a similar vibe of piecing things together yourself. AHWMF is only like an hour long. The Darkside Detective games are more traditional point and click games.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Chamale posted:

OpenTTD
a poker game like https://www.pokernow.club/
some multiplayer golf game or other sport game (I don't play 'em so I don't know)

Would he be OK driving a vehicle in a shooter game, if so maybe Arma 3.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Chamale posted:

There's For the King, which is a beast of digital board game / RPG that fits exactly three players. It's mechanics heavy but I'm getting the vibe you're all gamers.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Chamale posted:

Ticket to Ride or Lords of Waterdeep. Both are available on Mac and PC.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I haven't played new PC games in a long time. Like, really long. There seems to be a new wave of CRPGs and Baldur's Gate + Throne of Baal was one of my favourites way back in the day, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options for new games. I'd love to get some kind of ranking of these new-wave CRPRGs, as in, from most to least essential:

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
Dragon Age series
Tides of Numenera
Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Tyranny
Solasta: crown of the magister
Wasteland 2 remake??
Wasteland 3

Also, feel free to add in a game that you think ought to be in the list that I haven't mentioned. I know about The Witcher and Disco Elysium. Don't like the new Fallouts and generally not super keen on the 3D open-world style games. If you want to write more than just giving a ranking I'd love that, but I'd be happy just to get some guidance like "this game rules, this one kinda sucks".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

nemesis_hub posted:

I haven't played new PC games in a long time. Like, really long. There seems to be a new wave of CRPGs and Baldur's Gate + Throne of Baal was one of my favourites way back in the day, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options for new games. I'd love to get some kind of ranking of these new-wave CRPRGs, as in, from most to least essential:

Dragon Age series
Tides of Numenera
Tyranny
Wasteland 2 remake??
Wasteland 3

Also, feel free to add in a game that you think ought to be in the list that I haven't mentioned. I know about The Witcher and Disco Elysium. Don't like the new Fallouts and generally not super keen on the 3D open-world style games. If you want to write more than just giving a ranking I'd love that, but I'd be happy just to get some guidance like "this game rules, this one kinda sucks".

Personal rankings from best / most interesting to worst / least remarkable:
Pillars of Eternity 2 - a true GOAT, if you like a serious story that takes the DnD formula into an early modern era of colonialism and tries to focus on the politics of the setting
Underrail - one of my personal favorites, a spiritual successor of the 2D Fallouts, if that's something you are interested in. But very difficult and expects you to study up on character builds.
Divinity Original Sin 2 - solely for the combat mechanics, the story takes a back seat
Age of Decadence - also not mentioned in your list, but it's an interesting indie game set in a post-apocalyptic medieval-like world with a rich, very branching story
Witcher 1 - the only Witcher game I'd consider a CRPG rather than an ARPG, very story heavy, very good despite what people who usually haven't played it like to claim. The sequels are equally good or better, but a different genre, really.
Pillars of Eternity 1 - some consider it to have a too generic setting and to be too frontloaded with lore dumps, also mechanically it's rougher around the edges than the sequel
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - beware, it expects you to have an encyclopedic knowledge of Pathfinder rules
Tyranny - good concept and ideas, kinda basic execution. Pretty much everything about the game sounds great on paper, but ends up being half-baked in practice. But it's short, so it's worth trying for one playthrough.
Wasteland 3 - a huge improvement over Wasteland 2, it's a fairly decent tactical RPG, though it does run out of steam eventually, in my experience.
Divinity: Original Sin 1: Similar to PoE, the sequel is better than the original in about every possible way. In this case you won' even miss on the story by skipping this one, there's no continuity to speak of.
Dragon Age Origins - It was the first in a new wave of CRPGs trying to at least sort of faithfully interpret the classics, but it hasn't aged too well, I'm afraid. The sequels veered decidedly towards ARPG, and each successive entry got much worse than the previous one.
Wasteland 2 - Extremely cheap production, very basic mechanics. The only reason you might want to try this is for the story and writing, but those didn't grab me either, it's very jokey, but mostly in a juvenile way that gets grating quickly.
Tides of Numenera - they tried to position themselves as the new Torment, what we actually got was word salad wrapped in ugly aesthetics and boring mechanics. The only game on the list I'd call unambiguously trash.

You mentioned Disco Elysium, it's great, but it's an adventure game / visual novel where the lines of dialogue and various options you get are influenced by points you distribute among your personality attributes, so completely different from all the other games here. If it sounds like something you might like, definitely go for it.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 27, 2021

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Nioh 2 or Sekiro if I'm looking for more DS? Weapon variety is important.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Fat Samurai posted:

Nioh 2 absolutely.

Sekiro is super polished, fluid and fast paced but its an action game, not a RPG so you only have a katana and ninjutsu tools.

Nioh 2 is definitely more Souls.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fat Samurai posted:

Not the same tone by any stretch, but the long-running Monster Hunter series has superb combat along similar lines as Dark Souls, with 14 weapons that behave very differently from each other (even if they appear visually similar; Gunlance and Lance have very little in common beyond their appearance; ditto Hammer and Hunting Horn). If your favorite parts of DS are boss fights and/or sunbroing, and you'd enjoy (or wouldn't mind) a more whimsical tone than DS, then the Monster Hunter games will be right up your alley.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fat Samurai posted:

Sekiro only has one primary weapon and the entire game is balanced around it. You get ninja tools too, and there's a lot of variety there, but they're more like spells in Dark Souls than like weapons.

It's also a weird cousin to Souls games where it's clearly built on the same chassis but they've shuffled almost everything around, mechanically and narratively. Parries and dodges/rolls have switched place in importance, the RPG mechanics are streamlined, the story is about the same broad themes but you're a relatively fleshed-out character instead of a player-defined silent protagonist, etc.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Personal rankings from best / most interesting to worst / least remarkable:
Pillars of Eternity 2 - a true GOAT, if you like a serious story that takes the DnD formula into an early modern era of colonialism and tries to focus on the politics of the setting
Underrail - one of my personal favorites, a spiritual successor of the 2D Fallouts, if that's something you are interested in. But very difficult and expects you to study up on character builds.
Divinity Original Sin 2 - solely for the combat mechanics, the story takes a back seat
Age of Decadence - also not mentioned in your list, but it's an interesting indie game set in a post-apocalyptic medieval-like world with a rich, very branching story
Witcher 1 - the only Witcher game I'd consider a CRPG rather than an ARPG, very story heavy, very good despite what people who usually haven't played it like to claim. The sequels are equally good or better, but a different genre, really.
Pillars of Eternity 1 - some consider it to have a too generic setting and to be too frontloaded with lore dumps, also mechanically it's rougher around the edges than the sequel
Pathfinder: Kingmaker - beware, it expects you to have an encyclopedic knowledge of Pathfinder rules
Tyranny - good concept and ideas, kinda basic execution. Pretty much everything about the game sounds great on paper, but ends up being half-baked in practice. But it's short, so it's worth trying for one playthrough.
Wasteland 3 - a huge improvement over Wasteland 2, it's a fairly decent tactical RPG, though it does run out of steam eventually, in my experience.
Divinity: Original Sin 1: Similar to PoE, the sequel is better than the original in about every possible way. In this case you won' even miss on the story by skipping this one, there's no continuity to speak of.
Dragon Age Origins - It was the first in a new wave of CRPGs trying to at least sort of faithfully interpret the classics, but it hasn't aged too well, I'm afraid. The sequels veered decidedly towards ARPG, and each successive entry got much worse than the previous one.
Wasteland 2 - Extremely cheap production, very basic mechanics. The only reason you might want to try this is for the story and writing, but those didn't grab me either, it's very jokey, but mostly in a juvenile way that gets grating quickly.
Tides of Numenera - they tried to position themselves as the new Torment, what we actually got was word salad wrapped in ugly aesthetics and boring mechanics. The only game on the list I'd call unambiguously trash.

You mentioned Disco Elysium, it's great, but it's an adventure game / visual novel where the lines of dialogue and various options you get are influenced by points you distribute among your personality attributes, so completely different from all the other games here. If it sounds like something you might like, definitely go for it.

Thank you for this extremely helpful write-up. I think I’ll start with POE2, Underrail, and Witcher 1. That’s super disappointing to hear about Numenera.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Just a heads-up that this game was made by gamergate chuds for those who are bothered by such things.

Shine posted:

Not the same tone by any stretch, but the long-running Monster Hunter series has superb combat along similar lines as Dark Souls, with 14 weapons that behave very differently from each other (even if they appear visually similar; Gunlance and Lance have very little in common beyond their appearance; ditto Hammer and Hunting Horn). If your favorite parts of DS are boss fights and/or sunbroing, and you'd enjoy (or wouldn't mind) a more whimsical tone than DS, then the Monster Hunter games will be right up your alley.

Caveat that while there's a decent overlap between monster hunter and souls fans, there is absolutely no guarantee that you'll fall in there. I love Souls and I loathe the feel of Monster Hunter's combat.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 27, 2021

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

nemesis_hub posted:

I'd love to get some kind of ranking of these new-wave CRPRGs, as in, from most to least essential:

quote:

Great graphics and fun combat, if you're into turn-based mechanics. The main plots for both games are OK. The side quests are more interesting. The games don't hold your hand, and you can easily screw up a quest if you, say, sell the quest item, can't find the small pressing on the wall for the secret door, or encounter a bug. Good online guides can be a bit difficult to find because the game has gone through a bunch of changes.

quote:

Be prepared to read pillars of texts for a subpar story. Combat is real-time with pause, like in Baldurs Gate, and you can't make your own party, iirc. Graphics are good.

quote:

Dragon Age series
A good action RPG if you don't mind occasional jankiness for being a console port.

quote:

Tides of Numenera
Complete trash. Just skip it.

quote:

Very good. You don't need "encyclopedia knowledge," as another poster said, of Pathfinder rules to play the game. I and many people jumped into the system cold and learned how it worked and still best it. The game is meant to be replayed multiple times. There are plenty of resources online to help if you get stuck.

The game is real-time with pause but can also be played in turn-based mode, through mods or a base setting; I can't remember. Speaking of mods, there's a ton available on Nexus.

quote:

Tyranny
Kind of like Pillars of Eternity in pretty much everything, but you play a villain. A lot of potential, but the game falls flat.

quote:

An intriguing game if you're into DND 5E, and a worthy competitor to Divinity: Original Sin 3... *ahem*... Baldurs Gate 3. Solasta is still in early access, and the game still has a way to go. Buy at your own risk.

quote:

Wasteland 2 remake??
Wasteland 3
Fun turn-based, post-apocalyptic CRPG if that's your thing. You have full party creation and the plot is interesting.

quote:

Underrail
I endorse another poster's suggestion for this. Great spiritual successor to Fallout 1/2, with a great story and endless fun.

quote:

Icewind Dale 1/2
You mentioned playing Baldur's Gate, but have you tried Icewind Dale? It's more focused on combat instead of story but looks and feels like Baldur's Gate.

quote:

Planescape: Torment
One of the best story-driven RPGS out there. Be ready to read... a lot. But the story is worth the ride.

Other games worth playing. Some are classic RPGS, others aren't:

1. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
2. Might and Magic 6-8
3. Wizardry 8
4. Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
5. Fallout 1/2 (if you never played them)
6. Fallout: New Vegas
7. Thief 1/2
8. Deus Ex
9. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
10. Arcanum
11. Gothic series
12. Witcher 3

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

I mostly agree with what's been posted, just want to emphasize that I really liked Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and I have never played Pathfinder or in fact any tabletop DnD, just Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. So long as you play on Normal or Easy, I think it's perfectly playable. Make sure you get the Bag of Tricks mod--let's you tweak and edit anything you might find to be inconvenient.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

Thank you for this extremely helpful write-up. I think I’ll start with POE2, Underrail, and Witcher 1. That’s super disappointing to hear about Numenera.

I agree with that list for the most part apart from a few changes and one addition:

Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall: Short, well executed crpgs with some fun writing and tactical combat. There isn’t a tremendous amount of depth to them but they don’t overstay their welcome either. Their precursor, Shadowrun Returns is kind of a trial run, I would only recommend it if you want more after playing the others.

I would rank Tyranny higher on the list. The things it does well (reactivity, multiple plots, communicating lore in an interesting way), it does really well. The budget clearly ran low though, so the final act is tiny and there isn’t much enemy variety. We’re probably going to see some of Tyranny’s innovations popping up in other crpgs in the future.

Same with Numenera. I thought the writing was decent to good, but it is extremely text-heavy, moreso even than the original Torment. So don’t go into it expecting anything approaching a Baldur’s Gate style game. The game experiments with peaceful combat mechanics. Sometimes it works and is super cool, other times it kinda sucks.

I really like Witcher 1 but it has aged almost as badly as Dragon Age: Origins (which I also think is great even if the graphics are cruddy) Prepare to run back and forth between old locations again and again and again.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall: Short, well executed crpgs with some fun writing and tactical combat.

Shadowrun Trilogy is currently free on GOG.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Or gimme another not cyberpunk open world rpg.

Maneater

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fruits of the sea posted:

Shadowrun Hong Kong and Shadowrun Dragonfall: Short, well executed crpgs with some fun writing and tactical combat. There isn’t a tremendous amount of depth to them but they don’t overstay their welcome either. Their precursor, Shadowrun Returns is kind of a trial run, I would only recommend it if you want more after playing the others.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Shadowrun. Definitely worth a try, SR Returns is indeed just mediocre, but don't let it discourage you, Dragonfall and Hong Kong are great.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Osmosisch posted:

Just a heads-up that this game was made by gamergate chuds for those who are bothered by such things.

One prominent person of the dev team was an idiot chud, but the game itself is fine. Well actually the game is not fine, it's eurojank, and a gross experience of dipping yourself into the awful filth of human existence in 1444 eastern Europe. But if anyone is up for that, I'd recommend Kingdom Come.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

StoryTime posted:

One prominent person of the dev team was an idiot chud, but the game itself is fine. Well actually the game is not fine, it's eurojank, and a gross experience of dipping yourself into the awful filth of human existence in 1444 eastern Europe. But if anyone is up for that, I'd recommend Kingdom Come.

Agreed. Don't let one problematic person stop you from experiencing the prestigious Polish jank.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Chamale posted:

Sea of Thieves has PvP in it but it's not an FPS and the majority of the gameplay loop is collecting loot via solving puzzles and reading maps and stuff. There are also some story quests where you're instanced and other players can't mess with you. BUT the vast majority of the encounters with other players will be unpleasant, so there's that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You can fly an alliance flag and try to be friendly but people will be dicks regardless. But watching for foreign sails to gtfo before they can approach adds some interesting tension to the game.

You can also try Diablo/Path of Exile. Diablo 3 is really shallow and has almost nothing to do unless you like chasing leaderboard scores. PoE has WAY too much to do and will take a lot of reading to learn all the different systems and set up a workable build, and honestly the multiplayer in it is kind of poo poo because they haven't worked out equal sharing of resources (loot competition is encouraged, only the map owner can advance their quest, etc.). But if either of those seem to work, maybe an offline ARPG like torchlight would work too.

Is it just other players they don't want to shoot, or is it all shooting? Deep Rock Galactic has great co-op.

Monster Hunter World... unless "farming games" are all grinds in which case nope :v:. It's also pretty challenging to get into for casual players, probably.

Raft is kind of a "farming game" but it does all the farming for you by sweeping crap up off the ocean, so it's more about strategic building, although the food/water grind is pretty poo poo in the beginning. You could build a huge houseboat and go explore islands. The story is unfinished yet though, but what's there is pretty good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the advice. Nioh it is.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Medieval Medic posted:

Phoenix wright games were also great, the earlier entries better than the later, but still I played 1 through 6.

Paradise Killer

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Chamale posted:

Starcraft 2, Portal 2 maybe?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If I liked RE7 and RE8, how is Metro Exodus? I was looking for a fps game with exploration and overall cool atmosphere.

It seems pretty nice looking but how janky is it on PS4?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks everyone for the CRPG recommendations, I now have a sense of how to attack this huge backlog of games that are new to me. I have another question: Wolfenstein. Which of the post Wolfenstein 3D games are worth playing today? W3D had this unique mood where it managed to feel genuinely grim and menacing at times and simultaneously absurd and comic booky. I’d be most interested in games that do something similar rather than just “generic ww2 shooter with zombies”.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

nemesis_hub posted:

Thanks everyone for the CRPG recommendations, I now have a sense of how to attack this huge backlog of games that are new to me. I have another question: Wolfenstein. Which of the post Wolfenstein 3D games are worth playing today? W3D had this unique mood where it managed to feel genuinely grim and menacing at times and simultaneously absurd and comic booky. I’d be most interested in games that do something similar rather than just “generic ww2 shooter with zombies”.

I haven't actually played them but my husband loved all the newest Wolfenstein games and the things he described to me sounded absolutely ridiculous, lol. It sounded very deliberately over the top, in a good way.

We played a bit of Youngblood together, since it's the co-op one, and it was "okay" but kind of shallow and repetitive (daily quest grinds in an FPS? okay...). The main games have much better campaigns.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Paradise Killer

Seconding this. I was pleasantly surprised at this deeply weird, aesthetically odd visual novel. Do not expect much from the non-detective gameplay, even though it looks a bit like a first-person platformer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Tagra posted:

Is there a decent successor to Tiger Woods golf on PC? I have "The Golf Club" but the controls are kind of wonky and it doesn't really have the same career progression modes that Tiger did back in the day, so I ended up uninstalling it. I want to play golf, raise stats, and buy stupid clothes and new clubs for my dumb avatar so I can git gud enough to beat the next opponent. I don't want to sim golf. I can go suck at golf IRL, dammit. I play Tiger Woods to win championships and buy dumb shoes.

BUT if there is a decent VR golf sim I'm interested in that, too. It sounds like "The Golf Club VR" is not great on the Valve Index... and might also be the only option so far. I guess it's only 10 bucks to find out for myself, though, but let me know if you've heard anything.

PGA 2k21 is actually the sequel to The Golf Club (or The Golf Club 2, maybe, can't remember). I know it does have some limited character customization but not sure if it has everything you're talking about here, I usually just do quickplay and try to get a low score on a certain course. It's good though

Medieval Medic posted:

I recently picked up a game called Unheard in which you can magically listen to things people are saying in a set area, you gotta follow characters around to listen to them, then check out the other characters and eventually put all the pieces together. Seems pretty decent and actually reasonably hard, I got both questions wrong on the first level after the tutorial and I'm still not sure what the answer is.

WaltherFeng posted:

If I liked RE7 and RE8, how is Metro Exodus? I was looking for a fps game with exploration and overall cool atmosphere.

It seems pretty nice looking but how janky is it on PS4?

I don't know about any jankiness, although I don't think it has a reputation for such, but it is indeed a good game with a slight amount of exploration stuff going on. There are semi-open levels where you have several different things to do, but it's not true open world. Most of the exploration is along pre-defined avenues. Still, it's a good game

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
What are your favorite challenging arcade/retro styled action games?

I recently played Star Fox 64, followed it with Star Fox Assault and then Sin and Punishment and had a blast with these on rails shooters but I figure I could move on to some other genres as long as they are arcadey/retro.

What I really like about Star Fox and Sin and Punishment is that they have these simple mechanics that are satisfying and fun, and then they get pushed to the limits as the games get more challenging and throw more things at you. A lack of repetition is important to me, I think in Star Fox 64 each mission has it's own enemy types, and Sin and Punishment has new bosses coming at you every 5 minutes, as well as levels that are super distinct from each
other.

When I play open world RPGish games I spend like 4 hours and just end up wanting more, feeling like I didn't get enough constantly, but an hour of Star Fox 64 would leave me feeling satisfied and properly challenged. I've been busy lately, so these games I have been playing recently have really worked out for my schedule.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Look into scrolling shmups, maybe? Jonestown is a good intro to the bullet hell genre, R-Type Final 2 is a good option for "classic" scrolling shmups.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Look into scrolling shmups, maybe? Jonestown is a good intro to the bullet hell genre, R-Type Final 2 is a good option for "classic" scrolling shmups.

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart and Project Starship X are fantastic recent examples of shmups if you do decide to go with them.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Any modern games with short, breezy play sessions like Weird Adventures in Infinite Space or Desktop Dungeons? And are sequels to Infinite Space any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Play posted:

PGA 2k21 is actually the sequel to The Golf Club (or The Golf Club 2, maybe, can't remember). I know it does have some limited character customization but not sure if it has everything you're talking about here, I usually just do quickplay and try to get a low score on a certain course. It's good though

I recently picked up a game called Unheard in which you can magically listen to things people are saying in a set area, you gotta follow characters around to listen to them, then check out the other characters and eventually put all the pieces together. Seems pretty decent and actually reasonably hard, I got both questions wrong on the first level after the tutorial and I'm still not sure what the answer is.

I don't know about any jankiness, although I don't think it has a reputation for such, but it is indeed a good game with a slight amount of exploration stuff going on. There are semi-open levels where you have several different things to do, but it's not true open world. Most of the exploration is along pre-defined avenues. Still, it's a good game

Thanks this is what I had in mind. I definitely want to give it a try.