Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Depends on where you play, really. A roll-up board is fine for tournaments, but I mostly do my OTB play in a cafe on small round tables, and a solid wooden board that carries well is nice for that.

For clocks, I have a DGT North American, which works fine. Kind of looks like a toy, though. If you're interested in tournament play, check out what the time settings are for tournaments in your area and make sure your clock can handle those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
thanks for the suggestions and the link. definitely better than the stuff i was finding randomly searching on my own

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Seconding the Chronos clock - pricey but I love mine and I foresee it outlasting me.

For the chess set - roll-up with plastic pieces, with a bag to hold them and your clock, is a great option. However - look for heavy pieces, they are always nicer to play with. For reference, the piece set linked by INTJ Mastermind weighs 1lb (as per the specs on the site) but my set of solid plastic pieces weighs in at 2.5lbs with roughly the same dimensions!!

I'm no expert on where to buy though, I just bought a bag/pieces/board combo that I found at Winners for $20 CAD and got lucky with the nice pieces.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
cross posting from the piano thread... this guy impresses me! 2200 on lichess, and he plays piano during the games

https://twitch.tv/videogamepianist

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://lichess.org/@/phdhamster/perf/rapid

Cracked 1300 today on lichess. Still well below average but it's been a steady climb since I started out at ~1000 a couple months ago.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

dhamster posted:

Cracked 1300 today on lichess. Still well below average but it's been a steady climb since I started out at ~1000 a couple months ago.

Nice work! It's always nice to cross one of those barriers

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Tried to improve my bullet rating this morning and angered this fellow who timed out against me

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/522886141641228298/862701108039647242/Screenshot_20210708-072201.png

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

dhamster posted:

Tried to improve my bullet rating this morning and angered this fellow who timed out against me

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/522886141641228298/862701108039647242/Screenshot_20210708-072201.png

truly the only honorable way to win at bullet chess is to mate your opponent

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I bought Nimzowitsch's My System on a whim and... it's surprisingly readable! Like, my puny attention span gets tried by the drier chess videos on youtube (particularly match recaps), but this really strikes a nice balance for me between offering enough commentary to handhold an idiot like me and leave some space to necessitate independent thought.

Also caught myself starting to visualize some of the simpler/shorter lines off annotation alone, feels like Neo seeing the Matrix.

Though my native language edition is downright criminal, cutting out some of the old timey interwar jokes/metaphors. No fun allowed in chess.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

6 of my last 7 games have come down to end games and I lost every single one of them. I want to throw myself out a first floor window.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
end game, best game

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Helianthus Annuus posted:

losing a drawn rook and pawn endgame because of time pressure in blitz :allears:

what are you doing?

Blundering early in a three days per move game, so now I'm looking forward to at least of month of struggling knee deep in poo poo to try to get a draw.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I smelled blood seeing the f-pawn move the way it did, but I think Black would have had the upper hand if he had developed his knight before crashing his queen into my backline. I guess the Schliemann is not as vulnerable to this trick as the Damiano defense, but this move seems to cause some chaos for both sides. Just glad it worked and I didn't lose my queen or get mated in the process.

https://lichess.org/amFA2gBX/white

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 11, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I remember playing the Schliemann for a few months. Qe7 is a mistake for black: you win the pawn back with 5...Qd4, because after 6.Qh4+ g6 7.Nxg6 hxg6 your queen is defending the rook on h8.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Are people generally much better on lichess anonymous than ranked play? Are they using computer assist? I feel like I hold my own on ranked (floating around 1100) but get absolutely pounded on anon

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I've been mostly playing anonymously on lichess and it feels the average opponent is about the same as the general user, which is to say around 1500.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Its mostly average players with a few complete newbies and a few more club players in the mix IME

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The World Cup starts today, though all of the top players have first round byes. All games will be on chess24. And FIDE has Short and Miroshnichenko on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwi-caFPjRQ

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am cheering on the one guy with both faceshield and medical mask while most people around him are wearing no mask at all.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone tried out https://aimchess.com/ ? Its relatively cheap but I wonder if it gives any decent insights vs just going through a typical engine evaluation on your own.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Had a weird desync on lichess where I thought someone was timing me out on purpose, but at the end the game said I was the one who timed out. To be fair the connection was super spotty where I was at.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

me after winning: Well, that was a solid game by me. My plan of attack worked perfectly, I maintained pressure throughout the entire game, and my victory was inevitable.
evaluation: You were trailing by 9 pawns until your opponent gave you mate in 3. Here's the one move that would have destroyed your position at any time.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fisting by many posted:

me after winning: Well, that was a solid game by me. My plan of attack worked perfectly, I maintained pressure throughout the entire game, and my victory was inevitable.
evaluation: You were trailing by 9 pawns until your opponent gave you mate in 3. Here's the one move that would have destroyed your position at any time.

I loving love this poo poo.

I have played I think, maybe 1 good game of chess in my life.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think the only "good" games i've had involve an opponent making early mistakes with the opening and the good moves snowball from there. but it's easy to have 97% accuracy when your opponent is playing at 23% accuracy

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I'm not sure how it works on chess.com but on lichess it stops caring when the position becomes fully winning. I'll have games where it says I made 0 inaccuracies but if you run through the moves I missed mate in 1, etc.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I had a game like that today. I missed a few mates but it did not matter and the engine did not care after the point when mate was inevitable.

https://lichess.org/HVoQK07v/white

dhamster fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 14, 2021

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Tried and the reverse bongcloud and this happened. It's just that strong, people.

http://imgur.com/a/4t3RYtg

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dhamster posted:

Tried and the reverse bongcloud and this happened. It's just that strong, people.

http://imgur.com/a/4t3RYtg

even more fun imo is the borg defense, which i am going to yet again hype in this thread

check out this beautiful mate i just landed with it:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fart simpson posted:

even more fun imo is the borg defense, which i am going to yet again hype in this thread

check out this beautiful mate i just landed with it:

This looks like you were really relying on your opponent falling for it. If they didn't walk into the trap did you have any recourse after losing that much material?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chamale posted:

This looks like you were really relying on your opponent falling for it. If they didn't walk into the trap did you have any recourse after losing that much material?

no of course not, it was bullet chess. i had faith

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chamale posted:

ok heres a more serious answer

in this position, i find many people in bullet around my level totally miss that their queen is hit by the discovered attack. maybe 10-15% of them and then it's just an instant win as i pick up a free queen on move 3:

failing that, most people don't want to "waste" a move by bringing their queen all the way back to the starting square, so instead they usually leave it out in the center of the board somewhere. this allows me to play developing moves that attack their queen, and they often end up moving the queen around while i develop and then i get my compensation for the pawn. or even better, against anyone who plays the bishops opening it's almost always an easy win:

it's also fairly common i can bring my queen side knight out and end up getting their rook:

in this specific game once i could see he thought he was winning my knight by attacking it with the pawn as it was pinned, i knew in a bullet game he'd be focusing in on the details of actually winning it. at this point i was "only" down 1.1 points according to stockfish:

then at this point i saw the top engine move of attacking with my rook, but i was pretty low on time and didn't see much beyond just a general feeling that the rook move might be good. i also saw that if he actually took my knight he'd probably do it with the pawn and i'd be able to move my queen to d1 (this is why i put my bishop on g4, in anticipation of this). i could also see that the king still had an escape square and realized i might be able to sac my rook for the chance to cut off the king by placing my pawn on e3. the only thing i wasn't sure of was what if he took my bishop instead of my knight, then i'd be screwed. but i guessed that he was really focusing in on the knight and would more likely than not take the knight instead:

so that was my thought process. it was a calculated risk based on what i've seen in bullet chess before, and this time it paid off. more generally i find this opening forces my opponent out of their opening prep immediately and there are generally plenty of chances to harass their queen while developing on my own, and i've played it enough to know some little tricks that my opponent has likely never seen before

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

fart simpson posted:

ok heres a more serious answer

in this position, i find many people in bullet around my level totally miss that their queen is hit by the discovered attack. maybe 10-15% of them and then it's just an instant win as i pick up a free queen on move 3:

failing that, most people don't want to "waste" a move by bringing their queen all the way back to the starting square, so instead they usually leave it out in the center of the board somewhere. this allows me to play developing moves that attack their queen, and they often end up moving the queen around while i develop and then i get my compensation for the pawn. or even better, against anyone who plays the bishops opening it's almost always an easy win:

it's also fairly common i can bring my queen side knight out and end up getting their rook:

in this specific game once i could see he thought he was winning my knight by attacking it with the pawn as it was pinned, i knew in a bullet game he'd be focusing in on the details of actually winning it. at this point i was "only" down 1.1 points according to stockfish:

then at this point i saw the top engine move of attacking with my rook, but i was pretty low on time and didn't see much beyond just a general feeling that the rook move might be good. i also saw that if he actually took my knight he'd probably do it with the pawn and i'd be able to move my queen to d1 (this is why i put my bishop on g4, in anticipation of this). i could also see that the king still had an escape square and realized i might be able to sac my rook for the chance to cut off the king by placing my pawn on e3. the only thing i wasn't sure of was what if he took my bishop instead of my knight, then i'd be screwed. but i guessed that he was really focusing in on the knight and would more likely than not take the knight instead:

so that was my thought process. it was a calculated risk based on what i've seen in bullet chess before, and this time it paid off. more generally i find this opening forces my opponent out of their opening prep immediately and there are generally plenty of chances to harass their queen while developing on my own, and i've played it enough to know some little tricks that my opponent has likely never seen before

All opening tricks aside, if White captures your knight with his bishop, with check, instead of with the pawn opening up the file for mate, you are totally lost instead of won. It's definitely a situation of "playing the man and not the ball" although it looks like a fun way to play.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zwabu posted:

All opening tricks aside, if White captures your knight with his bishop, with check, instead of with the pawn opening up the file for mate, you are totally lost instead of won. It's definitely a situation of "playing the man and not the ball" although it looks like a fun way to play.

yes you’re right but i think a 1500 bullet player would take with the pawn 8 times out of 10

just switching to this opening in response to kings pawn opening boosted me from 1350 to over 1500 bullet on lichess. i changed nothing else and i had been stuck at 1350 for a while

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thanks for the av, somebody in this thread

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

Make that 1400! I've mostly been working on playing my openings more accurately.

http://imgur.com/a/5yl0umI

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fart simpson posted:

no of course not, it was bullet chess. i had faith

I didn't know it was Bullet, that makes sense. I play on 10 minute time controls.

Stockfish thinks I'm an idiot for not finding checkmate here. It's not an endgame I'm familiar with.

Bh7+ wins the pawn or gets checkmate with:

2. Kg7 Nd7
3. Kh8 Kf8
4. Kxh7 Kf7
5. Kh8 Nf8
6. h7 Ng6#

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Did Dubov win the game? Had to take a break and then forgot about it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chamale posted:

I didn't know it was Bullet, that makes sense. I play on 10 minute time controls.

Stockfish thinks I'm an idiot for not finding checkmate here. It's not an endgame I'm familiar with.

Bh7+ wins the pawn or gets checkmate with:

2. Kg7 Nd7
3. Kh8 Kf8
4. Kxh7 Kf7
5. Kh8 Nf8
6. h7 Ng6#

from my understanding bishop and knight checkmate is by far the hardest. my end game resource is silman's complete endgames and he doesn't even include that checkmate in his course, as he argues that most people are only likely to see it a few times at most over their entire chess career and that the study time it takes to get a consistent grasp on how to execute it is much better spent on other concepts unless you're investing a serious amount of time into chess because you're going to try to get a title or similar

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Learning N+B mate isn't that hard. Watch a youtube video to learn the W method and then practice it until it clicks. (https://blitztactics.com/positions)

I get Silman's point, it's not likely to ever matter, but it's a fun trick to know IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Just lost this endgame and I feel like I should just stop.

I've never felt so confident only to gently caress it to hell.

I know I've only come here to bitch about endgames but Silmans is not sticking.