Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I took a portal. Does that mean I’m gonna get kidnapped?

The mobs seem to have a really short aggro radius and there’s a ton of high level players with mounts and companions tearing poo poo up in the newbie area for some reason. So gameplay-wise it’s been bizarrely easy.

The story is kind of funny, an incompetent dunmer who was demoted sent the entire garrison off on a boating trip and then decided that me, a random dressed in rags who washed up on the beach is the one who will save the settlement :v:

Edit: also I chose a sarcastic dialogue option about missing my soul. It was kind of funny but then somebody else mentioned it unprompted. Is this actually a thing and the game forgot to mention it?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fruits of the sea posted:

The mobs seem to have a really short aggro radius and there’s a ton of high level players with mounts and companions tearing poo poo up in the newbie area for some reason. So gameplay-wise it’s been bizarrely easy.

The story is kind of funny, an incompetent dunmer who was demoted sent the entire garrison off on a boating trip and then decided that me, a random dressed in rags who washed up on the beach is the one who will save the settlement :v:

There's a "main quest" storyline which should start with "Shriven in Coldharbour" or something like that. I don't think it gives you the hook for it until you get to the first main city, which for you is probably Daggerfall.

I mention it because by the time I got to the main city on my current new character and got the intro for that quest, I had like 17 other quests in my log and wouldn't have noticed that one was any more important than all the other quest line starter hooks except for having a vague recollection from years ago.

(edit): I think the main quest explains the soul stuff, yeah

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 11, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fruits of the sea posted:

The main story has you kidnapped, go through a story intro, then back to the starter zone. The starter zone itself is the same, but I was a bit more invested with the context. You won't get randomly kidnapped, you have to initiate the quest. They really should have just had everyone get kidnapped right after the portal. You could go get yourself kidnapped now if you want, otherwise it'll take a bit to have it happen if you follow everything in order.

The high level players are probably there to farm materials, the starter zones are denser with materials. Or sometimes they're people who never did the zone, at least on that character. The whole world is player scaled, so everyone can go to every area at anytime.

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a "main quest" storyline which should start with "Shriven in Coldharbour" or something like that. I don't think it gives you the hook for it until you get to the first main city, which for you is probably Daggerfall.
EP is Davon's Watch. Daggerfall is for DC, who start in Stros M'Kai.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 11, 2021

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Regarding the Soul stuff yes, Shriven in Coldharbor explains it. (reading below spoils a neat dungeon if you care)

It comes up in other contexts occasionally - however far too rarely, sadly. My favorite is the public dungeon where the Big Bad possesses people's souls to control them, and of course since you don't have one, he can't do jack poo poo to you and he rages because he can't figure out how the gently caress you resist him.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the Auridon quest line where you pledge your soul to the insurrectionist cause

"My soul huh? Yes, uh I pledge it."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
To be fair, normal Skyrim is kind of like that too, where by the end of the game I've promised my eternal soul to so many different Daedra, they're going to have to have a battle royale or something to decide it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StarkRavingMad posted:

To be fair, normal Skyrim is kind of like that too, where by the end of the game I've promised my eternal soul to so many different Daedra, they're going to have to have a battle royale or something to decide it

"Uhh, sure, I'll give you a pair of 'em, I've absorbed loads."

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ESO is just Skyrim in MMO. Just like TOR and KOTOR.
And I'm not saying that as a bad thing at all.

If you like the wandering around in Skyrim, ESO is your game. I enjoy just getting high and exploring a zone at times. Just as much as sitting around and playing Skyrim on my Switch.

Sometimes I unlock a new house or something after doing a questline, and it rules.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

feel like ESO is a full bore Elder Scrolls game for Elsweyr on its own. it's pretty much a full Scrolls game for just the Black Marsh too

probably a Scrolls have for each of the faction's full OH silver/gold content too

poo poo there's an awful lot of content

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

feel like ESO is a full bore Elder Scrolls game for Elsweyr on its own. it's pretty much a full Scrolls game for just the Black Marsh too

probably a Scrolls have for each of the faction's full OH silver/gold content too

poo poo there's an awful lot of content

It's Skyrim if they kept adding new areas. And I love it for it. Especially since I can use a controller easily.

Also Murkmire rules.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
TIL that if you're in the middle of a public dungeon, and your dungeon finder group pops, when you're done it sets you outside the public dungeon and you gotta go through it again :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

xZAOx posted:

TIL that if you're in the middle of a public dungeon, and your dungeon finder group pops, when you're done it sets you outside the public dungeon and you gotta go through it again :(

You'd think I'd eventually learn not to do this, but, well.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've never really felt that this was "Skyrim online". I'm fact, the initial launch got so much poo poo because that was what people wanted, and they failed on it.

The world and questing though are all pretty great, and I think do a good job of being very Elder Scrolls. There's also the obvious superficial stuff like the ui and looting poo poo everywhere that give super Skyrim vibes.

But the combat, progression, leveling, 3p camera all feel like a pretty different game (not necessarily in a bad way mind you), very much stuff more suited to a modern MMO.

It 100% nails that Skyrim vibe of "I'll go do that task over there", and then you get distracted 500 times on the way there, then it's hours later and you're just finally getting to that task. To me that's the best part, and probably one of the more important ones.

I literally struggle on what to do once the five minutes for the writs are done, and I'm queued up for a dungeon. Go do some quests? But it'd be nice to wait until my gear was more settled, so I'll go work on farming that set. But then I need to finish crafting to improve those pieces, if I even get them. Better do some maps for supplies. But my refine skills aren't maxed, better so get some skyshards. Do delve and public dungeons too for points. Huh, might as well get this quest that goes with this dungeon. Go turn this in. Might as well knock out these other shards near by. Wait I got a new scrying lead! That's new, I should play with this. It's like a less lovely WoW archeology. Oh gently caress it's 1am, I gotta get to bed!

The specifics are different, but that was totally playing Skyrim for the first like 40 hours, until you start getting areas knocked out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

xZAOx posted:

I've never really felt that this was "Skyrim online". I'm fact, the initial launch got so much poo poo because that was what people wanted, and they failed on it.

The world and questing though are all pretty great, and I think do a good job of being very Elder Scrolls. There's also the obvious superficial stuff like the ui and looting poo poo everywhere that give super Skyrim vibes.

But the combat, progression, leveling, 3p camera all feel like a pretty different game (not necessarily in a bad way mind you), very much stuff more suited to a modern MMO.

It 100% nails that Skyrim vibe of "I'll go do that task over there", and then you get distracted 500 times on the way there, then it's hours later and you're just finally getting to that task. To me that's the best part, and probably one of the more important ones.

I literally struggle on what to do once the five minutes for the writs are done, and I'm queued up for a dungeon. Go do some quests? But it'd be nice to wait until my gear was more settled, so I'll go work on farming that set. But then I need to finish crafting to improve those pieces, if I even get them. Better do some maps for supplies. But my refine skills aren't maxed, better so get some skyshards. Do delve and public dungeons too for points. Huh, might as well get this quest that goes with this dungeon. Go turn this in. Might as well knock out these other shards near by. Wait I got a new scrying lead! That's new, I should play with this. It's like a less lovely WoW archeology. Oh gently caress it's 1am, I gotta get to bed!

The specifics are different, but that was totally playing Skyrim for the first like 40 hours, until you start getting areas knocked out.

Yeah, this is something I caution lots of new folks about. There's a lot to do, so loving much, and pretty much all of it is useful or necessary in some way. It's easy to kind of spin your wheels and feel like you aren't getting anywhere (though in your case you sound like you're having fun with it so right on keep going)

But if the sheer amount of stuff starts weighing on you, I'd say just focus on 2 or 3 things, max them out or complete them or whatever, then move on and do others.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

xZAOx posted:

And now .... Endevours!! :smithicide:

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006